PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Fulci's City of the Dead?

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 12:01 AM
I was flipping through you tube and came across a trailer for it and was wondering if anyone's seen it? It looks pretty old but is it any good? Is it only in Italian?

darth los
29-May-2007, 01:01 AM
No, but i have seen another film of his called zombie, which was decent. Going by other italian horror films i've seen, mostly by argento, it's probably teeming with over the top gore and a cheesy Eurofunk soundtrack. :p

kidgloves
29-May-2007, 05:54 PM
City of the Living dead is sat on my shelf but i haven't seen it for years. From memory it is a gorefest as darth los says but a very slow moving gorefest. The back cover says a cross between Reanimator and NOTLD.

MontagMOI
29-May-2007, 06:15 PM
Fulci made a quartet of zombie films in the late 70s early 80s: Zombie (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters) -1979, City Of The Living Dead - 1980, The Beyond - 1981 and House By The Cemetary - 1981.
City Of The Living Dead has a great atmosphere and some quite excessive gore (Girl pukes up intestines, man has industrial drill shoved through his head etc.) but like a lot of Italian zombie films from that time, City is quite an acquired taste. I think COTLD is great fun but some may see it as dreary, badly acted, poorly dubbed eurocrap. :D

Cody
29-May-2007, 10:49 PM
grr I want to see this movie bad

darth los
29-May-2007, 11:02 PM
I think you're just a closet fan of Eurofunk...ADMIT IT!!! ... lol j/k:p

capncnut
05-Jun-2007, 05:52 AM
I was flipping through you tube and came across a trailer for it and was wondering if anyone's seen it? It looks pretty old but is it any good? Is it only in Italian?
Again more Marmite madness from Fulci. I actually like this movie, not only is the ambience/atmosphere utterly chilling but there's some brilliant gore scenes (trust me, you wont ever eat spaghetti again :lol:). As for the language, I think there's an English dub option. Get a bottle of wine and rent it, it's aiiight.

MissJacksonCA
05-Jun-2007, 05:53 AM
after his story about the leftovers i'll never eat spagetti again ...it scared me... whenever i think it tastes funny i add cheese =(

JohnoftheDead
05-Jun-2007, 12:21 PM
This film was AKA "The Gates of Hell", so if you've seen the Gates of Hell, you've seen COTLD. I really enjoyed this movie, I watched it alone in the dark when I was far too young to be watching it, so it holds a special place in my heart. I searched for this movie for years before it ever surfaced in stores. I had to special order it on VHS & payed WAY TOO MUCH for real bad quality & of course it became available in later years on DVD. Anyways, the gut puking scene is classic & should be seen by anyone who considers themself a horror/gore fan

_liam_
05-Jun-2007, 12:58 PM
ive got this movie. the one where the priest hangs himself. the ouija board stuff.

i thought it was a load of f***ing crap myself :lol: got nothing on zombie flesh eaters/zombie/zombi 2/whatever it's called.
nice atmosphere though.

EvilNed
05-Jun-2007, 12:59 PM
It sucks. It's nothing like any other italian films, so I don't see why anyone who likes italian zombies, like me, should enjoy this. Because this one just plain out sucks. It doesn't have a plot, it's just a bunch of scenes loosely cut together with the same characters doing something.

There is ONE scary scene in the film, but it doesn't go anywhere so even that is a letdown.

MissJacksonCA
05-Jun-2007, 06:26 PM
I did like that house by the cemetary... and i did enjoy zombi 3 so this will prolly not be too bad

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 12:32 AM
This film was AKA "The Gates of Hell", so if you've seen the Gates of Hell, you've seen COTLD. I really enjoyed this movie, I watched it alone in the dark when I was far too young to be watching it, so it holds a special place in my heart. I searched for this movie for years before it ever surfaced in stores. I had to special order it on VHS & payed WAY TOO MUCH for real bad quality & of course it became available in later years on DVD. Anyways, the gut puking scene is classic & should be seen by anyone who considers themself a horror/gore fan

It's interesting how a film will have different tiltes depending on what region they are released in. Anybody know the reason as to why they do this?:confused:

MissJacksonCA
06-Jun-2007, 12:42 AM
I know some movies have different names because they start with a working title and due to other movies coming out at the same time they try to differentiate it from being assosciated with those movies. Or sometimes something happens in the world and a movie title might be associated with that incident and looked upon poorly. Like Derailed was origionally going to be called sideswiped but was later changed to Derailed (no idea why the change) but then there was a commuter train accident and they tried to change it unsuccessfully.

Other movies especially foreign films have one name in Europe and another name in the states due to translational issues.

Also Known As (AKA)
City of the Living Dead International (English title)
Fear in the City of the Living Dead International (literal title) (English title)
Frayeurs France
Jigoku no kado Japan (video title)
Leiche hängt am Glockenseil, Eine West Germany (video title)
Miedo en la ciudad de los muertos vivientos Spain
Pater Thomas Europe (bootleg title)
Pavor na Cidade dos Zumbis Brazil
Puertas del infierno, Las Argentina
Staden med levande döda Sweden
Stadt der lebenden Toten, Die West Germany (bootleg title)
The Gates of Hell USA
Toter hing am Glockenseil, Ein West Germany (censored version)
Zombie hing am Glockenseil, Ein West Germany

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 12:53 AM
I guess that's as good an explanation as any. Thnx for the insight. :D

coma
06-Jun-2007, 03:15 AM
Lame and Boring. Make a good 15 minute clip with all the grat gore. The Music was good too (I love giallo music), but Gates of hell is a fat turd. I saw it in a theatre in its original release and found it lacking. Tried to watch it a couiple months a go and spent half of it on fast foward looking for the spaghetti scene. Fulci pretty much almost always totally sucked and was always not very good. His FX guys were super kick ass though.

The GAR zombie formula is awesome,. Why they gotta **** it up with mystical crapola?!?!?!

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 03:27 AM
Because, inexplicably, they feel they have to explain the genesis of the plauge. They think that we're too dumb and must be spoonfed.

coma
06-Jun-2007, 02:16 PM
Because, inexplicably, they feel they have to explain the genesis of the plauge. They think that we're too dumb and must be spoonfed.
Ha!

here was this Video store that I loved in the mid 90s. The owners basically pooled thier exploitation Collections and opened a store. It rocked. I asked them which was the best fulci film.
One responded
"Thats like asking which is the better piece of sh!t to eat":lol::lol:

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 05:44 PM
Damn, I was eating dude ! lol :barf:

DEAD BEAT
06-Jun-2007, 06:03 PM
Id have to say if you get constapated and have no ex-lax in the house or you can't drive to your local Taco Bell...you can always trust a Fulci film to do the trick "zombie fans tested..zombie fans approved"!:D

"Also comes with its own toliet paper"!
(Use The Sleeve)

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 06:11 PM
That's worse than using newspaper to do the job!!! lol

DEAD BEAT
06-Jun-2007, 08:17 PM
That's worse than using newspaper to do the job!!! lol

Did i mention if you keep the dvd box open in an L shape with the disc holder on the bottom "wha la" instant porta pottie! lol
:D

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 08:32 PM
When do you think that someone will be in such a predicament that they would have to try that? The farthest thing from my can are my dvd's. Unless it was pre-meditated!?! :eek:

Doc Foster
06-Jun-2007, 08:43 PM
The real horror of this film lies in the dialogue dubbing of the German-language version, which is unreal to say the least. But it sucks as a whole anyway.

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 09:29 PM
And we thought they couldn't make it scarier.:rolleyes:

DEAD BEAT
06-Jun-2007, 10:14 PM
When do you think that someone will be in such a predicament that they would have to try that? The farthest thing from my can are my dvd's. Unless it was pre-meditated!?! :eek:

In the case of this movie..."EXACTLY"!!!!;)

"And as seen on t.v." if you act now the dvd itself can be used as an all purpose cock ring when your gettin it on with that special someone! :cool:

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 10:54 PM
In my case they would have to make the hole in the dvd significantly larger. :p A"special" edition if you will. :D

DEAD BEAT
07-Jun-2007, 05:08 AM
In my case they would have to make the hole in the dvd significantly larger. :p A"special" edition if you will. :D

ha ha ha! If its anything like Dawns ultimate 4 disc box set you can invite over a few friends! lol

:D

Wantaghzombie
17-Jun-2007, 03:41 AM
Love that movie!!!! Drill scene or the intestine scene was the best! EEEEWWWWW!:hurl:

jdog
17-Jun-2007, 03:20 PM
i dont mind this movie, some good gore but the story eats ass. if your looking to pick this up blue underground has just re-realesed it. if you like wired zombie movies pick this one up, you will enjoy it.

darth los
17-Jun-2007, 03:59 PM
From the reviews you guys are giving this film it sounds as if all i need to see is a 10 minute gore highlight reel. Seems to be its only redeeming quality.

MissJacksonCA
17-Jun-2007, 06:40 PM
I read they made the chick who vomited intestines or something actually swallow lambs intestines and vomit them up....

you couldnt pay me to do that

darth los
17-Jun-2007, 09:45 PM
If that's true then that's real dedication to your craft. No paycheck is worth that. :eek:

MissJacksonCA
17-Jun-2007, 10:46 PM
The intestine-vomiting scene was accomplished by having the actress swallow still-warm sheep entrails, then regurgitate them on camera. In extreme closeups of guts flying out of her mouth a fake head was used.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0081318/trivia

darth los
17-Jun-2007, 10:53 PM
That's freakin' awesome!! That's what i'm talking about !! Who needs cgi when you have stuff like that? Now if i could find a woman with that kind of lack of gag reflex i'd marry her. :D

MissJacksonCA
17-Jun-2007, 11:03 PM
If I was put into her position i'd make like Fran from Dawn of the Dead and be like HELL NO AND NEVER ASK ME TO DO THAT AGAIN (when GAR asked her to scream and she refused to play a weak character) ...you gotta draw the line somewhere for your dignity

darth los
17-Jun-2007, 11:20 PM
If I was put into her position i'd make like Fran from Dawn of the Dead and be like HELL NO AND NEVER ASK ME TO DO THAT AGAIN (when GAR asked her to scream and she refused to play a weak character) ...you gotta draw the line somewhere for your dignity

That's definitely true and not alot of people know about that. But is her just indecisively standing there while one zed is attacking her man and another is closing in on her make her look any less weak or dependent on someone elses protection? I think that scene turned out to be a compromise between the extemes that both she and gar wanted. I think this is a stand she took because of the independent/strong woman movemen tthat was happening at the time. I would have definitely been at those bra burning bonfires.

RustyHicks
25-Jun-2007, 06:33 PM
I haven't seen City of the dead yet, but I don't think I want to waste my time. I watched Zombi2, or something like that by Fuci and thought it was kind of boring. I guess I had been too spoiled by watching Dawn and getting a fast, to the point story line that I couldn't wait for this movie to start moving along. I ended up returning it to the video store and never even watched the whole thing.

MontagMOI
25-Jun-2007, 07:03 PM
I read they made the chick who vomited intestines or something actually swallow lambs intestines and vomit them up....

I have met the guy that sits next to her when she chucks up. His name is Michelle Soavi. He became a director himself and directed Dellamorte Dellamore (and a few other films) as well as being an occasional actor and second unit director.
He was really nice but spoke hardly any English.
Oh, and he still had the back of his head intact :D :D :D

"Loo loo loo I got some apples, loo loo loo you got some too"

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 07:22 PM
I haven't seen City of the dead yet, but I don't think I want to waste my time. I watched Zombi2, or something like that by Fuci and thought it was kind of boring. I guess I had been too spoiled by watching Dawn and getting a fast, to the point story line that I couldn't wait for this movie to start moving along. I ended up returning it to the video store and never even watched the whole thing.

Finally someone else who thinks that film is boring !! It had it's moments but when you're used to the master's work (gar) everything else pales in comparison.

capncnut
25-Jun-2007, 08:23 PM
I have met the guy that sits next to her when she chucks up. His name is Michelle Soavi. He became a director himself and directed Dellamorte Dellamore (and a few other films) as well as being an occasional actor and second unit director.
I respect that guy, Dellamorte was excellent. :thumbsup: