PDA

View Full Version : Latest remake news... "Call me Snake!"

Neil
13-Mar-2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117961020.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Hot off the socko bow of "300" this past weekend, star Gerard Butler is at the center of a package that CAA began shopping Monday for a remake of John Carpenter's 1981 actioner "Escape From New York."

Neal Moritz is attached to produce, with "Black Hawk Down" scribe Ken Nolan penning the screenplay.

Several studios are battling for the pic, mostly because the $70 million launch of "300" signaled the arrival of an emerging action star in Butler. A deal is expected to be made this week.

Butler would play Snake Plissken, the one-eyed convict who's charged with heading into the inescapable maximum security prison formerly known as Manhattan to liberate the U.S. president.

Kurt Russell originated the role and reprised it in the 1996 sequel "Escape to L.A."

MikePizzoff
13-Mar-2007, 01:44 PM
:barf: :barf: :barf:

To quote Discharge:

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!

Cykotic
13-Mar-2007, 02:07 PM
this film must NEVER get remade. It's one of the few classics that we have left! I swear, remaking films is gonna kill the industry. only in a few cases can a film be remade. Escape from New York has nothing wrong with it, thus, it shouldn't be remade!!!!!!!!

DjfunkmasterG
13-Mar-2007, 02:48 PM
$20 says Zack Snyder is tapped as director.

bassman
13-Mar-2007, 03:04 PM
$20 says Zack Snyder is tapped as director.

He's working hard on getting "The Watchmen" to the big screen. I'm thinking the studio will try to do EFNY as fast as possible and put some random music video director on it just to get it done. Then it will turn out like McG's "Charlie's Angels" or something.:lol: :shifty: :hurl:

Neil
13-Mar-2007, 03:50 PM
McG's "Charlie's Angels" or something.:lol: :shifty: :hurl:

I've still not forgiven my other half and her friend for taking me to that pile of pubescent pooh!

I'm so glad I added this emoticon --->:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

capncnut
13-Mar-2007, 04:17 PM
<unsurprised but pissed off>

I'm so glad I added this emoticon --->:hurl:
You knows it, best one on there. :hurl:

zombie04
13-Mar-2007, 10:00 PM
I just want to know why they couldn't make John Carpenter's Escape From Earth? Sure it would probably be a lot like Escape From LA, but at least it wouldn't be a remake.

DjfunkmasterG
13-Mar-2007, 10:27 PM
we need the emoticon that beats it's head off a brick wall

:D

Danny
14-Mar-2007, 01:41 AM
why?, just...why?, god leats these frikkin retards all get fired so the remakes firggin' stop :hurl:

Neil
14-Mar-2007, 08:28 AM
we need the emoticon that beats it's head off a brick wall

:D

Yeh! It's bloody annoying we don't have that one!! :annoyed:

_liam_
14-Mar-2007, 08:45 AM
oh..
i am now numb to the ignominy of discovering an iminent crappy remake of a movie i hold dear...so many times has it happened now...:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

Danny
14-Mar-2007, 08:52 AM
next up on the hollywood remake list:

the goonies
back to the future
the addams family
jurassic park
the terminator
ghostbusters
nightmare on elm street
clerks
trainspotting

.....kidding, wonder if anyone had a heart attack then, most likely bassman what with the ghost busters inclusion :lol:

capncnut
14-Mar-2007, 09:18 AM
The uncanny thing is that the first two are probably very much in the works. They've been talked about for long enough.

Danny
14-Mar-2007, 09:30 AM
*expletive deleted by moderator for incredibly foul language* -:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DjfunkmasterG
14-Mar-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeh! It's bloody annoying we don't have that one!! :annoyed:

Didn't see it yesterday when I wanted to use it. WOOT! :annoyed:

Neil
14-Mar-2007, 12:05 PM
Didn't see it yesterday when I wanted to use it. WOOT! :annoyed:

Just added it for you :)

bassman
23-Mar-2007, 12:03 PM
Finally....someone had the balls to say it. Kurt Russell interview:

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly the original Snake had this to say: "...when I was told who was going to play Snake Plissken, my initial reaction was 'Oh, man!' [Russell winces]. I do think that character was quintessentially one thing. And that is, American... People come up to me and say, 'You played Snake Plissken.' I didn't play Snake Plissken, I created him!"

When asked how he'd feel if he were approached to be in the remake, Russell says: "F--- that! I am Snake Plissken! It's like Sean Connery always watching someone else do their version of Bond."

capncnut
23-Mar-2007, 01:38 PM
When asked how he'd feel if he were approached to be in the remake, Russell says: "F--- that! I am Snake Plissken! It's like Sean Connery always watching someone else do their version of Bond."
Damn straight Kurt, you tell 'em! :cool:

capncnut
08-May-2007, 02:32 PM
Here's that interview (http://movies.about.com/od/interviewswithactors/a/escapeny040707.htm).

DVW5150
08-May-2007, 05:22 PM
...themselves in their own kneecaps for even considering do a re-make of Escape from NY!

Neil
03-Jul-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33189

MissJacksonCA
03-Jul-2007, 11:15 PM
There's just some movies where you know the remake is gonna suck :barf:

capncnut
04-Jul-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, we all knew it was coming so what can you say?

MissJacksonCA
04-Jul-2007, 02:13 AM
say no thanks :mad:

mista_mo
04-Jul-2007, 02:31 AM
why put up such a fuss about remaking a friggin movie....it's not that big of a deal.

MissJacksonCA
04-Jul-2007, 02:33 AM
why put up such a fuss about remaking a friggin movie....it's not that big of a deal.

cos its fun to be outraged :mad: :mad: :moon:

capncnut
04-Jul-2007, 12:31 PM
I wonder what the promotional tag-line will be?

"Once you're inside, you're on your own."

"Never trust a Snake." :rolleyes:

This has got s**t sandwich written all over it. I wonder if they are gonna keep the terrorist hijack scene in the new script?

darth los
04-Jul-2007, 12:42 PM
say no thanks :mad:

People always say that they're not going to see a movie but in the end they end up making tens of millions of dollars in box office revenue. People don't always do what they say they're going to do. The only remedy is for people to stay away from crap, otherwise they have no incentive to make beterr, original films.

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 06:23 PM
There's a new candidate for Plissken (http://www.joblo.com/could-timothy-olyphant-be-the-next-snake-plissken-breck-eisner-talks-remake)

I didn't really approve of Gerard Butler, but if Timothy Olyphant is now the front runner.....I want Butler back. I like Olyphant in some things and he does have a history with the new director, but he is JUST NOT RIGHT for Plissken. Maybe if this all pans out he will be good in the role, but I highly doubt it.

AcesandEights
24-Jun-2010, 06:34 PM
Good going, Bassman! You had to go making fun of Snake's camo tights the other day and now, suddenly Hollywood decides this movie needs to be updated.

Coincidence?:rockbrow:

By the way, I agree. I like Olyphant in some roles, but as Plissken? Then again, going with a non-carbon copy direction might be nice if their going to bother. Well, let's just hope it doesn't happen.

PS--use of the word 'suddenly' in the 2nd sentence of my post is purely for hyperbole.

bassman
02-Feb-2019, 03:53 PM
It should really come as no surprise, but all these years later and they’re still trying to remake Carpenter’s Escape From New York. Now they’ve hired Hollywood’s current “it” man, Leigh Whannell(Saw), after the success of his latest film, Upgrade.

He’s recently been linked to tons of new projects, but I have to admit that I have faith in his fandom and the possibility of making a decent remake. I’d rather there be NO remake, but seeing as that’s not an option, I do feel like he’s a good candidate.

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/leigh-whannell-tapped-to-write-and-possibly-direct-escape-from-new-york

MinionZombie
02-Feb-2019, 04:17 PM
I've heard good things about "Upgrade", and Whannell has good writing chops in genre fare, so good luck to him.

This all said, I'd much rather this happen: make a re-quel (a sequel that reboots the franchise) starring Wyatt Russell (Kurt Russell's real-life son) as Snake Plissken's son. You could even have Kurt turn up at some point and lend a hand in a way only Snake knows how. You keep the previous films as they are and in-continuity, you can have an actual father/son relationship bleed over into the film itself, and it'd be kinda cool as an idea.

bassman
02-Feb-2019, 04:25 PM
^ That’s an interesting idea. I didn’t realize Russell had a son in the business, as well. Seeing as Hollywood is starting to realize that full-blown remakes aren’t as well received as sequel/reboots, I could see something along those lines actually happening.

Neil
02-Feb-2019, 04:57 PM
I've heard good things about "Upgrade", and Whannell has good writing chops in genre fare, so good luck to him.

This all said, I'd much rather this happen: make a re-quel (a sequel that reboots the franchise) starring Wyatt Russell (Kurt Russell's real-life son) as Snake Plissken's son. You could even have Kurt turn up at some point and lend a hand in a way only Snake knows how. You keep the previous films as they are and in-continuity, you can have an actual father/son relationship bleed over into the film itself, and it'd be kinda cool as an idea.

I see some of Kurt Russell in there... But not snake?!!

https://articlebio.com/uploads/news/2017/04/21/actor-wyatt-russell-is-married-to-sanne-hamers-also-know-about-his-family-and-married-life.png

bassman
02-Feb-2019, 05:28 PM
Oh wow, I’ve seen him in a few things but didn’t know he was Russell’s son! He was really great in a recent episode of Black Mirror!

JDP
02-Feb-2019, 06:40 PM
↑↑↑↑↑↑ He's in that pretty interesting new AMC comedy/drama show with alchemical overtones, Lodge 49, where he plays a "Big Lebowski" type character. He's good for that type of role, but I doubt he would make a good "Snake Plissken" type.

Re-making Escape From New York is a terrible idea. Almost as bad as trying to remake John Carpenter's The Thing. Some movies achieve a "perfection" of their own and simply cannot be improved upon, no matter what you try. Therefore they should be left "as is" for posterity, with no other "versions" around.

MinionZombie
03-Feb-2019, 10:50 AM
Yeah, remaking EFNY would be a shite idea. However, if they insist on doing another one, I'd think a 're-quel' would be a nifty idea.

Wyatt has range, though, I think I first saw him in 22 Jump Street where he plays a lovable doofus jock, then I saw him in Cold In July where he plays an absolute nutjob scumbag who makes snuff movies, then in Black Mirror he was more of an ordinary bloke in an extraordinary scenario. So I think he could totally pull it off - he wouldn't be Snake in a re-quel, rather Son of Snake ... ... Snakelet. :D But seriously, I think that'd be a pretty sweet idea and it could even follow along from EFLA's 'lights out' ending +25 years, say. Perhaps Snake's decision caused a lot of trouble and resulted in an even more authoritarian Presidential regime. Perhaps Snake's son, under new legislation, was deemed 'criminal by association' and has been slammed up in some new fancy prison so this time it's a break out story rather than a break-in?

Of course, we can jibber jabber all we like, Whannell will write what Whannell likes. :D

bassman
03-Feb-2019, 01:17 PM
I like the idea! Especially now that I know who is son is. He has a “likable vibe” to him like his dad.

After seeing the recent Netflix film, The Christmas Chronicles, in which Kurt still has his long hair, and of course a big beard, I could totally see him still doing a sequel to the original series. Of course I don’t know if they should give his character too many stunts, but if they could work out a solid story with a good supporting cast to go on the adventure with him.....I’d be there with bells on! Or more fitting, with my skin-tight camo pants! :p

Neil
03-Feb-2019, 07:35 PM
I like the idea! Especially now that I know who is son is. He has a “likable vibe” to him like his dad.

After seeing the recent Netflix film, The Christmas Chronicles, in which Kurt still has his long hair, and of course a big beard, I could totally see him still doing a sequel to the original series. Of course I don’t know if they should give his character too many stunts, but if they could work out a solid story with a good supporting cast to go on the adventure with him.....I’d be there with bells on! Or more fitting, with my skin-tight camo pants! :p

As long as they don't let Carpenter very near it!

shootemindehead
06-Feb-2019, 10:16 AM
They're just going to make a balls of this.