PDA

View Full Version : Which Is more scary

Dommm
30-Apr-2007, 02:14 PM
Imagine a world in which Zombies are real which would you find more scary Dawn (2004) Dawn (Romero) or the infected (28 Days)

Cody
30-Apr-2007, 02:51 PM
dawn 04 because they can run. romeros zombies are just creepy because they walk slow. infected are still alive so a head shot is not required to kill them

Dommm
30-Apr-2007, 02:55 PM
Never thought of it that way, have to say though the 28 days infected scare me more, its like they have some comprehension of what they are doing but the thought process is not there.

Danny
30-Apr-2007, 03:03 PM
dawn 04 easy, there like ragers but allready dead so there harder to kill.:eek:

Cody
30-Apr-2007, 03:08 PM
now with rotld your f*****

Philly_SWAT
30-Apr-2007, 03:33 PM
I voted for Romero zombies as more scary. I suppose that is any of the three actually happened, it would be scary for sure. However, the Dawn04 zombies moving so fast... I think your mind would be too focused to be scared at the time. For example.... what is scarier is a horror movie... seeing Jason whack a guys head with a machette, or seeing the girl alone in the woods, worried about Jason? The suspense makes the latter more scary, in my opinion. With Dawn04 zombies, with their high rate of speed, they would never "sneak up on you", you would know for sure they were coming, and be as prepared as you could. They still may trap you and you die, but you would be focused, and I think, less scared. With Romero zombies, with their slow speed, you would have more time to think about options....should I enter that house and try to barricade? Should I get in my car, even though its low on gas, and try to escape? Should I just try to run past them? More time to think, more time to second guess, more time to be scared. Running zombies would surely make more noise, making you quicker to wake up. How sound could you sleep knowing that slow, shambling zombies might shuffle up to you as you dozed?

Danny
30-Apr-2007, 03:35 PM
hes got a point.

Dommm
30-Apr-2007, 03:46 PM
mmmm... almost sold to that point....

Deadman_Deluxe
30-Apr-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok,

Firstly ... this is a stupid poll with seemingly little to no thought or effort gone into it, sorry dommmm :skull:

Secondly, for the twenty hundreth time, there are NO ZOMBIES in 28 days later, therefore that option should immediately be excluded from the "what is the scariest type of zombie" poll. Leaving only two options.

Thirdly, i voted for GARs original zombie flesheaters because i just don't buy into the idea that a freshly animated corpse would be physically capable of anything more than an awkward shamble.

A: In reality, a corpse does not have to get up and sprint around the room to be "scary", it just has to twitch, or sit upright. That in itself is "scary" enough, and that is without even having to go as far to think that it had actually returned from the dead!

B: Dracula would be "scarier" if he had heat seeking nuclear laser guns mounted on the side of his head ... but aside from "not really being dracula" ... he would also be sh1t.

Bringing me back to my original point, which was that giving the zombie flesheater powers of speed is nothing more than "a needless blurring of established and traditional character traits for the desensitized masses also known as the MTV generation".

Debbieangel
30-Apr-2007, 05:16 PM
Ya zombies they freak me out!!
Really tho, the thought of any zombie is scarey! That's why we are here and thats why the movies are made for us to watch right?
GAR's zombies scare me the most cause you dont see they are slow moving but they are still lethal. In his movies they never really tell you exactly what draws them to the living, is it the smell? noise the living makes? vibrations the living makes in the air or ground? They do guess about what might cause them to know where the living are at but do they really say? I have never seem that in his movies.
Ya, I pick GAR's zombies!

bassman
30-Apr-2007, 05:27 PM
I picked Romero's for the same reasons that Philly and others have posted before me.

Now if you were talking about being in a situation where the dead were actually taking over the planet, there would need to be an option for "The living". The living are much more frightening than the dead.

MinionZombie
30-Apr-2007, 05:51 PM
Yawn04 they run, I'd be too busy laughing and questioning the dodgy theory behind confused corpses being able to suddenly run like track athletes for them to scare me. The infected, heck, just hide out in a tower block and sneak around quietly, hide in a cottage in the countryside. :p

Now, the (proper) Dawn zombies, yes you can outrun them, but in a crowd they eventually gather, you're duped into a false sense of (semi) security and then all of a sudden - you're f*cked. Plus they're unrelenting with how they rip you apart, there's so much more doom behind their eyes, the situation is more doom ridden.

Yawn04 and 28DL are more like riots with rabies thrown in for good measure, Dawn does what it says on the tin - "when there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"...

Guess I'm taking a more philosophical approach to the question. :)

Craig
30-Apr-2007, 06:55 PM
They all have different factors that make them scary...

Walkers can sneak up on you, plus they are much more likely to horde together...
Infected are scary because of the fact they are still alive just out of their mind, plus they would probably spot you easier and they can run like the wind...
Running zombies are sort of a combination of the both, relentless like walkers, but in a fast way.

The idea of a mix like in the book Plague of the Dead is very scary to me, you'd wouldn't know whether to jog past or run the other way until it was too late.

So... I'm not gonna vote for definite.

coma
30-Apr-2007, 07:09 PM
GARs Zombies, for all the good reasons stated above.
If I saw running Zombies I'd be too busy laughing my balls off. I'd throw the trackstars a Gatorade to distract them.:p If they can run fast without reason maybe if I try hard enough I can teleport or fly or.....

Seriously, with running zombies that fly their is no chance of survival so there is no fear because your already dead. Though I would be afraid of nonsensical things happening and have to resist the urge to do something ridiculous and nonsensical so the "plot" could move forward.

Okay, not so serious. Running Zombies SUCK

CornishCorpse
30-Apr-2007, 08:04 PM
Running zombies do suck but in a somehow real life scenario what would screw with you more? The limping figures in the distance or the screaming mob running towards you?

Both have their own scary charecteristics but I think GAR because Philly`s argument sold me.

Mutineer
30-Apr-2007, 09:50 PM
What is so scary about ROMERO zombies ? Yes, they're dead; yes, they'll punk you if cornered and there are many of them ...

But they're walking and stumbling at 2 mph. I am not syaing it would not be scary, because of course, the relentless pursuit of hungy cannibals would suck ..

But at least we have time to 'get to the car', 'run around them' or even 'though the crowd'

-

Dawn 04's of course would suck (Running) but I chose the 28 Days Later brand of crazy zombiefied cannibal. They have such an explosive vibe; that RAGE is like pure evil. No other undead (Except in the orginal running zombies THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD) would come flying through the French Doors with the glass panes at you; no other zombies turn you like the RAGE virus does (seconds) ...

MissJacksonCA
30-Apr-2007, 10:47 PM
The method of speading the illness almost made it impossible not to become infected. I mean Hannah's dad just had a single drop of blood from a flesh-eater turn him into one. And what if you're outta bullets and start using a knife to kill them there's blood going every where it makes it most difficult not to get infected. Especially when you consider the average open woundage and vulnerable areas of the body. For instance your eyes and mouth. And just counting up the number of scars I have now (I like to play rough lol) it would be nearly impossible for me not to get infected. I'd have to cover my whole body in saran wrap and then put on clothes.

I understand what Philly's saying but dont quite agree. With a mob of screaming flesh eaters coming after me (whether infected of dawn) my adrenaline would start pumping because i'd be freaking out. I'd have to pick what weapon means the most to me and what mode of transportation i'm going to stake my life on. And then as i'm running away or using my bicycle i'm terrified there's another horde just around the corner just aching and waiting to eat me. I wouldn't be able to rest or focus or concentrate because they would be coming after me with such fury. And I beg to differ that 28 zombies do have to be shot in the head or have some serious brain damage whacking in order to die.

However with Romero's zombies I kept getting shocked when people would die because they move so slow. You basically have to be totally stupid and getting cornered in order to die. Though that wasn't always the case in the movies cos those were scripted for suspense purposes and for plot reasons. I just wouldn't be scared by slow moving creatures as much as I would be by those that would test my ability to survive. I'm just not scared by a feminine camper in the woods like I am by any person being surrounded and slowly torn apart by violent fast moving flesh eating zombies like Bart in Dawn or Mailer in 28 (I think it was mailer). And what makes the 28 zombies scarier than Dawn is they seemed to be more aware of the living people around them. For instance in 28 in the church when Cillian walks in and is screaming it wasn't but moments before infected were going who what ooo look brunch!

To me scary isn't just something you hide from scary is something you have to survive against and overcome and outsmart and out think. Its what gets your adrenaline pumping and the blood flowing. Its 28 Days Later and with some luck 28 Weeks Later too.

Cody
30-Apr-2007, 10:54 PM
is anyone gonna agree with me on the rotld zombies???

capncnut
01-May-2007, 01:12 AM
I voted for The Infected, there's no way I want a pair of them busting in through my front window at 1000 miles an hour when I'm trying to light a doob. Man, close to the end of 28DL two of the infected soldiers try to RAPE one of the soldiers, now that's scary!

is anyone gonna agree with me on the rotld zombies???
I'll agree with ya Codes. I wouldn't like to be cornered by 'em on a dark night. :eek:

MissJacksonCA
01-May-2007, 01:14 AM
was it when the dude was on the island table in the kitchen and one infected seemed to have his arms and the other had his legs? cos if it was I think they were just fighting over who gets the entrailssss

capncnut
01-May-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah, it's the same scene but as the director said in the commentary; "Why can't The Infected f**k someone to death? Or at least attempt it? It's the most basic of functions..." :eek:

MissJacksonCA
01-May-2007, 01:19 AM
greaaaaaaaaaaat now I gotta watch the movie and laugh it over a few times

i see men in desparation reaching out for anything thats there its like the prison effect...

Dommm
01-May-2007, 08:48 AM
Ok,

Firstly ... this is a stupid poll with seemingly little to no thought or effort gone into it, sorry dommmm :skull:

Firstly there are no stupid questions only silly answers :p

Secondly, for the twenty hundreth time, there are NO ZOMBIES in 28 days later, therefore that option should immediately be excluded from the "what is the scariest type of zombie" poll. Leaving only two options.

MMMM... as the answer suggests I put in there infected and the terming of the question is put out as they can be compaired to Zombies

Thirdly, i voted for GARs original zombie flesheaters because i just don't buy into the idea that a freshly animated corpse would be physically capable of anything more than an awkward shamble.

MMM... impericale evidence would be needed here, to my knowledge I have not read a truely scientific account of a dead man rising and walking yet nor seen one so I dont claim to know how they would behave, move or anything, all we have is fiction at the moment based around this.

But hey these are just my opinions

Hessian
01-May-2007, 04:02 PM
ROTLD zombies. But since their not on the pole.

1. Dawn 04
2. 28 days later
3. Romero

I would think of it in terms of biggest threat. GAR zombies are slow and only really dangerous in large numbers or if one gets the drop on you. The infected in 28 days later run, but are nothing more then rabid humans. They are still vulnerable to everything a normal person is. What makes them scarier is the infection takes effect in seconds.

Dawn 04 zombies are a real menace. They run and are only vulnerable to headshots/head trauma. Not easy to do when they are coming at you like bats out of hell. 1 of these can be a bigger problem for you then 10 GAR zombies.

DVW5150
01-May-2007, 05:00 PM
That is the question.GARs zeds just seem to nibble most of the time.
Last year someone posted a scientific approach and coverage of the outbreak as it happened using GARs films as touchstones so to speak.
Somewhere along the line, experiences with these 'standing stinky-poos' is that they initially eat w/ aggression.Only partially eating their victims, of course there are the smoragasboards (the fine char-broiled dining in NOLD90 at the fragged gas pump)... They mostly want more fresh meat(I just had the visual of Ripley in "Alien :Resurrection", where she says, "If they are anywhere, it would be here, where the meat is." I liked that),something to do with the body heat/ 98 degrees that bodies make or something.
For my money, the slow and steady zed is alittle more scary.
A psychological approach to this would be what is it that makes an undead scarier? For an individual that is well equipped to handle an event like this, the running nasties would be abit more of a challenge. If you have someone that has a mere baseball bat, then forget about it.
If any one has the tenacity to suggest what to have for this kind of an event, it would be DeadmanDeluxe...BTW one might want to check in in his journal, it freaks me out.
Rigor-mortis (sp) is an unavoidable factor in movement of these things.
Being able to run is just too unbelievable when I think about it...
But in my opinion, the little girl & the husbands-turning in the beginning of DOTD 04 is really nasty good.
I am 'torn' between the 2 types of zeds to be honest.
ROTLD had moments:
"Send more paramedics." or " Send more cops."...more than I can list.
The Return of the Living Dead zeds, I would just leave them out. I see that as comedy-horror, which in my opinion, isnt sub to GARs work , just in a different category.
// Quote by DeadmanDeluxe: " Bringing me back to my original point, which was that giving the zombie flesheater powers of speed is nothing more than "a needless blurring of established and traditional character traits for the desensitized masses also known as the MTV generation".- lmao

Pnub
01-May-2007, 05:34 PM
I voted for the 2004 zombies. This is really becuase of their speed, it was a toss up between them and in the Infected. I know there not zombies but they still eat you and your fuct if your bitten.

I totally understand that the GAR zombies are scary, but everything that they do, the 2004 zombies do but faster. My thinking behind my choice is that If i had to choose one outcome I'd go for ones I can out run. I know that they gather in big groups but I'd like to think id be well out of the way before then, and being chased i'd be eaten after a mile or so, knowing my luck i'd trip and they'd wripp me to pieces.

well thats my pennies worth

Cody
02-May-2007, 01:11 AM
thats the only think with 28 days later is that the infection takes on so quick...but sadly they are not zombs.

MissJacksonCA
02-May-2007, 01:18 AM
I do think the infected were zombies I mean while you may feel one has to die and be reanimated to be a zombie I think a person who stops being a human and exists in a new way and is prone to eating flesh of their fellow humans is then a zombie. Its like they become a primitive creature. Additionally the zombies in 28 Weeks later were resistant to gunfire and needed bullets to their wee noggin or a real head banging in order to die. Typical of zombie films with the exception of ROTLD...

And while ROTLD isn't on the list those zombies weren't scary because they could talk and say brains they were too funny. And so poorly created I mean that torso zombie didn't have lips or a tongue but could say brains! As if!

Danny
02-May-2007, 01:31 AM
I do think the infected were zombies

*runs for cover as deadman and mz stomp up to bitch at her*

MinionZombie
02-May-2007, 10:37 AM
*runs for cover as deadman and mz stomp up to bitch at her*
*puts ninja slippers on, does some twirls in the air, lands in a fancy manner, quiet as a cat ... ... belches ... ahhh maaaate*

*ahem*

The infected in 28 Days Later never die, it's basically an angry-angry-hippo's version of rabies. There's people and then there's people with "rage".

Within 28 days they're dying out from starvation as they're not finding any people to feast on - they're essentially rabid cannibals.

They never die during the transformation, ergo - not zombies. Even Alex Garland and Danny Boyle insist they are not zombies, if the writer and director say so, then I believe them.

:)

*vanishes into the shadows, Shinobi stylee* :shifty:

Danny
02-May-2007, 11:12 AM
There's people and then there's people with "rage".

what?, y'mean like scousers?:p

Deadman_Deluxe
02-May-2007, 12:21 PM
what?, y'mean like scousers?:p

What you fcukin tryna say lar?

I do think the infected were zombies ...

*Walks slowly out of a large cloud of smoke*

*Searches out nearest solid concrete structure*

*Bangs head repeatedly against wall*

THERE ARE NO ZOMBIES IN 28 DAYS LATER!!! NOT EVEN WHEN YOU TAKE IT TECH!!! NOT EVER!!! BEGONE WITH YOU WOMAN!!!

*Jumps back into waiting cloud of smoke*

DVW5150
02-May-2007, 12:34 PM
I do think the infected were zombies I mean while you may feel one has to die and be reanimated to be a zombie I think a person who stops being a human and exists in a new way and is prone to eating flesh of their fellow humans is then a zombie. Its like they become a primitive creature. Additionally the zombies in 28 Weeks later were resistant to gunfire and needed bullets to their wee noggin or a real head banging in order to die. Typical of zombie films with the exception of ROTLD...

And while ROTLD isn't on the list those zombies weren't scary because they could talk and say brains they were too funny. And so poorly created I mean that torso zombie didn't have lips or a tongue but could say brains! As if!There are NO zeds in 28 days ...sorry.

Miss Jackson, it is a comedy. Enunciation is a myth in comedy.

Dommm
02-May-2007, 02:07 PM
mmm.... I have to say, the question never was not one of the 28 days later variety of cannible being zombies (I am of the camp they are not) but merely which one of these creatures is more scary hmmph!!!

as far as the rotld zombies, i dont think they are scary at all, in fact i wander if any of them would be willing to catch a laugh and smoke a joint.... only problem being that of there brain addiction mmmm...

MinionZombie
02-May-2007, 05:28 PM
Ahhh, but the rage-infected nutters in 28DL can't be settled with a bit of hand action and "calm down, calm down" :lol: ... ahhhh f*ck me that's classic 90's comedy, right back to my early teenage years, or thereabouts...kinda fuzzy memory...legendary though.

capncnut
02-May-2007, 05:28 PM
as far as the rotld zombies, i dont think they are scary at all, in fact i wander if any of them would be willing to catch a laugh and smoke a joint...
I dunno man, what about that little legless one that chases Don Calfa... man, makes my skin crawl! :skull:

EvilNed
02-May-2007, 09:27 PM
I think both would be scary as ****. But I don't see how the running zombies could ever spread across the world, seeing as they only transfer by bite.

Thus, Romero zombies. They could be anywhere at anytime. At least the running zombies you KNOW where they're at... because they make alot more noise.

MinionZombie
02-May-2007, 09:42 PM
At least the running zombies you KNOW where they're at... because they make alot more noise.

And they fly. :sneaky::D

zombieparanoia
02-May-2007, 10:07 PM
I think each type of zombie has a situation in which it is scariest, just IMHO

Rise: the runners would be scarier because it would be unexpected and sudden, a situation which quickly spun out of control whereas it would take a while and allow more people more time to prepare/fortify/loot with the shamblers.

Siege: Shamblers would be scarier because they seemed to be more intent on actually getting in the runners never seemed to be doing much banging on the doors breaking in etc, it just seemed they were sort of "out of sight out of mind" as far as seeking out people to eat. With shamblers they seemed more dedicated to getting through your barricade to kill you while runners seemed happy just hanging out in the parking lot.

Fall: Runners would be scarier in a post collapse situation because most survivors at that point would be scrounging for supplies which would put them in situations where they would have to deal with the speed and ferocity of the runners, the shamblers could theoretically at least be manouvered around or herded to minimize their risk.

kona843
03-May-2007, 12:34 AM
I hated Dawn 04, simply because it decided to take the title of one of the greatest zombie flicks ever made... and twisted and changed all the rules. I think the slow zombies will always be creepier, much much creepier... and thats what i want to see when i watch a horror, I want a chill running down my spine, if i wanted action then i would watch an action film. Fast zombies suck.

Dommm
03-May-2007, 10:02 AM
I dunno man, what about that little legless one that chases Don Calfa... man, makes my skin crawl! :skull:

:lol: ahh but if I hand him a joint he'd be like

"brainesss"

"brainees"

"puff puff exhale"

"brainee... ahh **** it"

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 05:38 AM
Shamblers because they take their time in reaching you. All the while you're thinking about how their going to rip you apart and how much it's going to hurt. Half the horror is psychological peeps.

Danny
25-Jun-2007, 05:48 AM
how come people keep saying there cannibals in 28 days later?:rockbrow:

acealive1
25-Jun-2007, 05:53 AM
some of ya must be livin in a dream.....if u think pancake makeup zombies scare u more than able bodied RUNNING virus carriers..then somethings terribly wrong in derry.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 05:56 AM
how come people keep saying there cannibals in 28 days later?:rockbrow:

Don't know. But they're probably the same ones who classify them as "zombies" when we know that technically they're not.

Danny
25-Jun-2007, 06:04 AM
neither are the ghouls in the romero films if you think of em that way, there under the influence of something else thats controlling them, thats a zombie.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 06:08 AM
neither are the ghouls in the romero films if you think of em that way, there under the influence of something else thats controlling them, thats a zombie.

That's not fair. It was the media that dubbed them zombies because of the trance like state that made them resemble the ones from voodoo mysticism. To be fair the word zombie was never uttered in Notld. As a matter of fact, there wasn't even a term for what romero created. That's why he kicks ass cause he's original.

acealive1
25-Jun-2007, 06:18 AM
Don't know. But they're probably the same ones who classify them as "zombies" when we know that technically they're not.\

cmon,i'd be screamin like a lil girl if they ran after me.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 06:25 AM
\

cmon,i'd be screamin like a lil girl if they ran after me.

Oh there's no doubt i would be as well. I'd probably throw some tears in free of charge as well. :dead:

jdog
25-Jun-2007, 07:01 AM
Oh there's no doubt i would be as well. I'd probably throw some tears in free of charge as well. :dead:

if they ran i would be done, i'd be to busey sh!ting my pants to run:lol: original dawn zombie have a more evil feel to them its like "we might not get you now but wait we'll get you" horror to them. the running z's leave no time to be scared or try to fight back. to me the real horror is in a enemy you can defeat but ends up wining because peaple cant see eye to eye and defeat it.:eek:

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 07:03 AM
if they ran i would be done, i'd be to busey sh!ting my pants to run:lol: original dawn zombie have a more evil feel to them its like "we might not get you now but wait we'll get you" horror to them. the running z's leave no time to be scared or try to fight back. to me the real horror is in a enemy you can defeat but ends up wining because peaple cant see eye to eye and defeat it.:eek:

Finally, someone who gets the subject matter !! Damn, i'm starting to sound like one of hellsings professors. :D

jdog
25-Jun-2007, 07:17 AM
out of all the zombie films out there GAR are the only ones with a a realistic vibe to them. you almost get a feeling like your in the movie. (i used to daydream alot when i was younger about what i would do if it really hapened,:| and i would play dawn of the dead with my friends out in the woods):D not many movies have that kind of impact on a person, i still think about this movie alot and watch it at least once a month i even have the dawn logo tattoo on my right shoulder. its safe to say i'm obsesed with this movie:lol:

sgrosse
25-Jun-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, I voted for Dawn 04. but in reality it wouldnt really matter. Theres frikin zombies walking around. And for those that would laugh at running zombies because they somehow dont fit whatever theory of zombies that you might have, i would like to say this: Zombies are a physical impossibility. If it were to happen, that would mean that the laws of nature have been ruled out for the time being. Would it really matter if they ran, or walked, or started doing a Jig? They are zombies, we all would be crapping our pants. I dont care how hard you think you are, if they ran or walked, it would scare us just the same.

RustyHicks
25-Jun-2007, 05:06 PM
I have to say Romero's zombies are scary, and more realistic. Look back at some of the zombie movies from the 50's and even Lugi's Zombi2 movie, they all move slow and creep along. Romero's zombies are just creepy that way and more of a threat. You can easily put your guard down, thinking you can walk right by them, but they can lash out at you real fast. The zombies from Dawn04, were too comical for me.
In fact Dawn04 was a good movie on it's own, but it should have never been called the Dawn of the Dead remake, it wasn't even a remake.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 05:11 PM
Shamblers definitely have more of that "ghoulish" quality to them. They just seem more dead. The runners, simply because they're running seem more like just angry people.

CapnRhodes
27-Jun-2007, 11:08 PM
In my opinion it just depends

Running zombies - They are scarier because they are fast, they can attack out of nowhere, and they are stronger

Slow zombies - Even though they are slow, they are usually lots more of them which would make it more difficult to stay clear of them

Infected (28 days) - Never seen it

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 11:18 PM
In my opinion it just depends

Running zombies - They are scarier because they are fast, they can attack out of nowhere, and they are stronger

Slow zombies - Even though they are slow, they are usually lots more of them which would make it more difficult to stay clear of them

Infected (28 days) - Never seen it

I don't think it's a given that if they are shamblers that there's going to be more of them. The runners are just as many in number and are way more overwhelming. Atleast you'd stand a chance against a few hundred shamblers. You'd be dead in the water if confronted with just a couple dozen runners.

MissJacksonCA
28-Jun-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm watching RE Apocalypse and I have to say I like their zombies the best... they dont quite run... they dont stagger as painfully slowly as the Romero ones... there's somewheres in between and I'm diggin it...

darth los
28-Jun-2007, 12:18 AM
The one thing about romeros xombies is thst they act inconsistent. In one scene there like hounds out of hell, all agressive and what not. Then in the next scene there almost catatonic. I guess whatever the scene calls for right?

MissJacksonCA
28-Jun-2007, 12:20 AM
Yeah that was a disappointment for me in zombie flicks too... often the zombies are inconsistent in their behavior

darth los
28-Jun-2007, 12:27 AM
Or how about a couple of times in dawn when zombies walked right past a fresh meal? It happened twice in the apartment building. Once in the basement when the cops knocked the wooden panel in and again in the apartment where roger and another swat member a wrestling the female zed.

MissJacksonCA
28-Jun-2007, 12:32 AM
Well in Dawn I found it interesting when the fab four were going to lock down the mall and Fran was sitting in the JC Penneys... the zombies lost interest in trying to get to her... it didn't make sense... because you see Roger all alone trying to hobble his way into the pinto to get it started and a zombie was right on his ass... and before anyone can make the argument that they could tell she was 'protected' from them behind the glass panel wall ...how could the zombies tell one person was eatable and another person was safe from attack and to move on? It didn't really make sense to me...

There were a few more times when the bikers came into the mall to raid the place when it seemed odd that they weren't really trying to attack or surround the bikers... they were more like doing the silly fat man dance and just turning round and round la la la like they're not flesh hungry...

darth los
28-Jun-2007, 12:40 AM
Well in Dawn I found it interesting when the fab four were going to lock down the mall and Fran was sitting in the JC Penneys... the zombies lost interest in trying to get to her... it didn't make sense... because you see Roger all alone trying to hobble his way into the pinto to get it started and a zombie was right on his ass... and before anyone can make the argument that they could tell she was 'protected' from them behind the glass panel wall ...how could the zombies tell one person was eatable and another person was safe from attack and to move on? It didn't really make sense to me...

Also, if you remember the ball player zombie was just sitting on the other side of the glass staring at her, not trying to get at her either. The same with the nun zombie who got her dress caught in the glass. It's funny but the glass partition didn't stop the zeds from wanting to eat the guys when they made their first venture into the mall. see? Inconsistent.

acealive1
28-Jun-2007, 02:55 AM

i'd be crying and laughin at the same time. hysterocal laughin like "OMG!! HELP ME!!"

darth los
28-Jun-2007, 03:11 AM
Actually there's not much difference between crying and laughing. It's mostly emotional.

MissJacksonCA
28-Jun-2007, 03:12 AM
sometimes i laugh so hard i cry... it usually leads to a stomach ache and depending on circumstance i may or may not lose water out my nose if i was drinking something at the time

raym
28-Jun-2007, 03:16 AM
Dawn (2004) for me.

Having something run at you IS scarier, to be honest.

I exclude 28 Days, for (although a good flick and zombies themselves) I'm in the camp that refuses to group it with Romero's films.

acealive1
28-Jun-2007, 03:21 AM
Actually there's not much difference between crying and laughing. It's mostly emotional.

true. but still...........

darth los
28-Jun-2007, 03:30 AM
Dawn (2004) for me.

Having something run at you IS scarier, to be honest.

I exclude 28 Days, for (although a good flick and zombies themselves) I'm in the camp that refuses to group it with Romero's films.

I think that when the pressure is on you , that you don't really have time to be scared. you're just reacting on instinct. The horror of the shamblers is more psychological. Isn't that what true horror is? A bi product of fear rather than a phsysical reaction to something? And no, i don't associate the infected from 28 days later with gar's mythology because technically they're not zombies. Still a great film, but apples and oranges none the less.

MinionZombie
28-Jun-2007, 04:07 PM
Shamblers are scarier, because they related to the ineptitude of man. You get cocky and think you can take them and just whizz by, but you're soon surrounded out of the blue and you panic, then you're completely f*cked.

Fast zombies are just used by people who've no idea how to make slow zombies scary (and no, that's not a dig at Deadlands, I love that film, but DL has fast and slow zombies and Gary actually worked them well).

What I'm talking about is sh*t-fests like Yawn04, because it was too hard for them to make a slow zombies movie scary, plus they were cashing in on 28 Days Later, even though it's not even a freaking zombie movie (great plague movie though).

But as I said before, anything running at you is scary.

darth los
28-Jun-2007, 04:23 PM
What I'm talking about is sh*t-fests like Yawn04, because it was too hard for them to make a slow zombies movie scary, plus they were cashing in on 28 Days Later, even though it's not even a freaking zombie movie (great plague movie though).

But that would have involed a fleshing out of the plot and....GASP!!... CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT !!!:eek:

MinionZombie
28-Jun-2007, 04:25 PM
But that would have involed a fleshing out of the plot and....GASP!!... CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT !!!:eek:
I know, my post was already laden with irony and "sar-kar-zum". :D

The shockingly bad writing of Yawn04 is only surpassed by that on the 4th and 5th ROTLD movies.

RustyHicks
28-Jun-2007, 04:50 PM
Nothing can beat the zombies from the Romero Trilogy, (not including Land) they just seemed more threathening, even though they lumbered around and looked kind of slow and brainless. The zombies from Dawn04, weren't too believable, maybe it's cause I am so use to seeing the slow, lumbering zombies. When that fat lady from Dawn04 became a zombie, got up and ran to attack the others, I actually laughed out loud and though to myself, it looks like a bad scene from the movie "The Blob"

MissJacksonCA
29-Jun-2007, 09:53 AM
I kinda always thought the 'shamblers' were just cheesy... not really psychologically threatening... it seemed to me like they were stumbling about for cheese factor... kinda along the same lines as the odd facial expressions of some of them...

And even still I think that the running zombies would pose a greater threat to your psyche because I'd be willing to say a good lot of people would imagine themselves able to outrun a zombie... and being faced with a massive horde of flesh eaters coming after you your obvious instinct would be to run... but then you're faced with numerous problems ... by running you're making noise... attracting more zombies... and if you choose to climb up a tree/building/whatever you're faced with the threat of them following after you... the one thing the running zombie flicks never really probed was would the zombies swim? In Dawn 04 they seemed like they couldn't swim because after CJ bombs the mall van and blows up a section of the dock... the zombies aren't seen trying to get to Michael or the others on the other side... instead they kinda gather on shore like pavlovs dogs waiting for dindin or something. But I think the sheer threat of some flesh hungry beasties coming at you from all directions may well create a sort of brain overload because you're left with wondering wtf am I gonna do and you start setting aside a bullet for yourself...

I did see some discrepancy among the Dawn 04 zombies though... it didn't make sense that they'd investigate the sewer in search of a hot fresh meal and not go running after some munchies at the docks... and speaking of the sewer scene... it seemed like the zombies weren't quite with it because they didn't notice them coming up so much out of the sewer until everyone was out... that just didn't make sense ...also it seemed like they were slow to catch up to the survivors when they were trying to rescue Lindy Booth from her own stupidity... and again it happened when Sarah Polley was grabbing the keys from Ty Burrell for the boat downtown and she was nearly surrounded... I also didn't dig the way when at the beginning the security guard went to bite into Russian chicas arm and bite that but when met with resistance he didn't try to bite some other part of her body... it was like he was hungry but growing weak... perhaps weak from lack of food but the transition from infection breakout to that scene was only about i'd say 12 hours... but of course he prolly ate before the food court closed so... he shoulda been full... but how the hell did he get infected? And come to think of it how the hell did the janitor in the sports store get infected? If it started with the guy who was brought into the hospital who was in a bar fight... it didn't make sense that any of the security guards or janitors woulda been infected.. if they got bit they woulda gone to the hospital or even not shown up for work. And how were some people locked into the parking garage and not others? And where were the mall security SUVs? WTF happened to Kenneths cop car? Those things are built like brick **** houses for a reason. And how'd they even have enough guns to go rescue Lindy?

grrrr....

flyboy
30-Jun-2007, 09:51 PM
I voted for Romero zombies as more scary. I suppose that is any of the three actually happened, it would be scary for sure. However, the Dawn04 zombies moving so fast... I think your mind would be too focused to be scared at the time. For example.... what is scarier is a horror movie... seeing Jason whack a guys head with a machette, or seeing the girl alone in the woods, worried about Jason? The suspense makes the latter more scary, in my opinion. With Dawn04 zombies, with their high rate of speed, they would never "sneak up on you", you would know for sure they were coming, and be as prepared as you could. They still may trap you and you die, but you would be focused, and I think, less scared. With Romero zombies, with their slow speed, you would have more time to think about options....should I enter that house and try to barricade? Should I get in my car, even though its low on gas, and try to escape? Should I just try to run past them? More time to think, more time to second guess, more time to be scared. Running zombies would surely make more noise, making you quicker to wake up. How sound could you sleep knowing that slow, shambling zombies might shuffle up to you as you dozed?

@agree!:)

darth los
30-Jun-2007, 10:14 PM
I kinda always thought the 'shamblers' were just cheesy... not really psychologically threatening... it seemed to me like they were stumbling about for cheese factor... kinda along the same lines as the odd facial expressions of some of them...

And even still I think that the running zombies would pose a greater threat to your psyche because I'd be willing to say a good lot of people would imagine themselves able to outrun a zombie... and being faced with a massive horde of flesh eaters coming after you your obvious instinct would be to run... but then you're faced with numerous problems ... by running you're making noise... attracting more zombies... and if you choose to climb up a tree/building/whatever you're faced with the threat of them following after you... the one thing the running zombie flicks never really probed was would the zombies swim? In Dawn 04 they seemed like they couldn't swim because after CJ bombs the mall van and blows up a section of the dock... the zombies aren't seen trying to get to Michael or the others on the other side... instead they kinda gather on shore like pavlovs dogs waiting for dindin or something. But I think the sheer threat of some flesh hungry beasties coming at you from all directions may well create a sort of brain overload because you're left with wondering wtf am I gonna do and you start setting aside a bullet for yourself...

I did see some discrepancy among the Dawn 04 zombies though... it didn't make sense that they'd investigate the sewer in search of a hot fresh meal and not go running after some munchies at the docks... and speaking of the sewer scene... it seemed like the zombies weren't quite with it because they didn't notice them coming up so much out of the sewer until everyone was out... that just didn't make sense ...also it seemed like they were slow to catch up to the survivors when they were trying to rescue Lindy Booth from her own stupidity... and again it happened when Sarah Polley was grabbing the keys from Ty Burrell for the boat downtown and she was nearly surrounded... I also didn't dig the way when at the beginning the security guard went to bite into Russian chicas arm and bite that but when met with resistance he didn't try to bite some other part of her body... it was like he was hungry but growing weak... perhaps weak from lack of food but the transition from infection breakout to that scene was only about i'd say 12 hours... but of course he prolly ate before the food court closed so... he shoulda been full... but how the hell did he get infected? And come to think of it how the hell did the janitor in the sports store get infected? If it started with the guy who was brought into the hospital who was in a bar fight... it didn't make sense that any of the security guards or janitors woulda been infected.. if they got bit they woulda gone to the hospital or even not shown up for work. And how were some people locked into the parking garage and not others? And where were the mall security SUVs? WTF happened to Kenneths cop car? Those things are built like brick **** houses for a reason. And how'd they even have enough guns to go rescue Lindy?

grrrr....

First off there's nothing cheesy about the shamblers in day. The dawn ghouls were indeed over the top because that was gar's intent. He wanted them to basically look as dumb and mesmerized as actual people who wander through malls like.... well like zombies.

We have no idea what the level of awareness is for those zombies. There's not exactly set criteria in place. Who knows why they didn't notice them. They certainly noticed them when he let that sewer cover fall all loud and what not, i'll tell you that much. As for how the janitor got infected, we have no idea if the guy at the hospital is indeed patient zero, if he was merely only the first person we heard of that was infected or even if he was infected at all. He might have just been injured in a run of the mill bar fight. You claim to have been bittem before right? So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

As for your other dawn 04' observations, those are indeed some good questions and i have a couple more things to add to that. They were spending all that time wondering about how to get andy and no one ever thought to take the truck that the second group of survivors came in. Kenneth certainly knew it was available because he intended on using it to go to fort pastor to get his brother. Major blunder by the writers. Also, You would think that they would have stocked the buses with some supplies. They had absolutely nothing but a couple of chainsaws. They didn't have food, water or medical supplies. They poorly planned for that. As for how many guns they had, Each of the mall security gaurds had a revolver apiece. Kenneth had his shotgun and they lifted the guns off the bodies of andre and that old lady after they killed each other. She had a 357. and dre had a nine millemeter. That makes 6.