PDA

View Full Version : Alien released in theaters...

DVW5150
23-May-2007, 12:03 PM
Ridley Scott is releasing the directors cut of Alien in theaters this year...He added some of the scenes he edited out for pacing near the end of the film.
Ripley finding Dallas cocooned, "Kill me..." Dallas can barely speak...
Alien is a masterpiece.
It singlehandedly made horror a space component.

Danny
23-May-2007, 12:17 PM
great film but doesnt really seems like itd pull in the crowds, like how many new fans whove never heard of it could be enticed to see it?, and while there may be hardcore alien fans that enjoyed it, its like terminator 2, great film but i wouldnt pay to see a film i own on dvd.

DVW5150
23-May-2007, 12:27 PM
I think that some people would go, but it is kinda iffy.
He shouldve released this version on dvd straight away.But the cinema is an experience in itself, this amazing caustaphobic film would be great to see again like this.
I agree that new fans would be hard to generate, with every other movie now having cgi stuff.Remember that this film has none. It is the culmination of true practical effects in its own genre.Great actors, photography , set design,sound & great script.
But , that can be 'lost in translation' to a new generation.
A risk to say the least.
Ridley is a great filmmaker in my book.

EvilNed
23-May-2007, 12:33 PM
This Directors Cut has been out on DVD for years though. It was released as a double disc a few years ago (2003 I believe) and was also part of the Quadrilogy box set.

bassman
23-May-2007, 12:46 PM
Just as Ned said....it's already on DVD. And I may very well be wrong but I seem to remember it being re-released in theaters a few years back. Whether or not it had the deleted scenes, I don't know.

Either way....I'll be there. Now they just need to re-release James Cameron's "Aliens". I would see that multiple times on the big screen.

DjfunkmasterG
23-May-2007, 02:53 PM
I like Cameron's Aliens. LouCIpherr had it playing on his TV one day when I stopped by and watching Bill Paxton meltdown was hilarious. :D

bassman
23-May-2007, 04:19 PM
I like Cameron's Aliens. LouCIpherr had it playing on his TV one day when I stopped by and watching Bill Paxton meltdown was hilarious. :D

You had never seen it?!?!?:eek:

"Well that's great, that's just f*ckin' great man. Now what the f*ck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty sh*t now man... That's it man, game over man, game over! What the f*ck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"

:D Classic.

Cody
23-May-2007, 06:07 PM
true already on dvd just not worth it, you could buy a box of condoms for the price of a admission ticket

EvilNed
24-May-2007, 11:38 AM
I'd watch it in trailers just for it being Alien, one of my favourite films of all times. But truth be told, I barely see any difference between the theatrical and directors cut of that film. It's minimal. He added three short scenes and trimmed some useless filler at the end. That's it.

DVW5150
24-May-2007, 04:56 PM
You had never seen it?!?!?:eek:

"Well that's great, that's just f*ckin' great man. Now what the f*ck are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty sh*t now man... That's it man, game over man, game over! What the f*ck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"

:D Classic.

Ripley replies: "This little girl survived for months without any harm."
"Why dont you put her in charge?!"
I like when the corporate board is grilling Ripley about blowing up the Nostromo,

" You justify blowing up a 500 trillion dollar (amount cant recall) space frieghter ?"
"You can bill me." Rip replies.

capncnut
24-May-2007, 09:07 PM
"This little girl survived for months without any harm."
"Why dont you put her in charge?!"
"Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man?"
"No, have you?" :lol:

fartpants
28-May-2007, 03:25 PM
" Get away from her you bitch"

coma
28-May-2007, 04:34 PM
"Game over dude!"

Alien, Aliens AND T2 on the Big screen is the choice. they are films that engulf you in the right enviornment. I saw Alien at a Drive In in 1979 at it scarred me for life:D

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 12:41 AM
I think i'll see it in the theater because I wont wanna commit to having to buy the DVD directors cut. I feel like they keep trying to come up with ways to get me to buy every possible release of DVDs and they lure me in with code phrases like 'extra scenes' and 'bonus footage' but in the end that 3 minutes extra stuff isn't worth the 25.99 I end up paying for the really expensive DVDs. I will applaud the Alien movies though because I HATE sci-fi but this movie and that Sam Neil one Event Horizon were perdy spiffy I tell ya what.

Ooo but I love Terminator 2 hope that one comes out with all the extra stuff to theaters.

Danny
29-May-2007, 01:13 AM
t2 is far superior to alien in my opinion, i freakin' love that movie, havent seen it in ages though.

darth los
29-May-2007, 01:14 AM
great film but doesnt really seems like itd pull in the crowds, like how many new fans whove never heard of it could be enticed to see it?, and while there may be hardcore alien fans that enjoyed it, its like terminator 2, great film but i wouldnt pay to see a film i own on dvd.

I agree that it is a masterpiece. That movie is art. Another movie of that caliber is dawn 78'. You're right audiences nowdays consist of the mostly teenage crowd who lack the patience for solid plot/character development. Thus you have films like dawn 04' ,which could have been so much more, but it was obvious as to the type of demographic they were catering to.

DVW5150
30-May-2007, 01:53 PM
t2 is far superior to alien in my opinion, i freakin' love that movie, havent seen it in ages though.

That said, comparing them doesnt ring true, because they are such completely different films.I could understand comparing works with simularity, but Alien (1979),has acidic blood & teeth shooting...chest burster gestating inside your stomach punching out through your ribcage... the claustiphobic fear of the dark in the Nostromo, ...Compared with : Guns & Roses on a racing dirt bike in the L.A. aquaduct Big friggin truck chasing them down (btw the explosion of the truck is sweet, there is a ping at the beginning of detonation that gives it character) Minigun fun, the morphing t-1000, cpus & awesome kneecap shots," I wont kill anyone." Chill out, Dickwad. "...
The 2 are so different, I would not put one above another...
They each have superior results, matter of fact, they are probably 2 of the best sci-fi films in film history.
The less you see can be just as frightening than seeing more. Alien does this, in a way unlike most other 'space monster' movies. Alien is less about solid action, and more in fear.
Now comparing Aliens (1986),might have some validity, due to who directed T2, Mr Cameron.

Just as I wouldnt compare dis-simular food, ie; apple vs orange...

I have spent entirely too much time on this stuff...:lol:

bassman
30-May-2007, 02:46 PM
Now comparing Aliens (1986),might have some validity, due to who directed T2, Mr Cameron.

Yeah, I can see a few things from "Aliens" that leaked into "T2". The growth of the adult/child relationship, for one.

"Alien" and "T2" are definitely in total different ball parks.