PDA

View Full Version : Ra's Al Ghul

bassman
03-May-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE here has seen "Batman Begins", but if you live under a rock and haven't seen it, it would probably be in your best interest to stop reading now.

The main villian of the movie is Ra's Al Ghul, right? Well, after reading some arguing on the IMDB boards and asking some buddies about it......there must be some confusion about the character. I feel that I'm right, but when there's a lot of people saying differently I start to second guess myself. I figured maybe some of you guys could help clear it up.

Okay, so Bruce Wayne was found in jail by Henry Ducard(Liam Neeson) and taken to Ra's Al Ghul's(Ken Watanabe) temple to be trained and eventually become a member of the League of Shadows. When asked to decapitate a man, Wayne refuses, starts a fire, Ra's Al Ghul dies from falling timbers, and Ducard is saved.

Then at Bruce Wayne's birthday party, a lady introduces him to a man named Ra's Al Ghul. When the man turns around, it isn't the same man. Wayne says something about "I watched Ra's Al Ghul die". Then from behind, Ducard says "But is Ra's Al Ghul immortal?".

This is where the real question lies. People think that Ra's is some immortal spirit that lives on in different bodies and they will argue this to the death. The clincher is that right after Ducard's "immortal" line.....Bruce Wayne clearly says something along the lines of "So you use cheap parlor tricks to conceil your identity, Ra's"(looking at Ducard).

Meaning that Ducard was always Ra's Al Ghul and just used someone else to double for him, right? I've had many different people argue with me that Ra's is some spirit that can't be killed and all this ridiculous sh*t. Ducard(Liam Neeson) IS Ra's Al Ghul, RIGHT???

EvilNed
03-May-2007, 03:04 PM
In the film, yes. Liam Neeson is Ra's. But I'm not sure if Ra's can move between bodies in the comics, but I suspect not seeing as Batman tends to stay away from the supernatural... Or am I wrong?

bassman
03-May-2007, 03:08 PM
In the film, yes. Liam Neeson is Ra's. But I'm not sure if Ra's can move between bodies in the comics, but I suspect not seeing as Batman tends to stay away from the supernatural... Or am I wrong?

I don't know jack about Ra's in the comics. I'm talking strictly about "Batman Begins". So it seems that some people take that "immortal" quote a bit too seriously and jump to the conclusion that he is LITERALLY immortal. Either that or Ra's is in fact an immortal spirit in the books and they know this.

EvilNed
03-May-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah but Liam Neeson is also the character who goes after Metropolis. He turns into the new "baddie", so he has to be Ra's.

Cody
03-May-2007, 10:34 PM
I live under a rock apparently.

Terran
03-May-2007, 10:48 PM
In the movie yes Liam Neeson is Ra's Al Ghul ......

They made him a much more realistic character in the movie....the idea being in the movie that Ra's Al Ghul is immortal because the idea or symbol of him will live on forever no matter who is actually leading the league of shadows which turns out in the movie is Ducard (or the real Ra's Al Ghul)...much like how batman is immortal if he makes himself a symbol.....

in the comic books though Ra's Al Ghul is something else entirely......

He is literally immortal with the help of a certain "pit"

Ra's al Ghul has lived for several centuries thanks to his use of Lazarus Pits to which he has used countless times replenishing his aged, injured, or even dead body. As a side effect to numerous exposures to the pits his strength, speed, stamina, agility, and durability has been enhanced. However even without those enhancements his long life has attributed him vast wealth, knowledge, and power. This has allowed him to learn numerous fighting styles over the years making him rival even Batman in hand-to-hand combat and sword fighting. In addition, he is a brilliant tactician. Ra's possesses a genius level intellect with aptitudes in a wide variety of sciences and medicine, particularly in the field of alchemy. He is always accompanied by a servant known as Ubu, who is also an especially dangerous fighter. It should be noted that rather than being a single individual, Ubu is actually a title held by a line of replaceable servants. Along with Malhar Naik, he has been one of the League of Assassins' leaders.

Because of all this, Ra's is among Batman's most formidable foes . Not only can he physically and mentally challenge "the Detective" (the name by which Ra's always refers to Batman), but he has also deduced Batman's secret identity (in his first appearance, he realized that Batman would need to possess certain equipment, and research revealed that Bruce Wayne alone bought what Batman would need).

He has never possessed the ability to switch bodies....

In the movie though they never addressed the pit....or if Ducard (Ra's Al Ghul)actually had access to the Lazarus Pits