PDA

View Full Version : A gun question ( sniper rifle )

benjamin03
16-May-2007, 11:18 AM
I've been pondering about this for quite a while and i hoped somebody who knows alot about this stuff could give me a decent answer. I've seen a lot of discussions abotu guns and zombies on this forum and the people discussing those things seemed to have alot of knowledge on guns so i hope you guys can help me with thsi question too. thank you for reading this anyway

The question : Why do USMC scout/snipers ( STA ) use the M40A1 rifle , a bolt action sniper rifle ? why is a BOLT action ( and specifically that one ) sniper rifle better then a semi-automatic rifle ? Why not use a semi auto rifle ? why that bolt rifle ? better aim ? can you shoot further ? why the M40A1 ????

thanks

ben

dirtydwarf
16-May-2007, 12:56 PM
The M40A1 sniper rifle is based on the Remington model 700. It is a heavy barrel, bolt action, magazine fed 7.62mm rifle that is optimized for accuracy with Match Grade ammunition. The rifle is equipped with a special 10 power Unertl sniper scope. With scope, the rifle weighs approximately 14.5 pounds. It is equipped with a built-in five round magazine. This weapon is hand-made by specially trained and qualified armorers at Quantico, Virginia. The unique characteristics of the M40A1 Sniper Rifle are: commercial competition-grade heavy barrel, McMillan fiberglass stock and butt pad, modified Winchester Model 70 floorplate and trigger guard, and modified and lightened trigger. In addition, each stock is epoxy bedded for accuracy and all weapons must shoot less than one minute of angle (MOA). The M40A1 was put into service in the 1970s to meet the need of a long range sniper rifle. Each rifle is hand built by specially trained and qualified personnel at the Marine Corps Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) at Quantico, Virginia.
Unit Replacement Cost: $2,105 (OUCH!!)

and from the all powerful wiki:

Bolt action firearms have earned a reputation for being more powerful and accurate than any semi automatic rifle. For this reason, they are still the choice of many target shooters and snipers. This is true because of the way that bolt action rifles close the chamber. When a bullet fires inside the chamber, the force from the explosion is completely directed at propelling the bullet down the barrel (In an autoloader, part of the energy is used to cycle the action). Also, a bolt action's only moving parts when firing are the pin and spring. Since it has fewer moving parts, it has less of a chance of being thrown off target and less of a chance to jam. Finally, since the spent cartridge has to be manually removed instead of automatically ejected, it helps a sniper remain better hidden, since not only is the cartridge not flung into the air and to the ground, possibly giving away the sniper's position, but the cartridge can be removed when most prudent, allowing the sniper to remain still until reloading is tactically feasible.

Eyebiter
16-May-2007, 01:58 PM
The Army used to have a semi auto sniper rifle called the M21, essentially a hand built rifle based on the M-14. However it wasn't as accurate as a bolt action rifle. Also the 7.62x51mm (.308 Winchester) cartridge starts to falter at 800 meters.

It was replaced with the bolt action M24 rifle (a customized long action Remington 700 rifle). While the initial cartridge was the same, the idea was the barrel could be changed out to a larger magnum cartridge in the future.

However this was controversial among some users. They say in an urban environment like Iraq a semi auto rifle is more useful than a bolt action. Others note the number of custom features on the rifle tend to snag on equipment, and are better suited for the range than for field use.

The intended replacement is a customized version of the AR-10 rifle made by Knights Armament called the XM110.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM110_SASS

-- ------------------------------------------------------------
(On a side note it's funny how things come full circle in firearms development.

Back in 1959 the Fairchild Aircraft company developed prototype versions of the AR-10 rifle in .308 Winchester. However due to problems with the early series rifles the US military decided to adopt the M14 instead.

After experiences in Vietnam the military wanted a new lightweight rifle design. The AR-10 was scaled down to use the .223 Remington (5.56x45mm) cartridge and the AR15 / M16 family of firearms was developed.

After 50 years now the original AR-10 in .308 Winchester has finally found it's niche among the US military. Talk about a design ahead of it's time.

DVW5150
16-May-2007, 03:04 PM
The Army used to have a semi auto sniper rifle called the M21, essentially a hand built rifle based on the M-14. However it wasn't as accurate as a bolt action rifle. Also the 7.62x51mm (.308 Winchester) cartridge starts to falter at 800 meters.

It was replaced with the bolt action M24 rifle (a customized long action Remington 700 rifle). While the initial cartridge was the same, the idea was the barrel could be changed out to a larger magnum cartridge in the future.

However this was controversial among some users. They say in an urban environment like Iraq a semi auto rifle is more useful than a bolt action. Others note the number of custom features on the rifle tend to snag on equipment, and are better suited for the range than for field use.

The intended replacement is a customized version of the AR-10 rifle made by Knights Armament called the XM110.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM110_SASS

--------------------------------------------------------------
(On a side note it's funny how things come full circle in firearms development.

Back in 1959 the Fairchild Aircraft company developed prototype versions of the AR-10 rifle in .308 Winchester. However due to problems with the early series rifles the US military decided to adopt the M14 instead.

After experiences in Vietnam the military wanted a new lightweight rifle design. The AR-10 was scaled down to use the .223 Remington (5.56x45mm) cartridge and the AR15 / M16 family of firearms was developed.

After 50 years now the original AR-10 in .308 Winchester has finally found it's niche among the US military. Talk about a design ahead of it's time.

I love the .308...
Close quarters, aside from physical fighting, a sawn-off 410 shotgun will take a zed to two pieces.
A Louisville Slugger w/ 9 inch double-point nails driven through the top is a goody too.

Speaking of the m16, seldom is stated that during the battle of Ia Drang valley Vietnam 1965, that m16s were exploding in our soldiers faces.

Thanks for reading.Okay cheer up!:skull:

Cody
16-May-2007, 04:08 PM
ben havent seen you in awhile, welcome back

Yojimbo
02-Aug-2007, 07:47 PM
I love the .308...
Close quarters, aside from physical fighting, a sawn-off 410 shotgun will take a zed to two pieces.
A Louisville Slugger w/ 9 inch double-point nails driven through the top is a goody too.
Speaking of the m16, seldom is stated that during the battle of Ia Drang valley Vietnam 1965, that m16s were exploding in our soldiers faces. I know this, because my father was one of the Air Cav/UH-1d pilots that flew in & out of Ia Drang.He was told not to speak of this...That was one of the only things he ever told me about that 'place'.
He came home in '66, I might add returned to Vietnam in '67, came home again in early '68, was never the same.
He died November 11th, 1982 the day the Vietnam Memorial was dedicated.
Enough.
Thanks for reading.Okay cheer up!:skull:

Sorry about your father. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all veterans of the armed forces, and consider them all heroes. (My grandfather served in WWII in MIS as part of the 442nd RCT) Unfortunately the political crap that happened in the 1970's caused a lot of the Vietnam veterans to be treated poorly by many. I hope your father was properly acknowledged and recognized in his time. On principal and as a matter of respect, I salute him and offer my condolences to you for your loss!

After reviewing this thread , I am amazed by the very specific techinical knowledge that the dead fans have about firearms. I used to think that I knew a lot, but you guys make me realize that I know a lot less that I thought.

Tricky
03-Aug-2007, 05:38 PM
From what ive heard these are the weapon of choice for twanging those taliban types off mountain sides! .50 cal :eek:

http://home.swipnet.se/longrange/Dc5.jpg