PDA

View Full Version : what not to do when making a film(NOTLD 30th)

darth los
24-May-2007, 05:15 PM
Well it's official, NOTLD 30th anniversary edition is total crap. It is now being used as a textbook example of what not to do when making a film. As if we didn't know already. Many of the points they bring up have been discussed here before. Still, it's nice to see that it's recognized in the mainstream as a steaming pile of elephant crap as well. I especially like the comparison with lucas and how he decided to taint his legacy with episodes 1-3. Way to go Russo. ( I kinda like ep. 3 though). Oh, and the part about Romero floating off into stardom, leaving Russo in virtual anonymity making ads. Funny sh*t. But Probably true. However, after seeing what Russo did with that film, it's no wonder he never made it. Thoughts anyone?

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/790/790173p1.html

DEAD BEAT
24-May-2007, 06:16 PM
Hell yeah i have a comment!

Everybody knows now and im sure then that Romero was the fricken talent!

Russo has nothing now but to be bitter about it,Romero proved himself by showing he can survive on his own Dawn of Dead is by far in my opion greater than Night was!

Night has to be givin the crown because it was the first of its kind but im sure many fans will agree that Dawn was the better movie!

This is how it is in entertainment the talent always stands out,just a quick example AC/DC one of my favorite bands lose their singer but grow even bigger with a replacement "talent folks"!

and they say the singer is always the star i have yet to hear a decent solo album from Mick Jagger!:D

So in short "FUUUCK RUSSO"!!!:elol:

capncnut
24-May-2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.cineol.net/images/noticias/Cameos/NocheMuertesVivientes.jpg
"May your soul burn in everlasting fire!" :lol:

Edit: WOOT! Perfect post for a rank change, it's feeding time!

acealive1
24-May-2007, 10:40 PM
cant compare prequels to added footage of an old movie

EvilNed
24-May-2007, 11:43 PM
I haven't seen it and I'm not going too. But that pic looks hilarious. John Russo can't make a film worth a damn.

Cody
24-May-2007, 11:54 PM
Havent seen it either :)

darth los
24-May-2007, 11:56 PM
Don't let curiosity get the better of you. Learn from our mistakes. Avoid it at all costs !!!:eek:

acealive1
25-May-2007, 12:21 AM
I haven't seen it and I'm not going too. But that pic looks hilarious. John Russo can't make a film worth a damn.

LOL

crazy,man. but true.

Cody
25-May-2007, 12:58 AM
it cant be worse then children of the living dead.

Spider Rico
25-May-2007, 02:53 AM
I saw it on sale the other day for five dollars. Good thing I passed it up.:barf:

DVW5150
25-May-2007, 03:42 AM
Truly an awful thing was done, adding the 15 minutes at the begging.
Rented it a few years ago was all excited before it started and, ooommmf!
Not worth the trouble.The additional stuff was centered around the zed at the beginning, who attacks Barbara . What happened before Johnny & barbara arrive at the cemetery.
Hopefully you can find the original cheap, I cant believe this is even mentioned in that article.
So if you have this dvd, you know where you can put it.
Certainly not in your dvd player.

darth los
25-May-2007, 04:17 AM
All this hype about the extra footage and the real crime was not filming Ben's account about what happened at Beekman's Diner. Now that would have been something. But you know Russo wpould screw it up even if they did film it. All we get is a preacher nashing his teeth a bunch of "extra" footage that does nothing to enhance the experience. If anything it detrracts from it.

jim102016
25-May-2007, 04:43 AM
This is ridiculous...damned ridiculous. Pathetic, can't anyone follow GAR's format in order to produce a good movie? I just don't understand how people can f*ck up so bad when the path has already been layed for them!

darth los
25-May-2007, 04:51 AM
A very good point and I totally i agree, but perhaps it's because what Gar has done with his dead flicks is special and not so easily imitated as we might think. What he did with the original trilogy can't be described as anything less than genius. It also escapes people that zombies are only a part of his movies and have very little to do with what he's trying to convey. It's erely the backdrop. Maybe that's where they go wrong. They figure zombies, gore, we've got ourselves a blockbuster gentleman. What truly seperates Gar's work from the hacks is the social satire and character development that the other films sorely lack. They simply lack the vision to produce a dead film that is on par with anything that GAR has produced

Rolfus
25-May-2007, 09:40 AM
i had never seen night 68 before and i was pretty excited about seeing an edition with extra footage which i presumed was orginal footage cut from the movie luckly i watched the original first:mad:. I have now learned an important leason read the back of the dvd first:rolleyes:, i still haven't seen the proper unedit version with the original sound track

DVW5150
25-May-2007, 01:06 PM
Yes search ebay you'll find the original version.Or you could find it at some of the shoppes you've got near you.
Its a great experience, it leaves you thinking, the mark of great film-making outside of the Hollywood bull.

DEAD BEAT
25-May-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree with every comment here because everyone is negative about this piece of shiiit...Which we all should be!

To comment on an earlier post your right on saying other idiots trying to copy GAR'S work think its all about the gore add some here some there and "blam" we have a hit!
One of the things that made dawn is that it was treated like a real movie!

Meaning that their was a seriousness to the plot and no cheese,GAR really connected with the idea of "this is what would happen if their was an zombie take over!;)

p.s. let's all form a line and one at a time cram our copies of NIGHT 30' up that hack John Russo's assss!!!!!!:evil:

darth los
25-May-2007, 05:09 PM
All at once :eek: or do we have to take a number ? :confused:

DEAD BEAT
25-May-2007, 05:19 PM
All at once :eek: or do we have to take a number ? :confused:

What ever tickles your fancy!
:D

But only the dvd itself that way he gets sliced up makeing veal cuttlits of his assshole!;)

darth los
25-May-2007, 05:44 PM
Jigsaw would be so proud of you.:D You'd be a worthy successor to his legacy.

capncnut
05-Jun-2007, 05:33 AM
Just changed the picture on page 1 to something more mockworthy, the bite mark on the skinhead priest's cheek. Yes, he survived a zombie bite 'cos "the Lord works in mysterious ways". Where the hell did Russo dig up that dialogue from?

In a double s**t sandwich, the guy who played the priest (Scott Vladimir Licina) was also the man responsible for the new soundtrack. :dead:

Yojimbo
06-Jun-2007, 01:31 AM
Still think that all of the heads at HPOTD should make our own versions of Night of the Living Dead, much like Russo et al did.

My version would have a mime (or maybe a stripper) hiding in the attic the whole time, reacting to the sounds of dialogue from "downstairs"

Or maybe I would just put myself into scenes. Here is a sample of my script which I think is right about up there with Russo's

Mr Cooper: But the cellar is the safest place.

Me: Well, gosh Mr. Cooper, I'm not sure about that. What do you think about that, Ben? Don't you think the cellar is a death trap?

Ben: The cellar is a death-trap.

Me: (to Mr. Cooper) See! Ben agrees with me, Mr. Cooper! Right on!

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 03:15 AM
The greatest disapointment i have with that film is that the beekman's diner scene was never given life. This has the potential to be one of the greatest scenes in zombiedom and no one has chosen to tackle it. The way ben describes it is just captivating. We've only been able to picture it in our imaginations. I mean I've given up on asking WTF was russo thinking when he made this junk, but he really missed the boat on that one. That scene could have been the films saving grace. Instead we're left with a steaming pile of goat nuts.:mad:

Dawg
06-Jun-2007, 07:47 PM
When I originally heard about Night 30th back when they were making it/releasing it, I thought they would have the Diner scene in there as well.

What do we get? Bill Hinzman as the Cemetery Zombie who is 30 years older and 30 years fatter. And they passed this off as the same guy?! WTF??!! :confused:

If Russo thought he couldn't do the Diner scene because there was no Duane Jones around to do it, so what? They shouldn't have used Bill Hinzman, that is for sure.

This is what they could have done: Got someone who looked like Ben and kept him in shadow or not show his face. Since Ben was talking about the scene, we didn't have to see his face anyway. Show the back of him, dub in some old voice of Duane Jones, or use someone who can sound like him or have him not even speak.

Then film the damn sequence. Not too hard. It would have been great, but no... :(

:dead: Dawg

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 08:36 PM
If Russo thought he couldn't do the Diner scene because there was no Duane Jones around to do it, so what? They shouldn't have used Bill Hinzman, that is for sure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They might as well have made Bill up in blackface to look like duane.:rockbrow: Hey, it was already a turd to start with. It couldn't have hurt.