PDA

View Full Version : "Serenity" best scifi film ever?

Neil
02-Apr-2007, 11:14 AM
Oh come on now!

Yes, it was good, but Star Wars, Aliens, Matrix are all clearly better scifi films?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm

axlish
02-Apr-2007, 12:00 PM
I can think of several black and white films that are so much better than Serenity. People must have very short memories.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Apr-2007, 12:45 PM
Serenity is good, but the best? What are they smoking over there in the land of tea and crumpets? and is it possible to have a few thousand grams sent over to my house?

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 01:01 PM
Serenity better than Star Wars? Get knotted! And what was 2001 doing all the way at the bottom of the list, whoever compiled that needs some serious schooling. The Matrix? :annoyed:

Eyebiter
02-Apr-2007, 01:17 PM
Serenity was a gift to the hardcore "Brown Coats" community. Having seen the film before watching all the Firefly episodes on DVD, think it's one of those movies that requires watching the television series to appreciate. It's a fairly entertaining movie on it's own, but legendary like Star Wars? I don't think so.

Neil
02-Apr-2007, 01:22 PM
Serenity better than Star Wars? Get knotted! And what was 2001 doing all the way at the bottom of the list, whoever compiled that needs some serious schooling. The Matrix? :annoyed:

I'd put "The Matrix" high up the list... Was a good concept with great use of visual effects... I'd put it above "Serenity"...

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 01:51 PM
I slept through the first one and turned the second one off 20 minutes into it. Saying that I like 2001 and a lot people view it in a similar way.

EvilNed
02-Apr-2007, 06:33 PM
Serenity was a gift to the hardcore "Brown Coats" community. Having seen the film before watching all the Firefly episodes on DVD, think it's one of those movies that requires watching the television series to appreciate. It's a fairly entertaining movie on it's own, but legendary like Star Wars? I don't think so.

Brown coats? Fascists? Huh?

Anyway, any list that doesn't have Starship Troopers on it can suck my balls.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Apr-2007, 08:19 PM
Brown coats? Fascists? Huh?

Anyway, any list that doesn't have Starship Troopers on it can suck my balls.

Well if Starship Troopers has to be on the list I have two other sci-fi gems that need to be added.

RoboCop
Chasing Amy :D (any Lesbian who would fall for Ben Affleck and go hetro in a flash has to be a part of some elaborate sci-fi writing. (gotta love K. Smith's ense of humor)

coma
02-Apr-2007, 08:56 PM
Soylent Green
Invasion of the body Snatchers (50s)
forbidden planet
Terrminator
Matrix
Silent Running
Thats just right off the top of my head.
Total Vote fixing:(

I ****ing love Starship Troopers too. I dont know about it being the best, but I like it more than most

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 11:18 PM
I loved the first Cube. And Existenz, oh yes, that film kicks mighty bollock. :cool:

Terran
03-Apr-2007, 12:15 AM
both Existenz....and Primer are far better Sci Fi movies than Serenity....

Also Children of Men is better than Serenity....but I dont know if that fit into the time frame when that list was created.....

That top ten list is complete crap....

No Robo Cop?....no Gattaca?.....no Primer....no eXistenz......that list sucks....

coma
03-Apr-2007, 12:17 AM
[quote=Terran;78379

No Robo Cop?....no Gattaca?.....no Primer....no eXistenz......that list sucks....[/quote]
Existez and Gattaca wre both great but I really loved Gattaca.
Ueah
That list sucks.

capncnut
03-Apr-2007, 01:00 AM
both Existenz....and Primer are far better Sci Fi movies than Serenity...

Also Children of Men is better than Serenity... but I dont know if that fit into the time frame when that list was created...
Totally agree. Primer is awesome though, pure headf**k material. :cool:

Terran
03-Apr-2007, 01:33 AM
Primer is awesome though, pure headf**k material. :cool:

Well the permutations are endless.....

coma
03-Apr-2007, 02:00 AM
Totally agree. Primer is awesome though, pure headf**k material. :cool:
Never heard of Primer, but I am def gonna check for it now:)
I saw Children of Men recently and I thought it was great.
also just saw The UK Day OF the Triffids. That was really excellent.

zombie04
03-Apr-2007, 02:11 AM
Robocop, Terminator 1 & 2, Blade Runner, Star Wars, Starship Troopers, and many many others are better than Serenity. While I liked Serenity, I'd easily watch all the ones I listed before it.

Danny
03-Apr-2007, 04:13 AM
Serenity is good, but the best? What are they smoking over there in the land of tea and crumpets? and is it possible to have a few thousand grams sent over to my house?

dude, what do you think the tea's made of?, booooooong:cool: .

anway, serenity was a good finale to firefly but hell no i can name at least 50 films from like 1930 to 2000 that were way better than serenity., hell alien, the thing, star wars (eps 4 thru 6;) ), back to the future to name but a few.

capncnut
03-Apr-2007, 10:48 AM
I suppose I could add both versions of Solaris to the list as well.

Neil
03-Apr-2007, 01:29 PM
More on it here - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rant-Give-It-Up-Browncoats-4828.html

coma
03-Apr-2007, 05:23 PM
I suppose I could add both versions of Solaris to the list as well.
I wanted to add that too, but I couldnt remember the name. I like the Russian (?) version better

capncnut
04-Apr-2007, 12:23 AM
Me too. :cool:

fartpants
14-Apr-2007, 02:57 PM
any one of the 6 star wars films would piss on Serenity any day of the week:moon:

coma
14-Apr-2007, 05:17 PM
any one of the 6 star wars films would piss on Serenity any day of the week:moon:
Not the Phantom menace. It smells like the dump my late doberman took on the floor after stealing a pound of raw bacon:D

capncnut
15-Apr-2007, 12:29 AM
Attack Of The Clones ain't that much better either. I guess that makes it 4 now. :D

coma
15-Apr-2007, 01:25 AM
Attack Of The Clones ain't that much better either. I guess that makes it 4 now. :D
The new Trilogy is a bad as the old ones are good. I categorize the new trilogy as a "massive, frustrating, boring and ultra cheesy disappointment"

capncnut
15-Apr-2007, 03:25 PM
I gotta admit that I loved the darkness that came with Revenge Of The Sith - it almost felt like Irwin Kirshner was directing again. If Lucas handed the reins over to other directors like he did with the original trilogy then we might have been looking at 3 different movies as opposed to a mediocre 6 hour story done by the same guy.

Neil
15-Apr-2007, 05:08 PM
I gotta admit that I loved the darkness that came with Revenge Of The Sith - it almost felt like Irwin Kirshner was directing again. If Lucas handed the reins over to other directors like he did with the original trilogy then we might have been looking at 3 different movies as opposed to a mediocre 6 hour story done by the same guy.

Yep - He shouldn't have directed, and someone should have helped him with those scripts!!

The final one was the best, but was still very average at best (IMHO) :rolleyes:

capncnut
15-Apr-2007, 05:16 PM
Yep - He shouldn't have directed, and someone should have helped him with those scripts!!!
Yes it is baffling why he would go down such a long winded and political route for the 'other' 3. Took all the enjoyment out of it in my opinion. What I loved about the original trilogy was that they were simple and enjoyable space yarns. None of this long winded rubbish about trade routes. :bored:

I wonder how many young children really got the plot to Phantom Menace?

coma
15-Apr-2007, 08:40 PM
I wonder how many young children really got the plot to Phantom Menace?
I barely understood it. All the Bull**** politics was hard to follow

I have to admit, I watched about 20 munites of Sith and it annoyed the crap out of me.
I guess Kirshner did Empire? Thats the best one by a mile, and thats saying alot.

Geophyrd
16-Apr-2007, 02:04 PM
I mean, who said Serenity was the best SciFi film ever?

Not to put too fine a line on it, it was terrific. Better than any of the last three (wierdly which are also the first three) of the Star Wars movies (Serenity was everything that was missing in all three movies), it was a great capstone to the ill treated and excellent tv series.

As to its being the best...does it have to be best or is merely really really good enough for you?

capncnut
16-Apr-2007, 03:06 PM
Empire is by far the best of the Star wars movies. Folks had to wait 2 hours for a decent battle in A New Hope. Happens in the first 20 minutes of Empire. :cool:

bassman
16-Apr-2007, 04:18 PM
Empire is by far the best of the Star wars movies. Folks had to wait 2 hours for a decent battle in A New Hope. Happens in the first 20 minutes of Empire. :cool:

True, but I find "Empire" to be the best because it's more character driven. And how could you not like the ending?

To Quote Dante Hicks:
"Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.

:p

Danny
16-Apr-2007, 04:24 PM
empire is totally the best star wars film.

fartpants
16-Apr-2007, 05:00 PM
my 6year old loves the new trilogy, so maybe we are to old to enjoy it:rockbrow:

coma
16-Apr-2007, 06:56 PM
my 6year old loves the new trilogy, so maybe we are to old to enjoy it:rockbrow:
I liked a lot of pure junk as a little kid, so maybe he';s too young to know it sucks:p. Did he see the originals first?

Danny
16-Apr-2007, 08:06 PM
the only film i liked as much then as i do now are jurassic park adn transformers the movie.

but they were just bitchin' anyway.:D

capncnut
17-Apr-2007, 07:59 PM
Hellz yeah Optimus Rhyme! I picked up Transformers: The Movie in Woolworth's the other week for... wait for it... £1.99! :eek:

It's only the barebones Prism dvd release but damn that's the best 2 quid I spent in a long time. Must watch it soon, haven't seen that flick for time.

Danny
18-Apr-2007, 11:33 AM
lol, 99p from music zone byatch!

and on the transformers from i spent a good 15 mins writing on the digi-board thingymabob a very detailed picutre of optimus prime playing guitar hero 2 with a top hat and dreadlocks doing the metal hand yelling "METAL!"

*wipes tear from eye*, damn the prof.s face was funny when he came in.:lol: