PDA

View Full Version : Good news! Dr. Who Season 3 picked up in US by SciFi

Geophyrd
24-Apr-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I was getting nervous! I've been waiting (feels like forever) to see season 3. Now it looks like I'll get my chance! In July! If I had to guess, it will probably run with Eureka (which is an awesome show)

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=41233 (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=41233)

SCI FI Picks Up Who Year 3

SCI FI Channel announced that it will air the third season of BBC's Doctor Who, beginning in July. The new season will kick off with the Doctor Who Christmas special "The Runaway Bride," guest-starring award-winning British comedy actress Catherine Tate.

In season three, David Tennant returns as the time-traveling Doctor, joined by a new companion, Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman). The first episode of the season is called "Smith and Jones."

In the third season, which is already airing in the United Kingdom, the Doctor and Martha meet William Shakespeare, deal with bloodsucking alien Plasmavores, encounter the Judoon (a clan of galactic stormtroopers) and uncover a Dalek plot in 1930s New York.

The second season of the new Doctor Who earned impressive ratings during its airing on SCI FI, delivering an average of more than 1 million viewers each week.

Doctor Who is produced by Phil Collinson. Executive producers are Julie Gardner, the head of drama, BBC Wales, and Russell T. Davies, who is also lead writer.

capncnut
24-Apr-2007, 12:46 PM
Just you wait, Kylie Minogue makes a guest appearance in the Christmas 2007 special. :D

_liam_
24-Apr-2007, 03:11 PM
cool, just dont let the christmas special put you off the rest of the series :D

Danny
24-Apr-2007, 03:13 PM
^ aye, if most brits cant stand tate i doubt any americans will.

capncnut
25-Apr-2007, 03:28 PM
Man, I thought Catherine Tate was okay in that episode. It's all supposed to be tongue-in-cheek fun anyhoo.

Neil
28-Apr-2007, 06:31 PM
Just caught the last 15 mins of tonights episode (Evolution of the Daleks) and kinda glad I didn't bother watching the rest of it.

Tennant can't do serious/gritty like Eccleston could... And when ever I catch bits of the series the episodes just don't seem as strong as that first series...

Danny
28-Apr-2007, 06:36 PM
i liked tonights episode but the motorway one from two eps back has been the best of the series so far, the next ep looks like its directly taken from that film mimic, or whatever that one about a creature in a musuem is.

Neil
28-Apr-2007, 06:40 PM
i liked tonights episode but the motorway one from two eps back has been the best of the series so far, the next ep looks like its directly taken from that film mimic, or whatever that one about a creature in a musuem is.

In your opinion, does the best of this (& the last series) compare to the best of the first series?

_liam_
28-Apr-2007, 08:05 PM
i know you arent asking for my opinion, but i think only "the girl in the fireplace", "tooth & claw" & the cybermen 2 parter from series 2 compared to series one.

the girl in the fireplace was written by the same guy who wrote "the empty child" two parter from series one (the gas mask zombies), and it is similarly inventive sci fi. worth a you tubing.

out of the new ones, the best aspect is the darker tone of everything. most whovians hated it, but i really liked "the shakespeare code", "gridlock", and the first part of the dalek story that concluded this week was far superior to this weeks.

next week's looks great though, the monster looks hr giger meets john carpenter's the thing, and it has mark gatiss (league of gentlemen) as some weird scientist who manages to reverse aging.

Neil
28-Apr-2007, 08:10 PM
i know you arent asking for my opinion, but i think only "the girl in the fireplace", "tooth & claw" & the cybermen 2 parter from series 2 compared to series one.

the girl in the fireplace was written by the same guy who wrote "the empty child" two parter from series one (the gas mask zombies), and it is similarly inventive sci fi. worth a you tubing.

out of the new ones, the best aspect is the darker tone of everything. most whovians hated it, but i really liked "the shakespeare code", "gridlock", and the first part of the dalek story that concluded this week was far superior to this weeks.

next week's looks great though, the monster looks hr giger meets john carpenter's the thing, and it has mark gatiss (league of gentlemen) as some weird scientist who manages to reverse aging.

Actually you are right! The Girl In the Fireplace was an excellent episode!

_liam_
28-Apr-2007, 08:13 PM
cheers :cool: pretty horrific stuff when you think it's essentially a kiddies show. great stuff.

Danny
28-Apr-2007, 10:40 PM
season one was the best now i think abotu it, tennant makes a better doctor but yeah, the empty child was a crackin' episode, to bad the season finale was crap.

capncnut
29-Apr-2007, 01:36 AM
It's all good and that (slowly catching up) but I'm not enjoying this season as much as the last one.

Rottedfreak
29-Apr-2007, 06:45 AM
The film with the monster in the Museum was 'The Relic'.

One complaint I have with the new Who are the aliens
- The Judoon were Rhino heads slapped on body armor.
- The cat guy and human womans offspring were Kittens.
- The Pig men were pigs.

_liam_
29-Apr-2007, 12:46 PM
judoon = old series baddies the sontarans
http://homepages.bw.edu/~jcurtis/sontaran.jpg
it's shameless

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm still liking the new series, but for some reason last night's episode I just wasn't feeling the vibe ... not sure why, but one thing I find a turn off is Martha having to be all whiney about the Doc not seeing her and just seeing Rose, christ, she's just bloody met him, give him a bleedin' chance, and likewise she should have some self respect and not be gagging to suck the Time out of his mini-Lord for cripes sake!

Oh, and stopping to have a heart-to-heart with that blonde woman when they're supposed to be figuring out what's different in the plans! :rolleyes:

It's great stuff, but the writers need a slap from the common sense fish sometimes...:rolleyes:

_liam_
29-Apr-2007, 05:11 PM
believe me, DW fandom is largely displeased with the sentimental/soapy bits in the new ones.

a worrying thing is the executive producer seems to think everyone loves the soapy elements, and, in his words "about 200 people on online forums" dont like them.

hmm...dunno about that tbh

capncnut
29-Apr-2007, 05:34 PM
http://homepages.bw.edu/~jcurtis/sontaran.jpg
It's a turd in a spacesuit! :D

a worrying thing is the executive producer seems to think everyone loves the soapy elements, and, in his words "about 200 people on online forums" dont like them.
Well, it just goes to show that even the producers don't have their finger on the pulse. :confused:

MinionZombie
29-Apr-2007, 05:54 PM
They really need to be careful with the emotional elements, this is after all a show with robots and daleks and turds in spacesuits and a bloke with a fancy screwdriver and a box that's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside...not exactly an ideal match it is? :lol:

The worst thing producers can do is to assume things, at least the producers on Top Gear listen to the fans and actually visit fan forums and are, as a result, trying to put the next series a bit more back on the original track...methinks the Dr Who people could stand to do the same thing, it's not just a show for kids today, it's a show for people who were kids in times past...and surely those people will be in greater abundance than the new kids watching it now? :rockbrow:

Danny
29-Apr-2007, 06:09 PM
true, but this new who is aimed at the 8 to 12 demographic so its gonna be dumbed down.

capncnut
30-Apr-2007, 12:18 AM
Remarkable, considering a bulk of Doctor Who's fanbase is 35-55. :eek: