PDA

View Full Version : ROTLD... why does everyone despise it so?

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 04:59 AM
Just curious... I really enjoyed it even if it wasn't a GAR movie and even if there was some zombie speaking ability discrepancy and such... but I felt they did an awesome job turning the toxin into a character by following the poison gas... and there was some character development... and James Karen rocks. I also liked the hidden things... like the eye chart and such. I felt it was a quality movie for what it was, a zombie flick.

darth los
29-May-2007, 05:28 AM
Just curious... I really enjoyed it even if it wasn't a GAR movie and even if there was some zombie speaking ability discrepancy and such... but I felt they did an awesome job turning the toxin into a character by following the poison gas... and there was some character development... and James Karen rocks. I also liked the hidden things... like the eye chart and such. I felt it was a quality movie for what it was, a zombie flick.

I personally don't know anybody who doesn't like this film. It's actually 4th in my top 5. Yeah the eye chart is some good hidden trivia.( Burt is a slavedriver) Another one is that spider is actually Puerto Rican not black. His real name is Miguel. What really scared me though is that for all intents and purposes they couldn't be killed, they ate brains and could talk. (See GAR intelligent zombies can be scary if done right).:p This is also, if i'm not mistaken, the debut of the runner. What i also liked is that they were not afraid to depart from a proven formula, which GAR set, and still made a scary, fun movie. One could say that they were pretty evoled for the zombie concept but they still retained a sort of primitive savageness and definitely could not be reasoned with. Just handling one of them was a handfull ( trying to contain a zombified freddy, for example) I agree with you and I would say it's a very high quality movie. Think about all the zombie flicks that have been made. I'd only feel confident in saying that the original dead trilogy are definitively better films and rank higher than them, any other ones are up for debate in terms of ranking them imo. I can't explain it. For all it's cheesiness i love it.

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 05:35 AM
I had to put Thom in there just cos I dig him so... I also enjoyed ROTLD 2 or as I like to call it ROTROTLD which was purely comedic but done in such a tacky way. But ROTLD was great. I found that the characters grew and were likeable even if they were scary looking. Spider was pretty cool. But...

nobody beats the Tarman!

darth los
29-May-2007, 05:40 AM
Not even the midget zombie by the ambulance !?! I think he stole the show personally. I would have pegged you for a naked frezzer zombie sort of girl. jk :p

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 05:44 AM
he was a bit too paunchy...that could go for midget man too but he was just too short i like a zombie i can look upto...

they were smart zombies too as i'm thinking about it... the whole 'send more cops' was great

and at the end when linnea turned into a zombie and ate that guys head it looked like a tribute to night rider that vampire movie... because it was like her whole head split open sort of to eat him...

darth los
29-May-2007, 05:50 AM
he was a bit too paunchy...that could go for midget man too but he was just too short i like a zombie i can look upto...

they were smart zombies too as i'm thinking about it... the whole 'send more cops' was great

and at the end when linnea turned into a zombie and ate that guys head it looked like a tribute to night rider that vampire movie... because it was like her whole head split open sort of to eat him...

He was a tad jaundiced now that you mentioned it. lol :lol: That was actually a mask that they made when trash bit the cop. You can actually tell if you freeze frame your way through the scene. The scariest scene in the movie for me is when the paramedic jumped into the cab, closed the door and flipped on the headlights to reveal a mob of zombies ready to push his wig back. I know he shat on himself.:elol:

EvilNed
29-May-2007, 05:04 PM
This is not the debut of the runner. Nightmare City was before it, and there's a double feature from the 70's (Impossible to find these days) that allegedly featured running zombies.

Some may argue that the zombies in Nightmare City are not undead. But it's still a zombiefilm.

I like ROTLD. I think the only one on these boards who doesn't have any taste is bassman.

darth los
29-May-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Good stuff. See what happens when we put our minds together at the site? Nothing is impossible. We could take over the world !!!:evil:

MontagMOI
29-May-2007, 06:23 PM
Return Of The Living Dead is probably one of the few horror/comedies that really works (Some of the cast are superb), unfortunately, it spawned the reprehensible ROTLD2 and, despite its so-called 'cult' status; the lame ROTLD3. But then i must be stupid because i still wasted 90 minutes on ROTLD 4 :clown:

bassman
29-May-2007, 06:27 PM
I like ROTLD. I think the only one on these boards who doesn't have any taste is bassman.

So I don't have any taste because I don't share the same opinion as you?:rockbrow:

:rolleyes:

Cody
29-May-2007, 10:49 PM
I love rotld. great movie.

Danny
29-May-2007, 11:12 PM
lvoe the first two, there up there with the breakfast club, bill adn ted and the like as perfect nostalgia flicks of the time.

darth los
30-May-2007, 12:13 AM
It has elements of seriousness as well. I think the part where tina and Ernie are holed up in the attic hiding from freddy gives a dark glimpse into the human psyche. Him being hurt the way he was and armed with the knowledge that for all intents and purposes these things could not be killed, if you watch the scene, there's no doubt in my mind that he was going to shoot her. Now whether it was to spare her suffering is up for debate,but profound stuff never the less.

Eyebiter
30-May-2007, 12:20 AM
Send more paramedics!

Philly_SWAT
30-May-2007, 12:27 AM
I think that most everyone on this board does in fact like ROTLD. Most serious film fans wouldnt put in anywhere near the level of GAR's films, however, I dont think that ROTLD even attempts to be at that level. It is what it is, and comes off as both funny and entertaining. Plus that is full frontal nudity, so thats always a plus! :)

darth los
30-May-2007, 12:33 AM
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I can't name 3 better zombie films, can you? ( besides the original dead trilogy of course)

Mutineer
30-May-2007, 01:04 AM
The ROTLD is EPIC

acealive1
30-May-2007, 01:23 AM
i dont despise it at all. anything for the zombie genre is good. no matter if its comedy or what. i like change and i dont like all zed movies being the same

GET THAT DAMN SCREWDRIVER OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsR3j1R6wmU

jim102016
30-May-2007, 01:32 AM
I suppose that I "don't have any taste either", Bassman. I dislike the movies because the dead do talk and can't be killed...and only eat brains! (Why waste the rest of the body?)

Philly has a good point though...you can never beat full frontal nudity. As long as its an attractive woman of course.

EvilNed
30-May-2007, 03:13 PM
So I don't have any taste because I don't share the same opinion as you?:rockbrow:

Yeah.

DVW5150
30-May-2007, 03:54 PM
I had a friend that claimed he was the black sludge/chemical drum zed that had the famous line," More Brains!". Of course it wasnt his voice, that being added later by another actor.He also said he was the facial model for the zed on the one sheet to hang in theater lobbys.The one that is spray painting the tombstone. It really looked like him, aside from the rotting of course.Jimm Altman , great songwriter/musician... He died in 1995 ... RIP.:( Wait a minute, nah I wont go there, its in poor taste.

I would put ROTLD within my top ten favorites of the tradition.

Thats a good question Burt .

bassman
30-May-2007, 03:55 PM
Cool kid.

“New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common.” - John Locke

EvilNed
30-May-2007, 06:39 PM
Why are you so grouchy? Just because someone says "man, you don't like that film, you have bad taste" doesn't mean you get all depressed and John Locke quoting...

Cheer up, man. I think most people realize that taste is personal to each person.

And that you have none...

bassman
30-May-2007, 07:08 PM
Grouchy? Depressed? Nope.

Just saying that because I don't like a film doesn't mean I have bad taste in general. And for one to think so narrow-mindedly is a bit childish.

I hadn't even posted in this thread and you took a cheap shot. Just leave me out of it unless I contribute. Thanks.

EvilNed
30-May-2007, 07:16 PM
Just saying that because I don't like a film doesn't mean I have bad taste in general. And for one to think so narrow-mindedly is a bit childish.

Well, duuh.

Someone's not in a happy mood today.

MontagMOI
30-May-2007, 08:38 PM
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I can't name 3 better zombie films, can you? ( besides the original dead trilogy of course)

Well, with the possible exception of ROTLD1, yes: The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue, House By The Cemetary, The Beyond, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Nightmare City, Dead And Buried, ReAnimator, City Of The Living Dead, The Evil Dead, The Blind Dead, Evil Dead 2, Ghost Galleon, Return Of The Evil Dead, Night Of The Seagulls, Zombie Creeping Flesh, Shaun Of The Dead and the Resident Evil films :p

bassman
30-May-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, duuh.

Someone's not in a happy mood today.

Why do you keep suggesting that I'm angry, anyway? I'm just defending my opinion That I didn't find ROTLD as great as everyone else seems to think(and that doesn't mean I have bad taste;) ). It was way too cheesey and over the top for my liking. Then again....I VERY rarely like any other zombie film outside of Romero's universe. The only one that comes close is "28 Days" and we all know they're really not zombies.

I tried to like ROTLD....I did. I was just laughing way to hard AT the movie rather than laughing WITH the movie. I understand that it has that whole campy, nastalgia thing going on but I just wasn't digging it. And I love "Grindhouse" so it's kind of confusing really.

I guess it just wasn't my cup o tea.

darth los
30-May-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, with the possible exception of ROTLD1, yes: The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue, House By The Cemetary, The Beyond, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Nightmare City, Dead And Buried, ReAnimator, City Of The Living Dead, The Evil Dead, The Blind Dead, Evil Dead 2, Ghost Galleon, Return Of The Evil Dead, Night Of The Seagulls, Zombie Creeping Flesh, Shaun Of The Dead and the Resident Evil films :p

All of those are subject to you're opinion. I'd would even argue that a few of those don't even qualify as zombie films in the traditional sense. I mentioned the original dead trilogy because for all intents and purposes there's no debate that those are better films than ROTLD. I don't think that there's anyone here that would disagree with that. As to the films you mentioned, well?.....:rolleyes:

Cody
31-May-2007, 02:07 AM
1 and 3 are the best 2 sucks.

creepntom
31-May-2007, 02:53 AM
only good thing about the first one is Linnea Quigley nude on a tombstone

screw the rest of the movie, & the series for that matter

Cody
31-May-2007, 03:03 AM
*gasp*

Mutineer
31-May-2007, 03:12 AM
Return is all nostalgia for me and everything that is good in filmmaking and movies

over the top dialogue, killer soundtrack, perfectly constructed storyline, wonderful B List actors getting leads ...

I watch this film atleast 3 times a year (along with some other go to films; JAWS, Cop Land, et al ...) and just laugh outloud at each characters reactions during the scenes

Dan O Bannon is a great writer and it was good to see him get to helm a project for the first time. I hope everyone here watched it in Widescreen to really enjoy it.

darth los
31-May-2007, 03:26 AM
Now that i think about all the other ones, ROTLD does have one of the better zombie film Soundtracks.

MontagMOI
31-May-2007, 09:42 AM
All of those are subject to you're opinion... As to the films you mentioned, well?.....:rolleyes:

Of course it's my opinion. Thats what this is about: opinions. So you are not a fan of zombie films? And what films are NOT zombie films? Fair enough Nightmare City isn't a living dead film but what else isn't? I am only responding to your request to name 3 better zombie films. :dead:

JohnoftheDead
31-May-2007, 12:18 PM
I do really enjoy ROTLD, my real problem with this film however is that it was sort of marketed as a follow up to Romero's films, & it also played a large part in the overall failure of Day of the Dead since they were released within a month of eachother.

darth los
31-May-2007, 05:56 PM
Of course it's my opinion. Thats what this is about: opinions. So you are not a fan of zombie films? And what films are NOT zombie films? Fair enough Nightmare City isn't a living dead film but what else isn't? I am only responding to your request to name 3 better zombie films. :dead:

They are only better in your opinion, not definitively like the original dead trilogy. I think you have a hell of a time getting the people on this forum to reach a consensus that any 3 of those films on your list are hands down better than ROTLD.

P.S. The evil dead are not zombies, they're people who are possessed. :D

sgrosse
31-May-2007, 06:16 PM
this was actually the first Zombie movie that I ever saw. I saw it back in like 89 or something to that effect. I remember being nine years old and it scaring me alot. After that, it was on as far as zombie movies are concerned. Couldnt stand the second or third movie, but I did enjoy the fourth and fifth ones that came out on the Scifi channel.

darth los
31-May-2007, 07:14 PM
but I did enjoy the fourth and fifth ones that came out on the Scifi channel.

seriously?...:eek: :eek: Really?:eek:

sgrosse
31-May-2007, 07:22 PM
seriously?...:eek: :eek: Really?:eek:

Hey before yall start throwing stones at me, I said I enjoyed them.:cool: Meaning that compared to the second and third ones I enjoyed them.

darth los
31-May-2007, 07:24 PM
I'd never knock someone for they're opinion, you're entitled to that and it should be respected. That's real kindergarten sh1t. I was just taken aback because I never heard of anybody liking those films. I thought it was an attempt at humor.:D

sgrosse
31-May-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd never knock someone for they're opinion, you're entitled to that and it should be respected. That's real kindergarten sh1t. I was just taken aback because I never heard of anybody liking those films. I thought it was an attempt at humor.:D

Naw, I wasnt joking, but judging from what I have seen on this board concerning those two particular remakes, I can see why you would think that. Its just that, I cant express how much I hate the second and third ROTLD films. At least not in words. So when I saw those two, I thought, well, its better than the second and third movies. Of course to some thats like saying "After being shot in the gut, and then being shot in the face, being stabbed wasnt so bad"

darth los
31-May-2007, 08:59 PM
Interesting reasoning. lol I too was disapointed in the second. People have to remember, if you're going to do a sequel and pretty much tread over the same ground as the original you have to push the envelope, go above and beyond, do everything that the previous film did only better. Part 2 failed to deliver in those catagories.

DEAD BEAT
31-May-2007, 09:50 PM
Now that i think about all the other ones, ROTLD does have one of the better zombie film Soundtracks.

Dude no doubt the best zombie film soundtrack excellent punk and rock bands on that score!
:D

darth los
31-May-2007, 10:07 PM
Do you have any idea where i can get them? :confused:

Cody
31-May-2007, 11:20 PM
sgrosse you really are gross if you liked 4 & 5. those things will give you cancer

MontagMOI
01-Jun-2007, 09:35 AM
They are only better in your opinion

Yes thats right. I am giving my opinion. Thats what i said. I never claimed to give others' opinions.

I think you have a hell of a time getting the people on this forum to reach a consensus that any 3 of those films on your list are hands down better than ROTLD

I'm not getting anyone to do anything. I was just voicing my opinion. How many on that list have you actually seen? Do you actually like zombie films apart from the Dead trilogy and ROTLD series?

P.S. The evil dead are not zombies, they're people who are possessed. :D

So when the characters die and come back to life they are not the living dead? I only ever set out to give my opinion, why are you so determined to have a fight because i dont agree with you?:skull:

darth los
01-Jun-2007, 11:07 PM
I doubt you'll find anything i wrote that was provoking or challenging you to a fight. We're adults, i think, and i'm offering a different view. You make a point i make a counter point. It's called banter. We should be able to express things back and forth without it getting personal. If you're not able to do that then fine, i'll drop it. Also, Yes i do love all kinds of zombie films besides romero's although his are the best ( fact) .

Tied2thetracks
02-Jun-2007, 05:38 PM

Someone just finished listening to some commentary.

ROTLD was my 1st favorite zombie movie. There is decent comedy in it and a good story line.

MontagMOI
02-Jun-2007, 06:57 PM
We should be able to express things back and forth without it getting personal. If you're not able to do that then fine, i'll drop it. Also, Yes i do love all kinds of zombie films besides romero's although his are the best ( fact) .

That's cool. There's no static here. :D
And i do know what banter is, thanks. :p

darth los
02-Jun-2007, 07:07 PM
It's cool here too. I look forwrd to many more spirited debates in the future. This place was gettind too "DEAD" anyway.

MissJacksonCA
02-Jun-2007, 07:14 PM
I noticed the eye chart before I ever heard the commentary. I'm always looking for movie goofs and bloopers. What I didn't know was that Freddies jacket said F**K You

darth los
02-Jun-2007, 10:10 PM
Commentary assisted trivia !!:eek: Say it ain't so!!:( j/k

Mutineer
03-Jun-2007, 12:30 AM
The commentary on the disc is pretty good; lots of insightful info

capncnut
05-Jun-2007, 07:07 AM
I have no idea why people don't like ROTLD, I have always found it a pleasure to watch. Frank and Freddy are awesome! :D

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 02:06 AM
I have no idea why people don't like ROTLD, I have always found it a pleasure to watch. Frank and Freddy are awesome! :D

I found that statement funny myself. It implies that the general consensus is that people hate this film. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't atleast like it.

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 10:56 AM
It's been the opposite for me Darth. 80% of the folks I know think it's frothing s**t! :confused:

Dawg
07-Jun-2007, 11:26 AM
Not even the midget zombie by the ambulance !?! I think he stole the show personally. I would have pegged you for a naked frezzer zombie sort of girl. jk :p

It would have been a dwarf or little person, not a midget, but I believe that the zombie was actually suppose to be a full-sized person with his legs cut off even though a little person played the part. Could be wrong though, I need to pause it and see.

:dead: Dawg

ash
07-Jun-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm of the same oppinion. I hate it when people think that ALL zombie movies have to be 100% serious and true to GAR. Shut up and laugh, man. ROTLD is ****ing hilarious, and it's got the collest mother****ing zombie since the Helicopter Zed from Dawn '78, Tar Man.

bassman
07-Jun-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm of the same oppinion. I hate it when people think that ALL zombie movies have to be 100% serious and true to GAR. Shut up and laugh, man. ROTLD is ****ing hilarious, and it's got the collest mother****ing zombie since the Helicopter Zed from Dawn '78, Tar Man.

It's not that I think all zombie films have to be true to Romero. ROTLD just wasn't funny and a horribly put together film, imo.

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 12:47 PM
It would have been a dwarf or little person, not a midget, but I believe that the zombie was actually suppose to be a full-sized person with his legs cut off even though a little person played the part. Could be wrong though, I need to pause it and see.

Thanks for pointing that out. It was insensitive of me and i apologize.:D

You think it's the water over there?:p

MontagMOI
07-Jun-2007, 01:08 PM

I think it was an amputee. :confused:

coma
07-Jun-2007, 03:54 PM
I dont despise ROTLD, I thought it was pretty cool when it came out. Fun and funny, great characters, cool soundtrack, great FX and The naked Punk Chick. I even like R2, even though its really a remake of I. 3 is bad, but I like it anyway. Though I despise that "Brains" is associated with GAR when it has nothing to do with him. I hat having to say "No, the one ion the mall from the 70s". now I have to add "No, dammit, the ORIGINAL from the ****ing sventies!!"

So that I despise:). The director commentary on the ROTLD DVD is very good and enlightening as to why all the differences between O'Bannons zombies and GARS. That association is what he was trying to avoid, ironically.

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 10:20 PM
I think it was an amputee. :confused:

Upon further scrutiny(slowing the dvd down) it seems as if he is indeed an amputee. I looked at his feet and they were just stumps. His being an amputee in the film (it's not clear whether he's one in real life) is further backed up by the fact that he is also missing his right arm. Good eye guys. :D

Tied2thetracks
08-Jun-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey before yall start throwing stones at me, I said I enjoyed them.:cool: Meaning that compared to the second and third ones I enjoyed them.

I enjoyed 4 and 5. I went in with zero expectations and they delivered. They were pure cheese and I am fine with that. The original is in my top 3 dead films, yes, it beats out DAY. It had a great story, geat gags, and for the most part great performances. I loved teh trioxin, teh split dogs, the half lady, the brains, send more cops, tar man, and the orgin of the tanks, and the tanks themselves.

great movie, with a few ties NOTLD JR an RR.

darth los
08-Jun-2007, 11:47 PM
I like the fact that they mentioned night of the living dead. If anything we can thank the makers of this film for purchasing the rights to the name which was originally supposed to be the sequel to NOTLD penned by none other than John "If it wasn't for Gar i'd be a bum" Russo. If you ever read the book it was god awful and a much darker rehash of NOTLD. Just take a look of the horror that is NOTLD 30th anniversary edition for a taste of the havoc that russo is capable of causing. The makers of ROTLD said that they didn't want to disrespect GAR by ripping off his idea, so they wanted to do their own thing, thus the running, speaking, brain eating zombies in the film. If only russo had done the same.

babomb
20-Jan-2011, 11:13 PM
ROTLD pt1 is one of my top 3 zombie flicks.
I've loved it since I was like 7 or 8.
That and the Thriller video is what started me on zombies.
I can see where return would be more immediately gratifying for an 8 year old. I was too young to appreciate things like social commentary and those aspects that really make the original dawn and day what they are. I just liked the fast pace, the atmosphere, the gore. I liked pt2 when it came out too. Just because I was a teenager and it was pt2 to a movie I already loved. I would still watch it but it's nowhere in my top 50.
I saw all the returns and the rest of them suck ass, pt3 actually got a 2nd viewing, but nahhh, bad. Peter Coyote in 4 and 5!?

Bassman, I'm not bashing you or your opinion. You gave it a chance. More than alot of folks would do in that position.
But I think it was just too late, it had already been built up too much for you to allow yourself to like it.

Gryphon
21-Jan-2011, 06:57 AM
I've loved ROTLD and ROTLD 2 since I was a kid... mainly for the soundtracks and the comedy, but now I just think they're fun movies to watch for some lighthearted zombie comedy, and great soundtracks ;)
Receently, Day and Dawn have moved to the top of my favs, but ROTLD and 2 will always be in there somewhere :) Three was... meh... and four/five were....:dead:

We're all entitled to our opinions, and they'll more often than not, be different than someone else's ;)

bassman
21-Jan-2011, 12:23 PM
Whoa. Talk about a blast from the past. A four year old thread....

I was taking it a bit seriously back then. My apologies.

ROTLD is still a pile of shit. :elol:

Wrong Number
21-Jan-2011, 01:42 PM
RotLD is one of my all time favorite zombie movies. You just have to take it in the spirit that it's intended, humor. I feel some people try to take it too serious.

WN

krakenslayer
21-Jan-2011, 01:53 PM
I just didn't find part 1 to be very funny, to be honest. There were a couple of funny lines, but it was mostly just people running around screaming annoyingly at each other. I guess it just didn't suit my sense of humour.

I thought part 2 was funnier, and part 3 was my favourite of the series: it wasn't funny but had some cool gore/action, a cute female lead and genuinely believable, affecting characters in a tragic situation; there's something Shakespearian about it.

Trin
21-Jan-2011, 02:27 PM
I absolutely hated ROTLD. I freely admit it was an expectation problem. Somehow I got it into my head upon renting it that it was a GAR Dead movie taking place sometime after Night, Dawn, Day. So you can see where I got into it and started going WTF?!?

As B-movie trash it is fine. As a zombie movie bearing the "... of the Living Dead" legacy it is awful. Talking, running, flip-flopping zombies that cannot be killed? A big shambling behemoth of a caricature of a zombie?

And I will never forgive it for cementing in people's minds that zombies only want "Brraaaainnnnssss..."

blind2d
21-Jan-2011, 02:31 PM
I absolutely hated ROTLD. I freely admit it was an expectation problem. Somehow I got it into my head upon renting it that it was a GAR Dead movie taking place sometime after Night, Dawn, Day. So you can see where I got into it and started going WTF?!?

As B-movie trash it is fine. As a zombie movie bearing the "... of the Living Dead" legacy it is awful. Talking, running, flip-flopping zombies that cannot be killed? A big shambling behemoth of a caricature of a zombie?

And I will never forgive it for cementing in people's minds that zombies only want "Brraaaainnnnssss..."

Yep. Trin, couldn't agree more. Goddamn brains fixation... Why? I ask you, why? Does it make a lick of sense? I don't think so... what do y'all think? Any logic there at all?

bassman
21-Jan-2011, 02:32 PM
I just didn't find part 1 to be very funny, to be honest. There were a couple of funny lines, but it was mostly just people running around screaming annoyingly at each other. I guess it just didn't suit my sense of humour.

I agree. Fans of ROTLD are always quick to spout out "but it's a comedy!" as if that changes anything. People can dislike comedies too, ya know. If it was intended as a comedy, it's a very poor one. I definitely don't try to take it seriously. I try to get a laugh out of it, but end up laughing AT the movie rather than WITH the movie.

And it's not for a lack of trying. ROTLD is one of my wife's favorite flicks so i've seen it many, many times. Nothing ever really changes. I can see why people like it, but I guess it's just not my thing...

EDIT: Oh yeah....as Trin mentioned - "Brains". That single word ruined the genre for the general public, imo. Turned it all into a parody of itself. Not just for this film, but for all of them.

JonOfTheShred
22-Jan-2011, 09:10 PM
The last time I watched this movie was probably around the time this thread originated. Haven't seen it in years. I watched the 3rd recently, which provided nothing more than high quality eye-candy. But I do recall upon initial viewing of ROTLD thinking it was a pretty damn good movie. I didn't take it seriously, nor did I find any of the intentional humor of it funny, but I can see a few aspects of zombie culture impacted negatively from the movie. (The aforementioned fixation the less educated have on ROTLDs talking zombies and their fixation on brains) The running aspect in ROTLD seemed pretty threatening when I first viewed it.

Andy
23-Jan-2011, 12:20 AM
OK who dug up the 4 year old topic? why i ouaghta... :rockbrow:

Seriously though, ROTLD sucked ass. The first one was ok, then it takes a very sharp downwards turn from there with the second film ranking as one of my personal most hated and it never recovers.

Rancid Carcass
23-Jan-2011, 03:54 PM
OK who dug up the 4 year old topic?

Return of the Living Thread! :thumbsup:

rongravy
23-Jan-2011, 05:41 PM
Seriously though, ROTLD sucked ass. The first one was ok, then it takes a very sharp downwards turn from there with the second film ranking as one of my personal most hated and it never recovers.
I guess part of what I love about the 2nd one is the 80's feel. I miss that nowadays.
I love and own the first 2 ROTLD dvds, strangely own the third(mainly for the hawt ass zombie chick), but the last two just... bleeeecccchhhhhh.

Gryphon
23-Jan-2011, 09:44 PM
I guess part of what I love about the 2nd one is the 80's feel. I miss that nowadays.
I love and own the first 2 ROTLD dvds, strangely own the third(mainly for the hawt ass zombie chick), but the last two just... bleeeecccchhhhhh.

The 2nd DVD sucks. You need to get a bootleg with the theatrical score ;)

DjfunkmasterG
23-Jan-2011, 11:18 PM
The 2nd DVD sucks. You need to get a bootleg with the theatrical score ;)

I just sold my DVD version of ROTLD 2... Warner Brothers is coming out with it on Blu in 2011 with the correct score... and since I have an old 4:3 VHS > DVD transfer Bootleg I can watch when I want to I can see it how I remember it. The WB DVD release in 2004 was terrible.

Gryphon
24-Jan-2011, 05:05 AM
Warner Brothers is coming out with it on Blu in 2011 with the correct score... .

Sweet :) I'll make sure to get that one. I was afraid if it ever came out on Blu it would have the crappy DVD score. Thanks for letting me know that :D

babomb
24-Jan-2011, 09:00 AM
I've noticed for a long time that there are some folks who feel that most other zombie movies outside of the original trilogy somehow take away from the trilogy, especially when there's a departure from gars rules.
I don't see why that is.

I definitely don't try to take it seriously. I try to get a laugh out of it, but end up laughing AT the movie rather than WITH the movie. That's why you don't like it then. Because that's the movies style of humor. You're supposed to laugh AT the movie. It's sort of a pseudo-parody, so is the 2nd one.
Or at least that's how I see it, and that's it's appeal to me now. I started liking it just cuz it was a gory horror movie with zombies and nudity.
But now I "get it" as I think it was intended. As an over the top zombie movie that intentionally breaks the mold when compared to the more serious horror and slasher flicks made in the 80's.
The fact that the zombies only eat brains and cant be killed is not just someones take on zombie lore, it's done that way intentionally to depart from the tradition. The fact that they talk is the same thing. Which also served as something to catch peoples attention in previews and draw them in. And it must've worked otherwise it wouldn't have cemented the idea in peoples minds that zombies only eat brains.
Shaun Of The Dead did the same thing just with a different style of humor.
Nightmare On Elm Street was intentionally created with a boogie man who had flair, in direct contrast to the non-speaking other slashers like Jason and Micheal Myers. To set it apart because the same ol same ol gets old.

It's strange to me that the departure from gars rules presents such a problem to some people. I'm not saying that about only people who dislike ROTLD, I just mean in general.
It's almost like the controversy between the New Testament and the Old Testament.

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 01:11 PM
I believe we have a communication breakdown when it comes to "at the movie" and "with the movie".

blind2d
24-Jan-2011, 02:01 PM
I think what it comes down to is this: people in general are basically dumb. They like catchphrases for everything. Brand recognition. I bet less than 1/3 of people who associate zeds with grey matter gorging have actually seen rotld. the rest just hear it from folks and go "uh, yep! zombies always eatin' them thar brains, I reckon!". Honestly... look, it's not the greatest movie ever, and the creators didn't even think it would do well. just a laugh, really, but wow, four sequels... I don't get it, I honestly don't...

Rancid Carcass
24-Jan-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't get it, I honestly don't...

Watch your tongue boy if you like this job... :p

I bet less than 1/3 of people who associate zeds with grey matter gorging have actually seen rotld. the rest just hear it from folks and go "uh, yep! zombies always eatin' them thar brains, I reckon!"

Actually, I believe the root cause of all this is The Simpsons - every time zombies appear in the show they tend to be the "braaaains" variety - you have Matt Groening to thank for this. Apparently one of his first jobs was writing strap-lines for films and the first film he was hired for was, yes you've guessed it, ROTLD...

babomb
24-Jan-2011, 05:21 PM
I believe we have a communication breakdown when it comes to "at the movie" and "with the movie".
I get it. You think it's a stupid movie. I'm just saying it's supposed to be a stupid movie. And that it's stupidity is its appeal.
I don't think Dan Obannon expected or wanted it to be a modern work of literary art.
But I really think there has to be a reason why some hate it so vehemently. Maybe it's because they happen to take their interest in zombies seriously.
So they have trouble liking something that portrays that interest in a stupid manner. That's what I mean when I say that, I don't mean I think people are taking the movie itself too serious. When you're enthusiastic about something you often take offense to jokes being made in regard to it.

Trin says-As a zombie movie bearing the "... of the Living Dead" legacy it is awful. Talking, running, flip-flopping zombies that cannot be killed? A big shambling behemoth of a caricature of a zombie?
All due respect, but "......of the Living Dead" just means undead, of which there are several variations. Vampires are living dead.
I'm not asking you to justify your opinion here. I'm just curious as to why people think that when the words "living dead" are in a movie title that they all take place within the same "universe"?
I know the premise of it, they're devoted fans of GAR, I just wonder what the internal logic is.

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 05:32 PM
"With the movie" - Intentional. The creators/director intended this result. Whether it be slapstick, banter, irony, or any other type of comedy....it is intended.

"At the movie" - Unintentional. The creators/director did not intend this result. In their attempts to make an intentionally funny film, they failed and created a poorly made feature with laughs existing where laughs were most likely not intended.

That's what I meant. And it's got nothing, absolutely NOTHING, to do with taking it seriously. As I've stated before, comedies can be disliked just as much as any other genre.

Sometimes people dislike films that are generally applauded. I know some people that absolutely loathe Dawn and Day. I disagree with that, but that doesn't make their opinion any less valid or that they "didn't get it".

And just for kicks - I've stated for years that ROTLD has more right to claim itself as a sequel to Night than Dawn does.:p

Trin
24-Jan-2011, 06:34 PM
And just for kicks - I've stated for years that ROTLD has more right to claim itself as a sequel to Night than Dawn does.:p
I've been thinking all through this group of posts that you should find and rehash that argument. It's a damned good one, and a real thinker. And supports why I think ROTLD fails to honor the "... of the Living Dead" name.

DubiousComforts
24-Jan-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm just saying it's supposed to be a stupid movie. And that it's stupidity is its appeal.

What leads you to believe that Return of the Living Dead is supposed to be a stupid movie?

babomb
25-Jan-2011, 05:15 AM
And supports why I think ROTLD fails to honor the "... of the Living Dead" name. What's the criteria required for a movie to *succeed* in honoring this name?
Just asking because like I said, IMO, "......living dead" means undead, not GAR universe or anything like it. There were films with "....living dead" in the title before GAR.

What leads you to believe that Return of the Living Dead is supposed to be a stupid movie?
I hoped someone would ask.
The whole thing! Starting with the idea that GAR got all the facts mixed up in his film, but ROTLD got all the facts right. You got split zombie dogs, James Karen crying like a scared little girl, a zombie that came out of a can of military waste known as the "tar man", the yellow cadavar hangin in the freezer gets burnt and creates a cloud of toxic rain that re-animates the corpses in the cemetary.
Then you got the fact that O'Bannon meant for the movie to be a screwball comedy in the way that Howard Hawks films were, with fast paced garbled dialog that can still be followed, actors tripping on each others lines intentionally.
Watch the movie with the commentary track on.
I'm not quite sure what it is about the movie that some find so incredibly stupid that warrants the idea that the film is just so poorly made that it doesn't deserve to be called a film at all. I've never seen a film in my life that left me with that impression. It's that kind of extreme dislike that fuels my belief that there's something else making people hate it.
What I think is going on is we have people who take their *love of the zombie genre* too seriously. I don't think anyone is trying to take the film ROTLD seriously. But when you love something as much as many of us love zombies, something that paints that subject matter in a stupid light is very often taken offensively, or at the least disliked.
I realize everyone knows it's a comedy, and the idea that I think people are trying to watch it on a serious note is a misunderstanding. The seriousness I talk about refers to peoples enthusiasm of the zombie genre as a whole.
One of Trins comments illustrates this:

And I will never forgive it for cementing in people's minds that zombies only want "Brraaaainnnnssss..." What I don't understand is why that would even be a concern? I'm a huge zombie fan. If other people think zombies only eat brains is of absolutely no concern to me whatsoever. What I think this comment means is that Trin himself can't forgive ROTLD for making his favorite genre of film, that he's enthusiastic about, look stupid to everyone else.
It's the same reason that hardcore Star Wars fans hated Spaceballs.
I've always loved Star Wars, but I also liked Spaceballs.
Was it a shining example of a well put together film? No.
It was just a funny parody of a film and I liked how they poked fun at star wars and sci-fi films in general. It didn't take away from my love of star wars, even when everyone at school was saying "I see your schwartz is as big as mine".

Now I'd just like to ask those who hated ROTLD what it was about it that made them think it wasn't worthy of being called a film at all?

bassman
25-Jan-2011, 12:48 PM
I wonder if I can find that old "Reasons" list of mine. :elol: :sneaky:

:lol:

Jamn
25-Jan-2011, 02:08 PM
I remember watching this movie on late night cable as a child and thought it was hilarious when they all left Spider holding the door for Tarman. The two guys were named Burt and Ernie(that is funny to a kid). I also remember my friends and I debating if it were real could we hold them off. The ROTLD zombies- NO. The NOTLD zombies- maybe yes. Plus the nudity parts, we were not supposed to be watching those kind of movies. I agree if this movie was made today I would most likely hate it, but I caught it as a kid and I still watch it when it comes on cable uncut. My wife hates that I watch it because when she was a child she was sheltered and was not allowed to watch any horror movies. Previews of horror movies scare her.

Trin
25-Jan-2011, 08:29 PM
Just asking because like I said, IMO, "......living dead" means undead, not GAR universe or anything like it. There were films with "....living dead" in the title before GAR.
Russo retained the rights to use the "Living Dead" title in his movies when he and GAR split, and Return is an adaptation of a Russo book by the same name. So it's not like this is just some guy making some movie and using the term "Living Dead" in it.

And seriously..
Night of the Living Dead - 1968
Dawn of the Dead - 1978
Day of the Dead - 1985
Return of the Living Dead - 1985

I'm not sure why I have to connect the dots for you here. It seems reasonable that a person would assume a zombie movie coming out at that time named "Return of the Living Dead" would be related to the series, if not a direct continuation.

What's the criteria required for a movie to *succeed* in honoring this name?
Not sure, but making a B-movie horror/comedy as a sequel to a horror classic fails.

What I think this comment means is that Trin himself can't forgive ROTLD for making his favorite genre of film, that he's enthusiastic about, look stupid to everyone else.
Um, the zombie genre looks stupid to everyone else without ROTLD getting involved.

Your Star Wars/Space Balls analogy is flawed because ROTLD isn't a parady of zombie movies and most people that say "Braaainns" have never seen a GAR movie. I loved Shaun of the Dead, which was a proper parody of zombie movies. I also loved Zombieland. So you can't write it off as me being bitter at the genre getting a send-up.

No, what irritates me is when people give me shirts for Christmas that say "Braaainnns" and they think that they're giving me this super cool gift that feeds my GAR addiction. People that have never even seen a zombie movie in their lives know that zombies eat brains, right? ROTLD defined what the common person thinks the zombie genre is. And defined it crappily.

Your Star Wars analogy would be better if the people who say "I see your schwartz is as big as mine" thought it actually came from Star Wars.

I don't hate ROTLD because of what it is. I hate it because of what it isn't. Namely a decent follow up to the GAR classics set in the same universe. As a B-movie horror/comedy it's fine.

blind2d
25-Jan-2011, 08:35 PM
I must say I agree with everything Trin just said, and then some!
...Except for the whole liking Zombieland thing... can't say as I do...
But yeah!

Rancid Carcass
26-Jan-2011, 12:56 AM
Actually, if my information is correct, the Russo/Streiner/Ricci ROTLD screenplay was a straight adaptation of Russo's novel. When Tom Fox acquired the rights to produce it he gave it to Tobe Hooper (the films original director), he felt uneasy about making a direct sequel to Night (and who wouldn't!), and didn't want to tread on Romero's toes so he got Dan O'Bannon to rewrite it as a black comedy. The idea of the zombies running was purely to differentiate between Romero universe and theirs, as was the brain eating, though there was a bit more to it than that originally but it never made it into the final draft.

BillyRay
26-Jan-2011, 05:36 PM
My problem has always been, in the middle of this slapstick horror comedy, the notion that after our demise the only thing we have to look forward to in the afterlife is feeling ourselves decompose.

That's truly horrifying to me. There is no afterlife, no judgement or peace, only more suffering and awareness. And it makes all the jokes after that seem so much more juvenile.

That and the whole "Braaaiiins" deal.

babomb
26-Jan-2011, 08:13 PM
Your Star Wars/Space Balls analogy is flawed because ROTLD isn't a parady of zombie movies and most people that say "Braaainns" have never seen a GAR movie. I think it's very much a parody.
And most people not seeing zombie flicks but still knowing they eat brains is probly like was already mentioned, due to the simpsons.

I loved Shaun of the Dead, which was a proper parody of zombie movies. I also loved Zombieland. So you can't write it off as me being bitter at the genre getting a send-up. I loved both of those too! Zombieland alot more. I just don't have these rules about movies.

Not sure, but making a B-movie horror/comedy as a sequel to a horror classic fails. That isn't the case though.
Whether the original treatment was meant to be a sequel or not, it was re-written and differentiated.

Um, the zombie genre looks stupid to everyone else without ROTLD getting involved. I was gonna say that earlier but didn't want to incur the wrath of those who may take offense.

I'm not sure why I have to connect the dots for you here. It seems reasonable that a person would assume a zombie movie coming out at that time named "Return of the Living Dead" would be related to the series, if not a direct continuation. I have no issue with that. I just don't understand why a person could never get over that. I guess if you were there, at the theater in 1985 waiting in line if there was one, the whole time thinking it was a direct continuation of the GAR franchise and were presented with Return, you'd be pretty pissed.
If that's the case here, then I'm gonna feel like an ass for ever questioning it. I didn't even consider that originally, so if that's the case than I sincerely apologize. I'm not old enough for that to have been a possibility.
So I just assumed that was the case with most people here.
I was like 8 when Return came out and I didn't see it until it came out on VHS, and it was probly 5 years later that I saw Dawn for the 1st time.
When you look at it:
Night of the Living Dead - 1968
Dawn of the Dead - 1978
Day of the Dead - 1985
Return of the Living Dead - 1985
I mean, if that's what you saw, just a basic timeline like that, yeah you might think that, maybe. But if you saw the GAR films, and a preview of Return, it's obvious they're unrelated. Not to mention that it's rare even today(if it's even happened) for 2 installments of a movie franchise to be released in the same year. Unless they're re-releases or special editions.

Gryphon
26-Jan-2011, 10:56 PM
My problem has always been, in the middle of this slapstick horror comedy, the notion that after our demise the only thing we have to look forward to in the afterlife is feeling ourselves decompose.

That's truly horrifying to me. There is no afterlife, no judgement or peace, only more suffering and awareness. And it makes all the jokes after that seem so much more juvenile.

That and the whole "Braaaiiins" deal.

Well, in every zombie story, I always assume the soul leaves the body prior to zombification, personally ;)

Thorn
27-Jan-2011, 01:29 PM

I do not hate them, I find them funny. It is just a different genre of film. Splatter/horror/comedy. I prefer my zombie films serious, scary, and with a sense of dread.

bassman
27-Jan-2011, 01:44 PM
With the Eighties obviously now long gone, I wonder if the proposed remake will be layered with the velveeta, or a more honest horror effort?

Trin
27-Jan-2011, 02:23 PM
I would just add a couple sentiments.

ROTLD wasn't a comedy when it came out. I know that sounds goofy looking back at it, but in 1985 it wasn't a comedy. It was B-movie horror. There was a whole subgenre of horror that was cheesy and goofy and over-the-top at the time. You could call it horror/comedy if you want but even that is not exactly accurate to the way these kinds of movies were viewed. It's hard to explain. There is no real equivalent today.

And I'd mention that ROTLD defaced the series similar to what Survival did more recently. They both took a loyal fanbase and jerked them around with something less horror and more comedy than the predecessors. I'd say that ROTLD had more room to do that since it owed less allegiance to the original. But I can still HATE IT for doing it. :)

babomb
27-Jan-2011, 07:26 PM
Jus so ya know, Trin, I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else in anything I said.
I accept and respect everyones opinions and was not trying to devalue them.

According to rancid carcass(great name BTW), when Tobe Hooper decided not to do the original script he had O'Bannon rewrite it as a black comedy.
This is also supported by O'Bannon on the commentary track.
I'm not saying you're wrong about it not being a comedy, just that there seems to be some conflicting opinion on that.

DEAD BEAT
27-Jan-2011, 11:07 PM

I dont Loco! Lol

Trin
28-Jan-2011, 01:11 AM
Jus so ya know, Trin, I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else in anything I said.
I accept and respect everyones opinions and was not trying to devalue them.

According to rancid carcass(great name BTW), when Tobe Hooper decided not to do the original script he had O'Bannon rewrite it as a black comedy.
This is also supported by O'Bannon on the commentary track.
I'm not saying you're wrong about it not being a comedy, just that there seems to be some conflicting opinion on that.
Compare it to movies like Toxic Avenger and Student Bodies and Surfer Zombies and it takes itself far more seriously than a comedy of the era.

If I'm not mistaken that commentary track was cut in 2002 or so. Which is long after the period I'm talking about. Today we look back at ROTLD and call it a comedy. I wouldn't expect O'Bannon to look back at it any differently.

There has been lots of discussion about ROTLD over the years. One of my favorites is from Michael Aldred.

From the Michael Aldred review:
"As many will take note of, humor runs rampant throughout the movie but it's sharp and rather morbid humor. The Return of the Living Dead is not a horror/comedy as many easily mistake it to be. It's a horror film with humorous undertones. The self-referential joking is meant to lighten the mood when necessary, not to be the focal point."

Aldred goes on to discuss at length how horror and comedy were blended in ROTLD.

I totally get the point of what you're saying babomb and I mean no disrespect either. It's just a different perspective.