PDA

View Full Version : M. Night Shamaylan's "The Green Effect"

Danny
26-Feb-2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=49

nto 100% sure if this is legit but its a film were people world wide go nuts like in 28 days but rather than kill other people they kill themselves, commiting suicide in various way's.
god knows what the twist could be, but something i've recently though of has been bugging me, i recently found out lady in the water ,which looked awesome but i was too broke to see it was a complete failure at the box office, and i myself took the piss outta him after the village, but what the guys on the latest mega 64 podcast said struck a cord with me, sure he may be slightly typecast with his scripts, but has anyone ever been bored whilst viewing one of his films for the first time?, i havent there kinda like an episode of the outer limits each time and compared to the amount of remakers and uwe bolls in the industry i cant believe this script aint being picked up, even avatar had trouble.
This guy is predictably unpredictable but he does make good films, even signs was good in my opinion, but cus it became cool in the media to rip the piss outta him his scripts aint being picked up yet theres a remake of the awesome battle royale on the way just for people to lazy to read subtitles.:rolleyes:

great era for films huh?:bored:

capncnut
26-Feb-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't do Shyamalan movies - I just can't face them anymore. And who is remaking Battle Royale? Whoever it is deserves a slap in the face of the highest order. If it carries on this way, I shall give up on movies permanently and go back to reading.

Rottedfreak
26-Feb-2007, 09:53 PM
Signs only real failings were
- the kids book being accurate to how it all played out
- water being the aliens achilles heel
- 'coincidences' such as the placement of the bat, the kids asthma and so on was too much.
Little moments like the world sitting glued to the TV sets, shaken news desk reporter telling people the ships are making movements, the stuff left to the imagination regarding the invasion made it worthwhile.

Danny
26-Feb-2007, 09:56 PM
theyve all got there plus' and minus', i think after a slew of remakes and boll films im gonna be a bit more laid back with his movies.

Neil
27-Feb-2007, 02:43 PM
I really liked Signs! Even if it did have a couple of daft plot oversights :)

- 'coincidences' such as the placement of the bat, the kids asthma and so on was too much.

But that was the point of the whole film... A man who lost his faith found it again by what was almost without doubt divine intervention!

EvilNed
27-Feb-2007, 04:14 PM
I liked Signs. I didn't see The Village, but I know how it ends so I'm not in a hurry.

Whenever people bring up Signs they always say "It sucked! I mean... Water?".

So what? You're watching a film about aliens invading. Does their weakness REALLY matter?

Danny
27-Feb-2007, 04:39 PM
yeah i agree its not like loads of people whent up to h.g well's and said "huh..... really?, the common cold?".

Rottedfreak
27-Feb-2007, 08:21 PM
There's a issue with water because the Earth surface is 70% water, humans are composed of 70% water, all it would take is a bit of rain to wipe out the invaders and thats it.

Loads of people had issues with the ending to Spielbergs War of the Worlds with the aliens not thinking to check and take immunisations before invading (and also it seemed rushed, the son surviving, ect).

I can still think of a explanation - in both films they were not the true invaders, merely animals with intelligence equivalent of a primate following instructions for their masters, in Signs they harvested humans for some reason, in War of the Worlds they terraformed the earth.

Mind you i totally agree they have a good run right up until the pay off.

EvilNed
27-Feb-2007, 09:02 PM
Loads of people had issues with the ending to Spielbergs War of the Worlds with the aliens not thinking to check and take immunisations before invading

That's how it happened in the novel. And the original film. I bet MORE people would be pissed at Spielberg if he actually changed the ending, than the angry people who had never read the novel.

Of course bacteria would kill off aliens. The same thing would happen to us. The same thing happened to the indians.

Water? Meh, I don't give a damn. There are explanations for it. The aliens were dying, they needed more resources, they decided to chance it. They were going to die either way, and it's better to try and die than just sit back and say "Well, we almost survived. Yarr!"

CornishCorpse
27-Feb-2007, 09:28 PM
"The Green effect" is something I like the look off get yeah I see what everyone means about his predictable unpredictability, theres a very good Robot Chicken episode which points this out with M.Shamaylan bursting out with "What a twist!!" everytime something happens. Ill give it a watch when it comes out on dvd, I caught signs and it was okay I thought and the village I liked till the whole "twist" happened and then the whole movie seemed to be dented after that.

As for battle royale..What the titty fu**ing christ? I know the remake is planned and a company is trying to buy the rights to it but please there is no way that its going to come close to the original. The guy who directed Dawn 04 I think is meant to be directing, I read it on some BR site a while back. Already the plot is screwed enough that it will not be a class of students, but a group of young offenders taken from a young offenders insitute and used in the game.

_liam_
27-Feb-2007, 09:45 PM
battle royale is the exactly wrong for a remake, its not old enough to be forgotten, but its old enough to have a currently active reputation (as it were). most people will have seen the original.

i liked the war of the worlds ending. i think in the spielberg it was more the billions of microorganisms in the air and water that overwhelmed them, as opposed to the cold in the book. its an interesting idea, although yeah, you woulda thought the aliens would have known about it...but maybe they intended to invade the earth thinking it was in the state it was when they buried the tripods? i dunno. the ending with the son was naff though

El_Hooligan
27-Feb-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm so sick of M. Knight Shamalan-a-ding-dong.

Everything that guy does is pure, frothing sh*t.

capncnut
27-Feb-2007, 11:25 PM
A-f**kin'-men.

MinionZombie
28-Feb-2007, 08:09 AM
Capn - this new Halloween theme is pretty cool man, anyway...

Shallymallallyan's films ... *sigh*

Sixth Sense - I found it dull and boring and too smug about itself.
Unbreakable - I actually liked this one.
Signs - saw it in the cinema, but aliens - who are killed by water - invading a planet packed with the stuff was the biggest slice of retard-cake I've ever seen cut off onto anyone's cinematic plate.
The Village - a load of old bollocks, the twist was sh*te and again, so far up its own arse it's head popped out the top again.
Lady in the Water - I ain't watching anymore Shillybillyman movies, same formula peddled once again, yeesh.

The idea of an epidemic of worldwide suicide does sound intriguing, but with that guy on board ... where's the bat so I can "swing away"?

EvilNed
28-Feb-2007, 02:40 PM
liam: In the book the aliens were killed by bacteria (in the air, like in the films), it didn't specifically say anywhere that it was the year-around cold. The main-character might have speculated on it, but he was by no means an authority on the subject.

btw: I thank M. Night for one thing. That he's not remaking anything! In this day and age, that's a good thing.

capncnut
28-Feb-2007, 04:00 PM
Unbreakable - I actually liked this one.
I agree, it was the only film of his that I was actually able to sit and watch in it's entirety.

Capn - this new Halloween theme is pretty cool man, anyway...
Damn straight, that old out of tune piano twists my head up every time I hear it. :evil:

coma
28-Feb-2007, 04:06 PM
The guy who directed Dawn 04 I think is meant to be directing, I read it on some BR site a while back. Already the plot is screwed enough that it will not be a class of students, but a group of young offenders taken from a young offenders insitute and used in the game.
That kind of defeats the idea of Battle Royale, that normal kids are thrown into a violent do or die situation. I would expect nothing less than totally missing the point from the asswipes who made DOTD04.

Btw, Battle Royale was originally a manga, so is it really a remake or just another readaptation?

I loved Unbreakable. I think its one of the best superhero movies ever made. I have liked most of his movies. They are original and entertaining. Didnt see the village though or the newer one. I will eventually.

capncnut
28-Feb-2007, 04:21 PM
The guy who directed Dawn 04 I think is meant to be directing, I read it on some BR site a while back. Already the plot is screwed enough that it will not be a class of students, but a group of young offenders taken from a young offenders insitute and used in the game.
Zack Snyder is doing the Battle Royale remake? You gotta be s**ting me right? How many more movies is this little terrorist gonna f**k up? :mad:

bassman
28-Feb-2007, 04:53 PM
Zack Snyder is doing the Battle Royale remake? You gotta be s**ting me right? How many more movies is this little terrorist gonna f**k up? :mad:

He's only f*cked up one so far(Dawn04). I haven't seen "300" so that's still in the air.

He still has a good distance to go in order to catch up with Boll and Anderson's f*ck ups.

coma
28-Feb-2007, 04:54 PM
Zack Snyder hates our freedom!

Danny
28-Feb-2007, 05:01 PM
btw: I thank M. Night for one thing. That he's not remaking anything! In this day and age, that's a good thing.

my whole point exactly, sure you know theres a big twist that'll be obvious during the second viewing but its origional and entertaining, his movies are like an ep of the outer limits, only longer and sure i aint his biggest fan id welcome the green effect than a freakin' battle royale remake.

_liam_
28-Feb-2007, 05:12 PM
liam: In the book the aliens were killed by bacteria (in the air, like in the films), it didn't specifically say anywhere that it was the year-around cold. The main-character might have speculated on it, but he was by no means an authority on the subject.

ah might have to read that one again, been about 10 years. what i meant though was that the spielberg movie seemed to suggest that the aliens arrived on this planet which is basically engulfed by & teeming with micro organisms, and thats what killed them, rather than just bacteria or whatever. i thought that was a nice slice of sci fi brain candy, id never really visualised the earth as this suffocating cloud of life before.

shymalan dont do remakes? ever see carnival of souls - all i could think of during the sixth sense...

EvilNed
28-Feb-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't think Carnival of Souls and The Sixth Sense were that alike. But it was a long time ago since I saw any of them. The rest though are mainly original pieces of work. I usually enjoy them alot during the first run. And hellsing, I like your comparison to The Twilight Zone. I would definetly not mind M. Night reviving that show, btw...

As for Battle Royale, it was a novel before it was a manga or a film. So it complicates things even further. :p

MikePizzoff
28-Feb-2007, 06:11 PM
That's how it happened in the novel. And the original film. I bet MORE people would be pissed at Spielberg if he actually changed the ending, than the angry people who had never read the novel.

That's exactly what I tell my friends when they bring up the ending. Then they go "yeah, I guess you're right." :D

CornishCorpse
28-Feb-2007, 09:18 PM
Sorry to break the news about Snyder but it could just be a rumour and I hope that it is, the BR remake seems to be a adaptation rather than a remake. Only hope Snyder has if he goes from the book word for word..anyone read it? Thats it my top 10 books, along with I am legend blatantly.

Btw the manga is sh** hot.

shadowkid
28-Feb-2007, 10:05 PM
Shyamalan is a complete fraud.

After his first few films failed he decided to steal the powerful twist from Jacob's Ladder and build the plot of The Sixth Sense around it. He then made a half-decent movie Unbreakable to partly redeem himself only to then go on and make crap after crap after crap each one even worse than the last.

How he is still paid to do this for a living is beyond me.

spawn630
01-Mar-2007, 03:42 AM
As for Battle Royale, it was a novel before it was a manga or a film. So it complicates things even further. :p

And the manga, or so I read, its more faithful to the book, and expands a little bit on the characters, and way waaaaaaaay more violent.:elol:

Danny
07-Mar-2007, 04:25 PM
since neils been posting tons of links form there ive been scoping out aintitcool.com and theres an article on this film, now apparently called "the happening" and it says.

"Ok - just finished the script. This has the potential to be the best film M Night has made."

"If you've ever seen NO BLADE OF GRASS - combine that to the premise of something like Stephen King's THE CELL - and you're heading in the direction that this movie goes in."

heres the full article, i think this will bring peoples respect for shamylan back and im really looking forward to this one.:)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31785

capncnut
08-Mar-2007, 01:00 AM
I'll see what the reviews are like before I see this. I mean, it sounds good but then again, it always does at first.

Danny
08-Mar-2007, 02:06 PM
i think the basic drafts online somwere im gonna look it up, so far it doesnt sound too bad.