View Full Version : Is Romero a racist?

Minerva_Zombi
13-Apr-2007, 03:49 AM
I know he's not but, I was thinking and Looking at the living dead movies its weird. I can see how someone could misinterpret them and make Romero out to be a racist.

Example 1 : (Night Of The Living Dead) - 1 black guy in a house full of white people. The black guy says one thing, the white guy says another. They decide to follow the black guy and everyone gets killed. But if everyone would have listened to Harry, they would have all survived.

Is that Romero's way of saying "If you choose to support the black people's opinion and take their side on things, you will be doomed? lol.

Example 2 : (Dawn Of The Dead) - Peter kills both Stephen and Roger and then runs away with the white woman.

Is Romero saying "Hey, try to buddy up with a black guy, they'll turn on you and take ur women." lol

Plus, Romero loves racial slurs. Nigger, Jungle Bunny, Spick, etc. lol

Example 3 : (Day of the Dead) - John portrays the stereotypical "lazy Nigger". He sits back and does nothing and lets all the white people do the work while he sits reading books about film negatives and ****.

Example 4 : (Land of the Dead) - The town of survivers is like 0 % black. But, Big Daddy is the only black guy in the movie. Big Daddy leads the zombies into the city and destroys everything.

Is this Romero's way of saying that Blacks and immigrants will invade our country and destroy our pure white country? lol.

This is silly and completely a joke but, it'll make good conversation to see what you guys think.

capncnut
13-Apr-2007, 03:57 PM
John portrays the stereotypical "lazy Nigger".
Shouldn't that be rephrased to stereotypical lazy African American? :rockbrow:

mista_mo
13-Apr-2007, 04:15 PM
being PC sucks rotten nutsacks capn..But I like this arguement, specially the one about big daddy...looks like mr.romero is a racist asshole, time to stick him..

Bongholio
13-Apr-2007, 04:16 PM
you don't look like "neighbors" yeh seff!
lay yer self low and become a "street brother"

coma
13-Apr-2007, 07:40 PM
I assiming thus is semi serious, so I will try to reply as such.

NOTLD was written for a white guy. A trucker. So maybe its blue collar vs Middle managenment. Cooper is a lot like ass hole assistant managers or foremen:)

Day had a lazy black guy AND a drunk Irishman or Scot. I assume hes scottish, but am not sure. A wealth of stereotypes.:D Except they are both anti establishment , and other the only ones with useful skills. Though Torrez is a soldier and he is one of the only reasonable ones. So they aer not lazy, just doing their own thing,

Romero's CUBAN, btw. So I dont think he is against latins. He's from the Bronx so most likely he doesnt like Cops or the establishment, as is well illustrate in the movies. Hiow he he be against Immigrants when Cubans are considered an immigrant group?

In Dawn Peter is the only one with his sh*t together. Never loses his cool and is smarter than the rest. except when who has a moment of weakness and wants to smoke himself. Roger is smart but is weak mentally. Plus he has a vowel last name (DeMArco) so he is an ethnic White, which doenst count. Flyboy is an all American type and is also a dumbass who sticks his nose in stuff he has no competence in and ruins everything.

So, in summary, you are 100000 percent wrong/:D

Big Daddy sucks and I wish he didnt exist so he does not exist in this post:D

AcesandEights
13-Apr-2007, 10:18 PM
I hope you're not being serious, but in case you are, I will spell it out for you:

Race conscious does not equal rascist.

Romero has had extremely sympathetic messages about race and numerous alternate takes on your examples come to mind...

Example 1 : (Night Of The Living Dead) - 1 black guy in a house full of white people. The black guy says one thing, the white guy says another. They decide to follow the black guy and everyone gets killed. But if everyone would have listened to Harry, they would have all survived.

Is that Romero's way of saying "If you choose to support the black people's opinion and take their side on things, you will be doomed? lol.

Romero is a film maker with whom the frailties of humanity often take center stage. Such human failings as class oppression and racism are just more examples of human devisiveness that drag us down and doom us to failure and death in his films. You have to remember that Romero is from a time when real race violence, victimization and confusion were errupting across the face of the US and Romero knows full well how people who let themselves succumb to the narcotic of hate speak and act. His characters--note: it's his characters who use this language--are illustrating fundamental human failures.

Example 2 : (Dawn Of The Dead) - Peter kills both Stephen and Roger and then runs away with the white woman.

Is Romero saying "Hey, try to buddy up with a black guy, they'll turn on you and take ur women." lol

You could just as easily say the white men sold out to commercialized culture and greed and died, while the commonly oppressed black man and oft overlooked woman survive, because all they have been wanting is to just get along and better their situation, not "have it all." I'm NOT saying that is the message of the film, but just pointing out that it is a viable, alternate take on the same events you mention.

Example 3 : (Day of the Dead) - John portrays the stereotypical "lazy Nigger". He sits back and does nothing and lets all the white people do the work while he sits reading books about film negatives and ****

Projecting much? :lol: You could just as easily say that John is espousing the collective ideals of many people who are not 'in power' in that they just want to be left alone, to be happy and live their lives without the interference of those in power putting them to labor for their warmongering schemes.

Meh. :rolleyes: It's all how one reads into it, but isn't Romero a bit of a hippy anyway? Not tie-dyed through and through, but more along the lines of sympathetic due to the ideas and current events of the era in which he was coming of age.

_liam_
14-Apr-2007, 12:45 AM
not racist.
major characters from all 3 of the original movies have been 3 different varieties of postive black dude, while a largely white controlled, patriarchal society crumbles all around.

white dudes responsible for everything falling apart in all three films

Bongholio
14-Apr-2007, 01:55 AM
you never know
the not exactly neighbors line could be str8 from the mans
heart like "pull it out of my a**"
or was that savini?
not many un-caucasians in non domestic roles in ft.meyers or on sanibel?

LoneCrusader
14-Apr-2007, 02:16 AM
Shouldn't that be rephrased to stereotypical lazy African American? :rockbrow:

No, and I'll tell you why... I've supported this thought and always will: African Americans are people who are BORN IN AFRICA AND MOVE TO AMERICA. AMERICA IS A CONTINENT. So will you have to say "Decendents of African beings of the United States of America"? No! The technical term is "negro", and I will always support that.

Good thread, by the way. You really did your research.. :lol: I will post more if I get more time, but I have to go now.

capncnut
14-Apr-2007, 03:37 AM
African Americans are people who are BORN IN AFRICA AND MOVE TO AMERICA.
Yes and if you remember John had a heavy African/Jamaican accent so it is pretty obvious that he wasn't offically from America to begin with. :confused:

The technical term is "negro", and I will always support that.
And it's been rarely used since the sixties for obvious reasons.

jim102016
14-Apr-2007, 04:15 AM
What about a Canadian nationalized citizen, born in Africa? Is he an "African-American" too? Or just a plain "Canadian-African"?

Canada is part of the North American continent after all, why do U.S. citizens think they have a monopoly on the term "American"?

For that matter, where's the country of Caucasia at? My relatives came from all over Europe more than a century ago, yet I don't say European-American. How fair is it to group all whites together?

See what politically correctness accomplishes? Nothing but f*cking confusion and division among a common people. Its the absolute worst thing that could have happened to race relations. Everyone thinks they're special and the common identity disappears. If you break it down, it's a black or white issue (no pun intended)....you're a citizen or you're not....your background is your own damned business.

TerryAlexanderF
14-Apr-2007, 05:49 AM
I know he's not but, I was thinking and Looking at the living dead movies its weird. I can see how someone could misinterpret them and make Romero out to be a racist.

Example 3 : (Day of the Dead) - John portrays the stereotypical "lazy Nigger". He sits back and does nothing and lets all the white people do the work while he sits reading books about film negatives and ****.

Example 4 : (Land of the Dead) - The town of survivers is like 0 % black. But, Big Daddy is the only black guy in the movie. Big Daddy leads the zombies into the city and destroys everything.

Is this Romero's way of saying that Blacks and immigrants will invade our country and destroy our pure white country? lol.

This is silly and completely a joke but, it'll make good conversation to see what you guys think.

With any understanding of the film, people should be able to tell that the director isn't racist, the thought shouldn't even be thought of. The only thing remotely related is that Romero is pro-black rights, and that's always something I valued about his work. And it's quite sad how you are arguing over a derogatory term and whether it's PC or not. It's not correct in ANY way, it should not come out of your mouth in any situation or circumstance, no matter the color of your skin. They are black, plain and simple. Some are white, some are black, some are hispanic, some are asian, there's no need to categorize deeper than that.

_liam_
14-Apr-2007, 12:48 PM
No, and I'll tell you why... I've supported this thought and always will: African Americans are people who are BORN IN AFRICA AND MOVE TO AMERICA. AMERICA IS A CONTINENT. So will you have to say "Decendents of African beings of the United States of America"? No! The technical term is "negro", and I will always support that.

lol racist?

just say black guy. negro has such strong connotations,youd have to be either ignorant or indifferent to not take that into account

Philly_SWAT
14-Apr-2007, 12:51 PM
It seems to me that it has been a LONG time since someone posted a theoretical post like this for people to comment on. I love these kinds of posts. On to the disection....

Is that Romero's way of saying "If you choose to support the black people's opinion and take their side on things, you will be doomed? lol.To the contrary, I think the reason everyone got killed was INCREDIBLY CRAPPY BARRICADING SKILLS!! The scene where Ben is saying how they pretty much got everything baricaded (or words to that effect) you can see a completely unprotected window right behind him! I have said before that going to the cellar should absolutely have only been as a last resort. Being in the house would be much preferable. They seemed to have plenty of nails, they should have been tearing down non-load bearing interior walls and using 2X4's and plywood from there to barricade. They should have brought the dressers from the bedrooms upstairs down and used them to put behind barricaded doors to re-inforce them. But as far as the cellar goes, you would have no idea how long you would have to be down there. Hours? Days? Weeks? There was no bathroom down there. Imagine a group of strangers having to crap in the corner in front of everyone else. Imagine the smell! Three adult women.. what if they started to menstrate? Being in the confined cellar would be a horendous situation for all. If they had spent less time arguing and more time baricading, they would have had a much better chance at survival. Ben's plan was not faulty, it was lack of co-operation to carry it out that was the problem. Of course, great baricading would have ruined the plot of the movie.....

Don't forget the ever popular CHOCOLATE MAN! But remember, Peter did not kill Stephen or Roger, he shot them after they had turned. Both were killed due to zombie bites, which occured due to their own stupidity. Roger was being amazingly careless (and was going a little nuts!) and Flyboy let his greed encourage him to commit a dangerous act that was unnecesary and fruitless. Peter stayed level headed and cool under pressure.

Given the situation, would you have done any different? He wasnt a scientist, any "help" he might try to offer would just slow the rest down. And besides, Logan was off his rocker, John Amplas was trying to feed them "beef treats", and we never actually see Sarah doing much of anything, so what were they actually accomplishing anyway? John wasnt a soldier either. I am sure they wouldnt want some civilian acting as though he was good enough to do their jobs with no training. Both times when Sarah was at the "zombie corral" bad things happened. The first time, Miguel dropped his stick, and the second time the strap broke. Maybe without her there, Steele wouldnt have been trying to impress her by ordering Miguel around, and would have realised he didnt want to risk his own life by having Miquel be the "zombie wrangler". John trying to get involved with this would have only mucked things up even worse. And besides, would you want the only guy who could fly endangering himself, thereby endangering your chances of air escape if needed?

Don't forget, Kaufman's butler dude was also black! Even in a post apocalypse world, the black man has to be a servant! Of course, it could be equally inferred that all the black people had survived, and were living in relative safety somewhere else, which is why none of them were at the Green. Remember your horror movie rules....black people tend to GET THE HELL OUT OF HARMS WAY, not say "gee wonder what that noise was? I better go outside and check it out. I am sure that mass murderer that the news said was IN MY FRICKIN NEIGHBORHOOD would not be outside right this second...."

coma
14-Apr-2007, 05:24 PM
What about a Canadian nationalized citizen, born in Africa? Is he an "African-American" too? Or just a plain "Canadian-African"?

Canada is part of the North American continent after all, why do U.S. citizens think they have a monopoly on the term "American"?

For that matter, where's the country of Caucasia at? My relatives came from all over Europe more than a century ago, yet I don't say European-American. How fair is it to group all whites together?

Caucasian comes from th Caucaus Mountains.
Our common Identity is American.

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2007, 06:31 PM
If folks can say "white guy", you can flat out say "black guy". :rolleyes: Nout racist about it..."negro" sounds daft...

As for is GAR a racist? Erm, simple answer - no. I think it's pretty clear. :cool:

jim102016
14-Apr-2007, 06:35 PM
Caucasian comes from th Caucaus Mountains.
Our common Identity is American.

You've solved the mystery of my family.....they came through Ellis Island (legally) all those years ago after coming down off the Caucaus Mountains, deciding to settle as white people in the northeastern U.S.

Now if we could just straighten everyone else out just as easily!

If folks can say "white guy", you can flat out say "black guy". :rolleyes: Nout racist about it..."negro" sounds daft...

As for is GAR a racist? Erm, simple answer - no. I think it's pretty clear. :cool:

Sounds easy enough, doesn't it? But, we've being going to such great lengths to kiss ass and not hurt anyone's feelings here in the U.S. that people get their asses hurt by anything they perceive as offensive. Glad to hear things still make sense accross the sea....because everyone is special here.

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2007, 10:04 PM
Well, I wouldn't say that, it's pretty damn retarded over here when it comes to political correctness, but perhaps it's a little bit less retarded here than it is in America? :confused::eek:

coma
15-Apr-2007, 04:25 AM
Well, I wouldn't say that, it's pretty damn retarded over here when it comes to political correctness, but perhaps it's a little bit less retarded here than it is in America? :confused::eek:
You have all that crazy Mus;im stuff. How soon we forget.

Calling Black people Negroes is ridiculous. Why not just use Colored like our friend here?
http://www.tvland.com/shows/aitf/images/shows/5.jpg

:lol:

because everyone is special here.
I'm special. My Mom tells me so, so I know it's true!:cool:

jim102016
15-Apr-2007, 05:07 AM
You have all that crazy Mus;im stuff. How soon we forget.

Calling Black people Negroes is ridiculous. Why not just use Colored like our friend here?
http://www.tvland.com/shows/aitf/images/shows/5.jpg

:lol:

I'm special. My Mom tells me so, so I know it's true!:cool:

Where's your picture of Louis Farrakhan?

Well, don't all New Yorkers think they're special in that little world they live in? :lol:

Just kidding, I spent my first 21 years keeping all the toll booths in business up there.

Bongholio
15-Apr-2007, 08:16 AM
You nappy headed ho's keep those rescue "situations" on the screen at all times!
Lucas back on this console!!!

coma
15-Apr-2007, 08:33 PM
Where's your picture of Louis Farrakhan?

Well, don't all New Yorkers think they're special in that little world they live in? :lol:

Just kidding, I spent my first 21 years keeping all the toll booths in business up there.
I dont think Farrakhan says negro either.:D
Besides, he's retired.:)

If your not over 60, like way over, you just sound goofy saying negro.
Black People get really pissed when people **** with them. Why? Becasue people DO always **** with them. It's not like they are imagining it. Just look at some of the posts on this board.

You kept all the toll booths in business? I'm supposed to thank you for that?!?!:moon:

You nappy headed ho's keep those rescue "situations" on the screen at all times!
Lucas back on this console!!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
You guys got any cigarettes?

Danny
15-Apr-2007, 08:53 PM
i have a statement that will bring an end to this!:eek:

...uh.., no ,hes not.:|

DeadJonas190
16-Apr-2007, 03:58 AM
No, he isn't racist. He has said many times he casts parts based upon who is the best actor for the part, not color not race not nationality.

So, by that single statement, your complete arguement is null and void :p

zombie_weasil
17-Apr-2007, 01:12 AM
I highly doubt Romero is racist considering he's half Cuban. Haha.

MissJacksonCA
17-Apr-2007, 04:31 AM
I can't say it was Bens fault for most everyone dying in the first film. His was an idea that made sense... fortify the house and dont lock yourself into a tiny hole with only one way out.

And Peter was the only sensible person in Dawn of the Dead. Roger just thought it was all some kind of game. And Michael and Gaylen (can't recall her name just now) were too scared to behave with discipline.

And in Day of the Dead I thought the black guy made quite a bit of sense even if he didn't act like everyone else. And his idea about finding an island to settle on instead of staying where they were was the only thing that saved them in the end. And he wasn't the only lazy person in that movie... the electrical guy was basically as indifferent as the black man about helping out.

But I see what you're saying ... I think black people in zombie movies was to better reflect the diversity of the country and they're some pretty good actors

DVW5150
17-Apr-2007, 02:35 PM
Forget it ... just a 'thrill thread' to get people riled ...:elol:

Mutineer
17-Apr-2007, 08:02 PM
This may be the strangest thread ever started here.

GAR a racist ?

Considering the brother is usually the protagonist in his films, I'd say hell no. Is the original Thread Starter a racist ?

Probably.

jim102016
17-Apr-2007, 09:13 PM
This may be the strangest thread ever started here.

GAR a racist ?

Considering the brother is usually the protagonist in his films, I'd say hell no. Is the original Thread Starter a racist ?

Probably.

Are you? There are no exact criteria for being a racist, despite the black and white tradition found throughout American history. Anyone can hold a prejudice.

How the hell can you assume the threat starter is a racist because he had questions? God forbid someone asks questions or goes against the grain, he's naturally assumed to be a racist.

Mutineer
17-Apr-2007, 09:32 PM
It was in tongue and cheek Jim; lighten up a little. :rolleyes:

jim102016
17-Apr-2007, 09:52 PM
It was in tongue and cheek Jim; lighten up a little. :rolleyes:

Sorry, going to get drunk right now.