PDA

View Full Version : Guys I need help; is my 360 busted?

MikePizzoff
04-Apr-2007, 12:12 PM
I posted this over on the official XBOX forums but of course nobody is really any help over there. I was hoping maybe one of you guys could help me out...

I've had my 360 for 3 months now. I play it, at most, about 12-15 hours a week. Today I played Guitar Hero II for about 5 hours then shut off my XBOX for about 4 hours.

Well I just turned on my 360 and it made the loudest, most horrifying noise I've ever heard any peice of electronics ever make. It sounded like the disc drive was just completely destroying the disc. Before I pushed the eject button the drive a screen popped up that said "This type of disc can not be played on XBOX 360" in about 20 different languages. I immediatly pushed eject and the tray ejected way faster than it ever has and the disc was still spinning at full speed when it came out.

I shut down the console, hoping it was a one time thing. Started it back up 15 minutes later and tried a different game. It started up fine, so I figured it was a fluke. I put Guitar Hero II back in and it made the same horrifying noise again!

Has this happened to anyone else? I assume this means my 360 is just about dead (thanks to a game I've been dreaming about for months).

And before anyone asks, YES, I keep my 360 well ventelated and frequently check it to make sure it's not getting too hot.

Bongholio
04-Apr-2007, 12:35 PM
don't put that disc back in
full speed ejection might have cause data error now to it
on top of other "one disc so far bug"
good luck
I had some 8 legged freaks weird shaped demo disc from a con like a minidisc size in a weird shape almost tore my drive up too from the imbalance
(some sensitive drives dont even tolerate labels on them)
maybe its incorrectly applied?

MikePizzoff
04-Apr-2007, 12:41 PM
UPDATE:

I just put this game in again. It made the very loud noise for about 5 seconds but then transitioned over into the regular disc drive noise and the game played perfectly. But when I pressed the eject button the drive made the horrid noise and shot the disc out still spinning fast as hell, again.

I really hope it's not the game because I got it from GameStop and it was the last copy they had (probably won't be getting more for quite some time).

Bongholio
04-Apr-2007, 12:58 PM
try and get support from who made the game
tell them you fear permanent damage from another try
of their game and would like the thing looked at
rma to a service drop or a refund lol
every rotation of that disc while the door is opening (not full stop)
is potential for damage to disc and drive itself

capncnut
04-Apr-2007, 01:02 PM
I really hope it's not the game because I got it from GameStop and it was the last copy they had (probably won't be getting more for quite some time).
So you would rather the problem be the system itself? :confused:

To be honest Mike, it does sound like a problem with the game. Same thing happened to my friend on the original Xbox when he got Fable. It screeched and came up with a similar error message. When he replaced the game, the problems ceased.

Danny
04-Apr-2007, 01:13 PM
does your disk have a mild ring shaped sratch around thehalfway preimeter on the disks underside?, if so its an imbalance if not its a faulty game, it happens i had a faulty kameo disk on launch that stopped being read after 4 hours.

MikePizzoff
04-Apr-2007, 01:15 PM
So you would rather the problem be the system itself? :confused:

To be honest Mike, it does sound like a problem with the game. Same thing happened to my friend on the original Xbox when he got Fable. It screeched and came up with a similar error message. When he replaced the game, the problems ceased.

It's deffinitely the disc drive. I just tried Tony Hawks Project 8 and the same thing happened. No more gaming until I get up to EB Games. [sigh] Why does stuff like this always happen to me?

does your disk have a mild ring shaped sratch around thehalfway preimeter on the disks underside?, if so its an imbalance if not its a faulty game, it happens i had a faulty kameo disk on launch that stopped being read after 4 hours.

No. That was the very first thing I checked was the bottom of the disc.

Danny
04-Apr-2007, 01:16 PM
actually my disk drives been making a very subtle screech as it is closed now and again but i think that may be cus i havent actually played it in a while.

capncnut
04-Apr-2007, 01:28 PM
[sigh] Why does stuff like this always happen to me?
It doesn't, my original Xbox had to be replaced 5 times in 3 years.

MikePizzoff
04-Apr-2007, 01:40 PM
It doesn't, my original Xbox had to be replaced 5 times in 3 years.

I'm not saying it ONLY happens to me... it just ALWAYS does. :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad I got the warranty with my 360 when I bought it (almost didn't) so I'll be taking it back to EB Games hopefully tonight. Does anybody know how they work their warranties? Will they just give me a new system right there on the spot? If so, will they allow me to swap out my hard drive?

I hope so because I don't feel like waiting for them to send it all the way to Microsoft and then have it come back to find out MS didn't even do anything to it (I've heard many horror stories).

capncnut
04-Apr-2007, 01:50 PM
Anyway, I'm glad I got the warranty with my 360 when I bought it (almost didn't) so I'll be taking it back to EB Games hopefully tonight. Does anybody know how they work their warranties? Will they just give me a new system right there on the spot? If so, will they allow me to swap out my hard drive?
They will give you a brand new console, end of story. They might let you replace the hard drive if you beg. I'd just call Microsoft and have them deal with it. You did register it with them didn't you?

slickwilly13
04-Apr-2007, 05:05 PM
If so, will they allow me to swap out my hard drive?

Yes, they will. When I bought my 360 I asked that same question. The manager at the Gamestop in my area said they would let me keep my old harddrive. All you have to do is keep your old harddrive at your house then when you trade the old system off. Have them take the harddrive of the newer system out of the box and give it to them, so they can pack it in the older system box. Also, call them today and ask. They should let you do this anyways with no problems.

Btw, I noticed that you kept loggin on and off late last night when I was playing Fight Night. Was that the reason?

MikePizzoff
04-Apr-2007, 05:11 PM
I'd just call Microsoft and have them deal with it. You did register it with them didn't you?

:confused: ... I don't remember.

Btw, I noticed that you kept loggin on and off late last night when I was playing Fight Night. Was that the reason?

Yeah, sorry about that.

slickwilly13
04-Apr-2007, 05:24 PM
:confused: ... I don't remember.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Don't worry about it. I just noticed that you kept logging on and off.

Tricky
04-Apr-2007, 05:46 PM
http://ps3media.gamespy.com/ps3/image/article/730/730836/sony-announces-ps3-setbacks-20060906111737962.jpg

Give in to its dark charms,it may look like a certain grill endorsed by a former boxer,but it wont make nasty noises :p

MikePizzoff
04-Apr-2007, 05:55 PM
Tricky, you bastard!!!

Tricky
04-Apr-2007, 06:12 PM
:lol: im just kidding dude :p

But when i get my PS3,it will need "mean lean fat reducing grilling machine" stickers on it..

slickwilly13
04-Apr-2007, 06:14 PM
One thing I like about the PS3 it runs quieter than the 360.

Danny
04-Apr-2007, 09:15 PM
yeah, i kinda tend to look more in what games are available when im choosing which consoel to buy myself:p

capncnut
05-Apr-2007, 12:50 AM
http://ps3media.gamespy.com/ps3/image/article/730/730836/sony-announces-ps3-setbacks-20060906111737962.jpg

Give in to its dark charms,it may look like a certain grill endorsed by a former boxer,but it wont make nasty noises :p
I'd rather suck a tramps cock! :barf:

MikePizzoff
05-Apr-2007, 05:15 AM
Took it back to EB Games. All went well. Kept my hard drive. Just gotta pay another $50 to renew my warranty. :mad: