PDA

View Full Version : Well, how about an American version of Top Gear?

Cykotic
09-Apr-2007, 02:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6539111.stm

Danny
09-Apr-2007, 02:31 PM
that just seems wrong, but if they base it in like alabama or something i reckon it'll be damn funny as well.

Cykotic
09-Apr-2007, 02:31 PM
agreed!

capncnut
09-Apr-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh I'm totally up for this. The last few jaunts to America were absolutely top flight. As long as it doesn't affect the U.K. series then yeah, Top Gear U.S.A. will be much welcomed. Besides, we get a double dose of Top Gear and secondly it also clears up the subject of Clarkson leaving. Yeah BOYEEE! :cool:

bassman
09-Apr-2007, 03:01 PM
I've only seen clips of this show on the net.....but I just don't get what all the hoopla is about. There's already many shows like this in the states and from what i've seen, Top Gear doesn't seem to be very different.

capncnut
09-Apr-2007, 03:33 PM
Where's MZ when you need him?

Neil
11-Apr-2007, 08:46 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6539111.stm

But as a rule they hate american cars! So all they'll end up doing it slagging off most cars! :rolleyes:

As regards the program now... It's just too contrived and scripted for me... They try and portray it as 'real' and the moment you cotton onto the fact some things are not, then it spoils it for me...

Sort of like Clarkson's road kill scene... Found it by the road indeed! Some guy helped him get it onto his roof indeed! May 10 guys!

MinionZombie
11-Apr-2007, 09:30 AM
Here's MZ when you need him! :p

As long as it doesn't affect UK Top Gear, then fine.

And Bassman, trust me, Top Gear is nothing like your usual brand of car review show, mainly because it's just as much about doing crazy shiite, and the 3 presenters themselves as entertainers with a repertoire, as the cars in the show.

It's a lot of fun, but indeed, like Neil was saying, they pretty much hate American cars, because they never get the proper amount of power out of a MASSIVE engine (if a European tuned the engine you could basically always get double the power - trust), they always have all these warnings all over them, "live rear axles" are like running with your shoe laces tied up", everytime you do something a little bonger goes "bong!" and they, most of the time, couldn't navigate a corner to save their overly-huge hides.

I duno how they'd manage to do US Top Gear and UK Top Gear. How can you get two series of UKTG and probably one American "season" of TG done within the same year? Surely they'd be filming TG constantly?! Hmmm ... it must be doable, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Of course, whether it actually works or not I duno, the presenters are quite acerbic and sarcastic and there's often a dolloping of irony ... which, you have to admit, isn't an American strong point as a nation.

It could quite possibly not work over there and they just do one season, who knows ... but if they can't even show the UK episodes without slicing them up so much you can barely recognise them, how are they going to cope with Clarkson, Hammond and May?! :eek:

The American special (9x03) was great though, it was superb, a really good adventure, and Neil, the show's been 'scripted' for years. You can't just freeform, otherwise you won't fit into the hour long slot, and you'll quite possibly say something "too hot for TV" and you won't be focussed enough. It won't be learning lines, but having a sort-of-structure to follow and they riff from there. It's literally impossible to create such a show without a guiding 'script', a bullet-point running order if you will. It's certainly not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last ... just part and parcel of such a show.

*sigh*

All tuckered out now...:p

May 10th??? Is that when the summer special is on??? *looks around excitedly* IS IT IS IT IS IT IS IT IS IT?!?!?!?!?!! :eek::p

Danny
11-Apr-2007, 10:13 AM
actually screw an americna top gear, a southern hillbilly top gear would be awesome, the theme could be on a banjo that would hands down be the most entertaining show ever. "and so now what we do wit' dis ere su-bitch is fill it full of these ere ingerd-yunts ,leave it fer a month and come back to find a still fulla shine....unless them dern racoons come back again, theys got a taste fer the stuff".

theres a reality tv series for ya, like the osbournes but with "sons of the soil":D

capncnut
11-Apr-2007, 02:06 PM
It could quite possibly not work over there and they just do one season, who knows...
Didn't TG win a bunch of awards in America?

a southern hillbilly top gear would be awesome, the theme could be on a banjo that would hands down be the most entertaining show ever.
"Waylcome to Top Gaaar folks, grandpaw here <spits out chewy tobacco into a bucket - DING!> and today, we's gownna race oursaylves some tractors across ol' Sawyer's cornfield." :lol:

Neil
11-Apr-2007, 02:39 PM
The American special (9x03) was great though, it was superb, a really good adventure, and Neil, the show's been 'scripted' for years. You can't just freeform, otherwise you won't fit into the hour long slot, and you'll quite possibly say something "too hot for TV" and you won't be focussed enough. It won't be learning lines, but having a sort-of-structure to follow and they riff from there. It's literally impossible to create such a show without a guiding 'script', a bullet-point running order if you will. It's certainly not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last ... just part and parcel of such a show.

Yes, but when it gets so blatantly a lie, then it just leaves a bad taste... If so much of what they are doing or what is happening is clearly contrived and lies, then how can you laugh at these three chums (or do they actually hate each other) whenever anything goes wrong (or did they do that on purpose) or whenever anyone of the comes up with a quick jibe (or did someone else spend 5hrs writing it)...?

Sorry, but their antics are just too contrived for me now... The "road kill" one just tipified it! 'I found it by the road and some guy helped me on the car with it' - It's just an out and out lie... Why say it? Given that, was anything in the show real?

Didn't TG win a bunch of awards in America?Given how fake it's become... Quite possibly :)

capncnut
11-Apr-2007, 03:18 PM
LOL, I don't think Neil's budging on this one folks. :D

MinionZombie
11-Apr-2007, 07:46 PM
pfft, jog on Neil :p (yes, just been to see Hot Fuzz in the cinema, much better than a dodgy CAM! :lol:)

Anyway, all three genuinely do like and even love each other, it's blatantly obvious.

As for things seeming contrived, hmmm ... more like the producers are cashing in on the inherent characters of the three presenters to inspire something to take place by accident.

It's an entertainment show too after all, entertainment doesn't always mean factual. Neil, you're clearly too jaded for Top Gear. :rolleyes:

You do realise this is a show featuring a test driver called "The Stig" who doesn't sleep, doesn't speak, has no emotions and is treated like a Monolithic style entity. :lol:

TG won an Emmy for best unscripted show, and Clarky flat out said in jest (but meaning it) that he could go over and accept it because he was too busy writing the script for the next show - now I doubt that was technically the case, but it's easier and quicker to say that for the joke itself. What actually happens on the studio record days for TG is they all turn up in the morning, rehearse the show (you have to anyway, otherwise it wouldn't actually be made as it'd be physically impossible - trust) and then they record it in the late afternoon/early evening kinda time.

As for this bother about a cow - so, it's just a joke, as part of a show that is entertainment. It's entertainment mixed with facts.

But you cannot deny that they seriously were in massive trouble when it all went arse up in Alabama (yes they technically encouraged it, but they blatantly had no idea that those in Alabama don't understand irony, nor do they have a sense of humour, and they're intensely homophobic by the looks of things)...coming from dear old Blighty, it's unexpected to find that a charicature is actually realistic.

They have an idea of what they want to achieve, things have to be laid out for Health & Safety, and for simple logistics of filming, things need clearing, the director needs to plan what happens where and when, they need a schedule - this involves scripting and planning.

So they throw the odd pure-entertainment moment in, big whoop. A show of TG's scale has to be made the way it's made, and they put in a shedload of effort making it, they deserve their large paycheques as it is hard graft, it just doesn't involve going down a mine, but to anyone who might assume it's a piss easy job ... pfft. Nothing is piss easy...

*sigh* :sneaky: