PDA

View Full Version : Getting immersed in games...

Tricky
27-Mar-2007, 10:07 AM
Do you still manage to get totally involved in the worlds games put you in,and give a crap about the plot as well?or do you think most games just feel like games,no emotion involved and you couldnt care less what happens to characters in there?when i was younger and had more imagination,i would get really involved and care about the plot etc,but these days a lot of games just feel clinical to me,a bit like having a girlfriend who is boring in bed :lol:

MikePizzoff
27-Mar-2007, 12:01 PM
OBLIVION

capncnut
27-Mar-2007, 02:46 PM
As Mike says, Oblivion is pretty much life consuming and you really start to care about the character you've created. Deus Ex, although not as big as Oblivion, was another one. The environments, setting, music, characters gave me goosebumps and I wanted to live that game for real. It's so cool it's beyond words really. :cool:

Danny
27-Mar-2007, 05:34 PM
i think the free mmorpg a play called maplestory is like that, like if someone stole something off me ill have avendetta, write there name down and if i see em again, ill kill em (virtually mind you). thats a pretty immersive game, being able to fight with swords and scrocery whilst still messaging your freinds who are playing and call em ''nob-ed's";)

Tricky
27-Mar-2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah i suppose its different in those kind of games.But such as call of duty,your fighting your way through a town & dozens of blokes are getting killed around you,but you dont care whatsoever,you just storm through like rambos grandad and dont feel connected to the NPC's in the game.When i was younger my imagination filled the gaps left by limitations in the graphics and linear worlds in games,but now i find it difficult to immerse myself in the game world & see it as "real" if you get what i mean.Hopefully the next generation of directX 10 graphics and hugely powerful PC's will inject a bit more "feeling" into games by making the worlds live and breath more :)

MinionZombie
27-Mar-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm totally "into" STALKER at the moment, I care about doing the right thing this first time through, I cared enough not to piss off Duty that I went and slaughtered three people from a group that Duty specifically despise, just so I could get into their good books. I have conversations with the NPCs, I show respect by lowering my weapon to friends, I'm doing people favours rather than selfishly following the main story to thus advance further in the main plot.

I'm totally into this game, I'm all about reading up on it and the different factions and mutants and areas and the history of it all and such, so it's definitely captured my imagination!

COD2 has no story beyond the diary entries on the loading screens, so it's all about a visceral experience, your immersion goes specifically for the excitement/action jugular and stays there. Like taking Pointe du Hoc, you can totally sucked into the action the first few times, and you feel like ducking your own head, you shudder at the explosions, you run around like you've cacked your kegs...

Grim Fandango - I really got into the story of that.

Half Life 2 - I cared about that, especially the character of Alyx ... yes, she IS fit, isn't she? :p

GTA often immerses me too.

capncnut
28-Mar-2007, 09:54 AM
Half Life 2 was immersive (and utterly fantastic) but it was a very short experience. It should've been much longer and the vast areas were mostly bypassed when riding the boat bike. I can't help but feel it could've been a lot more immersive - especially with the immense mappage that it offered. Oh and other than that strange fella following you everywhere in the game, there were absolutely no secrets whatsoever, apart from the odd extra crate of ammo. Shame.

Danny
28-Mar-2007, 10:02 AM
im hopeing alan wake will be totally immersive, since its a remedy game, looking at max payne from the wake forums ive read theres gonna be tons of areas, like cabins out in the woods and stuff were you can find stuff that have no relavance to the plot but are there nevertheless, and given the games mind blowig size, looks like were all gonna lose a fair bit of free time on that one:cool:

capncnut
28-Mar-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah the possibilities with Alan Wake look endless, let's hope they are.

MinionZombie
28-Mar-2007, 12:32 PM
WOOOOO! ALAN WAKE!!!

I hope they have a bunch of TV shows (not just images cycling either) like they did in the Max Payne games, it was really fun to take a chill and stand there for a bit watching one of the shows, followed by a bunch of adverts, really sucks you into the culture of the game world itself, you feel a part of it, and that's a nice touch - more in-game culture please!

capncnut
28-Mar-2007, 01:00 PM
Precisely why I loved the Deus Ex series - the news reports, advertisements and jukeboxes were totally awesome. And if you blew up a building or something, it would be on the news by the following level. :cool:

bassman
28-Mar-2007, 01:06 PM
"Ocarina of Time" was the last game I got REALLY immersed in. "San Andreas" became a close second but then my gaming routine dropped for a few years and I'm slowly starting to get back into it. I do enjoy "Call of Duty 2". I get excited when I'm doing that sh*t....

Anyone know of the release date for "Alan Wake" in the states? I see that it's July 6th in Europe but can't find anything about it over here.

CornishCorpse
28-Mar-2007, 09:30 PM
Stalker sounds pretty amazing from what Ive been hearing only problem is if my computer would run it dont want to blow fourty quid on something I cant use. The NPC`s sound pretty intelligent?

Yeah I still get really into games emotion wise, not many sadly being the gears of war. By the end of the game I really hated the locust thanks to the brutality and edge, the moral dilemma of running infront of a chaingun to rescue a collapsed friend calling out for help or to ignore him and save youre own ass.

Heh.

MinionZombie
28-Mar-2007, 09:41 PM
You can pick up STALKER for £18 on play.com ... that's if you're British anyway...

Yeah the NPCs seem pretty intelligent to me, as are the wildlife, they'll attack when hungry, feed off the corpses of other animals or dead people, they'll run away when you challenge them and they've lost their advantage in the feud, so that's pretty nifty.

The underground sections of STALKER are amazingly atmospheric ... especially X18 ... *shudders* ... I went back to Doom 3 tactics to calm myself down, muttering "oh yeah, whatchu chattin' about wanker?" and such, blasting down enemies (or flying crates from unseen psi-powers :eek:) in a panic. With corridors surrounding you, it all being dark except for your flashlight, then there's all the dodgy sounds around you, proper sh*t me up...for the first night since I got it, I won't be playing it before bed! :lol: All previous nights I've had trouble getting to sleep ... I know, I know, it's a fookin' game ... but it's just so dark and atmospheric and creepy as sh*t.

Danny
28-Mar-2007, 11:08 PM
Stalker sounds pretty amazing from what Ive been hearing only problem is if my computer would run it dont want to blow fourty quid on something I cant use. The NPC`s sound pretty intelligent?

Yeah I still get really into games emotion wise, not many sadly being the gears of war. By the end of the game I really hated the locust thanks to the brutality and edge, the moral dilemma of running infront of a chaingun to rescue a collapsed friend calling out for help or to ignore him and save youre own ass.

Heh.

...but they dont die for good in gears of war, just kill all the enemies and they get back up again.

WOOOOO! ALAN WAKE!!!

I hope they have a bunch of TV shows (not just images cycling either) like they did in the Max Payne games, it was really fun to take a chill and stand there for a bit watching one of the shows, followed by a bunch of adverts, really sucks you into the culture of the game world itself, you feel a part of it, and that's a nice touch - more in-game culture please!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_wake

chekc this updated wiki entry.

..you done reading it?, good, now how frekain' cool is that, all light kills them ,like the kyrll level in gow in reverse so you set booby traps that, when tripped flood a hallway with light ect. to kill any sneaking enemies.:cool:

MinionZombie
29-Mar-2007, 10:33 AM
Alan Wake is going to be a definite purchase alright, and it just sounds better and better every time new info comes out!

capncnut
29-Mar-2007, 12:06 PM
Well a GTA-style horror game will pretty much appeal to the whole world. It's gonna be a biggie. :cool:

CornishCorpse
29-Mar-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah I know that if you kill all the enimies they can get back up but that kinda takes the intensity out of it if you think of it like that. I like to get immersed in the game and so get into the game rather than thinking bah stupid NPC!

18 quid? Dizzam its like 40-50 down here in hmv..I need a paying job before I can invest in any pc games sadly :mad: Ah well when I do get a bit of cash thats on the list of games I need.

MinionZombie
29-Mar-2007, 06:30 PM
HMV?! Ah man you wanna ditch that place for Play.com, seriously, HMV are rip-off merchants of epic proportions. They have the odd good offer on (like 3 for 15 quid or something), but generally they rip you off. Play.com - that's what you want.

CornishCorpse
29-Mar-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the tip MZ, HMV is a rip off but until recently I had no other local option luckily theres a shop called fop which is offering very good movies for dirty cheap prices. Old Boy for 3 quid! I love that film, NOTLD anniversary edition for 1.50 and list goes on.

Yorkie
31-Mar-2007, 11:32 PM
"Ocarina of Time" was the last game I got REALLY immersed in.

Zelda is totally brilliant, if only they would bring em onto the PC :(

I once flooded the house cos I left the bath running while I was playing Red Alert 2, I had a hell of a lot of water to clear up but it was a lesson learnt :D

Danny
01-Apr-2007, 12:15 AM
Zelda is totally brilliant, if only they would bring em onto the PC :(

oh, that is just wrong.:lol:

Yorkie
01-Apr-2007, 10:11 AM
No it's not :( i like to play games on the pc plus I don't have a gamecube or Wii so I need it for the PC :p Although I did nearly buy a gamecube just to play Zelda

capncnut
01-Apr-2007, 11:44 PM
I think they should make these games for every format personally.

Yorkie
02-Apr-2007, 12:38 AM
I agree, it would save having to buy different machines for different games.

And of course then I could play Zelda :D

Danny
02-Apr-2007, 02:12 AM
No it's not :( i like to play games on the pc plus I don't have a gamecube or Wii so I need it for the PC :p Although I did nearly buy a gamecube just to play Zelda

cubes only cost about 25 quid nowadays, shame that the games are still expensive, pre-owned animal crossing for 30 quid?, there 'avin' a giraffe':rolleyes:

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 12:27 PM
cubes only cost about 25 quid nowadays, shame that the games are still expensive, pre-owned animal crossing for 30 quid?, there 'avin' a giraffe':rolleyes:
Innit, it's 25 gib in my local Geekstation but that's still way too high for a 2nd hand Gamecube disc. :eek:

Yorkie
02-Apr-2007, 01:38 PM
Just been and bought C&C3 so note to self, don't run the bath while playing it or at least put the taps on slow :D

As for the Gamecube it's pointless buying it for just one game that's all I would want really there is one coming out for the DS soon so might have to get that, used to the small screen since I played Links Awakening on the Gameboy :)

Exatreides
02-Apr-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm really into hearts of iron two right now. I have spent days just sitting on the computer invading the soviet union... Or driving the allied forces out of egypt and the middle east.

Really fun to pick a minor country like Romania or Turkey and lead them into glorious world war two imperical domination.

Tricky
02-Apr-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm really into hearts of iron two right now. I have spent days just sitting on the computer invading the soviet union... Or driving the allied forces out of egypt and the middle east.

Really fun to pick a minor country like Romania or Turkey and lead them into glorious world war two imperical domination.

Ive been like that with medieval 2,i spent most of the weekend on it!you just keep tinkering about or building forces,invading and so forth,keep hitting the end turn button & before you know it 6 hours have gone! :eek: its awesome though
http://www.journaldugamer.com/images/2006_08/medieval2_05.jpg

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 06:40 PM
Noice screenshot Trick. :cool:

Tricky
02-Apr-2007, 07:22 PM
Noice screenshot Trick. :cool:

Cant beat a good cavalry charge!its awesome where you see them lower their lances and go into a full on sprint while sounding a horn!usually smashes straight through enemy lines,but you have to pull them out quick or they get cut down in the melee fighting.
A painful lesson learned,dont send cavalry charging into spearmen or halberd militia

http://www.sega-universe.de/img/articles/3742/Medieval-II-Total-War-small-PC-small-12.jpg

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 11:11 PM
Tally ho old bean. That looks jolly impressive!

Dtothe3
04-Apr-2007, 11:06 AM
Oblivion. I Have racked up 21 hours play and still haven't gone to meet Martin to truly start the main quest.

I want to get the thieves guild, arena and dark brotherhood quests out the way before then :) and have some truly fantastic armour.

Anyone know where I could find a nice few pieces of light armour? I'm using a stealthy mage design who can shoot an arrow or two :)

capncnut
04-Apr-2007, 11:32 AM
I would save the Dark Brotherhood until later, too many character changing opportunities. Oh and if carrying capacity is a problem then make sure you have nothing but clothes and a weapon when you do the final Dark Brotherhood quest. Let's just say, you wont be finishing it empty handed. :D

Dtothe3
16-Apr-2007, 08:17 PM
Seeing as this is as relevent a subject that there will be, I'm going to vent my woes here.

My Nord Lars Baneblade is no more :(

Started getting an odd error involving pink blocks appearing over text. Wasn't so bad. It got progressively worse. Then it stopped letting me fast travel and my game was dead in the water.

Tried disk cleaning.
Tried a new disk.
Tried laser cleaning.

All other games were fine, eventually I wiped the file thinking it had just completely sodded up. Still nothing.

Only then I found out that if I'd had set the 360 to boot the disk on start-up and held (A), it would have deleted the hard drive cache, solving the problem. Bollocks. Apparently there's more then a few glitches with this game :(

EvilNed
16-Apr-2007, 11:35 PM
You had a Nord thief/mage...? :p

capncnut
17-Apr-2007, 05:32 PM
My Nord Lars Baneblade is no more :(

Started getting an odd error involving pink blocks appearing over text. Wasn't so bad. It got progressively worse. Then it stopped letting me fast travel and my game was dead in the water.

Tried disk cleaning.
Tried a new disk.
Tried laser cleaning.

All other games were fine, eventually I wiped the file thinking it had just completely sodded up. Still nothing.

Apparently there's more then a few glitches with this game :(
Luckily enough for me I don't use text, I don't like the way it's set up.

I had a problem with Oblivion once that made me re-start and it was concerning some strange NPC behaviour in Skingrad. Everytime I went near the place I was being chased by the Legion: "Hey thief, stop right there!" Now if I had actually robbed him then I can understand but I didn't do a damn thing. Couldn't get in or out of the place without a kick-off no matter how many times I restarted.

My cousin had a strange thing happen to her when she activated some stone and the game froze up a minute later. Happened over and over no matter what direction she travelled in, roughly a minute later - permanent freeze. The only way she escaped it was by fast travelling.

That game is full of bugs man.

MinionZombie
17-Apr-2007, 05:50 PM
I think I read something on the net about Oblivion and there being some kind of killer bug in the game after about 50 hours of gameplay or something like that, basically, it renders the game unplayable, even the saves. However, they're working on a patch to fix it (and the savegames apparently).

Sounded pretty f*cked up, read about it on ActionTrip.