PDA

View Full Version : road to fiddlers green

fartpants
24-May-2007, 07:43 PM
simple question guys , is this game worth buying for my p.c, i played the demo and was quite impressed, but is it worth the money ??

darth los
24-May-2007, 08:06 PM
simple question guys , is this game worth buying for my p.c, i played the demo and was quite impressed, but is it worth the money ??

Three words. HELL ****ING NO!!!!!:eek: Thank god you came here first. It would have been the worst mistake of your life. Here read this.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/landofthedeadroadtofiddlersgreen/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

After reading that, if you still want to buy it, God bless you.

capncnut
24-May-2007, 09:46 PM
simple question guys , is this game worth buying for my p.c, i played the demo and was quite impressed, but is it worth the money??
Stay away from it. Road To Fiddler's Green has to be one of the worst games I have ever played in my entire life, seriously it's up there with Bruce Lee: Quest Of The Dragon. If you want it for GAR collection purposes then fine, knock yerself out but to play it? As Darth says, "HELL F**KING NO!!!" :dead:

MinionZombie
24-May-2007, 10:06 PM
The game itself is pretty crap, there's moments of niceness, but over all it's cack, I played it once through and that's it - what is nifty though, is the modding community, who have produced some rockin' maps for it, far better than the actual game itself. :)

UndeadGames - the folk who post there have done some rockin' stuff, I even did a little promo video of a Day of the Dead map by Trin. :cool:

Cody
25-May-2007, 12:17 AM
so basicly good level layouts?

loktar
25-May-2007, 01:25 AM
Ugh I hate when people say do not buy the game who have only played the stock game with no mods.

Get the game! It is amazing especially multiplayer. Trin is working on a mod called LMS which he has a server up for now where you try and survive to be the last person alive. If you die you become a zombie and chase around the survivors. He also intorduced the infection mod where if a zombie hits you you are infected and slowly lose health until you die.

Tons of weapons have been added, from MP5's to Machete's. New characters have been added, pretty much every zombie movie has at least 1 level created for it, includng a resident evil map where the red Licker guys are even in it chasing you down.

There are 2 total conversion mods in the works currently which add a ton to the game, heres a link to the interview I did with one mod team recently http://www.undeadgames.com/?action=news&story=120

They are working on getting vehicles into the game as well. There are so many people who cannot even find the game now who desperatly want it so if you see it I would get it immediatly.

Come on over to Undeadgames.com and ask if you should get LOTD:RTFG and you will get a much different response than you got here. Out of the box the game sucks horribly but with the mods (which auto download from the servers when you connect) it is awesome. There are always servers up including mine which I run 24/7 and all the servers are pretty much always full.

Cody
25-May-2007, 02:15 AM
^^ thats actually cool

darth los
25-May-2007, 02:19 AM
^^ thats actually cool

The blow job guy has spoken !! :p

MinionZombie
25-May-2007, 10:37 AM
LOTD: RTFG is definitely worth it for the modifications, that's what makes the game worthwhile, blows the single player out of the water.

DVW5150
25-May-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes, the trailer looks good and if the mods are worth it on the pc, I wanna get some headshots!:elol:

Braces for my 11 year old versus Stalker & HL 2 , Xbox360= My daughters braces first. Anyone with a brain stem knows that.
Being accountable can make this stuff take a back burner.

I am sad that they messed up "Road to Fiddlers Grack" so poorly thought out.
It really could've done justice to GAR, but went limp.

darth los
25-May-2007, 05:38 PM
It really could've done justice to GAR, but went limp.

I'm not touching that one. :lol: :lol:

MinionZombie
25-May-2007, 06:04 PM
Well the thing with RTFG is that it was "Day of the Zombie" initially, had absolutely nothing to do with Land...but then it was changed mid-way through to become a Land tie-in game...also, it was a budget title, so you're not going to be getting a lot of snazz for your dollah.

As I've said before though, a fairly naff game like RTFG has a whole world of excellent modding opportunities that really bring it to life.

DVW5150
26-May-2007, 12:57 PM
I might as well get for my Alienware...
I still play "Unreal" its from 1999 & I still love it! If anybody hasnt found out, you press tilde~ and 'summon flakcannon' or summon anything and it appears there...same w/ other characters...

Ill fiddle with it...Ahem.

Eyebiter
27-May-2007, 03:43 PM
Check the bargain bin. You might find a PC or Xbox copy of Fiddler's Green cheap.

darth los
28-May-2007, 02:25 AM
lol. Good point. The bargain bin is usually the first place i look. Then comes the used games section.

Cody
28-May-2007, 02:46 AM
is it really going for bargain bins?

darth los
28-May-2007, 03:14 AM
i wouldn't be surprised. It's doomed to the same fate as the film it seems. :p

MinionZombie
28-May-2007, 10:38 AM
i wouldn't be surprised. It's doomed to the same fate as the film it seems. :p
:rolleyes:

I still love Land, t'was awesome. :D

Anyway, RTFG was a budget title, i.e. $20 shot, so you should find it fairly cheap somewhere, but I'd recommend the PC copy, because then you can download the modifications from UndeadGames.com, those mods are the best thing about the game, lots of fun.

fartpants
28-May-2007, 02:18 PM
thanks guys, bargain bin it is then

capncnut
04-Jun-2007, 07:42 AM
Hey Farty, that 'bargain bin' talk does not apply to us British folk, I'm afraid. The game was released to the UK in very limited quantities and because of it's prestigious 0 out of 10 rating in all the magazines, it didn't sell. Shortly after that Fiddler's Green was deleted and I have not seen it for sale (even 2nd hand) in my local GameStation since that happened. But hey, you might find one, somewhere.

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2007, 09:42 AM
Or, dare I say it, on the t'internet...of course, we can't provide links here on the forum as VBB doesn't take kindly to that sort of thing, but that's where I got it from...you might find it there perhaps...I've no idea where my copy has gone to though, buried underneath the mountain of CD-Rs in my room I guess...but ach, I'm too addicted to Saints Row right now...

Trin
20-Jun-2007, 06:46 PM
I really believe that any GAR fan would get their money's worth out of LOTD:RTFG.

As one of the main modders for LOTD my opinion is certainly biased, but I'll be the first to admit that the game as shipped earned its bad reputation. If it weren't for the modding potential this game would've lasted on my PC for about a week.

However, the modding community has brought so much to the table for this game, including:
- Lots of new multiplayer invasion maps, includeing Night, Dawn, and Day maps
- Infection mod and headshot-only zombies to better simulate the Romero universe
- Tons of AI improvements
- Last Man Standing mod to put you in the zombie role against your former friends and survivors
- Dedicated Servers with fast downloads to make those maps and mods highly available and easy to get/play

We're in the process of implementing:
- Multiplayer coop mission-style maps
- Vehicles, including a fully working, drivable Dead Reckoning
- New single-player adventures

We also have mods to simulate non-traditional zombie and zombie-like opponents, like running zombies from Dawn '04, the Infected from 28 Days Later, or the zombie-ish Vampires from I Am Legend.

But best of all, the LOTD modding community is a small community made up of GAR fans. We take zombies - especially GAR zombies - very seriously. We listen to what zombie fans want in their zombie mods and try to deliver.

So find a copy if you can. If you cannot please report that to support@groovegames.com. They need to know if there is interest in the game that is not being met.

And I still disliked Land - it needed modding. :p

darth los
20-Jun-2007, 07:01 PM
The bare bones game is trash. But as you and mz have stated it's all about the mods. that being considered it sounds peretty awesome. Make me almost want to become a pc gamer.... almost. :p

DrSiN
20-Jun-2007, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't say the TRTFG was trash. It's a budget title and you have to look at it as such. Removing the tacked on Land of the Dead references for a moment, this is a pretty decent budget title if a bit generic. It's certainly not Romero zombies but so what.

For $20 it's a good 3 or 4 hours of entertainment. The modding community is doing a pretty damn good job as well.

Danny
20-Jun-2007, 10:49 PM
is dead rising on the pc?, cus undead games would make a bitching dawn online game suing that engine i reckon':cool:

i mean who hear wouldnt want to play a game like that on xbox live, invite a few other hpot guys into your mall and survive till help arrives, like diablo a differently layed out mall each time and you start at the base level each time, and you coule be a zombie , play through scenarios differently *drools*, hell the best mmo for us romero fans would be like "world of the dead" an mmo the size of warcraft set in real citys like san andreas in a zombie epidemic you could roam the land, barricading yourselves in at night to sruvive, granted thered be no major closure other than ebcomeing a zombie ,dying then restarting but it would be damn fun nonetheless, why games companys havent seen the potential is beyond me.

CornishCorpse
20-Jun-2007, 10:52 PM
Damn Trin..Ive read alot of reviews on here around trashing the game but Im intrested in the mods and the headshots also a game where I can play a night,dawn and day scenario? : Sigh : To ebay I go Im sure Ive got a couple quid spare..

darth los
20-Jun-2007, 11:41 PM
is dead rising on the pc?, cus undead games would make a bitching dawn online game suing that engine i reckon':cool:

That's the best idea I've heard today!!! How could anybody play that game and not think dawn of the dead? There's even a disclaimer at the begining of the game that says it doesn't have anything to do with romero's dawn. Yeah right. Why else would you put it there if you didn't think you'd be sued?

MinionZombie
21-Jun-2007, 06:21 PM
Ah mate I'd love it if there was a Dawn of the Dead mod for Dead Rising ... but alas it isn't on PC. :(

But aye, you play Dead Rising - you think Dawn - I'm gearing up for another viewing of Dawn soon as a result. :)

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 07:12 PM
Ah mate I'd love it if there was a Dawn of the Dead mod for Dead Rising ... but alas it isn't on PC. :(

But aye, you play Dead Rising - you think Dawn - I'm gearing up for another viewing of Dawn soon as a result. :)

Like you needed an excuse. :p There's no mod right now but that could change. All it takes are fans of the movie take the initiative and get it done. Some body has to do it. I swear i would totally get a gaming pc if that came out. It's almost got me giddy. :D

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2007, 10:43 AM
First step - Dead Rising on PC (highly doubtful right now), next step - Dawn mod - third step - HPOTD collectively spoodges. :lol:

ewwww...

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 11:34 AM
It might be gross but sacrifices must be made. :D Think about it. You's be a hero with legendary status around here.

Wildey
04-Aug-2007, 02:15 PM
Even if the game is not technically brilliant, I never saw a game which as well reproduces the Romero movies environment.

I spent a good moment playing it, my preferred moment is when you must help the truck-driver to reach his truck by shooting the zombies from the top of a roof.

DVW5150
05-Aug-2007, 04:45 PM
I really believe that any GAR fan would get their money's worth out of LOTD:RTFG.

As one of the main modders for LOTD my opinion is certainly biased, but I'll be the first to admit that the game as shipped earned its bad reputation. If it weren't for the modding potential this game would've lasted on my PC for about a week.

However, the modding community has brought so much to the table for this game, including:
- Lots of new multiplayer invasion maps, includeing Night, Dawn, and Day maps
- Infection mod and headshot-only zombies to better simulate the Romero universe
- Tons of AI improvements
- Last Man Standing mod to put you in the zombie role against your former friends and survivors
- Dedicated Servers with fast downloads to make those maps and mods highly available and easy to get/play

We're in the process of implementing:
- Multiplayer coop mission-style maps
- Vehicles, including a fully working, drivable Dead Reckoning
- New single-player adventures

We also have mods to simulate non-traditional zombie and zombie-like opponents, like running zombies from Dawn '04, the Infected from 28 Days Later, or the zombie-ish Vampires from I Am Legend.

But best of all, the LOTD modding community is a small community made up of GAR fans. We take zombies - especially GAR zombies - very seriously. We listen to what zombie fans want in their zombie mods and try to deliver.

So find a copy if you can. If you cannot please report that to support@groovegames.com. They need to know if there is interest in the game that is not being met.

And I still disliked Land - it needed modding. :p

I can only say "Left for Dead" thanx to Captn for giving me the news about it.

darth los
05-Aug-2007, 04:47 PM
I can only say "Left for Dead" thanx to Captn for giving me the news about it.

That's going to be an awsome game and could very well be one of the best zombie games ever made.

SRP76
31-Dec-2008, 07:03 PM
Thread revival.

I never played this game (because I never wanted any XBox, and don't do PC gaming), but I finally looked up some video. I watched it played through on youtube from beginning to end.

My question is: what's so "horrible" about the game? Everything I read about it is people just bitching about what a waste of time it is. But, nothing specific.

I didn't see anything bad about the game. You've got zombies, weapons, and you kill the zombies. Where's the bad?

The only one gripe I could possibly have is that a headshot almost never drops a zombie. Point-blank to the forehead with the pistol, and it just keeps shambling. I'm not big on that. And maybe the zombies attacking by puking at you.

Other than that, I can't see the "horrible".

MinionZombie
01-Jan-2009, 09:37 AM
The trouble with the game, is that it's a budget title, so it lacks the finesse of larger titles, and indeed the shooting of zombies is so inaccurate, or downright silly - you can shoot one in the foot five times or so and it'll die, which is rather silly.

I'm sure watching it on YouTube and playing it are two entirely different things, though.

I think the mods for it were better than the game though.

capncnut
01-Jan-2009, 01:52 PM
Well you only have to play it for five minutes to see that it's utter cack. Has a no brainer of a story (which follows NOTLD's timeline as opposed to LOTD's), the level design is average, the AI is totally pants, the zombies can break through brick walls, etc...

krakenslayer
01-Jan-2009, 04:26 PM
No. The game is a terrible rush job - the graphics and sound are half-assed, the AI is ridiculously dumb, the zombies are incredibly inconsistent (they lumber slowly on their feet, but crawl at 50mph when their legs are shot out), the dialogue is horrendous, level design is linear and insipid (key, door, key) and the gameplay and physics are broken.

Someone needs to make this ultimate Romero zombie game:

An open plan world (similar to Oblivion or Fallout 3) filled with thousands upon thousands of unique (procedurally-generated?) zombies.

Dawn-style raiders should be another danger, and survivor settlements with NPCs who can give side-missions and provide aid should be scattered around the map.

There should be dozens of different weapons and items. Weaker firearms and melee weapons should take multiple hits to the zombie's head to kill them (i.e. to completely destroy the brain), whereas shotguns, high calibre rifles, etc. will bring them down with one headshot. Some zombies - soldiers, etc. - are people who died wearing body armour and are much harder to kill, even by headshots. Most of the zombies should lurch around unpredictably (head lolling, etc.) to make headshots more difficult. It should be possible to bring them down, but not kill them, by damaging the torso so that their spine is severed and their legs paralysed, but such zombies can still crawl or grab the player's leg as he walks past.

Some areas should be strewn with dead bodies, making it hazardous to cross as some of them may be crippled undead. Other areas should be so full of zombies as to be impassable by normal run-and-gun gameplay, requiring stealth, the finding of overhead/underground/vehicle or otherwise safer means of travel to cross them.

Shallow bites and scratches (as well as bullet wounds, etc.) should cause injury and lower the players normal health bar, whereas deeper (critical) zombie bites cause bacterial infection that must be healed by massive antibiotic injection or cauterization within a certain time limit or the player becomes sick, dies and becomes a zombie. Any NPC that is killed becomes a zombie, although the length of in-game time between death and revival varies between five minutes and a day.

A lot of effort should be put into zombie AI. Usually developers add zombies to a game because they think they are stupid and they can go easy on the AI, this is a big mistake IMO, and robs them of character and their disturbing elements. The zombies should have just as detailed artificial intelligence as the human characters - a zombie who was once a postman might be found still trying (clumsily) to deliver mail, a shop assistant might be found trying to stock shelves with rotten, maggot-ridden food... until they see a human and come lurching towards them. Some zombies should wander alone, lurking in dark places or crawling through undergrowth, some should wander in packs through the ruins of cities. They should be attracted to places they might have remembered from life. They should respond to human noises such as gunfire and be attracted from a distance so that a loud confrontation with a single zombie can quickly draw thousands out of the woodwork, and this can be used strategically in combat with human enemies or to clear a certain area of the undead.

There should be several different "types" of zombie AI. Not like different Doom-style monsters, but certain individuals should behave in a slightly different way to the others. The vast majority are straightforward "walkers", some are "lurchers" who don't run but shamble a lot faster than the regular zombies (a la Cemetery Zombie, Zombie Kids in Dawn), some are "moaners" who are very vocal and attract other zombies when they spot you, some are "thinkers" who have simple problem solving ability (a la Bub, Big Daddy). In addition to this, about half of normal ghouls are able to use simple bludgeoning weapons (table legs, baseball bats, etc.) to attack humans and break down defenses, and a very small percentage (mostly "thinkers" or military/police "walkers") are able to use firearms in a rudimentary way.

Fire should be another strategically important element. In close quarters it can be used to repel a horde of zombies, but from a distance it draws attention to the player. Fire and fireworks can be used - a la Land of the Dead - to mesmerise zombies and provide temporary defence.

In keeping with the Dead series, there should be some sort of siege mechanic whereby a player - or an NPC settlement - stranded in an area with a high concentration of zombies can fortify a building against the hordes. Zombies continually attack and break down boarded-up windows and doors and the player (and NPCs) have to continually re-fortify and defend themselves until they can thin out the hordes or help arrives.

There should also be very detailed gore effects compared with most games; zombies should be able to tear out intestines and internal organs from their dead victims, hordes are able to dismember their prey.

Okay, I got carried away with that. But what do you guys think?

capncnut
01-Jan-2009, 06:40 PM
I would love to see a game like this made but Elder Scrolls games take a good five years to make. I totally see what you mean though because I've been playing Oblivion quite a lot lately and was thinking the same thing. Would be a HUGE undertaking though.

I always figured that the GTA engine would be more the way to go.

bigmonkey2582
01-Jan-2009, 06:44 PM
The gta engine is a bit too....goofy for my liking. Don't know how well it could work for a GAR game.

MinionZombie
01-Jan-2009, 07:13 PM
The gta engine is a bit too....goofy for my liking. Don't know how well it could work for a GAR game.
You'd probably need something a bit more claustrophobic ... maybe ... but a zombie GTA IV would be awesome, slap a God Mode option in there and you could have some crazy-ass fun. :D

SymphonicX
01-Jan-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd buy an open world zombie game - that's what I thought Left for Dead was, but was disappointed.

I'd love to see an everlasting online multiplayer like WOW but with the undead, you get a city/country to explore and have to make alliances to combat things like hunger, infection, hoardes of the undead, raiders, etc etc...you can build your own fortresses, fortifiy them, and protect them from the undead, but key is interaction with other players - not just in a run and gun sense, but tactically...

Andy
01-Jan-2009, 11:02 PM
There's a game based on land of the dead? :rockbrow:

axlish
01-Jan-2009, 11:31 PM
The mods for this game are legendary. Better AI and insanely killer maps for Monroeville Mall and Day of the Dead caverns.

SRP76
01-Jan-2009, 11:54 PM
I'd buy an open world zombie game - that's what I thought Left for Dead was, but was disappointed.

I'd love to see an everlasting online multiplayer like WOW but with the undead, you get a city/country to explore and have to make alliances to combat things like hunger, infection, hoardes of the undead, raiders, etc etc...you can build your own fortresses, fortifiy them, and protect them from the undead, but key is interaction with other players - not just in a run and gun sense, but tactically...

There would have to be a limit to the number of people that can play each scenario. Otherwise, you'll end up with more living people (players) than zombies, and that would suck, suck, suck. Maybe 5 or 10 total people in each city.

capncnut
02-Jan-2009, 08:23 AM
There's a game based on land of the dead? :rockbrow:
Yeah, a crummy FPS made by Atari for PC and Xbox. It had a very limited release in Europe.

MinionZombie
02-Jan-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah, a crummy FPS made by Atari for PC and Xbox. It had a very limited release in Europe.
And it wasn't even based on Land originally - it was gonna be called "Day of the Zombie" if I'm not mistaken, but then Land came along and Universal said "heey, vidja-gaeme-ty-inn!11!1!!!!", and it was fiddled around to be a little bit Land of the Dead.

Although I think the story is deliberately early in an outbreak, so you get to Fiddler's Green long before the events of the movie take place, I think that's what they did with it ... although it doesn't necessarily stick to that either, because FG gets attacked by zombies that can figure out a sledgehammer against a concrete wall ... so it doesn't really make any sense at all.

archivesofthede
30-Jan-2009, 06:18 PM
If anyone still plays the PC version, PM me. I play ever so often. Would be fun to team up.

Eyebiter
10-Feb-2009, 11:59 PM
Surprised this hasn't shown up on STEAM

axlish
11-Feb-2009, 04:05 PM
I still play the PC version from time to time, usually hosting a game of my own in the mall and day maps. For whatever reason, no one is ever hosting those and those are basically the reason the game is worth owning.

Trin
15-Feb-2010, 01:06 AM
The mods for this game are legendary. Better AI and insanely killer maps for Monroeville Mall and Day of the Dead caverns.Just in case people aren't aware, I made one of the main AI mods and the first Day map for the game. The one with the lift that comes down and the zombie pen. I made the Infection mod - where one bite and you become infected and slowly die. Headshot only mod - no more shooting the foot. I also made the Last Man Standing mod - the one where you can play as a zombie. :)

Btw- the game was made by Groove Games and Brainbox, not Atari. Atari is only associated with it because they support the UT2003 engine.

To the earlier posts - the game was gash when it came out. And in a large part still is compared to the $60 games. But it's a fun romp for a true GAR fan, if only to see the levels taken from the movies.

The game is having a mini-revival as some more mappers showed up to the table and the support for the master server (matchmaking server) became fan supported.

axlish
15-Feb-2010, 01:56 AM
Hmm, a revival. I need to fire up the ol' game again.