PDA

View Full Version : Blindfold CD review

capncnut
27-Mar-2007, 02:12 AM
Okay folks, not sure how many of you know but HPotD’s very own DVW5150 has a rockin’ little outfit called Blindfold. Not too long ago he sent me a few tunes (including a Romero Jam) which impressed me and after much persuasion, the motherf**ker sent me a CD. 12 tracks long and clocking in at 48 minutes, it’s not a finished album but it warrants a review so here it is.

‘Blind Dream’ opens the CD on a majestic note before pounding your head in with a sturdy fusion of hard rock and light metal, with dreamy vocals that crashes into a wave of synth bippety-bop and a tight assed riff that I guarantee would have non-metallers asses so tight that you couldn't put a bus ticket between their cheeks.

Next up is a great cover of Pink Floyd’s ‘Young Lust’. It’s here that I realise the guitar work on this CD is absolutely s**t hot and not dissimilar in sound to musicians such as Leslie West or Randy California. Very old skool me hearties! The song fades out with the sound of DVW working the telephones at a telemarketing job. :D

Groaning in at track 3 is ‘They Lie’ with it’s low down dirty beat and trippy Sabbath-esque vocals. A twiddly solo dazzles in this number and you get the feeling that the track ends way before it should have. A creeper.

‘Heroes Welcome’ is an instrumental in DVW’s own words: “My friend who was in Delta 121, the squad of former Black Op’s that found Saddam, says it makes him proud and sad at the same time. He told me, ‘Play this for as many people as you can.’” I completely agree, it’s hard to shake of the emotion with this track. The military drum beat really hits where it hurts and the sheer feel of desolation/emptiness in the guitar work leaves a tragic aftertaste. Dude, this track needs vocals man, I’m f**kin’ serious!

On a more light-hearted note, ‘Nasty Girl’ is an up-tempo slice of alternative rock on the same road as a later day Pearl Jam track. Short, sweet, to the point and very melodic.

One for the gamer’s, ‘Shooter’ is all about the F.P.S. <high five mon :cool:> and nothing more. A juicy riff, followed by a neat little solo which accompanies a backbeat that includes the odd gun blast from ‘Area 51’.

Easing it’s way in at track 7 is ‘Clairvoyant Amnesiac’, 2 and a half minutes of bollock-rocking riffery and solo technics. It’s at this point I realise that not only are Blindfold a f**king amazing group but also their songs are lacking focus a little. Not to take anything away from them but every instrumental I heard until this point could have been improved 10 ‘fold’ (arf, arf) with the addition of more vocals. There are some f**king amazing tracks on here Darrel, your voice is great man and I hope that by the time you get this mixed, you've got some more lyrics down bro.

Next up is ‘Facemeat’ which, clocking in at 7 minutes 6 seconds, is the longest track on the CD. Another instrumental, it bubbles with an electronic fizz that stomps like a skinhead chasing a pink robot. Nice basswork too (or was it the Psone Music Generator?). :sneaky:

‘Coming At Ya!”, which is a brand new track recorded recently without any vocals yet, is a lightening–paced space-thrash through the cosmos. Had me moshing like a motherf**ker and definitely one for the Hawkwind fans!

Another vocal-less newbie is ‘Wheels Are Turning’ which creeps in like something out of ‘Songs For The Deaf’ by Queens Of The Stone Age. A drunken back alley crawl at 2am laced with screeching alley cat solos.

‘Burn’ drips in with a beautifully placed slice of acoustic mellowness that explodes with heavy ejaculations. Just a lovely feeling overall with this one. A biblical quote plays over the fade-out in a tragic homage to the piece, “for destroying the destroyers of the Earth.”

Nicely closing the CD is ‘Grow’ which is a faith affirming shot in the arm, perfectly complimenting the previous track - a gracious synthesiser melts on top of a blanket of warm guitars and friendly smiles. Damn, I can’t believe the CD is over…

…but not yet. There is a hilarious hidden track, the contents of I wont divulge but if the group have any sense they will add it to the final mix. ‘F**king brilliant’ one might say.

I am not rating this on an amateur scale because the musicianship is so worthy, I can’t help but judge it as a professional piece. Overall, I would say at least a 7 or an 8. If you had more vocals (especially on ‘Heroes Welcome’, ‘Coming At Ya!’ and ‘Grow’ to name a few) and a better mix then I would even be inclined to rate it a 9. Dude, with a bottle of whiskey in my hand and a smile on my fizzog, I gotta say your music has touched me. Now let’s get some vocals on this bee-yotch and bust this motherf**ker!

Oh, and enjoy your holiday bro. :lol:

DVW5150
27-Mar-2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks for giving my tunes the time and effort of attention . Theres an old saying , " god gave us the gift of artists so we could dream while we're awake ." Reading your review validates our efforts in Blindfold . I am perfectly understanding of all your points made in the track -by-track review . I hope I can get my buddy Norman (drummer , recording engineer mensa ) to join HPotD ... He currently haunts Homerecording.com . He and I have been jamming since 1984 ... we still get together almost every Saturday and write more Blindfold . We had a band in the 80s DC scene called Interval , but 3 singers later the bassist & I just couldnt see eye to eye .
So , Cheers Captknut , a brutally honest telling of what these Blindfold songs are like ... Anyone interested in a disc , please contact me .
Again , Capt thank you ...

capncnut
27-Mar-2007, 03:23 PM
No worries man, anytime. :)

DVW5150
27-Mar-2007, 07:32 PM
That got on there by error . I wrote as music for a GAR type of movie . Back in 2000 , I composed it on the Playstation Music Generator . I liked the way it came out , and have recorded others w/ guitar tracks too . The name "Facemeat" is really funny , and as horror chase-living-dinner goes , I think it fits the imagination . :elol:

capncnut
28-Mar-2007, 11:01 AM
I agree, Facemeat works amazingly well. I've heard the CD twice now and it's getting better with every listen. I got a couple of bro's coming over to watch Night Of The living Dead 07 later and after that I'll give 'em a blast of Blindfold. I'm sure there's gonna be a few devil horns waving in the air tonight man. :D:cool:

DVW5150
30-Mar-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree, Facemeat works amazingly well. I've heard the CD twice now and it's getting better with every listen. I got a couple of bro's coming over to watch Night Of The Living Dead 07 later and after that I'll give 'em a blast of Blindfold. I'm sure there's gonna be a few devil horns waving in the air tonight man. :D:cool:

How did that go Capt? Was Night of the Living Dead '07 what you hoped it would be ?
Did your friends like the CD ? We are going to remix the Romero Jam , I'll send you a finished version soon .
We are recording this saturday ... We have a song in the works called "The Presidents Brain" . Really odd chords and disident notes that make no sense .
Album title from the past (80s): "In no sense , Nonsense ." Name the artist for a prize of no value whatsoever .:lol:

capncnut
30-Mar-2007, 12:10 PM
How did that go Capt? Was Night of the Living Dead '07 what you hoped it would be?
The movie is awesome and already in my top ten zomb films of all time. Yes, it's that good.

Did your friends like the CD? We are going to remix the Romero Jam , I'll send you a finished version soon.
I used it as backing and it went down well Darrel, Young Lust especially. Can't wait for the Romero remix. :D

We are recording this saturday... we have a song in the works called "The Presidents Brain". Really odd chords and disident notes that make no sense.
Good luck with that bro, I expect a listen sometime soon.

Album title from the past (80s): "In no sense , Nonsense ." Name the artist for a prize of no value whatsoever. :lol:
Art Of Noise. How do I know that? I remember the video for Dragnet. :p

DVW5150
02-Apr-2007, 10:05 PM
Will be sent soon (ish) ... My buddy (drummer , all around musician & recording engineer extraordinare) has to get the contents off disk he backed up . All the tracks of spoken word and more will be used . I think he is going to join HPotD , I just went back & joined Homerecording.com , mentioned your review (shamless plug) ... He read it (your review) already , is thankful to you for your indepth listen to our efforts . So Captknut , thanks again , you are part of the lexicon of Blindfold supporters . BTW , Blindfold will be a real band soon . We have a bass player in mind so ... look out . Or rather , listen ... whatever .
Shroom for me Bro !

coma
02-Apr-2007, 11:28 PM
The movie is awesome and already in my top ten zomb films of all time. Yes, it's that good.

Yes, and its really different. theres actually not many ZOmbie scenes. It mostly about dealing with the sutuation/

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 11:32 PM
So Captknut, thanks again, you are part of the lexicon of Blindfold supporters. BTW , Blindfold will be a real band soon. We have a bass player in mind so... look out!
Now that's some cool s**t right there brother. :cool:

Romero Jam, that was sounding a little freaky the last time I heard so I hope you've made it worse in every way :D. Are we talking new solos and riffs or just a solid re-hash?

Actually I've listened to your CD a good 5-7 times now and it improves every time. I find myself singing over instrumental parts and I can hear uncapitalised riffs and hooks. Man, they have so much potential and I know you got it in you to pull that s**t out. Damn straight I'm a Blindfold fan, I live for rock n' roll!

"You must be a Pisces." :lol:

Yes, and its really different. theres actually not many zombie scenes. It mostly about dealing with the sutuation.
I can't sing Night '07's praises high enough. One of the best independent movies I have ever seen in my life, no s**t. Very bleak.

DVW5150
03-Apr-2007, 03:43 PM
We will most likely take the original tracks and enhance them , add bass , some guitar pyrotechnics , but we want the focus to be the dialogue from GARs films (we did add some select lines from Dawn 04 w/ Savini , "Put another round in that woman over there , shes a twitcher ." & " See ? America always sorts its sh!t out.") So enough spoiling , next saturday will begin re-mixing ...:skull: Bassman311 has an mp3 of it too ... he wasnt too impressed , but thats the nature of mixed-media , it gets different reactions .

DVW5150
21-Jun-2007, 04:04 AM
Between wondering where my youngest daughter put her socks & the other screaming that life isnt fair, you let alittle fairness in with your review Captcnut.
"Romero Jam" will be done in time , it has only dialogue at the beginning at one spot in the middle, " Oh, only ten more minutes?"
"I dont want 'em to do anything but drop over!", was priceless, but a tad over used in the start.
The guitars are too over the top, & sometimes you have to back off something to return with a component that fits.
"Burn", really I imagine a girl that is left alive after a nuke, she ventures out looking for her home, at the end she dies in what was her moms den.
Norman has the ability to write the same way I do , but in his own way.
We dont think about what we do initially, when playing the root tracks (guitar & drums), intuitively those 2 tracks come out as a good start as tracks to build on.
The composition just flows, like we are channeling it.

I am very happy that you dig the tunes Capt. As a third generation musician, its time for this Blindfold to bet out there so people will hear it.
I have had (many points) in time where I was doubtful , like its not worth the effort, that I am deluded, crazy, have a Napolean complex.
If your crazy, you dont know it . Having something like music in you , that is so irrepressible (like having to play your instrument almost everyday or you arent right in the head) can give you extreme doubt of whether or not you are any good. I have had days where I have just imagined me chucking my Charvel into a bonfire.

Some of the softer tunes have a simularity , a continuity that I think has a positive hope that everythings going to be okay, while some of the other tunes wreak havoc, in your face fu* u & grind this concrete into your orange juice.
But , its the question that drives me, will more people listen & enjoy this ?
I am betting (crissed fingers) yes.

You are a real human being Captcnut , again thanks.

Graebel
21-Jun-2007, 01:15 PM
I was curious so I caught the YouTube clips.

I really liked Heroes Welcome. An excellent song all around. The other song didn't play very clearly on my computer (but its a work one - so its not like they bought me very good speakers). Some of the vocals got ground out but I liked it as well.

Do you guys play in Maryland?

DVW5150
21-Jun-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah, sometimes the audio can be iffy on playback off youtube...
We dont have a bass player, Norman & I trade off on who adds the bass track in the studio. If we had a bass player we would be playing in DC, MD & VA ...
We have been jamming for over 25 years at least, so its kinda second nature Greabel.
If you liked "Heroes Welcome" I succeeded in my mission, thats all that matters to me that people get the message.
The are some ****ty things on youtube, so I try to do things that have something in the content that makes the viewer think, as if I have that ability.
Along with guitar, I paint , love to edit video, and write, so I try to combine those 'talents'.

Havent seen you here, nice to have cool people .

I love this site .:moon: Its all good.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 05:15 PM
The people at this site are like a little club. 90% of the time we support each other in their endeavors.

Graebel
21-Jun-2007, 06:14 PM
The people at this site are like a little club. 90% of the time we support each other in their endeavors.

90%??? ***Checks club book regulations.***:eek: I've been in violation.:D

No, seriously. THey were good songs. It doesn't hurt that I generally listen to rock, but a buddy of my dad's is trying to make it in the country music scene. And honestly, that guy was better than the new Toby Keith crap (I only know cause I saw it on Colbert).

Let me know if you post anymore songs.:D

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 07:30 PM

Yep you've been a naughty girl. :evil: Welcome back by the way. Been a while. It's always good to have a woman's perspective around. :D

DVW5150
22-Jun-2007, 02:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrfp7UlEESU

Its nice little time waster w/ visuals from Doom 3

Let me know if you post anymore songs.:D

Click above gets you there.

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 03:10 AM
That was awesome thnx. So that's where the name for the thread in games dicussion came from. :rockbrow:

Graebel
22-Jun-2007, 11:42 AM
Yep you've been a naughty girl. :evil: Welcome back by the way. Been a while. It's always good to have a woman's perspective around. :D

Yeah, I had to step out for a while.:| However I got to see Grindhouse and 28 Weeks Later in the same month and it revitalized my zombie love. (yes, I understand that they're 'technically' not zombies - but still.)

Nice link, DVW!!! I think I hate you. You're a great muscian and you play Doom better than I do.:mad:

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I had to step out for a while.:| However I got to see Grindhouse and 28 Weeks Later in the same month and it revitalized my zombie love. (yes, I understand that they're 'technically' not zombies - but still.)

Nice link, DVW!!! I think I hate you. You're a great muscian and you play Doom better than I do.:mad:

:lol: Don't hate congradulate. :D

Please post a review of those movies if you get a chance. I wanna know if they're worth picking up on dvd. thnx.:)

DVW5150
24-Jun-2007, 03:05 AM
:lol: Don't hate congradulate. :D

Please post a review of those movies if you get a chance. I wanna know if they're worth picking up on dvd. thnx.:)

Oh, yer darn tootin' they is !
I will be getting Grindhouse & 28 Weeks the day they come out on dvd
*chomps at bit*:skull:

I am glad that Blindfold is making an impression here...
Its Captcnut that made this start rolling ...