PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson may leave Top Gear

capncnut
13-Mar-2007, 03:18 AM
WTF? :confused:

LONDON Jeremy Clarkson’s future with Top Gear was shrouded in confusion last night as the presenter dropped hints that he might leave the motoring programme.

The blunt-speaking frontman said the BBC show would not return for a new series in the summer. Writing in a national newspaper on Saturday, Clarkson said: “After last week’s Top Gear, the continuity announcer said the show would be back in the summer. “Can I just say, here and now, it won’t be.”

If he's going then I ain't watching, here's the link (http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article1499832.ece).

DVW5150
13-Mar-2007, 03:22 AM
I never miss Top Gear when I can . I wasnt too thrilled with the stretch limo stuff . I get it on the BBC channel here . I love it & hope (Clarkson) stays .

Danny
13-Mar-2007, 03:35 AM
man i dont watch it often since i have no love for cars, but when i do tune in its only cus clarkson makes me laugh.

who else would turn a fiat panda into limo?:lol:

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2007, 11:26 AM
The BBC had better keep him on the hook, they lost him once with Top Gear, they'd better not lose him again, Top Gear is f*cking fantastic, it's my favourite show on TV and Clarkson, along with Hammond and May makes for a superb trio.

Hopefully it's, as one of the commenting folk say on that site, just Clarkson causing some fuss with the BBC to inspire them to pay him a bit more, and to be frank, he probably does deserve a bit more cash for the show, because it's superb - besides, Clarkson came up with the new Top Gear format, which has earned the BBC millions, it's shown to 250 million people around the world. In fact, they should all be paid more I say, they work hard and make utter quality programming.

Interesting that they're saying back in the Autumn for the main series, and in the summer have a special ... damn, I was hoping for series 10 in the summer and then series 11 in the autumn! :grumpily groo: :D

capncnut
13-Mar-2007, 03:33 PM
Interesting that they're saying back in the Autumn for the main series, and in the summer have a special... damn, I was hoping for series 10 in the summer and then series 11 in the autumn! :grumpily groo: :D
It just wouldn't be the same without ol' Clarksy, his nerdy car rants are a pure joy to watch. It would be such a shame to lose him. The BBC have a winning formula with the current presenters and I think they should do whatever they can to keep them sweet.

MinionZombie
13-Mar-2007, 07:29 PM
Most definitely, they'd lose far more money stopping the show at this point, they'd be complete and utter fools. I say give all of them more money, including the crew, because there's a hell of a lot of time, effort and love put into the show.

Hopefully Clarkson is just busting their balls to make a point, generate some panic amongst the fans and the BBC themselves. If the BBC f*ck this one up they can pretty much kiss goodbye to Top Gear, it just wouldn't be the same without him, it's a trio show, and it's THAT trio and ONLY that trio.

capncnut
14-Mar-2007, 08:46 AM
it's a trio show, and it's THAT trio and ONLY that trio.
Word biyatch. I know he'd probably host a similar type show but it wouldn't be the same as Top Gear. It wouldn't surprise me if he was busting the BBC's balls - it's something I can imagine the guy doing out of sheer boredom just to wind 'em up, the scallywag. :D

Danny
14-Mar-2007, 08:48 AM
id love to see him as a guest star on ray mears or something, that'd be funny as hell.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2007, 12:01 PM
*fingers crossed that Clarkson is just busting balls to make a point*

*fingers crossed that the BBC doesn't f*ck it up like a bunch of numpties*

It must be ball busting, cos Clarkson surely must know that if he left, Top Gear wouldn't really be able to continue, and that's f*cking with two other guy's livelihoods, as well as all the crew ... but a bit of bluster to blow some smoke and fire under the Beeb's asses never hurt.

capncnut
15-Mar-2007, 05:20 AM
Don't sweat it bro. You know ol' Clarksy is just bustin' their balls a lil' bit (Pesci moment). :D

MinionZombie
15-Mar-2007, 12:33 PM
I look forward to this "Top Gear of the Pops" thing in a couple of weeks, and apparently there's a special in the summer - and I think it might be a race (a la DB9, Veyron etc)...I remember Hammond saying something in an article about filming a race, so perhaps that's what the summer special will be - I hope so, those races are superb. :cool:

capncnut
16-Mar-2007, 01:04 AM
Me and my cuzz were discussing a Top Gear movie. I think it would work, maybe they should do a Gumball type event and have the build up, race and finish. Either that or like a 'quest for the world's greatest car' type thing. Those lads are so charismatic that I think they could pull it off mate.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2007, 11:06 AM
Well if the American special (9x03) said anything, it shows that they can pull that kind of thing off, I'd always thought of Gumball being a great thing for them to do, Top Gear 3000 or something, that'd be wicked.

capncnut
16-Mar-2007, 11:37 AM
It would be proper and bung in a load of celebs for the whole gloss of it. Let's write in and send 'em a letter. :lol:

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2007, 12:05 PM
Apparently part of this fuss about Top Gear is the presenters (so I've read) are in talks because they're kinda pissed off about how the show 'is relying on celebrity guests' ... erm ... what?

Aside from the celebs in the back of the limos, what reliance? It was Clarky's idea to have Star in a Reasonably Priced Car anyway! Perhaps he means the sort of pandering like when Hugh-bleedin-Grant was on there and got a whole 10 bloody minutes, meanwhile Simon Pegg only got 8 - which is more of a respectable time for that slot.

The gang want the cars to be the stars, so they must be having talks about the show's format, looking to regain some clarity I think...

capncnut
16-Mar-2007, 12:16 PM
That would be fine with me. I'd love to see it go more 'back to basics'.

MinionZombie
16-Mar-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, I think series 6 was probably about the right balance, although series 8 was superb I think.

I love the challenges, series 9's challenges were probably a little less focussed than previous series, but it's an entertainment show with cars. The car reviews are excellent, but I also love the challenges and special features ... it's about moderation of both really.