PDA

View Full Version : Need Game recomendations

coma
24-Feb-2007, 12:43 AM
I only have a PC, no console. I am looking for a new game for me along the lines of Call OF Duty 2. I only want 1st persons shooters. I dont care if its a scifi thing or war, but something with that kind of gameplay. I dont know anything about whats out there and I get too many red herrings when I look around.. Can you people help me out with some direction, please?

capncnut
24-Feb-2007, 01:05 AM
Half Life 2 for starters, but I'm sure you know about that already.

DVW5150
24-Feb-2007, 02:44 AM
Have you played Far Cry ? Also I suggest Area 51 (if its available on the pc)... Return to Castle Wolfenstien ( id software, legendary fps action, they did Quake & Doom series to name a few so you know its quality) , & Unreal are my recommendations for your visceral fps experience .:skull: These titles are probably pretty reasonable price-wise too . HL 2 rocks as Captain makes clear .

CoinReturn
24-Feb-2007, 03:44 PM
Do you play online at all? Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Halo 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Prey, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2...those are good PC shooters. I know you said you only wanted FPS, but you should try out Company of Heroes. Its a real time strategy game where you lead squads of soldiers in WWII. I was sick to death of WWII games but COH made the genre fun again.

coma
24-Feb-2007, 05:14 PM
Half Life 2 for starters, but I'm sure you know about that already.
Played one years ago. Never tried 2.
I dont really know anything about whats out there. I could count the modern games I have played on 1 hand

Have you played Far Cry ? Also I suggest Area 51 (if its available on the pc)... Return to Castle Wolfenstien ( id software, legendary fps action, they did Quake & Doom series to name a few so you know its quality) , & Unreal are my recommendations for your visceral fps experience .:skull: These titles are probably pretty reasonable price-wise too . HL 2 rocks as Captain makes clear .
Never heard of Far Cry. I was thinking fps was frames persecond until I realized what it actually was. duh. I dont know any game jargon either
viscareal and realism is what Im looking for COD2 is both and I cant keep playing the same thing

Do you play online at all? Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Halo 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Prey, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2...those are good PC shooters. I know you said you only wanted FPS, but you should try out Company of Heroes. Its a real time strategy game where you lead squads of soldiers in WWII. I was sick to death of WWII games but COH made the genre fun again.
I have never played online. HAvent been able to figure it out, though its probably not that hard. I have only semi recently finally had a comp that could run a more up to date game.
Company of Heroes looked good on commercials, and I will look for it (based on what you say), but stategy games tax my brain a bit and I am kinda looking for thrills and chills and the pink mist.

Thanks for all the reccomendations. Appreciated. If you think of more, I am still interested in more.

I really like the war games. Its my latent desire to be a soldier but I am pretty much 4 F. plus its safe:)

Gears of War looks ultra sick, but isnt that only console?

Isnt there a Vietnam game for PC and a pacific theatre one too?

capncnut
24-Feb-2007, 05:24 PM
Well Half Life 2 is way more action orientated and open spaced than the first. A true piece of gaming legend. If you like to mix up your FPS with a little brainwork then Deus Ex - Invisible War might be worth investigating. One of the best FPS games in my eyes. Gives you so many options and career choices in game. Wanna enhance yourself with biomodification at the cost of your good looks? Wanna sign up with the local military? Wanna be a religious terrorist? Wanna work for the Illuminati? That's why I love Invisible War so much.

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2007, 06:48 PM
As a major FPS on PC fan, here's a list of must-have FPS games:

Half-Life 2 - if you ain't played this, you're a loser. :lol: Unfolding story in/during the game, kick ass semi-post-apocalyptic/war-torn world (kinda East European looking), just a great game.

Call of Duty (the original) - obviously not as good as COD2, but like it ... without the theory of hindsight, COD1 is like COD2: Lite...the COD1 add-on "United Offensive" is also lots of fun.

Doom 3 - old school "remake" of the original Doom, lots of gore and monsters running around in the dark, lots of excellent lighting, cheap scares and fantastic audio.

Painkiller - basically you versus a load of monsters, you just run around killing a lot of demons and such with cool weapons like the stake-gun, whilst listening to heavy metal music. Really simple, but the sort of "bish-bash-bosh" fun you might be after now and then.

Brothers In Arms - take Call of Duty 2, take away the scale and the chaos, and add in tactics. It's all about you ordering your two squads of men around to advance on the enemy and then kill them. Aiming is apparently "realistic", but to me it's more like trying to aim when you're drunk. There's a sequel coming out or out already.

FarCry - merceneries and monsters on a beautifully rendered tropical island, the story is a bit weak and the outdoor sections are far better than the indoor bits, but overall it's one of those FPS 'key notes' along the way.

Quake 4 - like Doom 3, but with fancier level design and more fun, without the cheap scares.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - coming out on March 23rd. You are encouraged to be as stealthy as possible, it's essentially a free-roaming FPS with elements of the RPG thrown in. Weapons will jam and eventually break, you can join clans/groups and go off together to complete objectives. This is my most eagerly awaited game of the past few years, it was delayed many times, but it's at the Half Life 2 stage of graphics. Visceral realism is all over this game, it's set in the crumbling wasteland of Chernobyl in 2012, it's filled with smashed up buildings, dank underground facilities without any power, the main reactor itself, the red forest and local villages.

Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault - the Pacific War, a bunch of Yanks running around in your squad yelling "there's a Jap!", you swarm through the jungle and across islands (the final segment is excellent). MOH is, now, always the step-child of the family. Good, but just not the same, as Call of Duty.

There's a new MOH game coming out called "Airborne", but that'll probably require a fairly hefty rig to run it.

Those are just some off the top of my head...ooh!

Battlefield: Vietnam - online style game (can be Single Player though), it's all about different classes of soldier (medic, assault, support, mechanic etc), LOTS of fun, I've been back to play it many, many times.

Battlefield 2 - same thing, but I'd most definitely recommend downloading some maps made by the modding community as the ones supplied are mostly either "meh" or crap, but it's the same classes of soldier style combat, but bloody good fun. You can even become the commander in the game and order your troops about, call in airstrikes and such.

Full Spectrum Warrior - haven't played it, but I have a copy. You barely get to shoot in it apparently, but you and your squad (whom you boss around) essentially go yomping around places that look like Iraq killing people in a tactical manner.

In the FPS world, it's best to expand your horizons as there are many types of FPS game out there.

Eyebiter
28-Feb-2007, 01:57 AM
System Shock 2 - older scifi horror fps with a great story

coma
28-Feb-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all these. I am looking into amost all of them.
Keep em coming!
Thanks!

Eyebiter
01-Mar-2007, 06:54 PM
If you have a fast internet connection check out Gunz Online. It's a free third person fighting/shooting game. Lot of various play styles, many weapons to choose from. Since the developers are in South Korea you get people playing from all across the world. The Korean style of play is very different from how most Americans are used to playing run and shoot games.

http://www.gunzonline.com