PDA

View Full Version : A bit on Team Fortress 2

Neil
30-Mar-2007, 07:36 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160763

capncnut
30-Mar-2007, 11:32 AM
This is shaping up nicely. Can't wait to get to grips with the sniper and the dynamic mapping sounds awesome. :cool:

Neil
30-Mar-2007, 11:48 AM
This is shaping up nicely. Can't wait to get to grips with the sniper and the dynamic mapping sounds awesome. :cool:

Dynamic mapping?

Bit concerned about the medic thing... ie: Them making themselves and other invinsible for 10 seconds... Sounds too much like Quake power ups...

capncnut
30-Mar-2007, 12:38 PM
Dynamic mapping?

As a way of combating the repetitive nature of maps and adding a little bit of spice to the game, Team Fortress 2 will feature dynamic maps. That is, there will be large maps containing non-linear control points. At the beginning of each round, the game will choose two of these control points and players will duke it out on the part of the map between those two points and nowhere else.

Depending on who wins, the game will pick another two opposing control points, and so on until one team captures the other's base. A little bit confusing? Well yes - Valve had to draw it on a whiteboard for me to understand. Just think of it as different paths through a map opening and closing between rounds. In one round, a certain passage will be blocked, and in another, it'll be open. We played the Hydro map and it worked quite well.
Sounds good to me. :)

Neil
30-Mar-2007, 01:35 PM
Sounds good to me. :)

Ah yes!

Mind you , as long as they have Well and 2Fort... I'll be happy :)

The medic thing still worries me!

Bongholio
31-Mar-2007, 07:27 AM
would you like an infection or tranquilizing blowdart

capncnut
31-Mar-2007, 08:02 PM
I think it's gonna be most of the maps from the first with a few new ones bunged on top. You know it's gonna be a treat anyway.

Neil
16-May-2007, 07:34 AM
Cross platform support is in there! ie: PC players can play XBox 360 players... Going to be interesting to see who has the advantage. I mean without 'aim support' XBox players will get owned. But with 'aim help' it could go the other way...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13226/Team-Fortress-2-PCXbox-360-Interplay-Technically-Done/

capncnut
20-May-2007, 01:26 AM
Maybe this will provide a chance to finally see who's the mightiest of the two camps...

Neil
20-May-2007, 09:53 AM
Maybe this will provide a chance to finally see who's the mightiest of the two camps...

It will do nothing of the sort... It will only show how much aim-help is put into the console version :)

Craig
20-May-2007, 10:22 AM
:lol:

gJyOFXBPh2Q

MinionZombie
20-May-2007, 11:22 AM
It will do nothing of the sort... It will only show how much aim-help is put into the console version :)
And I know for a fact the PC players will do the pwning. :sneaky:

capncnut
20-May-2007, 10:09 PM

And I know for a fact the PC players will do the pwning. :sneaky:
Waffle, waffle, waffle... :D

Cody
21-May-2007, 12:37 AM
I think I might pass on this boys.

Neil
21-May-2007, 07:45 AM
Waffle, waffle, waffle... :D

Come on, let's be realistic... The only way the XBox control system would match a PC is if it uses a keyboard and a mouse... Two little analog joys are just not accurate enough - unless aim-help is employed..

capncnut
21-May-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, I reckon I could out-peoww anyone on Deus Ex Invisible War on Xbox. Sure, it's a single player game but I can outmuscle it BIG TIME on the highest setting... that has to be better than the average player PC or console.

MinionZombie
21-May-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, I reckon I could out-peoww anyone on Deus Ex Invisible War on Xbox. Sure, it's a single player game but I can outmuscle it BIG TIME on the highest setting... that has to be better than the average player PC or console.
Of course, playing against dated AI and playing against real people is a completely different thing, even these days some games have the sh*ttest AI. Playing against real people, especially real people hunched over a PC totting up frags ... that's a real lesson in pwnage, those chaps are unforgiving with their gheay little double-jump celebrations on your digital corpse after nailing you with a headshot.

capncnut
21-May-2007, 09:16 AM
Of course, playing against dated AI and playing against real people is a completely different thing, even these days some games have the sh*ttest AI...
Waffle, f**kin', waffle, there's no way you could lay as much firepower on me than HL2 (or Deus Ex) on the hardest setting. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
21-May-2007, 10:39 AM
Again, get a large enough game going with everyone against you, using human intelligence, you'll face a tougher task than any hard setting on a game using computer AI.

CornishCorpse
21-May-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey guys can someone help me out here, does team fortress 2 come FREE with half life 2: episode two? If so Ill be forced to find the cash but I wasnt a fan of half life 2..We dont go to Ravenholm yes but there was alot of excess rubbish in it.

Also I play alot of consoles and alot of pc and as earlier mentioned it will be no competition because of the aiming. The precision of the mouse is key. I was the king of BF2 on live but when it came to BF2 on the pc Ive never been torn apart so freakin quickly.

Big difference, hail to the mouse.

MinionZombie
21-May-2007, 07:10 PM
Hail to the mouse! HAIL! HAIL! HAIL!

Team Fortress 2 comes 'free' with Episode 2, but Valve pulled a really gheay move recently, they're no longer putting out the "black box" pack for PC (which was Ep2, TF2 and Portal), only the "Orange Box" (which was the only one for console owners) will be available on PC - and that includes HL2 and Ep1 - WHY THE F*CK SHOULD WE BE FORCED TO SPEND MORE MONEY FOR GAMES WE ALREADY HAVE???!!!

And you know what Valve said - ah they all have different accounts, so you can sell or give away HL2 and Ep1 if you already have them - :eek: - WHAT THE HELL IS THAT CRAP?!

Any PC gamer into FPS' worth their salt already has HL2 and Ep1, why must we be limited?!

Of course, buying it electronically via that pile of crap that is Steam, isn't affected, you can just get Ep2...but otherwise, if you wanna physically buy it, you're screwed.

Hmmm...methinks I'll "acquire" this one out of spite, especially as the last Steam update I did pissed up my Offline ability, so now I'll have to drag the whole damn desktop downstairs and put it online to update Steam again! :mad: WANKERS! :mad:

CornishCorpse
21-May-2007, 10:49 PM
Dag namit all I want is Team Fortress 2..It looks a game thats going to be fun as hell, so how much do you think the orange box is going to set me back? 80?

Neil
22-May-2007, 08:04 AM
Wonder if 'Left 4 Dead' will be cross platform too!

CornishCorpse
22-May-2007, 08:16 AM
I read somewhere that there will be a 360 release for definite although if the pc and xbox versions wil be coming out together or seperately is unknown. I guess we will have to wait for kristmas.

MinionZombie
22-May-2007, 09:10 AM
Apparently the "Orange Box" will retail for $50 ... so here in the UK I just don't know, perhaps £50 or £60, which is utter garbage and once again shows Valve up to be the retards with one stroke of genius under their belt once again. HL and HL2 were superb, but their business practice leaves a lot to be desired - it's basically contempt for the consumer, and I don't like that one bit. :mad:

capncnut
22-May-2007, 12:46 PM
Apparently the "Orange Box" will retail for $50 ... so here in the UK I just don't know, perhaps £50 or £60...
Most games on the 360 are £39.99 (although you do get the odd £50 game - make note Halo 3 fans!) but methinks HL2 will be something like £39.99 on the 360.

MinionZombie
22-May-2007, 01:56 PM
Hmmm...I duno about £40 on the SexBox...

The OJ-box is:

HL2, Ep1, Ep2, Portal, Team Fortress 2 ... I think that's all, so that's a lot of games in one package...I doubt that'll retail for £40, and I'm sceptical about even £50...Valve love the coc...er...money...:rockbrow:

Speaking of SexBox, I just started playing Dead Rising, that dumb bitch going after her dog, sheesh! Now I'm lying on the sofa in the security room, haven't gotten into it properly yet as I'll take a couple of hours and have a proper sit down with it, not doing that yet as the double finale of 24 is almost done downloading, so I've got some doublay-jack to down. :sneaky:

capncnut
23-May-2007, 08:47 AM
HL2, Ep1, Ep2, Portal, Team Fortress 2 ... I think that's all, so that's a lot of games in one package...I doubt that'll retail for £40, and I'm sceptical about even £50...Valve love the coc...er...money...:rockbrow:
There's no way, it'll be any more than that. HL2 has already been released on the Xbox and the incentive for purchasing it would be the supplemental stuff and that s**t alone ain't worth 40 quid.

It's like when Xbox got GTA. We had GTAIII and Vice City in one package for £29.99. I think it'll be the same with HL2. Sheesh, it's only a 2 disc set now.

MinionZombie
23-May-2007, 05:50 PM
Don't be so quick to judge Valve, those schmucks love the cash, heck, Episode One was £20 and up, and it lasts 6 hours...that's not value for money to me, a tenner at most for that. :rolleyes:

They'll find a way to make a fuss out of it, especially as most of the games in the package are new to the 360...plus it's Valve, the guys who think Steam is a good idea that works. :rolleyes:

Neil
24-May-2007, 11:30 AM
Oh dear!

The Scout is absolutely the most ridiculous character in TF2. He moves as fast as a roadrunner and has the benefit of a multi-directional double-jump. Though the Scout has very little health, he's the toughest class to hit in the open. Anyone who masters the double jump (which allows a mid-air directional change) is certain to give fits to the opponent. The Heavy, who moves at the pace of a slug, will be particularly vexed by the speedy Scout.

The Scout is the only class that should focus on melee attacks. Thanks to his speed, the Scout can quickly get behind enemies and crack them over the back of the head before they can turn. The Scout is particularly effective as an Infiltrator, running into the enemy base, dodging fire and causing mayhem. By that same token, the Scout can also be great for causing distractions. Use a Scout to draw the attention of enemies and have your Engineer sneak in and set up a turret while the opponent is occupied.

Super fast normally means super unskilled gameplay...