PDA

View Full Version : KING KONG on DVD

DjfunkmasterG
28-Mar-2006, 11:56 AM
KING KONG is on DVD today. So get out there and spend your $30.00 for the special collector's edition. :D

bassman
28-Mar-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey DJ....let me ask, for having never seen the film, is it worth a purchase?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up anyway, I just figured alittle confirmation wouldn't hurt.:)

DjfunkmasterG
28-Mar-2006, 12:47 PM
A lot of people feel it could use some editing to cut down running time, however, I think the 3 hour running time was perfect because you are able to be absorbed by all the characters and the story. I also think this King Kong ranks above the remake from the 1970's and is about on par with the original.

Now if you don't hold the original in high regard you won't like this version, but if you love the original you will love this remake. I would give it a 8.5 out of 10.

Pick it up dude, you won't be disappointed.

Adrenochrome
28-Mar-2006, 01:29 PM
oh cool, I need some new coasters to set my glasses and cups on; my collection of Lord of The Rings coasters are a bit worn and chipped now.:D

axlish
28-Mar-2006, 01:52 PM
I thought it was a beautiful film but I have only seen it once. I don't know how it will hold up after repeated viewings.

MinionZombie
28-Mar-2006, 02:15 PM
I was a bit sceptical, I wasn't in any rush to see it in cinemas ... however saw it about a week ago and it was really very good. Quite touching and moving and although a tad too long, it never really dragged - amazing for a 3 hour movie.

Hell there's some 75 minute movies that just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag...

I say give it a shot, if you were feeling the vibe of the Rings trilogy, although Kong has bugger all to do with elves and Mordors and suchlike, it really is worth seeing...

...and damn youze and that bloody dancing Farley gif! I have to scroll down to avoid being hypnotised by it...grrr!

Neil
28-Mar-2006, 04:35 PM
It'll be a renter for me I think... Looking forward to watching it again though :)

bassman
28-Mar-2006, 05:06 PM
This is going to be a stupid question considering how DVDs are released these days but, does anyone know if the Special Edition that's available today is actually THE Special Edition?

I mean, Is there going to be another in three months with more features or does this one pretty much cover that?

MinionZombie
28-Mar-2006, 09:51 PM
If it's anything like the LOTR 4-discers...then yeh that's probably it. I think I remember seeing the specs earlier today - yes, that's right, my memory sucks ... big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Anyway, it looked like a good package - plus there is also that separate DVD, the King Kong production diaries or something, they came out a while ago - not sure if that's included on the KK DVD, or if it's kind of a "buy both ya bastards!" situation...

bassman
30-Mar-2006, 04:19 PM
I watched it last night and...DAMN. Awesome. I loved it.

Personally, the three hour length didn't bother me but I can see how it would for some people. And if they wanted to, they probaly could have cut back on some of the stuff that happens on "Skull Island".

Great flick, indeed. I think it's better than Jackson's "LOTR" trilogy(maybe you should give "Kong" a try, Adreno;) .

Im actually excited to see the film again. It did a good job of sticking with the original film's story as well.

I give it a 9 out of 10. Those were three entertainment-packed hours.:D

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 04:21 PM
king kong is a horrible film its like "look we can use c.g.i to wow you and....theres a bit of sotryline- but look jack blackoo hes funny".

though it is another remake so i wasnt exactly let down by it, adn i for one aint getting the Dvd.

bassman
30-Mar-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't think there were too many corners they could have cut with the CGI there, man. Big ape, New York in the 30's, etc...

I thought the CGI was pretty well done. There were only a few shots that were painfully obvious. The rest seemed to mix well.

While watching the film, I got the sense of adventure that's kind of like a mix between the "Indiana Jones" films, "Jurrasic Park", and "The Goonies"(strange comparison...I know). It was very entertaining to me....regardless of the CGI.

Danny
30-Mar-2006, 04:26 PM
why does everybody seem to know either the goonies or the breakfast club?,lol.

just one of lifes great mysterys.

"neh!"

bassman
30-Mar-2006, 04:35 PM
"Goonies never say die!"

Yeah, you're right. I think EVERYONE has seen the "Goonies" at least once.

Hey man, what is that kitchen in your footer picture? Is it the "Glutton" kitchen from "Seven"?

LouCipherr
30-Mar-2006, 05:42 PM
A lot of people feel it could use some editing to cut down running time, however, I think the 3 hour running time was perfect because you are able to be absorbed by all the characters and the story. I also think this King Kong ranks above the remake from the 1970's and is about on par with the original.

Dj, I'm gonna file this one under "you've been smoking too much pot"

Seriously, this movie could've been trimmed by at LEAST 2 hours and still been a coherent film. 3 hours+ was completely unnecessary.

An hour alone just on the boat on the way to the island?! Give to me a large break.

Sorry, in my book, this movie was only so-so. Like Adrenochrome said, it's at least good coaster material. :p

bassman
30-Mar-2006, 05:48 PM
Dj, I'm gonna file this one under "you've been smoking too much pot"

Seriously, this movie could've been trimmed by at LEAST 2 hours and still been a coherent film. 3 hours+ was completely unnecessary.

An hour alone just on the boat on the way to the island?! Give to me a large break.

Sorry, in my book, this movie was only so-so. Like Adrenochrome said, it's at least good coaster material. :p

I agree with what DJ said but I also see where you're coming from. Some of it could have been cut but the length was great for character development. And it is definitely better than the 70's remake. I thought it was great and about equal with the original.

And one thing to remember about Adrenochrome's comment.....I may be wrong, but I don't think he's even seen "King Kong". The statement he made was because he didn't like how Jackson handled "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

LouCipherr
30-Mar-2006, 06:56 PM
Maybe so, but I still don't think even 2 hours was necessary. There was a lot more fat to trim, that's for sure.

That being said, I should say that I think the CGI was incredible in this movie, but other than that, I'd rather go watch TDR again instead. :D

LC

DeadJonas190
31-Mar-2006, 05:21 AM
"Goonies never say die!"

Yeah, you're right. I think EVERYONE has seen the "Goonies" at least once.

Hey man, what is that kitchen in your footer picture? Is it the "Glutton" kitchen from "Seven"?

"Goonies never say die!" burst out of my mouth in the middle of the movie theater when I was watching Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers just as Sam finished his speach to Frodo at the end of the movie. I am not one to be a rude b*st*rd in movies, but that just came out. Quite a few people laughed, but I did get a couple of SHHHHH!!!!

As for King Kong, I liked it. In fact, it was one of the few remakes that I felt was actually quite good.