PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the BBC Docu - Scientology and Me

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2007, 08:43 PM
Great documentary. I was entertained and enlightened into this look at Scientology by the BBC. After watching Tommy Davies, go on the attack against other filmmakers, and showing up in the middle of an interview to expose one filmmakers dirty laundry to the world I was quite shock at how unprofessional that organization really is, and how bad the actions they took made them look.

I am not going to jump on the band wagon and say they are a CULT or not a CULT... I don't really care, but I do find their tactics for trying to expose their side of things scary and malicious, and with having said that and watched this documentary I have zero respect for any organization or group whom does the things put on display in this documentary.

I felt the bit could have expanded things a little more, it felt a tad rushed. However, I don't blame John Sweeney for losing it considering how they had him followed, and investigated, and to be honest that pretty much make them an independent CIA organization which is extremely scary.

After having watched this I can say that I would love to see more documentaries on this topic.

Top Notch stuff many Kudo's to the BBC for this piece.

Tricky
20-May-2007, 08:55 PM
You know im extremely tempted to provoke scientology after that programme,just so i can watch them waste their time harassing me :lol: they are an absolute bunch of creeps & nutjobs,and if on the off chance i ever got famous i would not mix with the "stars" who are in there,such as cruise & co,they would get the short shrift from me even if it knacked my career up!

Danny
20-May-2007, 09:03 PM
y'know i was gonna get my non religous ass in on this and say "yeah there a cult", but what religion isnt?

MinionZombie
20-May-2007, 09:19 PM
Damn I must download this, I was meaning to watch it, but went and missed it, probably because I was watching one of the over-repeated episodes of Top Gear on Sky ch111. :D

But yeah, Scientology ... *shudders* ... no thanks, what a bunch of dodgy weirdos...and I thought Muslims were pissed at being criticised! :stunned:

Of course, Muslims actually have a religion to bleater on about (yep, I'm athiest alright :sneaky:) ... Scientology pray to the money they siphon off their celebrity clients...tossers.

axlish
20-May-2007, 09:50 PM
www.xenu.net

keep alert

Not only are they a cult, but they are a bait and switch con operation to boot.

DVW5150
20-May-2007, 11:38 PM
They are part of a lying organization, tearing peoples lives apart.
The most alarming thing, its not a film or a book, its real.:mad:

I have an aunt in Florida who was a scientologist and she has never been the same.:shifty:
She had to escape.I have no idea how she obtained that instant of clarity that spurned her to get out, but she is ok now...sort of.:rockbrow:
Thanks for the link.

capncnut
20-May-2007, 11:40 PM
This documentary blew me away... I wish someone would blow Tommy Davis away! :D

Cody
21-May-2007, 12:25 AM
crud I wanna see this too.

deadpunk
21-May-2007, 04:35 AM
its on youtube guys. Just search Scientology. I watched it there. Riveting sh*t.

capncnut
21-May-2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah, totally recommended. I think that BBC guy had a lot of balls.

MinionZombie
21-May-2007, 08:28 AM
They showed the clip on Have I Got News For You, I think, or something like that, they showed a bit where he was shouting in this guy's face, which was hilarious ... but I totally understand why you'd end up shouting in a scientologist's face...gonna go download it today and watch it, will harp back with my guaranteed disgust later. :sneaky:

...additional...

Just watched it myself earlier, and it's scary viewing alright.

But how can you possibly make a fair and even-handed documentary about Scientology (as that intimidating guy was demanding), when you are being tracked, traced, followed, spied upon and researched by the 'tologists?!

And who would you have more respect for, the bloke who puts up with so much disrespect until blowing up and then appologising twice for ... or the guy who doesn't let the other party get a word in edge-ways, constantly invades other's personal space, crashes interviews half-way through to preach propaganda slandering a person, and whom organises a BBC crew to be tracked and spied upon?! Hmmm...tough choice...:rolleyes:

If you wanna be considered as a religion, which makes no sense anyway (like calling Creationism a "science"), then you have to take criticism like other religions do (well ... apart from Islam :rolleyes: ... who could do with getting with the 21st century already)...

Anyway, shocking viewing, I've pondered it enough now, so I'm off to play SexBox369! :lol:

Chic Freak
21-May-2007, 07:55 PM
y'know i was gonna get my non religous ass in on this and say "yeah there a cult", but what religion isnt?

In 'The Psychology of Religion' by Patricia Somebody (lol) it says a cult has 3 defining characteristics:

1. High focus on recruiting new members
2. Having a policy of persecuting or turning a *very* strong cold shoulder (like, a mother not talking to her child who left level of cold) on people who leave
3. Group delusions of persecution reinforced through teaching

So no, not all religions are cults ;) Tbh the first religion that sprang to mind when I read this was the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm going to watch that Scientology docu on youtube when I get the chance though :)

MinionZombie
21-May-2007, 10:20 PM
Well according to that definition, then 'tology is a total cult, as seen in that doc on t'other night...but there's also a lot of other things that can be classed as a cult by that def too...still though...:eek:

*ug* "Jovo's" :lol: ...

1) Door stepping is LAME
2) A mate of mine's dad is a jovo, but he's apparently a bit weird, or really weird...his mother just kinda joined in because "when in Rome", but basically his dad was apparently getting up to rather non-jovo activities. :rockbrow:

It'd just be so much better for everyone if we all went My Name Is Earl and took simplified Karma to our hearts. :) ... and yes I do see the irony in that statement as Jason Lee is apparently a 'tologist...

Danny
21-May-2007, 10:23 PM
In 'The Psychology of Religion' by Patricia Somebody (lol) it says a cult has 3 defining characteristics:

1. High focus on recruiting new members
2. Having a policy of persecuting or turning a *very* strong cold shoulder (like, a mother not talking to her child who left level of cold) on people who leave
3. Group delusions of persecution reinforced through teaching

So no, not all religions are cults ;) Tbh the first religion that sprang to mind when I read this was the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm going to watch that Scientology docu on youtube when I get the chance though :)

huh?:rockbrow:

Chic Freak
23-May-2007, 11:56 AM
huh what? You were saying you didn't see the difference between religions and cults and I was saying, there is a difference, that's all.

Jason Lee is apparently a 'tologist...

I know :eek: I couldn't believe it when he appeared on that program (watched it on youtube last night). It's just that... he seemed too cynical for that stuff in Mallrats :lol:

EDIT: just re-read the quote and noticed you'd highlighted a bit of it ;) Sorry. I meant, one of the features is making group membership more important than family ties, which can lead to mothers not talking to their children if their children left the cult.

Danny
23-May-2007, 12:19 PM
no that child who left level of cold, whats that about?

Chic Freak
23-May-2007, 01:31 PM
It's just me wording things badly. There probably should have been an extra comma in there, if that helps:

"like, a mother not talking to her child who left, level of cold"

but either way, it's bad English. What I meant to say was, if someone leaves the cult, it doesn't result in a natural level of mild awkwardness/ coldness between them and the remaining members. It's above that level of coldness. It's at so high a level of coldness, that for example, if a mother and her child belonged to the same cult, and the child decided to leave, the moher would no longer speak to the child.

Does that help?

Dommm
23-May-2007, 02:23 PM
Easy join my religion

There is a god

to prey to him you must do the following smoke weed, **** like a rabbit, alcohol banging music parties, and a line of coke on sundays.

Danny
23-May-2007, 02:24 PM
im gonna stick with the flying spaggetti monster thank you very much.

Dommm
23-May-2007, 02:26 PM
mmmm..... ahhh well thats another convert lost to the spagehtti monster, how does he/she do it

Danny
23-May-2007, 02:50 PM
you can listen to all the metal music you want without the nieghbours complaining and pirates are noble spirits taht hold off global warming:lol:

_liam_
23-May-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah this was excellent, me and a couple friend tuned in halfway through and we were pissing ourselves laughing at most of it.

the bit where he loses it and screams at that guy deserves a youtube clip of its own :lol:

Tricky
23-May-2007, 05:30 PM
the bit where he loses it and screams at that guy deserves a youtube clip of its own :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlPu6pbv05g

:lol:

MinionZombie
23-May-2007, 06:01 PM
I commend the dude for losing it, because really - who wouldn't? I'd have lost it long before and probably punched him. :lol: At least the puncher is human. :p

Tricky
23-May-2007, 06:11 PM
I would seriously love to have chinned that smug condescending scientologist :lol: is having your head up your own a*se & having a superiority complex one of the conditions for being a member of that cult?

Chic Freak
23-May-2007, 07:07 PM
Agreed, he was a total knobhead, provoking that journalist from the go. He shouldn't have lost it, but I can understand why he did.

Graebel
23-May-2007, 07:20 PM
That clip made my lunch break. Scientologists are nutty!!!:rockbrow:

Danny
23-May-2007, 11:57 PM
^ thats the nice way id say it.

capncnut
24-May-2007, 07:28 PM
I would seriously love to have chinned that smug condescending scientologist :lol:
Dude, my hands were curled into fists throughout the whole damn show. Not only that but Tommy Davis has the most smackable face ever. "You say one more thing about my religion and I won't he held responsible for my actions..."

BLAM!

Right there and then, I do believe. Followed by the typical English lout gob-off like, "Come on then, ya soppy alien-worshippin' twat! Get back up so I can put ya back down on ya f**kin' arse again, pal. Where's Cruise? I'll bash that silly c**t while I'm at it an' all...", etc.

Something like that. :D

<Tommy Davis shows up at Capn's front door> :eek:

Tricky
24-May-2007, 08:38 PM
Dude, my hands were curled into fists throughout the whole damn show. Not only that but Tommy Davis has the most smackable face ever. "You say one more thing about my religion otherwise I won't he held responsible for my actions..."

BLAM!

Right there and then, I do believe. Followed by the typical English lout gob-off like, "Come on then, ya soppy alien-worshippin' twat! Get back up so I can put ya back down on ya f**kin' arse again, pal. Where's Cruise? I'll bash that silly c**t while I'm at it an' all...", etc.

Something like that. :D

<Tommy Davis shows up at Capn's front door> :eek:

:lol: :lol: you sir,do indeed know the score!