PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Sign could burn to the ground

Bongholio
09-May-2007, 03:23 PM
personally I would be tickled pink if the whole town goes up.
There goes our weirdly entertainment driven economy.
Bring on TEOTWAWKI lol
drill for keywords california fires
ye slovenly web-potatoes

fartpants
09-May-2007, 04:56 PM
who would make all the crap films if we lost Hollywood...

Tricky
09-May-2007, 05:21 PM
Does that mean no more kife remakes?say its so!:lol:

MinionZombie
09-May-2007, 05:33 PM
Does that mean no more kife remakes?say its so!:lol:
"kife"? :lol:

Despite the shiite side of Hollywood, good stuff still comes out of it...I bet that sign is insured up the wazoo though.

Tricky
09-May-2007, 05:35 PM
"kife"? :lol:

Despite the shiite side of Hollywood, good stuff still comes out of it...I bet that sign is insured up the wazoo though.

:lol: another of my words! "ere thats proper kife that!"

EvilNed
09-May-2007, 05:49 PM
If we lost Hollywood, we'd also loose alot of great films. A film made for entertainment isn't necessarily a bad film anymore than a film made for artistic reasons is a good one.

MinionZombie
09-May-2007, 05:54 PM
:lol: another of my words! "ere thats proper kife that!"
roflmonkies ... that's proper good that is. :cool:

Cody
10-May-2007, 01:18 AM
has anyone even tried to graffiti the hollywood sign? blow it up?....its not like they have mines around the letters

MissJacksonCA
10-May-2007, 02:31 AM
Home to such crap shows as Dawsons Creek and One Tree Hill. Responsible for many movies being made today. Yep that crap hole just north of me would become the new Hollywood and start making bad movies like their bad TV shows and celebrities would move there and drive up the price of the real estate and Starbucks would take out all the mom and pop joints left and before you know it? Celebrities are going to lose their homes to hurricanes instead of the fires in Malibu Canyon and the Hellywood Hills. Not that it would matter... their mega mansions would have been replaced with something newer and better the next year anyway. And who needs that new Ferrari when they're making Porche's.

That would be sweet if the sign burned down though... reminds me of that Bush song with Gavin Rossdales new band whos name is so hard to recall that I dont remember it...

LouCipherr
10-May-2007, 03:10 PM
That would be sweet if the sign burned down though... reminds me of that Bush song with Gavin Rossdales new band whos name is so hard to recall that I dont remember it...

Would that be his band "Institute" by any chance? :D

has anyone even tried to graffiti the hollywood sign? blow it up?....its not like they have mines around the letters

Remember "OLLYWOOD"? When Oliver North was on trial? :lol:

MinionZombie
10-May-2007, 06:06 PM
Perhaps they could rename it "Horrywurh" after Kim Jong Il's pronunciation of it in Team America? :D That's be legendary. :lol:

Tricky
10-May-2007, 06:20 PM
Perhaps they could rename it "Horrywurh" after Kim Jong Il's pronunciation of it in Team America? :D That's be legendary. :lol:

http://www.orlyowl.com/upload/files/o_rry.jpg

:lol:

MinionZombie
10-May-2007, 06:24 PM
http://www.orlyowl.com/upload/files/o_rry.jpg

*coughs up guts larfin'*

I don't care if the PC police would hate it, I think that's f*cking hilarious. :lol:

MissJacksonCA
10-May-2007, 07:34 PM
way to go man! and its the song bulletproof skin

Dawg
10-May-2007, 08:17 PM
If Hollywood burned down, we would all be watching the 1,000 plus films made a year in India probably, 'Bollywood'.

:dead: Dawg

Tricky
10-May-2007, 09:18 PM
Im all for russian cinema taking over from hollywood,their output is far better most of the time!:)

MinionZombie
10-May-2007, 09:29 PM
Im all for russian cinema taking over from hollywood,their output is far better most of the time!:)
*wrinkles nose* Welllllll....hmmm....

All cinemas across the world have good stuff going for them, but also there's a lot of tosswank across the globe, or there's films trumpetted as being oh so awesome, but they're actually a bit shoved up their own arse (like "Night Watch", visually excellent, but just a load of up-it's-arse scripting IMHO).

There's plenty of quality coming out of Hollywood, although it's greatly reduced in recent years...:(

Kaos
10-May-2007, 09:33 PM
EwwXRdtqhvg

Nuff Said :D

kortick
10-May-2007, 09:36 PM
this is bongs favorite thing

he has been hoping that sign burns down since this fire started

bong you should know they would let an orphanage full of kids
burn before they let that sign go up

Tricky
10-May-2007, 09:44 PM
*wrinkles nose* Welllllll....hmmm....

All cinemas across the world have good stuff going for them, but also there's a lot of tosswank across the globe, or there's films trumpetted as being oh so awesome, but they're actually a bit shoved up their own arse (like "Night Watch", visually excellent, but just a load of up-it's-arse scripting IMHO).

There's plenty of quality coming out of Hollywood, although it's greatly reduced in recent years...:(

This is what im talking about :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPLlW8c1iE
Oh,and british cinema takes a large dump on hollywood,especially on gritty realism! :cool:

Bongholio
10-May-2007, 10:44 PM
is it worth 12 years in jail taking down the us of a's fake Icons?
Ask the REAL genious Cottrell who currently is rotting
in the California penal system.
Even Hawking and those other heavy dudes couldn't say a word on that
guys behalf.
Some guy holds the promise of changing everything we know (freaky autistic dude could invent wormholes you never know)
like the work that Einstein copied off another theoritician
PUT HIM IN THE HOLE
http://www.laweekly.com/general/features/a-terrible-thing-to-waste/15782/?page=1
THEY'RE TRYING TO BUILD A PRISON
(for you and me to live in)

_liam_
11-May-2007, 02:50 AM
did you know...alice cooper paid for one of the letters in the hollywood sign to be redone...

some other bods pay for the rest, i forget who.

Danny
11-May-2007, 02:56 AM
Oh,and british cinema takes a large dump on hollywood,especially on gritty realism! :cool:

yeaaah, see i have to differ with you there, films over here may seem more realistic but there just shot that way look at human traffic, trainspotting, or somethign like that and people just aint like that, granted im thinking more about human traffic but still the point stands, real looking doesnt allways mean real, and in human traffic the scripts a big givaway that it aint.

Cody
11-May-2007, 05:07 AM
you would get 15 minutes of fame for burning the hollywood sign. speaking of fires the fires here in florida suck its smoky outside all the time

MinionZombie
11-May-2007, 10:30 AM
*gritty realism five - snap*

Not all British films are like Lock Stock or Human Traffic, those are the zanier Brit films. I think what you're trying to say, Tricky, is that even in a film like Shaun of the Dead there's a bit of grit thrown in - the scene with Shaun's mother dying, that really packs a punch. You'd never find an American zombie comedy with a scene filled with such genuine grief.

Also, look at "The War Zone" (was on Film Four recently), it isn't shot "gritty" per-se, it's just got a cold colour palette and a detracted and unobtrusive camera style - it's the story that's gritty and real and it packs a hell of a kick in the balls.

British films pack emotion and seriousness into absolutely anything possible (not all the time, but what I mean is that any Brit film is up for it, but they don't all use it), whereas the typical Hollywood film doesn't have that same depth and remains distinctly in movie world ... whereas British films are always much more grounded in reality, like a foot in reality and a foot in fiction.

Part of that feeling will also be down to the fact that it's films from the country we live in (rather than imports), so that adds a whole layer of realism for us. Whereas with American imports, most of us have never been there, or only on holiday, it's a foreign land and everything is new (despite the fact we've seen so much of American stuff in movies and TV and music)...

Basically, we recognise the little things in Brit films. We recognise the accents, we might even share the accents with the film itself. We recognise which side of the road they drive on, the cars, the products to buy, the look of the streets and the buildings...all those little things we recognise and have experienced first hand. That is part of the reason why Brit films are grittier and more realistic.

And just because real life doesn't look like Human Traffic, perhaps that's what life feels like if you're a pill-head weed junky (I wouldn't personally know). Gotta dig deeper, Brit films are often mutli-layered and tend to have more complex social politics in play.

Tricky
11-May-2007, 05:17 PM
Have you seen dead mans shoes?i watched it the other week and that is a really good typically gritty and realistic brit film,very real characters and dialogue!i'd recommend it to anyone,its quite shocking though.Shaun of the dead although semi comedy,still had that brit flick feel to it,as did 28 days later (i cannot funking wait to see 28 weeks,im hearing good reviews,even from critics who usually pan films like that)
The war zone,i saw that a few years ago & it made me feel sick,its a good film & as you say MZ,very gritty,but also downright disturbing,especially the scenes in the old pill box :eek:
Another thing with brit films is that they are still using very little CGI,if any!whether its down to the fact its expensive or what i dont know,but i prefer it that way :)

MinionZombie
11-May-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh hell yeah, Dead Man's Shoes is a great film. :cool:

Very good indeed.

Some Brits films use CGI - like Shaun of the Dead in a couple of parts (e.g. when Pete gets nailed in the skull or the shop girl gets a pole through her guttiwats :evil:)

There was a smidge in 28 Days I think, very little, I really liked that, it was just about doing sh*t practically ... and the DV grit was lovely. :cool:

*shudders* Ooooh ... the pill box ... :eek: