PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2 - What a cop out!

Neil
26-Feb-2007, 01:53 PM
So over the past 7 years or so we've heard various rumours about Team Fortress 2 (the follow up to Team Fortress Classic on the Half Life engine)...

We saw amazing screen dumps from a WW2'esque shoot, with fabled structured level command, talk of combined work on weapons etc etc etc etc...

And now with Half Life Episode 2 we finally get to see what they've come up.... and it's... Team Fortress Classic with better graphics! Woooh! Way to go Valve :rolleyes:

EvilNed
26-Feb-2007, 02:34 PM
Are you kidding me? I remember screens of that **** like 5 years ago, when Half-Life 2 wasn't even announced yet. So it's basicly the same maps and everything? Wow. That sucks on so many levels.

Danny
26-Feb-2007, 02:38 PM
hey the guys who made far cry have done it like half a dozen times:rolleyes:

CoinReturn
26-Feb-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't you think you're overreacting a bit? We haven't seen ANY gameplay footage, and only 1 map. Not to mention there has only been 1 trailer of the game released, and its months old. Knee jerk reactions ftl.

capncnut
26-Feb-2007, 05:26 PM
ueuhj9WsDzk&mode=related&search=

For a bonus game, I think it looks pretty f**kin' ace.

Neil
26-Feb-2007, 05:38 PM
Don't you think you're overreacting a bit? We haven't seen ANY gameplay footage, and only 1 map. Not to mention there has only been 1 trailer of the game released, and its months old. Knee jerk reactions ftl.

How so...?

I've been following news of TF2 for MANY MANY years... For a long time it was a WW2 or modern military shooter with heavy emphasis on voice communication and a structured level command system... ie: Something new!

Then, BANG, within the last year they give up and just port TFC to the Half Life 2 engine!

http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2/gameinfo/screenshots.shtml

MinionZombie
26-Feb-2007, 05:47 PM
And of course, what's proper gheay is that Episode 2 was delayed again recently and won't be out until the Autumn apparently, why? Rumours have it that it's because of console version development - so the PC version is probably ready, yet we get fudged over, oh thanks. Episodic gaming my arse!

CoinReturn
26-Feb-2007, 07:05 PM
Then, BANG, within the last year they give up and just port TFC to the Half Life 2 engine!

So its the exact same game, with no changes except for a graphics/physics update? No weapon balancing, different character classes, maps, stuff like that?

Neil
26-Feb-2007, 08:48 PM
So its the exact same game, with no changes except for a graphics/physics update? No weapon balancing, different character classes, maps, stuff like that?

Probably little... The classes are identical I believe, although a couple do have slightly different abilities I believe... But on the whole, its the same :rolleyes:

capncnut
26-Feb-2007, 09:17 PM
I say wait until release and then judge it. If it ain't coming out until Q3 2007 then who knows what they'll be doing with it until then.

Neil
27-Feb-2007, 08:13 AM
I say wait until release and then judge it. If it ain't coming out until Q3 2007 then who knows what they'll be doing with it until then.

It's being held back due to Episode 2 most likely...

But the story is probably they gave up... Infact it's obvious they did. They had developed new stuff and spoken about radical stuff, and now we're just (basically) getting new graphics...

I wonder how many people will stick with TFC because TF2 really offers nothing really new, other than slower performance?

Danny
27-Feb-2007, 04:30 PM
And of course, what's proper gheay is that Episode 2 was delayed again recently and won't be out until the Autumn apparently, why? Rumours have it that it's because of console version development - so the PC version is probably ready, yet we get fudged over, oh thanks. Episodic gaming my arse!

i only have a low end pc so console's are the only way for me to play it but the first one was ment to come out with half lfie 2 on the 360, and they STILL aint out yet, so this "episodic content" is technically "same price, half the length and twice the time to develop":mad:

CoinReturn
27-Feb-2007, 05:44 PM
I think you get a pretty good deal with the 360/PS3 versions of the game. For $60 you get:

Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Portal
Team Fortress 2

I don't mind waiting as long as they deliver a great game.

EvilNed
27-Feb-2007, 09:12 PM
There's a difference between releasing a game to early and hyping it beyond belief and then keep pushing it backwards and not living up to it's hype.

Typical examples are: Duke Nukem Forever (might live up), Daikatana, Fable, STALKER (Might live up... I think it will) and Team Fortress 2.

Craig
27-Feb-2007, 09:33 PM
Any Team Fortress game was never meant to be anything more than what it was in the original... A rocket launcher spamfest. I wouldn't want to get a TF game and find out it's a realistic tactical shooter.

MinionZombie
27-Feb-2007, 09:48 PM
lol, that looks pretty fun to me! ... likelihood of my playing it though? Unlikely ... I'll still be too busy jizzin' over STALKER when that eventually crawls into stores probably. :sneaky::p

Neil
28-Feb-2007, 07:52 AM
Any Team Fortress game was never meant to be anything more than what it was in the original... A rocket launcher spamfest. I wouldn't want to get a TF game and find out it's a realistic tactical shooter.

Valve disagreed with you for a LONG time... Until they ran out of time/money/effort and just ended up doing a pretty much direct port :rolleyes: