PDA

View Full Version : New Doctor Who ... yay!

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2007, 08:48 PM
Watched it this evening, good stuff, very entertaining.

I think this new girl is gonna be good, smart and intelligent, fit and well played.

Tennant was superb as usual as the man himself, and it was a funky little story ... although if someone just ran on and shouted "IT'S BLACK STIG!!! BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!" at one point (in reference to one of 'the slab' leather goons, or whatever they were called), then it would have been superb. :)

All in all, great stuff! :)

capncnut
31-Mar-2007, 09:15 PM
As an old skool Whovian (Patrick Troughton/Tom Baker) I have to say... it was okay. :|

Danny
31-Mar-2007, 09:38 PM
it was better than the lame werewolf one that started off seson 3 of the "new who", but you know its gonna pick up.
i dont mind more of the darleks and cybermen but they need to introduce a new enemy, stargate did it with the replicators without changing the overall theme of the show, like the spider thing in the last christmas special was trying to recreate its race, now taht would have been a cool new enemy, i mean the doctors like 950 years old or something youd think by now he'd be a little less shocked by just the darleks and the cybermen...again.

capncnut
31-Mar-2007, 11:01 PM
I like Darleks and Cybermen but at the end of the day, I'm want Ice Warriors man. :cool::D

Cykotic
01-Apr-2007, 06:38 AM
Wait... What episode are the Cybermen in?

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2007, 10:54 AM
it was better than the lame werewolf one that started off seson 3 of the "new who", but you know its gonna pick up.

If you mean the one with Queen Elizabeth in it, set in Scotland, that was 'new Who' series two, episode two. The first episode was set in a hospital many, many years into the future - it had cat-like nurses and a whole underground area filled with 'zombie people' infected with a whole variety of diseases. Zoe Wanamaker's character also made a return in the same episode.

What started yesterday was the 3rd series of 'new Who' - hence why it was labelled "Doctor Who III" on the clapper boards in Doctor Who Confidential after the show was aired. :sneaky:

Neil
01-Apr-2007, 05:17 PM
Is it better than the last series? Cos I wasn't very impressed by it! Is it better?

MinionZombie
01-Apr-2007, 06:00 PM
Didn't you watch it last night?

I enjoyed it, good fun it was. Next episode is set at the Globe Theatre at the time of Shakespeare with some kind of witchy type things I think...interesting.

I think Tennant is a sheer joy to watch as The Doctor, he plays the man himself just like I remember the Doctor being when I watched it as a kid (albeit in a more modern manner and a bit more obviously kooky) ... he's generally rather fun and rather nice, so when he gets sad or gets angry, it really carries some weight to it, and Tennant delivers that superbly.

Neil
01-Apr-2007, 07:41 PM
Didn't you watch it last night?

I enjoyed it, good fun it was. Next episode is set at the Globe Theatre at the time of Shakespeare with some kind of witchy type things I think...interesting.

I think Tennant is a sheer joy to watch as The Doctor, he plays the man himself just like I remember the Doctor being when I watched it as a kid (albeit in a more modern manner and a bit more obviously kooky) ... he's generally rather fun and rather nice, so when he gets sad or gets angry, it really carries some weight to it, and Tennant delivers that superbly.

Sorry the series with Eccleston was mostly excellent... Tennant may have potential, but the last series let the series down a bit from what it followed on from...

Eccleston was great!! And the stories (mostly) matched!

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 12:06 AM
I agree Neil, Ecclestone was top banana. :cool:

_liam_
02-Apr-2007, 10:59 AM
If you mean the one with Queen Elizabeth in it...

victoria, brah ;) .

i thought it was ok, also speaking as an old school whovian of 12 years experience, and as someone fairly critical of the last series, i thought it was a SERIOUS improvement on episode one of the last series, which had some good ideas but was marred by some really soggy sentimental bits.

however, old school fans across the world are outraged at how badly the judoon were a rip off of the sontarans from thd old school series...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/images/sontaran_experiment.jpg

MinionZombie
02-Apr-2007, 12:17 PM
Elizabeth, Victoria - that's the one I meant...

Anyway ... can't remember much of my Dr Who viewing past, were the Sontaran's also galaxy type police?

I guess the new Who's are kinda remaking the whole franchise in a way, not necessarily specific elements, but the whole show...so I guess that's kinda part of that process.

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 12:56 PM
Anyway... can't remember much of my Dr Who viewing past, were the Sontaran's also galaxy type police?
The Sontarans are far from policemen MZ - more like warriors hellbent on galactic war. And they look like turds too! :eek::lol:

But if they wander too far from their craft, they melt so I wouldn't exactly be scared if I bumped into one.

_liam_
02-Apr-2007, 02:21 PM
the klingons were a ripoff of the sontarans, basically.

the borg were a ripoff of the cybermen.

thats why star trek isnt on anymore, doctor who was off air for 15 years, they ran out of ideas to rip off from us :p

Neil
02-Apr-2007, 03:20 PM
the borg were a ripoff of the cybermen.

Hmmm... Bit of a push that!

erisi236
02-Apr-2007, 03:47 PM
Daleks and Cybermen? Haven't they both been "destroyed forever" like 50 times already? :D

I can see it now (Apologies to the Simpsons) Dr Who: So very tired.

"Doctor look it's the Daleks!"

*sigh* "Again with the Daleks."

_liam_
02-Apr-2007, 03:52 PM
Hmmm... Bit of a push that!

no way man, the cybermen are a race of emotionless cyborgs who exist as a collective/hive mind & abduct people to convert by force into more cybermen...thats the borg innit.

the cybermen's catchphrase was even "resistance is useless"...

i reckon the borg were more horrifying though.

nevertheless, i totally believe that...
http://www.fpigraphics.co.uk/blogger/Cyberman.jpg

+

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/morningstar613/cenobite.jpg

=

http://www.voyager.cz/rasy/images/borg/borg12.jpg

Cykotic
02-Apr-2007, 04:04 PM
hmmm... liam does make an interesting point. You can see where the Borg might be a Cyberman rip-off.

Personally, I'd be more afraid of the Borg. They adapt to any weapon. The cybermen can be killed fairly easily.

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 06:37 PM
Not only that but the Cyberman were created in 1966. :rolleyes:

Danny
03-Apr-2007, 04:11 AM
the cybermen, the new ones that is look cooler, kinda like the new cylons but the borg are way scarier in my opinion, cus all that advanced federation technology is useless against em, wereas the cybermen are tough but kinda lame at the same time.

MinionZombie
03-Apr-2007, 10:20 AM
But you can have a conversation with a Borg, with a Cyberman you can't, they're just hard-arse drones who yarp "DELETE!!!" at you, there's no reasoning in there, and that's scary stuff ... whereas with the Borg, they're always shooting the poo with whichever Captain they're snuggling up to now, trading words via the big TV on the bridge before they beam on board ... lol, have they never heard of a firewall?! Get one and block all Borg transmissions. :lol:

I don't watch Star Trek, just having a laugh, no need for nerdy "no, but..." type rebuttals, just 'avin' a larrrrrf, mate...

Dommm
03-Apr-2007, 10:48 AM
My fave doc is still sylvester Mccoy (think I spelt that right) but thats just to throw a spin on the whole thread.

capncnut
03-Apr-2007, 11:00 AM
My fave doc is still sylvester Mccoy (think I spelt that right) but thats just to throw a spin on the whole thread.
He was the worst by miles. :dead:

MinionZombie
03-Apr-2007, 12:13 PM
I remember watching the McCoy ones back in the day as a kid ... then I remember a while later when I was in primary school they were re-running a lot of the old Dr Who episodes, like in the Tom Baker, Peter Davidson etc era. Good stuff...I think it all kicked off with a Dr Who night or something like that...

Then of course there was the Paul McGann Xmas episode or something wasn't there? Wasnt' much cop as I remember ... but I don't remember much about it.

Back when I was a kid, Davros was terrifying, that one eye freaked me out...

capncnut
03-Apr-2007, 01:01 PM
when I was in primary school they were re-running a lot of the old Dr Who episodes, like in the Tom Baker, Peter Davidson etc era. Good stuff... I think it all kicked off with a Dr Who night or something like that...
Yes indeedy and I still have that Who Night on VHS. :cool:

Rottedfreak
03-Apr-2007, 02:02 PM
I think the cybermen are scarier. With the Borg your a drone connected to the hive mind, your not submerged in there trying to break free you are one with this consciece, theres a way to reverse being a drone through surgery. As a Cybermen you lose all physical identity and are going to be like this until your killed, worse still you could snap out of it and find yourself a sexless unfeeling machine and want to die, something which would be hard to pull off unless theres a energy weapon.

Danny
03-Apr-2007, 02:32 PM
He was the worst by miles. :dead:

the best three doctors by far, in my opinion, are christopher ecclseton, davidtennant and the legendary p-i-m-p himself, tom baker:cool:

capncnut
03-Apr-2007, 02:36 PM
"Would you like a jelly baby?" :lol:

Dommm
03-Apr-2007, 03:07 PM
each to there own, he was the one that perked my interest in the Dr Who mythos

_liam_
03-Apr-2007, 04:49 PM
mccoy gets slagged off but he was better than peter davison in my opinion...

i would be shot for saying that out loud in some circles...

i think the best doctors were;

william hartnell
patrick troughton
tom baker
colin baker
david tennant

MinionZombie
03-Apr-2007, 06:02 PM
david tennant

Perzactly! :cool:

His style reminds me of the old school Doctors, just a bit updated and a little more obviously kooky ... i.e. less crazy transport (that shonkey old yellow car), or less crazy attire (that MASSIVE scarf and hat) ... I guess he verbalises/physically represents, the Doc's inherent oddness.

Ecclestone was really good to reboot the franchise, but he was always a bit too gruff for me, like an underlying intensity like he was always one step away from headbutting you, Northern Style...whereas with Tennant, like the other Doctors, his general attitude/air is being nice and affable, but when he does kick off then you know sh*t's going down, and likewise, when he gets upset and such, it adds extra gravitas to the situation.

I've been really impressed with Tennant's performance as the man himself, top shelf banana alright.

_liam_
03-Apr-2007, 06:41 PM
he's got the best outfit too.

the key to a good doctor is seeming a bit weird but friendly one minute, then proper, stern, glaring headmaster giving someone a bollocking the next.

tennant is a who fan of many years, and i think he understands this totally

MinionZombie
03-Apr-2007, 06:52 PM
he's got the best outfit too.

the key to a good doctor is seeming a bit weird but friendly one minute, then proper, stern, glaring headmaster giving someone a bollocking the next.

tennant is a who fan of many years, and i think he understands this totally
Spot-the-fudge-on my chap, Tennant is reminiscent of the old school Doctors, and that nice 'default demeanour', which can be overpowered by sorrow or anger really packs a punch.

capncnut
04-Apr-2007, 12:25 AM
william hartnell
The Gunfighters. :lol:

tkane18
04-Apr-2007, 05:41 PM
I just hope they don't get in the habit of the Doctor getting romantic with every new companion he picks up. I actually like the cast dynamic a little better when he travels with 2 companions.

capncnut
05-Apr-2007, 01:23 AM
I just hope they don't get in the habit of the Doctor getting romantic with every new companion he picks up.
I gotta admit, that bothers me too. Are the scriptwriters being too loose with the Doctor's emotions?

Dommm
05-Apr-2007, 10:41 AM
I think its interesting that he is getting all romantic, I mean 900 odd years and no other time lords to play with, its gotta be fustrating.

Danny
05-Apr-2007, 01:50 PM
theres a "bigger on the inside" joke there but i dont think i can say it in any tasteful way:lol:

suicide22
05-Apr-2007, 02:48 PM
I think this DOCTOR is going to be doing some love-making with are lovely new Doc-babe this season. She could be the time lords next wife to be, the way he gave the impression that he felt about her in the first episode; she might feel the same?:) :cool:

_liam_
07-Apr-2007, 07:01 PM
anyone catch tonights?
aside from the naff climax with the crap cgi witches and the constant "i think ill use that" jokes, i thought it was pretty good, definitely an improvement on last week's...

Danny
07-Apr-2007, 10:35 PM
aye, totally better than the first one, i especially liked the ending which hinted at a later episode or something. hope it keeps getting better each ep like this:D

capncnut
08-Apr-2007, 12:32 AM
anyone catch tonights?
F**k, I missed it! :mad:

Danny
08-Apr-2007, 01:12 AM
ah man it was a good one:

and no i aint gonna spoil it for ya, bbc3 it byatch, snoogans,

capncnut
08-Apr-2007, 02:33 AM
You bitch! :lol:

MinionZombie
08-Apr-2007, 10:38 AM
Aye I enjoyed it...the CGI witches are the end weren't seen that much, and come on ... it's the BBC, they can only afford a certain number of shots per episode ... and it's TV ... in the UK ... so it's not going to be totally amazing, but compared to a few years ago, CGI in TV is actually pretty good these days.

I enjoyed it, the "I'll use that" jokes didn't grate on me, barely noticed the frequency of them. Tennant was awesome as usual...I think, perhaps, the chemistry between this new girl and Tennant is better than between Billie "Cos You Want To" Piper and Tennant ... speaking of Piper, has anyone recently seen that music video for her song? OMFGZZZ-LOL!1!11!!!111! it's BAD! The CGI dustbin that morphs into a piss-poor person, the character from the billboard, the Rhino-thing-doorman-thing, ah geez!

If you can't afford good CGI, then DON'T USE IT!!! :lol: (mind you, it was the mid-to-late-1990s).

Craig
08-Apr-2007, 09:55 PM
David Tennant is great, so much better than Christopher Ecclescake.

CornishCorpse
08-Apr-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh bloody right I caught yesterdays episode. Personally Im not a big fan of the doctor and the whole doctor who amazingness that surrounds the series. With the whole "Behind Doctor who" or "Inside doctor who" I cant remember the name of the show..."somewhere in the area that doctor who is" show made it all seem a little too childish for my tastes. Plus the whole toys and magazines made it childish.

I know Im going to get slated for saying in this thread but deep breaths people.

The thing is I caught the shakespearian episode and well..I bloody well loved it! Yes the CGI was limited and the whole " Ill use that" was over used so much but damn! Its a great home grown tv series thats going to be on for a while. The doctor is quirky and keeps the plot going while being light hearted but not so light hearted as to make the whole thing seem silly.

The guy from shameless was damn good also a nice variation from the guy to go from doing his girlfriend on some crates out back of the pub to being one of the most famous writers of british history.

Anyway Next week looks like a laugh but since theres the obvious love connection ( boing chicka waah waa ) between the assistant and the doctor kinda puts the ticking clock on the series aswell as the rumours about...

Spoiler: ( Dont know how to do the pop up thing )

A wedding? what the ****? really what the ****?

_liam_
09-Apr-2007, 04:58 PM
so, last year it was torchwood, year before it was bad wolf, this year we have this

http://www.votesaxon.org.uk/

is he the master? ooo

capncnut
09-Apr-2007, 05:17 PM
Could be man, could be?

Rottedfreak
09-Apr-2007, 06:48 PM
Saxons been mentioned already in a newspaper in Love and Monsters and throughout Torchwood (but you don't have to watch that...).

Danny
10-Apr-2007, 12:50 AM
yeah i was watching the first ep t'uther night repeated on bbc3 and saw that a "vote saxon" poster was taking up more of the screen than she was and thought "man thats almost as subtle as the cliffhangers at the end of lost:rolleyes: "

Danny
15-Apr-2007, 12:17 AM
okay, i think tonights episode was easily the best of this series and one of my favourite tennant episodes, i hope the thing the face of bo said meant what i think it implied not the typical anime "stick with your friends beside you" type cheese, plus graham norton as a catman was just freaky.
the teaser at the end seems to be ending two plot wholes form an eccleston and a tennant ep but well have to wait till next week to see.

capncnut
15-Apr-2007, 12:41 AM
Taped it this time. :D

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2007, 07:40 AM
Methinks that it might mean The Master?

Somehow I doubt it's that "stick wit-cho mates, bo!!" type thing, Martha suggested it, the Doc turned that notion down and his face displayed that he was proper sh*tted up by the suggestion, nay, statement from The Big Mug itself.

Pretty good episode, nifty ideas strewn throughout ... but still, it's the year 5 million (or was it billion?) and 53, and yet old women act like old women today and have old-ass irons and doilies and such (as seen closer on Doctor Who: Confidential afterwards ... now that's a bit iffy to me).

Neil
15-Apr-2007, 08:55 AM
David Tennant is great, so much better than Christopher Ecclescake.

Maybe yes, maybe no... But it's not as important as the scripts involved.

And in my opinion the Eccleston series had generally good, or excellent scripts. I also happen to think Eccleston was a more interesting 'character' - Maybe this was down to the scripts again...

I've actually basically given up watching it now :(

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2007, 01:28 PM
pfft, Neil, you're such a quitter! Quitting's for quitters...etc.

Tennant is definitely a better Who in my eyes, Eccleston was good to re-birth the show, but Tennant has the vibe of Doctor's past, and like I always say, his default setting of 'happy go lucky, jaunty type fellow' is nice and soothing, then when he gets glassy-eyed over the fate of his home planet, or super pissed off about some people pulling naughty-no-no's, then you feel "ah mate, sh*t's going down, must be serious then..."

Eccleston was good, but I always thought he was a bit too thuggy or perhaps a bit too intense as the Doctor...

Yes a good script does help, but if we forget about that and purely focus on the performances between the two, my money's always on Tennant. He's even suited and booted like a classic Doctor.

This series has been good thus far...

_liam_
15-Apr-2007, 01:56 PM
lol hellsing that wasn't graham norton, it was dougal from father ted!

i quite liked this one, nice to see the macra for the first time since 1967 or something, even if they werent used to their full potential.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/monsters1/images/340/macra.jpg
kewl.

visualising that woman giving birth to kittens was a bit disturbing though.

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2007, 02:31 PM
I didn't notice until it was pointed out in DocWho:Confidential but one of the kittens says "ma ma", awwww ... cute little thing ... aye, literally "having kittens". :sneaky:

I can't remember, but do those cat-man things have tails too?

Well, next week ... Daleks in 1930s New York ... :confused: ... okaaaaaaay...

capncnut
15-Apr-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/monsters1/images/340/macra.jpg
The Macra terror is a fantastic story from way back when. I had to read it though because those bastard BBC archivists destroyed pretty much two thirds of the first six series of Doctor Who - never to be seen again! <cries>

The Patrick Troughton (in the top 5 Doctors easily) stories that I want to see the most is Evil Of The Daleks and The Wheel In Space. Only two episodes of each story exist now (there's another 4 episodes missing from Evil and 2 from Wheel) and from the episodes I've seen they look awesome. The death of the Dalek Emperor (a new one returned during Ecclestone's reign) and the whole destruction of the Dalek fleet is nothing short of breathtaking when viewed today even by sixties standards. Again, that particular episode is missing and the BBC later found a clip of the scene in an old episode of Blue Peter or something.

I saw a documentary once called Inside The Tardis or something and it had an interview with an ex BBC archivist who said that on the first day of his job he was ordered to destroy all but the first episode of the very first 8 part Dalek story with William Hartnell. He was like "Bugger that" and took them home secretly. If it wasn't for him, we would've lost that wonderful story forever.

What the hell were the BBC thinking? :confused:

MinionZombie
15-Apr-2007, 04:01 PM
What the hell were the BBC thinking?

Nothing, most likely, they've made some dumb-dumb decisions in their time, not least binning old Dr Who episodes/wiping the tapes ... idiots. :rolleyes::mad:

_liam_
15-Apr-2007, 05:35 PM
yeah it's criminal what they did, but the thing was, back then repeats were rare and video didnt exist, and any episodes that could have been sold to overseas broadcasters had been flogged long ago, so they were just taking up space on the shelves.

tons of stuff got junked, 110ish episodes of doctor who, episodes of dad's army, steptoe and son, hancock, adam adamant lives, and pretty much the whole of the first quatermass series got rubbed.

stuff turns up though, there used to be 130 missing episodes, but odd ones turn up every now and then, the way they found a complete copy of tomb of the cybermen in hong kong gives me hope that more will turn up. there are some nifty recons out there these days too, some use CGI and stuff.

missing stories i want;

tenth planet episode 4

power/evil of the daleks

moonbase 1&3

and most of all

THE WEB OF FEAR

the web of fear novel & soundtrack own so badly. it's almost painful to watch the first episode, knowing the rest got burned :(

jLbaPPkVROc
the music & lighting, atmosphere, everything is good about this one, it's like a vintage universal horror.

capncnut
15-Apr-2007, 05:41 PM
THE YETI!!!

Re-read The Moonbase (Dr Who & The Cybermen) last year. Fookin' ace mon. :cool:

capncnut
02-May-2007, 06:34 PM
...the new Dr Who?

This (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007200234,00.html) has been in all the newspapers today. :confused:

MinionZombie
02-May-2007, 09:39 PM
:stunned:

Definitely gotta be a joke, that dude is sooooooo not right for it...and the other people they have on a list of possibles is equally as retarded.

Geez, what's with all these people running away from Who so quick?!

Danny
02-May-2007, 09:53 PM
i think, to keep it going his final regeneration should have a twist, like a mytosis thing, one timelord becomes two or something, itd keep the show going and give em another spin off series to whore off.;)

capncnut
03-May-2007, 03:43 PM
Liam and I are now running a forum on all things Dr Who if anyone's interested. At the moment it's just the basics but we are looking into all kinds of gizmos as we speak.

http://leisurehive.informe.com/

Shameless self promotion... :D

Danny
03-May-2007, 03:46 PM
and i would know about shameless promotion huh V:p

fartpants
03-May-2007, 03:54 PM
just had a quick browse at your forum Cap and it looks cool...:D :D

_liam_
03-May-2007, 05:46 PM
it has been proven that there is a link between not joining the leisure hive and eventually becoming a trekkie. join now so that you may stay clean

Danny
19-May-2007, 07:02 PM
oh good lord:rolleyes: , two weeks of waiting to see if the master was coming back and we get probably THE worst episode of the new doctor who ever, that sotry has been recycled from so many dr who, star trek adn stargate eps not even a cliche' anymore and they even used the bad guy behind the door trick and the "guess i foudn someone after all" line.
total clihce'/cheese fest, next weeks looks much better. but if you missed this one you didnt miss anything youll worry about.:bored:

MinionZombie
19-May-2007, 08:23 PM
The scarecrow one was supposed to be on tonight, it was trailed two weeks ago, but for some reason they showed this episode. :confused:

And yes, it was piss poor, the writing was f*cking awful.

Visually it was great and it was well shot, but the script was bollocks, so the whole episode sucked as a result. There's all this shouting and urgency, but a bunch of people we couldn't give a bollocks about. Those gas mask things were retarded as his jaw was poking out from under them, and if they were just welding masks, why do you need air vent thingies?!

So all this impending doom, and yet EVERYONE has plenty of time to gawp moronically at each other not understanding anything all the while the time is counting down, and despite being set over 42 minutes, the running time, it's not in real time.

Something that would have taken 3 minutes took about 7, and something that would have taken 7 took about 1.5. :rolleyes:

You can't throw the viewer in and expect them to be up to speed within 2 minutes, there's no connection to the characters...where did this bloke learn to write, Yawn04?! :stunned:

Visually rocking, but the script f*cked the entire episode up, no two ways about it.

capncnut
20-May-2007, 01:56 AM
Yeah, it was a mid-range Russell T. Davies effort, wasn't bad in places though.

MinionZombie
20-May-2007, 11:11 AM
But RTD didn't write it, I mean yeah he's got his fingers in the pies and has meetings with the individual writers, and no doubt his poor sight for good dialogue moments added to this episode's naff script, but it was some other bloke - the bloke sat in front of the AVID machine in Dr Who Confidential on BBC3...why is a writer sat in front of an editor's work station? That makes no sense...:confused:

Also, interesting how the Confidential programme now relies on clips from old, old episodes and covers 'space craft from back in the day, or monsters from back then' in relation to the newest episode...so they don't have enough stuff to cover the current episode, and WHY OH FOOKIN' WHY DO WE NEED TO SEE HALF THE SHOW BACK AGAIN IN CLIP MONTAGES WITH TRENDY MUSIC YOU HEAR ON RADIO ONE, WHYYYYYY?????!!!

I've just seen the bloody episode, I don't need to see it all over again, I want the behind the scenes sh*t!

Needless to say, with such a dud episode, I skipped away from it now and then and came back when they had the segment about space craft models and such from previous incarnations of the show, rather than listening to RTD bleater on about how it was such a well written show when it was actually complete smeg.

Danny
20-May-2007, 08:27 PM
yeah i cant take that ship crashing into big ben and satelite 5 anymore.:rolleyes:

capncnut
20-May-2007, 10:30 PM
But RTD didn't write it...
He's the series producer, son. He decides what gets made and what don't, therefore he's responsible. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
21-May-2007, 08:41 AM
Even though he's series producer, he still didn't write the episode. Clearly he was a bum-chum of the idea and gave it the green light for the actual writer to go off and do, RTD is there to give everything a through line and receive a fat cheque and talk with that really annoying, blocked nose voice (that sound always annoys the piss outta me for some reason).

The episode was still piss poorly written, utter tosh...it was like one recently, you're racing against time to find the difference on two plans, so oh yes, now is the perfect time to stop and have a heart-to-heart with someone you've only just met - F*CKING BOLLOCKS, IS IT! :eek:

Danny
21-May-2007, 10:17 PM
another wirting bit that bugs me is the doctor now seems to have aquired the catchphrase "im so sorry", seriously the emo git says it at least once every episode, in a cybermen one he said it like 9 times over a 2 parter.

capncnut
04-Jun-2007, 02:22 PM
Well, according to The Sun Online (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007250185,00.html) Doctor Who will be axed in 2008 anyway. WTF?

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2007, 05:40 PM
:rolleyes:

The BBC (and in turn many of those who work for them), really do amaze me sometimes.

Oh boo-hoo, you're getting paid shedloads to pontificate with your blocked-up-nose-voice about a really successful TV show. 16 hour days, eh? At least you're getting paid, and he's not scratching around on the floor like a grip or a spark or a coffee-getter, sheesh!

What did they expect, a couple of hours each day? Anybody who thinks filming a show such as that is easy, is a complete wanker no-brains.

It'd be retarded to end the show, and "on top"? Oh, by "on top" do you mean that god-awful episode about the ship heading for the sun? Sheesh!

Now, the recent double-episode set in 1913 - that was feckin' quality - mainly because it was a book originally, so it was written with care and time and effort and then later adapated by the same writer...not hashed out in a couple of months by someone who watches too many soap operas. :rolleyes:

Seriously, how could anyone think the script for that sun-crashing-into-whatever episode was good?! A cursory glance would show it's a load of bollocks and wouldn't work, geez!

They should adapt more Doc Who books, or perhaps they could go a bit old school and change the series format, like have 6 episodes in a run, but they all revolve around one main story, like back in the day (if I'm not mistaken), that would halve the episodes (plus one to boot), and it'd allow for (hopefully) better writing as you could adapt some more books, or write a full story that is completely fleshed out rather than just hashed together.

There's plenty of life left in the new version, they just need to set their sights straight again - heck, I'd tell them how to do it if they'd have me! (shame about the whole career ladder thing...anyway...) Jack it in after 4 series? Feckin' LOSERS. :rolleyes:

_liam_
04-Jun-2007, 06:15 PM
i still dont buy it.
too much money in merchandise and all that. plus the show is a huge maker in dvd sales

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2007, 10:16 PM
I know! That's one of the main reasons why I'd have thought it'd go on for a good long while yet - the MONEY. It'll be RAKING it in hand over fist, it's why anything gets to stay on the air, like Top Gear, that show coins it in and is very popular, just like Dr Who (although completely different shows, doi)...

Perhaps it's Senoir McNasal-Talk and his cohorts blowing smoke up the Beeb's ass to get more money out of their deals by putting that suggestion out? :rockbrow:

Danny
04-Jun-2007, 11:28 PM
^what liam said you would be what the people in blaxploitation movies call "a fool" for getting rid of something thats had a bigger marketing campaign than any british show in the last 10 years.

and year rant on man!, that sun episde was bollox.:dead:

capncnut
05-Jun-2007, 04:13 AM
that sun episde was bollox.:dead:
Other than being a total Alien rip off, I thought 42 was okay actually. I have to admit though, I'm getting a little bit fed up with all this outer space demonic possession malarkey.

i still dont buy it.
The Sun made it up? Surely not. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
05-Jun-2007, 10:40 AM
The Sun should just be all Page 3, that's all it's worth.

And aye, "42" still sucks, it was a walking burlap sack of crap 'n' cliches.

_liam_
05-Jun-2007, 12:30 PM
42 was alright ish, but too derivative. an empty child style masked person hunts people down and kills them/makes them like him. he even has a single catchphrase he repeats again and again. the sweaty, "alien"style setting and production design was just "the satan pit" again.

also i felt the real time aspect wasnt nearly pronounced enough. i wouldnt even have guessed unless i'd been told.

not toooo bad though, i thought it was marginally better than the dalek two parter.

Danny
05-Jun-2007, 01:04 PM
i actually liked the darlek 2 parter, nice to see em as regular bad guys again and not just a cheap way to end the season on a big fight.

MinionZombie
05-Jun-2007, 05:44 PM
My main problem, aside from the plagiaristic style, with 42 was the dialogue...it was absolutely pitiful, so you're about to crash into the sun, but you've got plenty of time to be a whiny, insolent little prick when you're sent to get tools, or you've got plenty of time to have a heart-to-heart (like in the 2nd episode of that 1930's 'New Yoik' - the first part was good, but the second pissed me off, especially when you've got 10 minutes to compare plans and solve the problem, but you've got plenty of time to ask that moll type if she's gonna pork porky when they're done! :rolleyes:)

Also - the whole 'martha wants to chow down on time lord wang' angle is retarded.

And 42 could have been in real time, but it wasn't, which was a let down...especially when one thing that would have taken several more minutes seems to take about 3, and then something that would have been about 3 minutes, takes around 8, wtf is that about?!

Put some fahkin' effort in, you Doctor Who writers! :eek:

Now - the 1913 double episode (adapted from the original book) - that was quality stuff, really well written, nicely acted - especially by Tennant who clearly relishes getting to play someone totally different (which he does brilliantly, really tugs at the old heart strings)...