PDA

View Full Version : The Crazies

Craig
05-May-2007, 02:25 PM
Is The Crazies the same sort of film as 28 Days Later?

Eyebiter
05-May-2007, 03:54 PM
Similar subject matter for both films. Those infected with 'Trixie' go insane, but in a less visible fashion than the 28 Days 'Rage' plague victims.

slickwilly13
05-May-2007, 04:35 PM
Behavior is diffrent. Crazies can be described as someone pushed to the edge of insanity. Such as someone riding a broomstick while chasing you. People can hide and some what control it. Also, some infected were not as violent as others. They can effectively use weapons like anyone else.

28 Days/Weeks: infected more violent, adrenalin rushed, vomiting blood, rabid animal-like, red eyes.

I'd rather deal with the Crazies than someone infected with Rage.

axlish
05-May-2007, 05:28 PM
I'd rather deal with the Crazies than someone infected with Rage.

Physically, yes. Emotionally, no. I'd have an easier time extinguishing infected friends and family if they were "monsterized".

I think the main point that The Crazies is trying to convey is who is crazier, the infected or the people trying to contain the infection?

Philly_SWAT
05-May-2007, 09:43 PM
Hard to say it any better than this.

Danny
06-May-2007, 12:14 AM
i think theres another in this...i dunno if zombies are a sub genre of horror and these "crazy movies" are inspired by zombies, is this a sub-sub genre of horror?, anyway theres another one called rabid, or rabies i think.

Plus in the latest infected books newsletter david moodys "hater" ahs the film rights up for option now, so thats another one for the list, unles this is just the natural progression of the zombie movie?:rockbrow:

slickwilly13
06-May-2007, 03:09 AM
Rabid was an interesting mix of infected and vampire. I saw it 11 years ago and was my first taste of the plague scenario.

Danny
06-May-2007, 03:41 AM
first i saw was when i was little and stayed over at my grandparents, on the sci fi channel it was an old 70's/80's flick which involved guys in hazmat suits investigating a town were everyone had dropped dead were they stadn, though i think that may have been radiation not plague i cant remembe rit too well.

capncnut
06-May-2007, 06:05 AM
Rabid was an interesting mix of infected and vampire. I saw it 11 years ago and was my first taste of the plague scenario.
Yeah, that's a top Cronenberg movie.

fartpants
07-May-2007, 11:35 AM
the scene where they turn rabid on the subway is way cool....

capncnut
07-May-2007, 12:22 PM
For me, it's the part where they dump Marilyn Chambers in the back of the dustcart. Proper scary.

Dommm
08-May-2007, 09:53 AM

Yeah I love this movie also, especially when they get rid fo the person that may have been the cure for the infection.

BUTCHYPIE
08-May-2007, 08:22 PM
I HIGHLY recommend checking out The Screwfly Solution from season 2 of Showtime's Masters of Horror -- a really nicely done version of the "something makes people violently insane" Crazies-type zombie sub-genre. Directed by Joe Dante ("The Howling," "Gremlins").

Creepy short story as well. Full text here:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/sheldon/sheldon1.html

Anyone here seen it?

Danny
08-May-2007, 11:48 PM
if thats the one were males suddenly become violent to females because of a rage virus, then yeah i saw it, that was a good one.

"have your nuts cut off or risk killing any of your female loved ones"....

Bongholio
09-May-2007, 08:20 AM
I found it strange that the movie had a theme song
by like,...who was it,....Melissa Manchester?
lol

DEAD BEAT
09-May-2007, 04:47 PM
I UNDERSTAND THAT THEIR IS A REMAKE IN THE WORKS FOR THIS MOVIE,AND TO BE HONEST I THINK IT COULD POSSIBLY BE ONE IF NOT THE ONLY ONE OF ROMEROS FILMS THAT CAN BE GOOD AS A REMAKE.

MAINLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE ORIGINAL WAS SO POORLY MADE BUT YOU COULD STILL SEE THE GREAT STORY LINE BEHIND THE LOW BUDGET!

I WOULD SAY THAT WITH A BIGGER BUDGET AND UNKNOWN STARS IT COULD BE PRETTY GOOD!:rockbrow:

bassman
09-May-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't see how you think the original is poorly made. I think it's a top notch film.

EvilNed
09-May-2007, 05:59 PM
I thought the original was lacking and maybe a bit too low budget for it's own good at times. But a solid film, nonetheless. Richard Liberty and the psychology from Dawn! Badly paced, however. The ending is true Romero!

MinionZombie
09-May-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't see how you think the original is poorly made. I think it's a top notch film.
Hell yeah!

Despite being rough around the edges, and not his best work, GAR's "The Crazies" is still a solid flick, and I love it. It's got some great visuals and is well written, there's a palpable sense of beaurocratic frustration, and the visions of white-chemical-suited guys with guns and gas masks is really powerful.

I must watch it sometime soon, after I'm done with my Tarantino kick...

capncnut
09-May-2007, 08:27 PM
Despite being rough around the edges, and not his best work, GAR's "The Crazies" is still a solid flick, and I love it. It's got some great visuals and is well written, there's a palpable sense of beaurocratic frustration, and the visions of white-chemical-suited guys with guns and gas masks is really powerful.
When I first saw The Crazies, I really wasn't all that impressed. In later years though it has slowly crept up on me and now I rather fond of it. It's like some rare vintage wine that's not to everybody's palate. If you like the taste then you'll frequently indulge.

DEAD BEAT
09-May-2007, 08:57 PM

NO NEED TO BITE MY PRICK OFF...
I NEVER SAID I DIDNT LIKE IT,ALL IM SAYING IS THAT BECAUSE THE FINANCIAL STATE ROMERO WAS IN AT THE TIME THE FILM SORT OF MISSED ITS OVERALL SUCCESS EXCEPT FOR DIE HARD FANS OF COURSE!

BUT YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THEIR ARE THINGS ABOUT THE MOVIE YOU WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE DIFFERENT UNLIKE DAWN THAT U REALLY DONT OR WOULDNT NEED TO CHANGE A THING!;)

BTW: NICE BASS! IM A BASSIST MYSELF!:D

EvilNed
09-May-2007, 09:21 PM
You are highly annoying.

MinionZombie
09-May-2007, 09:44 PM
Dead Beat - for the love of the internet, stop SHOUTING, turn the CAPS off! :stunned::eek:

Capn - hell yeah, it's not to everyone's taste, and most likely is one to grow on you, well ... not me anyway, I loved it from the off, one of the things I dig most is Romero's editing, it's just fantastic.

DEAD BEAT
09-May-2007, 10:28 PM
You are highly annoying.

Evil your comments intrest me as much as flys hovering over dog shiiit!

BTW: AFTER YOUR DONE PULLING ON YOUR FACE PULL ON THIS!!!
:D

bassman
09-May-2007, 11:11 PM
NO NEED TO BITE MY PRICK OFF...
I NEVER SAID I DIDNT LIKE IT,ALL IM SAYING IS THAT BECAUSE THE FINANCIAL STATE ROMERO WAS IN AT THE TIME THE FILM SORT OF MISSED ITS OVERALL SUCCESS EXCEPT FOR DIE HARD FANS OF COURSE!

BUT YOU HAVE TO ADMIT THEIR ARE THINGS ABOUT THE MOVIE YOU WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE DIFFERENT UNLIKE DAWN THAT U REALLY DONT OR WOULDNT NEED TO CHANGE A THING!;)

BTW: NICE BASS! IM A BASSIST MYSELF!:D

I wasn't biting your head off, man. Just stating my opinion. Peace brother, peace.

Always nice to "meet" a fellow musician.:cool: That's not me in the picture if that was what you were saying. His name is Victor Wooten and if you haven't heard his stuff.....I HIGHLY suggest you check it out. The man is a bass god.

DEAD BEAT
09-May-2007, 11:46 PM
I wasn't biting your head off, man. Just stating my opinion. Peace brother, peace.

Always nice to "meet" a fellow musician.:cool: That's not me in the picture if that was what you were saying. His name is Victor Wooten and if you haven't heard his stuff.....I HIGHLY suggest you check it out. The man is a bass god.

Yeah dude no hard feelings i wasn't trying to start nothing just expressing myself,unlike Evil Ned there attacking me for no reason what a rude little bastard! So i had to defend myself!

:elol:

But thanks for the info ill check him out! :D

Cody
10-May-2007, 12:09 AM
ive yet to see the crazies.

bassman
10-May-2007, 02:30 AM
ive yet to see the crazies.

I was in the same boat up until about a month back when someone here mentioned that it would be on TV. I recorded and i'm very much glad that I did. It's a good film, man. I say it's worth a viewing as soon as the opportunity arrives.

I've heard some folks here say that it's easy to find on DVD but I've never been able to find it in my area. Without the use of internet stores, I mean...

Cody
10-May-2007, 02:48 AM
^^ it will most likely be a ebay purchase.

EvilNed
11-May-2007, 12:30 AM
Yeah dude no hard feelings i wasn't trying to start nothing just expressing myself,unlike Evil Ned there attacking me for no reason what a rude little bastard! So i had to defend myself!

YOURE RIGHT I WAS ATTACKING YOU FOR NO REASON. IM SORRY MY BAD.

MinionZombie
11-May-2007, 10:38 AM
Now, now ... let's all pass the bong around and chillllll. :)

No, not that bong, where would you put the stuff? :rolleyes:

Cody
11-May-2007, 01:45 PM
it takes imagination

bassman
11-May-2007, 01:59 PM
That video in your signature is hilarious, Cody. Seems familiar too...what is it from?

DVW5150
11-May-2007, 05:34 PM
first i saw was when i was little and stayed over at my grandparents, on the sci fi channel it was an old 70's/80's flick which involved guys in hazmat suits investigating a town were everyone had dropped dead were they stadn, though i think that may have been radiation not plague i cant remembe rit too well.

Reads like the beginning of "Andromeda Strain"...

DEAD BEAT
11-May-2007, 05:59 PM
YOURE RIGHT I WAS ATTACKING YOU FOR NO REASON. IM SORRY MY BAD.

No problemo!
:D

Bongholio
11-May-2007, 08:06 PM
both u 2 can stfu now
g'day
make a post think of an original topic
steals DB afro wig
should I photochop the fro onto my own bald avatar pate?
NEIL close this thread,b4 ms. jackson has at it......lol

ProfessorChaos
22-Oct-2009, 08:08 AM
i realize that this is an old thread (2 years since the last post), but i finally got around to watching the crazies this evening, and was very pleased. so pleased, in fact, that i'm going to re-watch it tomorrow night. lots of shootouts, flamethrowers, insane locals, and some great imagery. the bio-suited military troops running around having gunfights with locals was awesome. definitely glad i picked this one up.

not too sure how i'm gonna like the remake. probably very similar to dawn 04....probably too similar, yet at the same time too different from the original. so it's probably gonna be name-rape in the nicest sense of the word.

major jay
22-Oct-2009, 11:17 AM
I love it, and The Blue Underground dvd looks just awesome. I also have to agree with EvilNed on this.

maybe a bit too low budget for it's own good at times.

wayzim
22-Oct-2009, 12:42 PM
Reads like the beginning of "Andromeda Strain"...

Which was remade for TV not that long ago, with Benjamin Bratt as the lead scientist for the Wildfire team.
Boy did that version blow, with nonsense about parallel dimensions and nano-intelligence.

I still think the original Strain is one of the most realistic Science Fiction( or Science Thriller for the quibblers. ) films ever made.

Wayne Z

jded
22-Oct-2009, 02:47 PM
My first viewing of The Crazies was probably 6 years ago. My first impression was " I don't know about this thing." After it grew on me I now to this day consider it one of George's best if your talking screenplay, because it is rich in dialogue. The word wars between the characters are very well crafted.
i realize that this is an old thread (2 years since the last post), but i finally got around to watching the crazies this evening, and was very pleased. so pleased, in fact, that i'm going to re-watch it tomorrow night. lots of shootouts, flamethrowers, insane locals, and some great imagery. the bio-suited military troops running around having gunfights with locals was awesome. definitely glad i picked this one up.

not too sure how i'm gonna like the remake. probably very similar to dawn 04....probably too similar, yet at the same time too different from the original. so it's probably gonna be name-rape in the nicest sense of the word.

I love it, and The Blue Underground dvd looks just awesome. I also have to agree with EvilNed on this.
I love Blue Underground. Thank God for them! They bring some of the most obscure films into the mainstream video markets. Their logo and theme music credit before each film is even creepy good marketing.

Trin
22-Oct-2009, 02:58 PM
Which was remade for TV not that long ago, with Benjamin Bratt as the lead scientist for the Wildfire team.
Boy did that version blow, with nonsense about parallel dimensions and nano-intelligence.

I still think the original Strain is one of the most realistic Science Fiction( or Science Thriller for the quibblers. ) films ever made.

Wayne ZThat Andromeda Strain made for tv crapfest was about the dumbest thing ever. Why they took a perfect movie and decided to ghey-ify it is beyond me. The whole plot addition of the nano junk and alternative this and that was just painful. And I mean really, really painful.

The original stomps the mudhole out of the remake.

Bone Daddy
22-Oct-2009, 07:18 PM

The Blue Underground DVD is worth it just for the commentary with GAR and William Lustig (filmmaker and founder of BU)

An underrated GAR rough gem.

rongravy
28-Aug-2010, 05:53 AM
Rabid was an interesting mix of infected and vampire.
So was Lifeforce. Plus, they were aliens. 3 in 1.

I hate to bump but I didn't see a newer thread on this. Backstory first:
I put this original movie on my queue on Netflix. My kid lost the package for Adventureland so I had it for months and couldn't get anything else. I finally last week turned it in, by the way, that's how lazy a bastard I am.
Anyhoo, they finally put the movie on instant play last week or so, so I put it on and tried to watch it in bed. My net started crapping out so it got put on hold, then forgotten.
Tonight I remembered to finish it. I loved it. Very nicely done, especially for when it was. Great story. Has the old feel to it.
As good as it is, I think the remake definitely did it justice. A little diferent in places, but both are pretty kickass films. Two to add to my permanent collection.
And wow, Richard Liberty in this. It took a second but he is unmistakable. I wikied him and saw he was in Porky's 2, so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for that.
A+ movie. My kid would probably be bored with it. We'll see, though...