PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Tree

LouCipherr
23-Mar-2007, 03:11 PM
Ok, since these guys are from the UK, and many of the members here are also, I figured i'd ask - anyone even ever heard of this band?

They've been around for years and years, and as much as their main singer/songwriter/guitarist, Steven Wilson, hates the reference, I still consider them "Pink Floyd Jr." because not only is their music psychedlic at times and progressive in others, they just remind me of Floyd the way they are not writing "singles" to slap on an album of mostly filler, but instead making albums to be enjoyed as a "whole" - not just in bite sized pieces. ;)

Their last two albums, In Absentia and Deadwing were fantastic and major leaps for the band. They have become a bit 'heavier' as the years go by because Steve Wilson apparently has been getting into some serious undergound metal music, but they still write plenty of mellow songs too. They're VERY difficult to catagorize because their songs go from singer-songwriter songs, to progressive songs, to all-out metal, back to psychedlic floyd-like songs. You can't just slap them under one label and say "this is the kind of music the play" I think that's the most appealing thing to me about them. There aren't that many bands out there now that don't concern themselves with their popularity. These guys just keep pushing forward, forging a unique path not walked on by others, and not giving one damn about musical trends and what's "popular"

Their new album, "Fear of a Blank Planet" is coming out in early April. It's over 50 minutes long, and get this - only 6 songs are on the album. :D So much for "singles"! :lol:

I just picked up tickets to go see them here in the states in mid-May. I cannot WAIT to see these guys live. They don't get to the states very much (aside from their last 2 tours - and they've been around well over a decade), so I snatched up the opportunity to check 'em out. They just recently released a live DVD called "Arriving Somewhere..." - and omg, is it a pleasure to watch these guys perform. I think their drummer, Gavin Harrison, is one of the most talented drummers/percussionist on the planet.

Check 'em out - if you like bands that don't cater to the 'flavor of the month', don't write 'singles' and you like progressive floyd-like music, this band will spark your interest for sure. Especially if you're like me and like albums to be a journey through music, and not just 12-14 singles or individual songs on one album.

PORCUPINE TREE OFFICIAL WEBSITE (http://www.porcupinetree.com)

I have a feeling most people are gonna say "Porcupine WHO?!" :lol: but I had to ask.

Tell me there's someone out there that has heard of 'em...?

LC

***edited to add: the first review of "Fear of a Blank Planet" was just posted. I love the title of the piece: "The first mandatory album purchase of 2007 has arrived" :D Check it out HERE. (http://www.porcupinetree.com/images/CR04072007.pdf)

DjfunkmasterG
23-Mar-2007, 03:29 PM
The Tree did what to your Porcupine? :D

LouCipherr
23-Mar-2007, 03:55 PM
The Tree did what to your Porcupine? :D

:finger:

:lol:

bassman
23-Mar-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah, man. A buddy of mine turned me on to them a few years back. Good band. Just as you said, most of their albums are one peice and I love when bands do that.

LouCipherr
23-Mar-2007, 04:54 PM
Awesome, bassman! i'm glad someone has heard of these guys other than me. :D I have to admit, I figured this thread would go un-replied to. ;)

Their concept of what an album should be is what I dig the most. None of this "lets put a single on the album so we can get radio play" - They've ever catered to that line of thinking.

I tried to turn Dj onto them, but they're a bit off-kilter for his musical tastes. He's not much into music with lots of time signature shifts and songs that are played off-beat intentinally, but I love that kinda stuff - especially when you have a drummer like Gavin Harrison and a bass player like Colin Edwin. Those two lock together in a rhythm section that would give just about anyone who appreciates music a woody! :lol: :D

I think one of the other things I dig about Steven Wilson in particular is his attitude 'twards record companies. They were pretty much self-distributed for years and years, then finally landed a distribution deal, then ended up on an indie label (if I remember correctly) in the UK, with Delerium distributing their imports to the US (which is how I found them). Their last two albums were released under the "Lava Records" label here in the states (a subsidiary of Atlantic if I remember correctly) and their new record is on Roadrunner - but the great thing is, he keeps 100% artistic control over his music. This is obvious by their latest CD 'cause there sure as hell is no "singles" on it for radio play - and it's the first record they've done for the Roadrunner label - how ballsy is that move!?

They're a rare breed in music, that's for sure.

LC

DjfunkmasterG
23-Mar-2007, 08:14 PM
:finger:

:lol:

:doublefinger:

:D :lol:

capncnut
24-Mar-2007, 01:39 AM
Never heard of them but I've heard of Victor Wooten. :D