PDA

View Full Version : Style

childofgilead
26-Apr-2007, 09:40 AM
Dunno if anybody caught this, though I'd be surprised if deadheads didn't, but I bought Children of Men when it came out a while back and watched it...I can honestly say that I was really surprised how effective and egrossing it turned out being...

That said, not spoiling the movie for those who've not seen it, but I REALLY wish/hope that Romero takes a cue from this...hell, not just him, but more directors...there are three scenes done in one take, and honestly, this makes them that much more intense...I know anybody who's watched Document of the Dead can testify, the female narrator talks about how many cuts Romero has in his movies, but NOT cutting seems to be (at least in this case, as there haven't been too many other movies to go this route) much more engrossing, making you feel as if you're there...

Why?

Well, last time I checked, my life doesn't have cut and pans in it.

James
26-Apr-2007, 03:00 PM
Children Of Men was one of my favourite films of last year. I loved the bleak, slightly surreal dreamlike atmosphere that washed over the film. I wanted Land to be like this. Low-budget and strange with not too many characters. Hopefully Diary will much more in this vein.

bassman
26-Apr-2007, 03:48 PM
I loved "Children of Men", but that's just not Romero's style. It would be cool to see Alfonso Cueron(director of "Children of Men") make a zed flick, though.:D

capncnut
26-Apr-2007, 10:47 PM
It would be cool to see Alfonso Cueron make a zed flick, though. :D
Jeez Bass, I nearly got hard there for a second. :D

Shemp
27-Apr-2007, 02:56 AM
While I haven't yet seen CHILDREN OF MEN, I can think of one noteworthy example where scenes with LOTS of edits are incredibly intense: Sam Peckinpah's THE WILD BUNCH. Not sure if you are referring to action scenes in CHILDREN, but the opening and closing action set-pieces in BUNCH are very edit-intensive and both are intensely white-knuckle. Incidentally, if you listen to Romero's commentary on THE CRAZIES, the subject of similarities to Peckinpah's style of editing is discussed. In the hands of a talented director, either style can be used to great effect.