PDA

View Full Version : Do you 'email subscribe' to threads?

Neil
03-May-2007, 12:34 PM
So, when you post a thread/response, do you (generally) subscribe? If so do you ask for an email? Or just look in your Control Panel (User CP)?

Danny
03-May-2007, 12:36 PM
not really, i post a fair few posts a day so wiating for a witty response to each one would take up a lot email space, plus yknow, its not that hard to just click on the sites link and y'know just look at the threads.

Eyebiter
03-May-2007, 04:32 PM
Bah! Subscribing to a thread is for the search impaired.

capncnut
03-May-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't personally subscribe to any thread but for some reason every time I log in I'm always subscribed to one.

bassman
03-May-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't personally subscribe to any thread but for some reason every time I log in I'm always subscribed to one.

Same here....

Neil
03-May-2007, 05:46 PM
I can't believe so many people don't subscribe in anyway! How do you know if after a week or so, if someone then replies to a thread you were involved with?

Same here....

And, you've checked your default settings? ie: When you reply/post what be default your registration option is? Also that does not affect previously subscribed (to) threads...

fartpants
03-May-2007, 05:54 PM
just keep checking them the old fashioned way...

MinionZombie
03-May-2007, 05:56 PM
I always subscribe to threads via email notifications. I like to know when and where my responses are, so I can go directly to them. Then after I've been through all my email responses at the beginning of an internet sesh, I go and search around the rest of the site on my own, forum by forum, to find new posts.

This way I don't miss any responses, unless the system conks out like it did that one time, or occasionally you get a time when you don't get an email notification, but that's very rare.

Hooray for email notifications!

MikePizzoff
03-May-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't, but somehow I got subscribed to the most recent Stephen King thread... I don't know how that happened.

Neil
03-May-2007, 08:14 PM
just keep checking them the old fashioned way...

Try subscribing (without email) and see how you get on :)

Cody
03-May-2007, 10:28 PM
back in 02 I accidently subscrubed to a thread by accident and it got huuuuuge had over a 100 emails and i couldnt figure out how to un subscribe...i dont subscribe anymore lol

Chic Freak
03-May-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't subscribe to threads on here, this is more my non-work-related chilling out board so I just sort of waft in when I'm in the mood :)

Andy
03-May-2007, 10:36 PM
Ive never subscribed to threads on any forums ive been on, to be honest it would just bug me :p

Cody
03-May-2007, 10:49 PM
^^^ pretty much

capncnut
04-May-2007, 01:33 AM
Why the hell would I wanna subscribe? I know this place like the back fo my hand. I guess it's okay for the technically unsavvy... do these folks even register with forums? Obviously so...

Neil
04-May-2007, 08:04 AM
Ive never subscribed to threads on any forums ive been on, to be honest it would just bug me :p

That really surprises me!? So if you post say three new threads... Every time you logon, you have to manually hunt down those three threads, to see if/what the replies there are?

But, if you've subscribed (say with no email), a single click when you logon to go into "User CP", tells you instantly if anyone has replied, to any of those posts... Job done...

Just can't see any benefit of not subscribing, at least without email :stunned:

Surely you must waste so much time just checking up on threads, and miss so many posts that have been made to threads you forget to check?

ps: How can subscribing (without email for example) bug you?

MinionZombie
04-May-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't understand this notion of getting a shedload of notifications, on a busy day at HPOTD I'll check my email and find I've got say anywhere under 25 to go through, but that's rare, usually it's under 15, and it takes me directly to all the responses I've got waiting, so I never miss the continuation of the threads, because guaranteed you're going to forget about some threads and then that's no good is it?

It's nice and simple, takes you right to the response, and BOSH - job done. Then you can go and lurk around for new posts and threads you're not subscribed to as yet.

I love the system.

Andy
04-May-2007, 01:24 PM
That really surprises me!? So if you post say three new threads... Every time you logon, you have to manually hunt down those three threads, to see if/what the replies there are?

But, if you've subscribed (say with no email), a single click when you logon to go into "User CP", tells you instantly if anyone has replied, to any of those posts... Job done...

Just can't see any benefit of not subscribing, at least without email :stunned:

Surely you must waste so much time just checking up on threads, and miss so many posts that have been made to threads you forget to check?

ps: How can subscribing (without email for example) bug you?
Well i like checking myself, if i subscribed to every topic i posted in, my user cp would be rammed with notifications and i cant be bothered deleting them.. i never find time to delete my PM's as it :p

As for email notification, im on alot of forums, if i used email notification i would get easilly 50+ emails a day, i would lose my important daily emails in that mass, again its finding time to sift through them all.

it would just bug me is the short answer lol.

deadpunk
04-May-2007, 02:25 PM
My default setting is to be subscribed with email. I like it because I can see whats been posted without actually wandering over to read. If it's some lame joke thats been posted on a serious thread, I haven't wasted my time coming back to reply.

Anytime I'm done with a thread, I simply unsubscribe. No muss, no fuss.

Philly_SWAT
05-May-2007, 11:27 AM
I can't believe so many people don't subscribe in anyway! How do you know if after a week or so, if someone then replies to a thread you were involved with?

Well, ever since you changed to this new board, a new post to a thread moves that thread to the top of the list, making it easy to see a new post has occured.

Neil
05-May-2007, 04:51 PM
Well i like checking myself, if i subscribed to every topic i posted in, my user cp would be rammed with notifications and i cant be bothered deleting them.. i never find time to delete my PM's as it :p
But there is no need to delete them?

At a single click ("USER CP") you can see any reply to any thread you've been involved with... Seems to powerful an option to ignore :thumbsup:

Well, ever since you changed to this new board, a new post to a thread moves that thread to the top of the list, making it easy to see a new post has occured.

Trust me, try subscribing (without email) and then just go into USER CP... It's rather useful!

I don't understand this notion of getting a shedload of notifications, on a busy day at HPOTD I'll check my email and find I've got say anywhere under 25 to go through, but that's rare, usually it's under 15, and it takes me directly to all the responses I've got waiting, so I never miss the continuation of the threads, because guaranteed you're going to forget about some threads and then that's no good is it?

It's nice and simple, takes you right to the response, and BOSH - job done. Then you can go and lurk around for new posts and threads you're not subscribed to as yet.

I love the system.

Me to, I just don't go in for the email aspect of it...