PDA

View Full Version : 28 Weeks Later.....

joeharley666
11-May-2007, 10:03 PM
saw it today....WOW>>>>pretty good, just as good as the original but on major STEROIDS!

This movie was furious from start to finish and just never let up. My only complaint??? just 90 minutes. I wanted more!

Pulse punding flick. I will see it again before it leaves the theater.

empirefilm
12-May-2007, 02:00 AM
agreed! every bit as good as the original. I was afraid it would not retain the same flavor as the original. It remained true to the first film in every way. I hope they release an extended version.

Excessium
12-May-2007, 04:33 AM
Wow, this movie blew me away. I left the theater is slight state of shock. It hits hard, fast, and is relentless. I will see it again so I can properly digest the film. A lot of the reviews i'm reading say 28wl succeeds as it's own movie and it does. I am truly amazed with this movie. Any zombie/infection movie made in the past 20 years can't really touch the 28 days/weeks later films imo. They stand up there the Night/Dawn/Day. In many ways, surpassing them due to the speed of the infection and the chaos thereafter.
This movie is a need to see.

Maitreya
12-May-2007, 09:43 AM
I'd personally disagree that it was as good as the original. The original is damn near untouchable when it comes to the storyline, acting, and most of all caring about the characters.

I liked 28 weeks, but I have to say that it wasn't as good, for example, when Doyle was torched and Scarlet was beaten to death can you honestly say your reaction was anything more than "that sucks".

Compare that to when Frank dies. Tell me that the reaction was more powerful than in 28 Days and I'll agree that this one was just as good.

It was quite a good film though, I'll give it that.

Cykotic
12-May-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm gonna be going to see this on Wednesday (Thank Orange for the 2 for 1 deal!) but if I get the same reaction as I did when I saw 28 Days Later (I neary had a heart-attack and left the building, shaking), I'll be in heaven!!

Rolfus
12-May-2007, 10:17 AM
that was one hell of an awesome movie although a few things got on my nerves namley the slow motion in some of the action scenes.

There was some awesome gore :cool:. When i first heard robert carlye was going to be in it i wasn't sure on how he would go but hell yeah he was good but then again anyone who can play an out of work steel worker male striper to hitler must be good.

Danny
12-May-2007, 10:20 AM
this is like the binary opposite of the new day remake , the only reason im now amped to see this is the directors an award winner, i was expecting some uwe boll or the guy who did saw type hack director doingit, but yknow it aint so, a good move, cant wait to see it.

OddDNA
12-May-2007, 08:17 PM
I dont think it is anything like the 1st one...which was a good movie..

The action sequences were had to understand for the most part...

They changed some of the rules on how the infected act and such...

It played more like just a bunch of stiched together action sequeces than an actual plot driven movie...

I would go into more depth but I dont know how to make spoilers boxes and I dont want to ruin it for those who will enjoy it.

Would I see it again in the theatre...no.
Would I recomend it to anyone on this site...yes.

For me it falls just shy of the Dawn remake...

Cody
12-May-2007, 10:43 PM
my mouth id watering i have to see this movie

Excessium
13-May-2007, 04:08 AM
I dont think it is anything like the 1st one...which was a good movie..

The action sequences were had to understand for the most part...

They changed some of the rules on how the infected act and such...

It played more like just a bunch of stiched together action sequeces than an actual plot driven movie...

I would go into more depth but I dont know how to make spoilers boxes and I dont want to ruin it for those who will enjoy it.

Would I see it again in the theatre...no.
Would I recomend it to anyone on this site...yes.

IMO this movie kicks dawn in the nuts. Take into consideration the acting, soundtract, the cinamatography, the feel of the movie. Aside from this reply, I will never mention Dawn remake in the same sentence with 28 weeks.
I really don't get what was so hard to "get" about the action sequences? The camera work, lighting, what? I thought the action in the movie couldn't have been done any better.

A bunch of action sequences stiched together?

That was Dawn remake. I agree I did see a few plot holes in 28 weeks later, but they didn't really bother me since when I was watching the movie, I felt like I wasn't watching a sequel. IMO every scene in this movie pushed the plot forward and it did have an easy to follow plot.

The only difference between the infected in the 2 movies was- gawd damn it how do i add spoiler tags!?

Well there you go, 2 completly different opinions.
But saying it came shy of dawn is an insult to this movie.
This is the best sequel since Aliens. Nuff said.

Khardis
13-May-2007, 04:41 AM
saw it today....WOW>>>>pretty good, just as good as the original but on major STEROIDS!

This movie was furious from start to finish and just never let up. My only complaint??? just 90 minutes. I wanted more!

Pulse punding flick. I will see it again before it leaves the theater.

I actually enjoyed it MORE than the original. It was just as good, but without the huge slow down like they had at the end with the military stuff in Days. overall I was VERY pleased with this and thought it was the film Days SHOULD have been. :D

AcesandEights
13-May-2007, 05:02 AM
I just saw it and had to come online and see what everyone thought...

All I can say is you're all letting me down, I thought you'd be hating on it just because it was big budget and not some obscure release or you'd find some other reason to be the first kid on the block to not like it. You know, taking the contrarian route. Glad to see some of you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

Awesome, awesome time. I thought it was a great ride.

DrSiN
13-May-2007, 05:08 AM
...SPOILERS ...

I'll go against the grain and say it was mearly ok. I found plenty of flaws. The basic idea was solid but it was hurt in the execution of the script. It’s a shame since I think the rest of the movie was very solid. I’ll tell you this though, I’m glad I can survive a chemical warfare attack by getting in my car and shutting the vents.

I wish they had learned from Land of the Dead that “boss zombies” suck and drag everything down. Part of what makes a zombie (or infected in this case) creepy is that they are never ending automatons. Once you give them a “personality” they lose their creepiness. Why not just have Dad be the catalyst and restarts everything. Have the female doctor realize they lost patient 0 and make for the kids in hope they carry the same gene, just in front of the wave of infection. Same end result but one is sucky and contrived, one is not.

Overall I’d say it’s worth the price of admission, but could have been much better. But hey, after sitting through Day of the Dead 2 : Contagion this is cinema gold.

Khardis
13-May-2007, 05:13 AM
...SPOILERS ...
Original quote

That car scene ruined it for you and the infected blood shooting zombie like lunatics didn't? C'mon... its a movie you have to allow for some things.

Cody
13-May-2007, 05:50 AM
^^^ Gah Dont Ruin It!!!

Khardis
13-May-2007, 06:35 AM
^^^ Gah Dont Ruin It!!!

Dont ruin what? That there is infected blood spitting zombie like loons or a car scene?

OddDNA
13-May-2007, 06:41 AM
BUT....

you have to set the rules for how far you are going to stretch reality in the beginning, make the rules and stick to them.

If you are trying to make a realistic movie (except the infected part) than stick to the realistic rules...

When I was "The Predator" I love it...it is totally unrealistic...but they set the characters up as "super human" from the beginning...From the 1st scene they are showing Arnold throwing people over cars, blowing up buildings shooting a dozen people without as much as a flesh wound...but they let you know "this is going to be a fun movie, turn your brain off"

Weeks on the other hand tries to set itself up as a more serious movie and some of the parts are just so nonsensical I felt embarassed for the actors...

Since I dont know how to do the spoilers box I will use subtle clues...skip the next line if you dont want to be spoiled..

XXXXXXXXXXhelixcopterxscenexand the car scene......laughable.
XXXXXXXXXxalsoxxxxxwhyxxxxxxxxxhavexxxxaxxxsaferoo m/bunkerxxxxxxxxwhosexxxxxdoorsxxxx
XXXXxxxXXXopenxxxxxxxxxxxxSoxxxxxxxxxeasilyxxxxxto xxxxallowxxxthexxxxinfectedxxxxxgetxxx
xxXXXXXtoxxxxxxxxxxthosexxxxxxxyouxxxxarexxxxprote ctingxxxxxx

And why was this main zombie popping up all the time for? nonsense.

They could have done so much more with it.

And what I didnt like about the action sequences...they were dark and the camera chopped and cut around...Am I alone that had a hard time following the 1st action sequence?

I know I seem like I am coming down hard on this movie...I am not...Id rather have this movie than most of the junk that I wont go see period...I just want to criticize to point out what I think are the flaws for discussions sake.

Like I said before if you are reading this...Go see the movie you will like it.

deadwrtr
13-May-2007, 12:17 PM
The first 10 minutes were intense. On par with some of the most pulse pounding thrills I have ever experienced. Yes, there were the obligatory obvious "jump!" scenes, but considering the pace, these were forgivable.

Fantastic movie!

OddDNA
13-May-2007, 05:43 PM
The first 10 minutes were intense. On par with some of the most pulse pounding thrills I have ever experienced. Yes, there were the obligatory obvious "jump!" scenes, but considering the pace, these were forgivable.

Fantastic movie!

I would have thought it was exciting too if I knew what was going on...
given the lighting...
the camera angles...
How quickly they cut from shot to shot...

I dont think many people would be able to acurately what specifically happened in that scene.

Exatreides
13-May-2007, 07:43 PM
I enjoyed it. Yes some of it was far fetched

The scene in the basement really bothered me. I'm in the Army and the lock the front door but leave the fire escape unguard was dumb as crap.

I also like how this was the first movie with ACU's thats the Armys new digital cammo. The General had the American flag patch on his right shoulder as he should, but the Sniper who was a main character lacked the patch. For a Sargent in Delta force to lack such a basic thing as a patch, just bothered me.

Maybe it was just a oversite in the filming, or maybe it got torn off sometime in the film (They are velcro and can snag onto the things sometime)

I agree that the camera was a little shaky during the first action sequence. However I feel that as the film progressed this improved

Minus the scene in the basement. Which was dificult to fallow, but I assume thats because of the lack of lighting and general chaos.

What happend to the blockade on the 2 1/2 ton truck, and thos troops? Were they simply overrun?

I did enjoy the militarys response however.

Oh and its ["spoiler"]

OddDNA
13-May-2007, 10:37 PM
I enjoyed it. Yes some of it was far fetched

The scene in the basement really bothered me. I'm in the Army and the lock the front door but leave the fire escape unguard was dumb as crap.

I also like how this was the first movie with ACU's thats the Armys new digital cammo. The General had the American flag patch on his right shoulder as he should, but the Sniper who was a main character lacked the patch. For a Sargent in Delta force to lack such a basic thing as a patch, just bothered me.

Maybe it was just a oversite in the filming, or maybe it got torn off sometime in the film (They are velcro and can snag onto the things sometime)

I agree that the camera was a little shaky during the first action sequence. However I feel that as the film progressed this improved

Minus the scene in the basement. Which was dificult to fallow, but I assume thats because of the lack of lighting and general chaos.

What happend to the blockade on the 2 1/2 ton truck, and thos troops? Were they simply overrun?

I did enjoy the militarys response however.

Oh and its ["spoiler"]

["spoiler"]
["test"]
["spoiler"]

what am I missing?

Rolfus
14-May-2007, 01:01 AM
take the " out of the code and it works

i found the fact that the infected broke down the locked fire door a bit much too they are very hard to break, but the carpark scene was so worth it that i could suspend disbalief easly.

I think all the soldiers evacuated to strong points and let the situation calm down and after the bombardment they went out and cleanded up in bio suits while they gased the area.

i found the camera work was easy to follow and it just showed really well how chaotic it would have been if you were there i mean you would have no idea what was going at all.

capncnut
14-May-2007, 01:06 AM
Seriously mods, mergage! There's 28 Weeks Later reviews everywhere!!! :eek:

Exatreides
14-May-2007, 01:58 AM
sorry at the end of the post ["/spoiler]

Mutineer
14-May-2007, 02:59 AM
Just testing out the spoiler tags :D

DrSiN
14-May-2007, 04:00 AM
That car scene ruined it for you and the infected blood shooting zombie like lunatics didn't? C'mon... its a movie you have to allow for some things.

If the car scene was the only weak point of the script then that would be fine. However this script was lazy. It was full of holes and poorly setup sequences. 28 Weeks was still a ok movie. I had fun watching it! But that's more a testament to the actors and director since the script was shameful.

Given we are talking zombie movies I go in by default thinking "beggers can't be choosers", but the writer clearly phoned this in which given a great premise, is a crime.

Khardis
14-May-2007, 04:03 AM
If the car scene was the only weak point of the script then that would be fine. However this script was lazy. It was full of holes and poorly setup sequences. 28 Weeks was still a ok movie. I had fun watching it! But that's more a testament to the actors and director since the script was shameful.

Given we are talking zombie movies I go in by default thinking "beggers can't be choosers", but the writer clearly phoned this in which given a great premise, is a crime.

I disagree. I let go of certain things when watching a movie where the living dead or whatever rise and feed on the living. 100% Flawless science for example. I just have to laugh at comments like "oh man, it was a bad movie because I am an investment banker, and we would NEVER use a TU-645/A form to do that kind of an investment..." Meanwhile they have no problem with zombies that dont freeze in the winter, or zombies in general. I mean.. c'mon.

OddDNA
14-May-2007, 05:10 AM
I disagree. I let go of certain things when watching a movie where the living dead or whatever rise and feed on the living. 100% Flawless science for example. I just have to laugh at comments like "oh man, it was a bad movie because I am an investment banker, and we would NEVER use a TU-645/A form to do that kind of an investment..." Meanwhile they have no problem with zombies that dont freeze in the winter, or zombies in general. I mean.. c'mon.

Ill say it again....consistancy is more important than realistic.

You cant have far fetch one minute and realistic the next.

It removes the watcher from the suspension of disbelief.

SymphonicX
14-May-2007, 01:12 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILER

it just played the whole thing for shocks, there was hardly any real story going on and no character development also - it just played out like an extreme version of Friday the 13th where everyone gets killed sequentially and then it just ended, the pace was **** and the editing was choppy and uninspired. It took a good format and idea and turned it into an extreme death fest that only really loosely tied in with 28 Days. Some of the scenes were good, the opening 40 minutes were fantastic but after that it lost steam and turned into a gorefest without any real emotional grounding via the characters...

that girl's eyes though....crazy

Trencher
14-May-2007, 04:14 PM

That is a pretty good recomandation.

dirtydwarf
14-May-2007, 06:51 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't like how the Father Infected showed up at the end, standing on the platform waiting for them like Clint F'in Eastwood....I mean c'mon....Otherwise I loved it from start to finish...not as much as I liked the first one, but hopefully less than I will like the 3rd :D

rightwing401
15-May-2007, 05:12 AM
Here's my review of 28 weeks later...

Sh*t Sandwich.

slickwilly13
15-May-2007, 08:28 PM
I saw the midnight showing last Saturday. In all honesty, I liked it better than the 1st movie. More gruesome and bloodier *not bloody enough for my taste*. But I am surprised they showed what they showed for a R rated movie, because I felt I was watching an unrated version. There will probably be a 3rd movie down the road. If you haven't seen it, yet, then check it out. Hopefully, there will be an unrated version for dvd.

Neil
15-May-2007, 09:03 PM
Just seen the film...

The first part of the film is very good!

The middle of film is generally good, but it seems a shame the 'world' isn't better explained. Let's have some meat on the bones of the world we're exploring here!

It then falls down towards the end due to the contrived way the plot plays out.

And yes, the biggest flaws are typical Hollywood scripting:-
- The kids just seem to go out of the base on whim, risking life and limb for a photo...
- The baddy seeming supernaturally knowing what to do and where to do.
- The basement infection scene was too impersonal. This could have been an iconic moment of the film, but instead due to the shakey cam and jumpy editing, there was no clear sequence/path to the spread. A couple of static camera shots with the infected coming into the crowd, following the scene/shot for 20-30 seconds as the attacked then were infected and attacked and so on would have been far better IMHO.
- Why shove large groups of people togethor so they can easily infect each other? Surely small groups in secure blocks would be better?
- The infected all seeming to know where in London to go to get to our heroes. London is a pretty big place!
- The helicopter scene... Hmmm... Hollywood!

It's a shame that poor scripting lets down what could have been an excellent film.

Personal opinion - Enjoyable but could have been far better.

Now, let's see '28 Months Later' please!

ngm231
15-May-2007, 10:12 PM
i was dissapointed to say the least. the whole dad following the kid thing and the whole, hey ive got two different colored eyes so im immune to the infections effects.
it was alright but i would say its more of a renter.

EDIT - Spoilers 'hidden' by webmaster

rightwing401
16-May-2007, 04:19 PM
Now that I've calm down enough, I'll say exactly what it was that I didn't like about this movie. Spoilers, so don't read unless you've either seen the movie or don't care.

Script problems:

1. We all know that when the military get a person whose a potential carrier for a virus that has already killed (millions?), they place them in a highly populated area with no security keeping them from the outside world other than a single door and no armed guards.

2. In a high risk time of potential outbreak for the deadliest virus ever known to man, the military will give a janitor an access card that will get them into a roughly leve five quaranten zone. (Stupidest part of the whole movie. Had the father jumped a military officer and took his clearance card, I would have found that far more believable.)

3. If an infection does break out, the military will shoehorn all the civilians into a bunker area without any armed guards for their protection, and will heavily barricade the front doors. But in all this preparation, they'll conveniently overlook the easily accessable back door. (When that happened, I did say very loudly, 'You've got to be f****** kidding me.')

4. Ending. You can tell by the first twenty minutes when the kids get screened just what's going to happen. The ending was so predictable that I litterally had to force myself to sit through the rest of the movie.

5. The infected. They're running around in broad daylight, even though it was overstressed in the first movie that they are extremely sensetive to sunlight and only move around after dark. (I guess the virus evloved.)

Camera Work

I was getting a headache from the insessant shaking of the camera in low level lighting. I understand what the director was shooting for, but come on, I would like to be able to see what's going on every once and a while.

Did any of the film clips last longer than ten seconds? I swear, things kept cutting so fast that it was making my head spin.

Acting

Didn't care for any of the characters, with the exception of the father in the beginning when he ran out on the mom. Seriously, I didn't feel any emotion at all when the father was explaining to the kids what happened to their mother.

While there were some good parts, such as the desolate London, there just wasn't enough for me to really enjoy. My final review, not nearly as well done, emtional, or as captivating as the first film.

TerryAlexanderF
17-May-2007, 06:35 AM
Picky picky picky aren't we?

I enjoyed this film thoroughly. I honestly think the bar for lot of you is set to high. I mean there wasn't a lot to dislike about the film, it did have it's flaws, but every movie does.

I enjoyed it, it was a good movie, can't think of anything better recently, not even Grindhouse.

:) Very pleased.

Neil
17-May-2007, 07:31 AM
Picky picky picky aren't we?

I enjoyed this film thoroughly. I honestly think the bar for lot of you is set to high. I mean there wasn't a lot to dislike about the film, it did have it's flaws, but every movie does.

I enjoyed it, it was a good movie, can't think of anything better recently, not even Grindhouse.

:) Very pleased.

I think the point is it's a bit of a lost opportunity that a 'sensible script pill' could have helped with!

I enjoyed the film, but the script could have easily raised this film to a classic!

TerryAlexanderF
17-May-2007, 01:54 PM
I think that this series will eventually go down as one of the greater series of movies in Horror. Not now, it has to soak in, but eventually, as long as this next new (or few) movies doesn't bust, then I think it will.

Neil
17-May-2007, 02:02 PM
I think that this series will eventually go down as one of the greater series of movies in Horror. Not now, it has to soak in, but eventually, as long as this next new (or few) movies doesn't bust, then I think it will.

Not really much competition is there :)

DrSiN
17-May-2007, 02:48 PM

If it does, it would be on the strengths of the first movie alone. I think Neil nailed it right on the head. This movie could have been a classic. It had a great overall story line, decent acting, cool look but a failed script. What's annoying about it is all of the script problems could have easily been fixed.

But what was served up was pretty much average. That's not to say that average is bad. I enjoyed 28 weeks, but I don't have the need to see it again.

DVW5150
18-May-2007, 07:12 PM
Here's my review of 28 weeks later...

Sh*t Sandwich.
...having a bad day.
Why would you sit through it then? No disrespect intended.I never give a film a s*it unless it grabs within the first 10 to 15 minutes.
Most theaters you can get your money back, show your stub.
"Looks like a huge sh!t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite."
"Sir ? Does this mean Ann Margaret is not coming?"Of course FMJ...
Or a reference to Spinal Tap:"Instead of 'Shark Sandwich' call the record , 'Sh!t sandwich'...

I love cinema, I have a great appreciation for the work ethic that goes into it.
This work is a major contribution to the 'standing' tradition that GAR started.

I would really like to find out if George Romero has seen it, and his opinion on it.
Rightwing, if GAR loved this film, would that change your mind?
There is alot to experience in "28 Weeks Later", in this short-attention-span addled world, 28 weeks totally makes the horror just that...
An experience.

The Military has flaws.It said at the beggining it was a US army op under NATO: means Not Able To Organize. I should know, I know what FUBAR is first hand.The film showed a small flaw blossom into a huge 'sandwich' that all the characters had to take a bite of.That door the infected burst through was locked they busted through it.The LT said the had no contingency plan for children.

The only thing that was abit unreal was the fact that the brother and sister kept crossing paths with their father.That was the only bump I can recall .
I actually was wondering near the end, man how much more of this sensory assault can I take?

I love GARs films since a wee lad, and by God this film (28 Weeks) does everything but be a 'shiette' sammitch.

Everyone is entitled to a fair voice here at HPotD, thats the great thing about this place.Respect intended.:skull:

The film gathers around you, if you are not up to it, it'll either be too much, or make you un-nerved.

I left the theater and walked to my vehicle, noticed I still had '28' minutes left on the parking meter.

No sh!t.
George A. Romero does not seem like the jealous type of younger film-makers.Sh!t, (I said b4) I bet Danny Boyle is very much a fan of GAR.
Its all cool and I sincerely hope we all continue to enjoy giving our insights about horror in the cinema.
Again, respect intended.:cool:

I would have thought it was exciting too if I knew what was going on...
given the lighting...
the camera angles...
How quickly they cut from shot to shot...

I dont think many people would be able to acurately what specifically happened in that scene.

I think thats is intentional, a mark of Mr Boyles work.The confusion can be visceral.

Rottedfreak
18-May-2007, 07:55 PM
Does every frickin zombie movie have to be set in London? Hello! several cities north of it!

rightwing401
19-May-2007, 05:36 PM
To each their own DVW. If you enjoyed 28 weeks, more power to you. I on the other hand did not, for all the said reasons in previous post.
And the sh*t sandwich comment was taken from Spinal Tap.
And why did I sit through the whole thing even though I didn't like it- I drove across town to the theater, paid good money to see the film, and was not about to go home without getting my money's worth.

DVW5150
19-May-2007, 05:50 PM
To each their own DVW. If you enjoyed 28 weeks, more power to you. I on the other hand did not, for all the said reasons in previous post.
And the sh*t sandwich comment was taken from Spinal Tap.
And why did I sit through the whole thing even though I didn't like it- I drove across town to the theater, paid good money to see the film, and was not about to go home without getting my money's worth.

Rock n roll... Cool , I am hoping that GARs "Diary of the Dead" doesnt end up , "Diarrhea of the Dead"...I love George Romeros films,l I hold high hopes like others here, that wont be the case.

"Why dont you just make 10 the loudest?"
"These go to 11."

MontagMOI
19-May-2007, 06:34 PM
I thought it was great fun (I'm sure Zack Snyder has enough ammo for Army Of The Dead now...:p ). I agree that it has it's flaws but nowhere near as many as 28 Days and is nowhere near as pretentious. Danny Boyle is already quoted as saying that he plans a third film in the trilogy.

Does every frickin zombie movie have to be set in London? Hello! several cities north of it!

Why not try The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue? It's a great 70s zombie film and is (supposedly) set in Manchester. Part of it was actually filmed in the lake district.

capncnut
20-May-2007, 02:31 AM
Rock n roll... Cool , I am hoping that GARs "Diary of the Dead" doesnt end up , "Diarrhea of the Dead"...I love George Romeros films,l I hold high hopes like others here, that wont be the case.
I don't know why but for some reason I've got a good feeling about it. Just as long as folks don't view it as a direct prequel to the Dead series.

The lack of a trailer is a tad worrying though. :confused:

Danny
20-May-2007, 08:48 PM
im kinda leaning the opposite way, dont get me wrong i actually like land almost a bit more than day but from the moment i saw set picks that had a guy with a bigass generic fps style machine gun i thought wed be getting more of the same and not something new.:|