PDA

View Full Version : 6 Degrees of Separation from Babel

MissJacksonCA
08-Apr-2007, 04:21 AM
Lately i've noticed a trend in movies. The 6 degrees of separation theory. You saw it in Crash, Babel, Heights, 11:14... you see it everywhere. I realize in LA you're only about 3 people from anyone you wan't to know but does anyone here have an experience with this theory?

Whats funny is Labatt Blue beer makes fun of how in Canada there's so few people that everyone knows everyone and the commercial goes something like a Canadien guy in the States meets someone who's been to Canada and asks him if he knows so and so and he's like ohhh yeah I know that dude. But for real my experience in Canada is that everyone knows everyone from there and everyone in the States.

For instance... my mum was born and raised in Winnipeg... she knows the origional Kolchak the Night Stalker Gavin something or other... she knows Dennis Basso, Adrien Arpel, Laura Gellar,Hugh Hefner,the heir to the Walgreen fortne, Luciano Pavoratti, and she knows the man who wrote the mathematic textbooks for the entire country's school system, the heads of various companies. My father also born and raised in Winnipeg doesn't know the people my mother knew instead he knows Jack Nichlaus the golfer, Ted Turner, OJ Simpson (before he killed his wife), Billy Crystal, and former President Clinton. Personally I can't say I know a lot of people worth mentioning aside from an ex who was a race car driver from Europe that I cant imagine anyone knows...but I wonder when i'm my parents age who will I have known personally?

_liam_
08-Apr-2007, 01:36 PM
i think a lot of people believe that you can connect almost any 2 living people via 6 degrees of seperation.

i dunno about that though. how are any of us connected to a tribesman dude in the jungle somewhere?

MikePizzoff
08-Apr-2007, 04:08 PM
how are any of us connected to a tribesman dude in the jungle somewhere?

A member of a documentary crew that visited him is the 6th link. ;)