PDA

View Full Version : Fav characters from zombie flick?

MissJacksonCA
21-May-2007, 11:55 PM
I dont want to limit this to characters just from the GAR films even though his were generally more developed characters but i'm just curious who are some of your favorite people from zombie flicks? Feel free to name those who should've been developed a bit more.

Personally the characters I enjoyed the most were Peter from Dawn who was very no-nonsense and straigt forward. He also had some great ideas like building the false wall. I liked Serena from 28 Days later just because she was so numb to everyone around her and she wasn't afraid to leave anyone behind if they slowed her down even if only for a moment. I also really enjoyed (I know i'm cruisin for a bruisin with this one) Frank (James Karen) from ROTLD especially when he could feel himself turning and well... we all know what happened next.

acealive1
22-May-2007, 12:12 AM
peter for me as well. the guy was all about surviving and was no nonsense when his life was in danger. roger on the other hand "lost it" and endangered not only his life but the whole team in that mall.

MissJacksonCA
22-May-2007, 12:16 AM
I agree Roger was one step from getting his butt killed by his comrades if they were smart. I mean while a character like that is an essential for any movie I think they need to probe more often the murder of someone within your camp for the safety of everyone else. Like in Day of the Dead if I was them I prolly woulda murdered all the marines... they jeopardized the safety of everyone. The tension is great but I think if Fran or Peter killed Roger the tension would be heightened because then it would be like is anyone safe?

Mutineer
22-May-2007, 01:04 AM
I like

Ben from NOTLD
Barbara from NIGHT90
Tony Todd from NIGHT90
Michael and CJ from DAWN 04
Capt Rhoades from DAY
Lori Carlisle from DAY

EVERYONE FROM RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD !

(sorry about any sp errors)

Cody
22-May-2007, 02:12 AM
you like capt r from day?

capncnut
22-May-2007, 03:04 AM
Rhodes was a badass, I don't think there's a Dead fan who doesn't like him. He's got all the best quotes. However, I gotta choose Roger from Dawn (nearly chose Ben from Night 'cos Duane was such a great actor), I think his character was so likeable.

Oh and James Karen was the shiznit! :sneaky:

Mutineer
22-May-2007, 03:09 AM
Loved Rhoades. Awesome performance. (Come to think of it, I also liked the Jamaican dude)

But yeah; all the best lines. Classic character

"I'm running this monkey show Frankenstien and I want to know, what the **** you're doing with my time!"

MissJacksonCA
22-May-2007, 04:03 AM
He was one of the better devloped people from Dawn 04 and I totally loved him. I think that whole 'trust is the key ingredient in any successful relationship' was pure gold. Of course it was predictable he'd sacrifice himself in the end for the people he once didn't want to save but definately an awesome guy.

Blackdragon6
22-May-2007, 04:11 AM
rhodes was a prick but at the end of the day he had the most sense.

Trencher
22-May-2007, 05:24 AM
I liked Ben, Tom and Fran from Night.
I liked Peters and Roger from Day (allthough not that much) and I do not agree that Roger endangered the team, he endangered himself and could very well endanger the team but he did not he was in fact the one who took the greatest risk for the team.

acealive1
22-May-2007, 06:25 AM
Loved Rhoades. Awesome performance. (Come to think of it, I also liked the Jamaican dude)

But yeah; all the best lines. Classic character

"I'm running this monkey show Frankenstien and I want to know, what the **** you're doing with my time!"

the funny thing is that the jamaican guy is really from detroit. mind F*CK hmm?

Danny
22-May-2007, 12:25 PM
no one else is gonna say frankenstein?, he was the ****!:D
also ben from night, though the white blading guy whos name escapes me was good as "the bastard you love to hate" type cahracter, bub of course was a good one, eccleston in 28 days later, and the cab driver.
manny (i think) the gun store owner in undead was a good character, as was ed in shaun of the dead "allright, gay!":lol:

MontagMOI
22-May-2007, 12:49 PM
Ben from Night (both versions)
Peter, Wooley and Dr Millard Rausch from Dawn
Dr Logan, Bub, Rhodes and Steele from Day
Burt and the Ernie from Return Of The Living Dead
William Dobbs from Dead and Buried
Dean Miller from Nightmare City
Ed from Shaun Of The Dead

DVW5150
22-May-2007, 02:56 PM
Ben (both 68 & 90)
Barbara, NotLD 90
Rodger & Peter Dawn '78
Rhodes, Dr. Logan,& the pilot in Day
Ving Ryaymes character , CJ , Sarah Polley & Steve in Dawn 04.
Kaufman , pretty boy,Cholo,O'Riely, & Kniption in Land.
Jim, Mark(the guy who got chopped up by Sereena because he gotten bit).The joke he tells Jim after they are inside the convenience store was fuking ironic-funny, ("Thats not a lion , its a giraffe":lol: ), Sereena,The Cab driver & his daughter(cant member their names) of 28 Days...
Sgt. Boyle, the Mother & Father,Lt. who helped the kids,the kids, & the chopper pilot in 28 Weeks Later.
I have to include here that I thought Sgt Boyle was a really great soldier, he was totaly frosty. One shot one kill ,Jeremy mustve had some training, he was smooth & steady, his mannerisms were spot on,and an un-thanked hero can be one of the most cathartic things a film can offer.
I hesitated to include the "28" films, but they ( in my opinion) are part of the tradition of this kind of horror.

Great thread!

bassman
22-May-2007, 03:47 PM
Bub and Frankenstein

EvilNed
22-May-2007, 09:07 PM
Ernie from ROTLD. A neo-nazi coroner. Can it get any better?

John from Day. He's very laid back and only really thinks about himself in that situation, seeing everyone else as ****ed up. In his situation, I would do the same.

Dean Miller from Nightmare City. Why? Because he takes his job to seriously and he'll be DAMNED if anything is going to get in his way! If anyone tries to stop him, they'll be lucky if they aren't clubbed down by candles, incinerated by his amazing television-chucking skills or shot in the head.

bassman
22-May-2007, 09:12 PM
John from Day. He's very laid back and only really thinks about himself in that situation, seeing everyone else as ****ed up. In his situation, I would do the same.

I don't know why I forgot him. He's another of my favorites. I don't know why, but when yukin it up with buddies I sometimes imitate his quotes with his accent.:rockbrow:

It just pops in there...

Mutineer
23-May-2007, 01:01 AM
OMG

And Shaun of course rules !

Danny
23-May-2007, 01:30 AM
i didnt like shuan myself, though to be honest im a long time space fan so i kept thinking it was a more grown up tim which didnt sit right with me, so ed stoel the show in my eyes.

TerryAlexanderF
23-May-2007, 04:14 AM
From the Dead series...

NOTLD- Harry, protect my own ass.
Dawn- Peter, badass
Day- John, layed back
Land- Cholo, get out of my way.

jim102016
23-May-2007, 11:26 PM
I agree Roger was one step from getting his butt killed by his comrades if they were smart. I mean while a character like that is an essential for any movie I think they need to probe more often the murder of someone within your camp for the safety of everyone else. Like in Day of the Dead if I was them I prolly woulda murdered all the marines... they jeopardized the safety of everyone. The tension is great but I think if Fran or Peter killed Roger the tension would be heightened because then it would be like is anyone safe?

"Marines" in Day?

MissJacksonCA
23-May-2007, 11:41 PM
like rhodes... y'know ...the ones in camo...

DVW5150
24-May-2007, 02:48 PM
like rhodes... y'know ...the ones in camo...

Nicotero and the pot growing guy had camo pants, rest of em had greens...Boy I am a stickler for detail.Sorry to be such a pedantic wanker.:lol:

jim102016
24-May-2007, 03:31 PM
Nicotero and the pot growing guy had camo pants, rest of em had greens...Boy I am a stickler for detail.Sorry to be such a pedantic wanker.:lol:

That's what this website is about.......DETAILS! Actually, there are many faults with the uniforms of the SOLDIERS, not 'army guys'. But, fortunately its not enough to take away the quality of the movie.

DVW5150
24-May-2007, 04:41 PM
That's what this website is about.......DETAILS! Actually, there are many faults with the uniforms of the SOLDIERS, not 'army guys'. But, fortunately its not enough to take away the quality of the movie.

Thanks Jim, I have miffed some with my over-observational (observations?) ...
I was thinking about Miguel, having all those st christopher necklaces...

Subtext suggestion: That he lost a lot of friends & relatives. He had become combat in-effective. More like combat related "inferior" syndrome (I made up the last phrase). I suppose that all that death around him & seeing death of loved ones, traumatized him more severely than most others.The necklaces were symbolic of the way the collapse had affected him.
His delusion, fatalistic view of everything gone, was the final undoing of an already sinking situation.

Dr Logan (Frankenstien) was an interesting character too.
If you hated him, its because he was scientifically dusted, completely gone to the other side, but was in a weird way, solving some of the questions.
I suppose in this situation, losing you mind would be, for some people, a means of escape in side yourself. A way to deal with it, the madness of being in that cave...
Knowing that the odds were 40,000 to one, is a rough pill to swallow.

Rhodes was the kinda guy that would be shot, or fed to those zeds.
Oh, wait a minute, he was: by Bub.

jim102016
25-May-2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks Jim, I have miffed some with my over-observational (observations?) ...
I was thinking about Miguel, having all those st christopher necklaces...

Subtext suggestion: That he lost a lot of friends & relatives. He had become combat in-effective. More like combat related "inferior" syndrome (I made up the last phrase). I suppose that all that death around him & seeing death of loved ones, traumatized him more severely than most others.The necklaces were symbolic of the way the collapse had affected him.
His delusion, fatalistic view of everything gone, was the final undoing of an already sinking situation.

Dr Logan (Frankenstien) was an interesting character too.
If you hated him, its because he was scientifically dusted, completely gone to the other side, but was in a weird way, solving some of the questions.
I suppose in this situation, losing you mind would be, for some people, a means of escape in side yourself. A way to deal with it, the madness of being in that cave...
Knowing that the odds were 40,000 to one, is a rough pill to swallow.

Rhodes was the kinda guy that would be shot, or fed to those zeds.
Oh, wait a minute, he was: by Bub.

Not only Miguel's numerous necklaces but many other things as well. By the mid-eighties the camo pattern had all but replaced the OD green uniform seen on most of the men. The one Johnson and Taurus wear is simply a camo pattern of an earlier verson from Vietnam and one may notice the captain's bars on Rhode's field jacket are turned the wrong direction while the yellow stripes on Steel's uniform went out on the utility uniform in the 60s. I could go on for a while, but its something you spot once you've worn the uniform yourself for a time.

Even harder to swallow....I believe Frankenstein said the odds were at 400,000 to 1 !!!

darth los
25-May-2007, 04:56 AM
Steele and Rhodes pretty much make the movie for me. Any scene where they appear and have dialouge is pretty much my favorite. I can't imagine the movie without them. That's a very good litmus test if you ask me. Try picturing the dead film of your choice without that certain character. If you just can't that's a good indication that they're great.

DVW5150
25-May-2007, 06:34 AM
The priest in Dawn 78, who comes through the door, sign on the right of him says, "Please lock when finished."
"You are stronger than us, but soon I think they be stronger than you."
Walks away with his crutch as his right leg, "We must stop the killing or lose the war."
When I first saw that, it was a modern day 'grapes of wrath' kinda thing.
It creeped me out the first time.:shifty:

darth los
25-May-2007, 06:42 AM
In terms of characters with very limited roles, yes the priest is definitely up there. Two more "bit" characters that i thought were memorable were Dr. Millard Rausch from dawn and "Chilly" Billy Cardille from NOTLD.

capncnut
05-Jun-2007, 05:15 AM
The priest in Dawn 78, who comes through the door, sign on the right of him says, "Please lock when finished."
"You are stronger than us, but soon I think they be stronger than you."
Walks away with his crutch as his right leg, "We must stop the killing or lose the war."
When I first saw that, it was a modern day 'grapes of wrath' kinda thing.
It creeped me out the first time.:shifty:
In one of the versions the old priest says "The people of 107 will do what you wish now, these are simple people and they give up easily. But the dead? They give up for no-one." Awesome line. :cool:

MissJacksonCA
05-Jun-2007, 06:33 PM
tis a good line arrrghhh

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 01:45 AM
In one of the versions the old priest says "The people of 107 will do what you wish now, these are simple people and they give up easily. But the dead? They give up for no-one." Awesome line. :cool:

Another reason why i feel kinda bad for people who haven't scene all three versions. Also, a great reason for all three to be combined into one big zombie sandwich. Each film has it's own respective scene extensions/ extra dialouge that really flesh out the movie. this line is found exclusively in the Euro cut. I'm constantly surprised by how many people have never seen the european cut. It's my least favorite, but i think it needs to be seen in order to get the full scope of the film.

swellman
07-Jun-2007, 10:42 PM
Peter from the original Dawn is my favorite. He was just such a great character who I loved watching.

JohnoftheDead
08-Jun-2007, 05:24 PM
the funny thing is that the jamaican guy is really from detroit. mind F*CK hmm?

Yeah & I've been seeing him in a few commercials lately, although I can't remember right off hand what they were. One of them was some prescription drug, maybe Nexium or something like that.

flyboy
09-Jun-2007, 10:38 AM
I dont want to limit this to characters just from the GAR films even though his were generally more developed characters but i'm just curious who are some of your favorite people from zombie flicks? Feel free to name those who should've been developed a bit more.

Personally the characters I enjoyed the most were Peter from Dawn who was very no-nonsense and straigt forward. He also had some great ideas like building the false wall. I liked Serena from 28 Days later just because she was so numb to everyone around her and she wasn't afraid to leave anyone behind if they slowed her down even if only for a moment. I also really enjoyed (I know i'm cruisin for a bruisin with this one) Frank (James Karen) from ROTLD especially when he could feel himself turning and well... we all know what happened next.
defo got to be peter from dawn of the dead! so cool and imaginative!:cool:

RustyHicks
26-Jun-2007, 12:03 AM
NOTLD= Ben..It made me:mad: :skull: when they killed him at the end, actually first time I saw the film, it shocked me that he got killed.

DOTD 78 Roger= Even though he gets a little insane, he's still a good fighter and had a good sense of humour

Day= Rhodes, he was just great. A real annoying guy that you ended up liking. Bub too was pretty awesome.

ROTLD= The guy who runs the cremation place, can't remember his name off the top of my head, I just thought he was funny.

darth los
26-Jun-2007, 12:08 AM
Roger was actually the glue that kept the group together. He was the reason they were all there. Things were just not the same after he died.

Neil
26-Jun-2007, 07:44 AM
Rhodes (Josef Pilato) & Logan (Richard Liberty) from Day... Both characters (& performances) were great!

http://www.homepageofthedead.com/films/day/jpilato.jpg

darth los
26-Jun-2007, 07:49 AM
That's gotta be like a 15 year old photo. He actually looks decent in it.

Logan and rhodes definitely had the best advesarial chemistry in the series this side of cooper and ben.

CapnRhodes
26-Jun-2007, 09:15 AM
Duane Jones as Ben will always be my favorite character

MaximusIncredulous
26-Jun-2007, 11:05 AM
Doc Logan from Day. Everytime I think mad doctor, he's the first character to pop into my head.

darth los
26-Jun-2007, 05:09 PM
Honorable mention has to go to john from day. I mean he was just so cool about it. You never felt like he was in any danger.