PDA

View Full Version : Does Diary exist?

Mikey
26-May-2007, 02:39 PM
Hellloooooooooo?

Is there anyone there?????????????

I know you were made, but no one seems to know when you'll come out.

DjfunkmasterG
28-May-2007, 12:18 PM
Last anyone heard there were re-shoots and they are having trouble finding a N. American Distributor. I figure the studios are not biting because LAND performed so poorly in the box office.

MinionZombie
28-May-2007, 05:53 PM
Poorly in the states perhaps, but it's Universal's fault, nidiots putting it up at blockbuster season. :rolleyes:

Horror flicks come out in September/October/November, geez! Or just before the blockbuster season, any non-big-budgeter brought out in the summer is gonna suffer...what really sucked is that us chaps in the UK had to wait till September 23rd to finally get to see it, last feckin' country in the bloody world to get it except for those who banned it! :eek:

Anyway, roll on Diary, I was sceptical at first, but my interest has been growing more and more, so fingers crossed for a cool flick.

DjfunkmasterG
28-May-2007, 08:26 PM
Maybe Diary is a myth in that the makers of Land keep telling us this so more people go out and buy Land.

sirjacktorrance
28-May-2007, 10:36 PM
Last anyone heard there were re-shoots and they are having trouble finding a N. American Distributor. I figure the studios are not biting because LAND performed so poorly in the box office.
so poorly?? thatīs not right.it grossed more than 48 millions worldwide.and the movie was one of the 2005 top DVDīs.i think the movie has difficults for theatrical release because itīs a very low budget movie.but i donīt think a 5 million horror movie itīs gonna be a risk to a distributor.

panic
29-May-2007, 10:32 AM
LOTD may have made some cash in the long run but it seriously underperformed expectations. You think GAR wanted to shoot his 5th Dead film with a camcorder out of the back of a pickup truck? He may be putting a pretty "get back to my roots" spin on Diary, but he's making a low-budget film because low-budget is all he can scrounge up after LOTD.

/panic

so poorly?? thatīs not right.it grossed more than 48 millions worldwide.and the movie was one of the 2005 top DVDīs.i think the movie has difficults for theatrical release because itīs a very low budget movie.but i donīt think a 5 million horror movie itīs gonna be a risk to a distributor.

Griff
29-May-2007, 03:16 PM
LOTD may have made some cash in the long run but it seriously underperformed expectations. You think GAR wanted to shoot his 5th Dead film with a camcorder out of the back of a pickup truck? He may be putting a pretty "get back to my roots" spin on Diary, but he's making a low-budget film because low-budget is all he can scrounge up after LOTD.

Then why do a dead movie if he didn't wanna do it cheap? Why not something else? Romero has made it perfectly clear what he's trying to achieve with this project and its not to compete with the big boys.

We've been told the DVDs of LAND flew off the shelves and for a while there everyone, including Romero, was thinking that a direct follow-up was next on the cards.

This isn't Romero licking his wounds. This is him doing something instead of waiting around for the coconut to drop.

This is him assuming complete control.

coma
29-May-2007, 03:22 PM
Then why do a dead movie if he didn't wanna do it cheap? Why not something else? Romero has made it perfectly clear what he's trying to achieve with this project and its not to compete with the big boys.

We've been told the DVDs of LAND flew off the shelves and for a while there everyone, including Romero, was thinking that a direct follow-up was next on the cards.

This isn't Romero licking his wounds. This is him doing something instead of waiting around for the coconut to drop.

This is him assuming complete control.
Its possible he may feel he got a bit lost and wants to go back to his roots ala NOTLD. A handful of people and simple gear. His own time his own way.
28 days later was made with DV cameras, so what's the difference? I think it's great he is jumping right back on the horse instead of waiting years and years for money and having deals falls through repeatedly. Good for him. He just wants to make movies. He's a filmmaker and whats wrong with that?

MinionZombie
29-May-2007, 05:43 PM
Agreed, I think it's great that GAR is back on the horse again with a new head of steam behind him, to view Land as a disaster is like looking at the sky and saying it's pink. :rolleyes:

GAR flat out wanted to do Diary this way, he wanted to go back and get that Night vibe going again. I think it's great that he wants to get down and dirty and get out there on his own, not like some other cinema legends who've sold out or just push out crap all day...

Arcades057
29-May-2007, 06:03 PM
Poorly in the states perhaps, but it's Universal's fault, nidiots putting it up at blockbuster season. :rolleyes:

Horror flicks come out in September/October/November, geez! Or just before the blockbuster season, any non-big-budgeter brought out in the summer is gonna suffer...what really sucked is that us chaps in the UK had to wait till September 23rd to finally get to see it, last feckin' country in the bloody world to get it except for those who banned it! :eek:

Anyway, roll on Diary, I was sceptical at first, but my interest has been growing more and more, so fingers crossed for a cool flick.

... coulda just been that Land sucked.

Just sayin.

panic
30-May-2007, 01:37 AM
Nah. Impossible. :D

... coulda just been that Land sucked.

Just sayin.

JohnoftheDead
30-May-2007, 11:45 AM
Well let's face it, the man isn't getting any younger either, I'd imagine that fact has lit a fire under his bum to work a little more frequently too.

Cody
31-May-2007, 11:26 PM
land sucked. they think hes rusted up

bassman
01-Jun-2007, 11:46 AM
"They" have already given him the money and the film is in the final stages of production.

Maybe Land didn't "suck" so bad and he isn't "rusted up" if they gave him the money?;)

Griff
04-Jun-2007, 11:15 AM
Considering this movie is supposed to comment on the potential power of current communicative technology (e.g. the internet), its quite disappointing to see the production failing to utilize it for promotional purposes. They should be 'pimping' this movie like their careers depended on it...

capncnut
15-Jun-2007, 06:38 PM
Either way, this lack of solid information can only mean one of two things.

1. The film is not going according to plan, whatever the reason.
2. GAR is being deliberately tight-lipped 'cos he plans to blow us away unexpectedly with an amazing movie.

I wonder what one it is? :rockbrow:

darth los
15-Jun-2007, 07:25 PM
It could be a combination of both.

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2007, 08:31 PM
I'd say tight-lipped just to be tight-lipped. There wasn't a shedload of info for Land of the Dead, well there was some, but not a downfall like you have with some. He probably wants to keep the surprises fresh, so he makes a bigger splash with a smaller movie, rather than a small splash from a small movie because he's been leaking info for months, like some, I duno ... *glances at hellsing knowingly with reference in-tow* "LEAKY ASS". :lol:

darth los
15-Jun-2007, 08:43 PM
True. As we saw with snakes on a plane , a movie can be overhyped and then end up disapointing when a little less exposure probably would have benefitted the film. It's a fine line between the right amount of publicity and oversaturation.

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2007, 09:15 PM
True. As we saw with snakes on a plane , a movie can be overhyped and then end up disapointing when a little less exposure probably would have benefitted the film. It's a fine line between the right amount of publicity and oversaturation.
On the lower side of promo, with a film like Diary anyway, would do more to help its chances I'd say.

AcesandEights
19-Jun-2007, 09:58 AM
Am I the only one who is getting bad vibes about Diary? I hope I'm wrong.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 12:15 AM
I think it's gonna be good. I'm excited to see how the master reboots the series. He's starting from scratch. That also implies that he'll continue making them based of this first new one. We might have a new triology on our hands. Hope he does a better job than lucas did. :barf:

Philly_SWAT
21-Jun-2007, 08:35 PM
I am also excited, but do have to wonder what the holdup is. Seems to me that it would kind of suck if it ends up as a direct-to-video release. Not that the film itself would suck, but that it would such for GAR.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 11:36 PM
I am also excited, but do have to wonder what the holdup is. Seems to me that it would kind of suck if it ends up as a direct-to-video release. Not that the film itself would suck, but that it would such for GAR.

I just want Gar to get a big payday of atleast on of his zombie films. I mean he's gotten ass raped at every turn. It's just not right.:mad: Everybody has made money off of it but him. It seems to me that he might just be waiting for the right time so he can make his money. I don't think anyone here can fault him for that considering what he's been through. He should be much richer than he is considering the impact his films have had on the movie industry and pop culture in general.

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2007, 11:01 AM
Although I remember hearing him say, in a round-abouts kinda way, that he got paid a boat load of money to write Resident Evil, but then the script wasn't even used, and that's happened a few times, right a script, get paid, but then it's not actually filmed.

I think he might be kinda modest about his earnings, I doubt he's on the bread line. He'll be comfortable, but not dripping with cash like other directors, but if he's happy with where he is, then good enough I say.

panic
22-Jun-2007, 11:54 AM
Nope Aces, I have a funny feeling as well. I hope I'm wrong, but...

Am I the only one who is getting bad vibes about Diary? I hope I'm wrong.

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 12:15 PM
Although I remember hearing him say, in a round-abouts kinda way, that he got paid a boat load of money to write Resident Evil, but then the script wasn't even used, and that's happened a few times, right a script, get paid, but then it's not actually filmed.

I think he might be kinda modest about his earnings, I doubt he's on the bread line. He'll be comfortable, but not dripping with cash like other directors, but if he's happy with where he is, then good enough I say.

I'm just still miffed about the fact that NOTLD is, one of the iconic movies of all time, has been cashed in on by almost everybody but him. Don't even get me started on Rubenstein. :mad: