PDA

View Full Version : The Gremlins Movies

_liam_
13-Apr-2007, 07:28 PM
recently bought these on DVD, i was addicted to them when i was about 5, still great movies, one thing though - am i the only one who prefers the second one?
the first is great, and has more of a classic, christmassy movie feel to it, but the second is just so...mad... the gremlins look far more convincing, and it's generally a pretty insane movie, one mad thing after another happens, with very little actual plot. love it.

also, the john wayne bit on the video edition (easter egg on the dvd) is way better than the cinematic version with hulk hogan...

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2007, 07:45 PM
Both movies are friggin' awesome, and the first film is indeed great (gotta love the theme tune too), but aye - I was thinking the same thing about the second film, it was just so much fun. I remember one day I was off ill from school and I watched it twice in a row because it was so fun and daft and such...and Mogwai's are really cute! I want one! GIZMO!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

capncnut
13-Apr-2007, 08:52 PM
First one had a better atmosphere.

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2007, 10:47 PM
The first did have more atmosphere, yes, it's also the more than likely the better movie, hehe, but I duno ... I just have fond memories of the sequel, it's just a hoot.

_liam_
14-Apr-2007, 12:47 AM
The first did have more atmosphere, yes, it's also the more than likely the better movie, hehe, but I duno ... I just have fond memories of the sequel, it's just a hoot.

agree with this 100%. in my heart i know the first one is the classier dame,but i watched the 2nd one so many times as a kid, every bit of it is drilled into my brain.

i can justify it by saying there are more gags, the prosthetics are better and christopher lee pwns, but meh, i just prefer it for no reason i guess...

anyone see the "critters" movies? used to love them too

Bongholio
14-Apr-2007, 01:48 AM
but the "gremlins" do one heck of a # on those recipients of their wrath
inside that building
in #2
+ it had that grandpa Al Lewis kinda tv host dude
ownage

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2007, 10:38 AM
Ah mate! I loved/love the Critters movies!!!

Critters was the second movie I ever dubbed from the video shop! :p

I've got 2 and 3 on video, 4 taped off TV as well. 1 was awesome, 2 was funky fresh, and 3 was a hoot (young Leonardo DiCaprio no less! :eek: Plus Critters eating beans and farting a lot - what's not to like?!). 4 was iffy, of course, but still enjoyed it.

Ah dude, those movies rocked cocks up and down the strip...

fartpants
14-Apr-2007, 02:14 PM
:lol: :p :lol: :p :lol: :p gremlins vs critters, now thats a film i'd like to see

capncnut
14-Apr-2007, 03:39 PM
:p gremlins vs critters, now thats a film i'd like to see
That would be awesome. :cool:

MissJacksonCA
18-Apr-2007, 12:23 AM
I felt like number 2 was better because it was consistently entertaining even if it wasn't scary... the downside was it was just tooooooo damn funny to be as good as the first one which is a total classic..

bassman
20-Apr-2007, 02:47 PM
How did I miss this poll?...

Anyway, I have to go with the first. As mentioned earlier, it had the atmosphere. The second one I enjoy for the camp factor. Nice levels of cheese that can entertain.

I mean....who doesn't like seeing a gremlin whore or a cultured gremlin singing "New York, New York"?:lol:

_liam_
20-Apr-2007, 09:59 PM
it's all about the count

"all theyd have to do is EAT three or four children and thered be the most appalling publicity"

MikePizzoff
20-Apr-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm with ya, Liam. I voted for The New Batch. Love that one. I remember seeing it in theatres when I was little and at the part in which the film "gets messed up" I truly swore I looked up into the projection booth and saw a gremlin up there laughing. I can still remember seeing it.... :confused:

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 11:43 PM
I was linked to this through the Gemlins 3 thread. Sorry for the necromancy.

Mike...I haven't seen the films in a while, but I believe that theater scene is in the first film....

AcesandEights
09-Sep-2010, 11:45 PM
How could 6 of you choose the 2nd film over the first?! Dear god and sweet baby Jesus, how?

Danny
10-Sep-2010, 02:05 AM
I was linked to this through the Gemlins 3 thread. Sorry for the necromancy.

Mike...I haven't seen the films in a while, but I believe that theater scene is in the first film....

second, the one with hulk hogan right?

ProfessorChaos
10-Sep-2010, 03:59 AM
i thought liam was back for a second, but this thread is apparently pretty old.

my thoughts: loved the first, own it on dvd and try to watch it sometime around christmas annually. been quite some time since i've seen the 2nd, but it was pretty wild....will have to put that on the "to watch" list.

slickwilly13
10-Sep-2010, 04:06 PM
I think he is refering to the last act in the 1st film. They burned down the theater with most inside minus Spike. The 2nd flim did have the Hulkster with a cameo in a theater.

Doc
10-Sep-2010, 08:22 PM
I mean....who doesn't like seeing a gremlin whore or a cultured gremlin singing "New York, New York"?:lol:

Don't forget Bat-Gremlin, The Phantom of the Opera Germlin, The Electrical Gremlin, The Spider Gremlin, The Vegetable Gremlin, and The Wicked Witch of the West Gremlin! :-D

MikePizzoff
10-Sep-2010, 10:22 PM

Negative, sir. I've recently viewed the second one and that's definitely what it was from. Plus, I was far too young to have viewed the first one in theaters. ALSO, the first is a bit more on the serious side and I don't think they would have gone for a gag like that.

Don't forget Bat-Gremlin, The Phantom of the Opera Germlin, The Electrical Gremlin, The Spider Gremlin, The Vegetable Gremlin, and The Wicked Witch of the West Gremlin! :-D

And Gizmo as Rambo!

bassman
10-Sep-2010, 10:24 PM
Negative, sir. I've recently viewed the second one and that's definitely what it was from. Plus, I was far too young to have viewed the first one in theaters. ALSO, the first is a bit more on the serious side and I don't think they would have gone for a gag like that.

Technically both have theater scenes. So we're both right. :p

MikePizzoff
10-Sep-2010, 10:38 PM
Technically both have theater scenes. So we're both right. :p

Why I oughtta!!!