PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead reference in Night of the Comet

axlish
02-Apr-2007, 01:27 PM
Ok, so I reluctantly picked up the DVD (a little pissed because it is bare bones, not even a trailer, luckily my Walmart finally got it in for 9.44 in stead of the ghastly 13.99 that Best Buy is charging) and I noticed a Dawn reference that I had never noticed before.

When the main female lead enters the projection booth at the theatre to talk to her boyfriend, if you listen to the music coming from the film, it is the music to the trucks scene in Dawn, where Peter is yelling "Get its head up!". It is the exact music with women's screams and other dialogue plugged in over the Dawn dialogue, to avoid getting sued I suppose.

capncnut
02-Apr-2007, 01:30 PM
Now that, I didn't know.

Philly_SWAT
02-Apr-2007, 06:24 PM
Ok, so I reluctantly picked up the DVD (a little pissed because it is bare bones, not even a trailer, luckily my Walmart finally got it in for 9.44 in stead of the ghastly 13.99 that Best Buy is charging) and I noticed a Dawn reference that I had never noticed before.

When the main female lead enters the projection booth at the theatre to talk to her boyfriend, if you listen to the music coming from the film, it is the music to the trucks scene in Dawn, where Peter is yelling "Get its head up!". It is the exact music with women's screams and other dialogue plugged in over the Dawn dialogue, to avoid getting sued I suppose.
I didnt notice that either! I just saw the movie the other day, on HBO (or Showtime, one of those) for the first time. I didnt think it was too bad. Dont you think more than likely they used the actual DeWolfe cue, rather than a clip from Dawn? Either way, if its the same music, it must be a Dawn reference.

axlish
02-Apr-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that it was just the film audio playing, with women's screams played over the dialogue. I bet at first it was the Dawn audio, but they added in the screams later on to avoid a potential lawsuit. Tracking down the DeWolfe cue would have been a little more difficult. I'm thinking they just used the audio without paying for it.

MikePizzoff
02-Apr-2007, 09:53 PM
Awesome. Nice find. Yet another reason for me to dust off my VHS copy sometime soon.

glsjaw
08-Apr-2007, 02:51 PM
good call, i have saw that movie dozens of times and never picked up on it.

fartpants
13-Apr-2007, 06:29 PM
night of the comet was one of my fave 80's horror flicks (alongside Demons)

capncnut
13-Apr-2007, 09:22 PM
Demons is a masterpiece. :cool:

fartpants
14-Apr-2007, 03:09 PM
Demons was the only film that actually gave me nightmares:evil: :evil:

capncnut
14-Apr-2007, 04:23 PM
Funnily enough, the only two films that truly s**t me up in my whole life was The Evil Dead and Demons. Try and tell that to the kids nowdays, they'll laugh in your face. Okay, they look a bit silly now but you had to be there at the time of release to truly understand how scary they were. TED and Demons were unbelieveably gory for the era and both movies had maniacal possessed humans that seem to take sadistic pleasure in tearing the victims to shreds. That was pretty damn scary to me as an early teen. :eek::confused:

The one scene in Demons that got me was when the girl was running from that demonic black chick and hid in a dark room, looking through the crack in the door. The demon stops, turns and seemingly looks right at the girl, eyes glowing, before ignoring the door and running off. Man, sounds crap but that was so intense for me at the time.

Not only that but the soundtrack to Demons f**king ROCKS! :evil:

fartpants
17-Apr-2007, 04:39 PM
Lamberto Bava is a genius...