PDA

View Full Version : Favorite scene from Day?

MissJacksonCA
29-May-2007, 08:48 PM
anyone anyone?

Personally I enjoyed most the scene where Doc Logan treats Bub like a small child or pet and he's like now you're going to sit in the dark and think about what you've done. And Bub gets this sad confused look on his face. It was so funny.

darth los
29-May-2007, 08:51 PM
Any scene where Steele or Rhodes go on a curse-a-thon.

Cody
29-May-2007, 10:47 PM
the begining when you see the infection all in the city. mass.

darth los
29-May-2007, 10:59 PM
That definitely sets the tone for the hopeless situation they are facing.

Danny
29-May-2007, 11:10 PM
rhodes adn logan argumeing in the mess all during that whole "there must be reward" speech. thats a slice of romeros film making at its best, the whole scene just works so well and its the first time you get the hints that in the zombie apocalypse its not just the white trash bikers that can become your enemy, even the most learned you thought you could trust could do ya in.

Philly_SWAT
29-May-2007, 11:58 PM
the begining when you see the infection all in the city. mass.

I have a lot of scenes that I really like from Day, but I think that the most visually effective scene was at the beginning when you see the city from above, and how there is no life anywhere. It really gives a jarring look at how society, and human existence, is threatened almost to the point of extinction. In Night, there were "zombie hunters" all over the place, TV was till broadcasting, etc. Same in Dawn, lots of people still alive in the beginning, TV still up and running, etc. Even after the TV stopped broadcasting, the biker gang came along to show how there was still people "out there", away from the main characters, that were still living. IN day, we never see that. There is no contact with any living person outside the compound, even though they are actively looking for someone. That point is most effectively illustrated with the opening sequence.

darth los
30-May-2007, 12:07 AM
I have a lot of scenes that I really like from Day, but I think that the most visually effective scene was at the beginning when you see the city from above, and how there is no life anywhere. It really gives a jarring look at how society, and human existence, is threatened almost to the point of extinction. In Night, there were "zombie hunters" all over the place, TV was till broadcasting, etc. Same in Dawn, lots of people still alive in the beginning, TV still up and running, etc. Even after the TV stopped broadcasting, the biker gang came along to show how there was still people "out there", away from the main characters, that were still living. IN day, we never see that. There is no contact with any living person outside the compound, even though they are actively looking for someone. That point is most effectively illustrated with the opening sequence.

I think you just made avery compelling argument as to why it could be implied that these films occur in the same timeline and universe. It is after all, very reasonable since in each succesive film there seems to be an escalation in the severity in the plauge and how wide spread it was getting. Also they level of opitimism and hope seemed to decline with each film as well. It's no wonder people think they happen in the same timeline and universe. It certainly is implied. Thanks philly you're a lifesaver.;)

Philly_SWAT
30-May-2007, 12:24 AM
I think you just made avery compelling argument as to why it could be implied that these films occur in the same timeline and universe. It is after all, very reasonable since in each succesive film there seems to be an escalation in the severity in the plauge and how wide spread it was getting. Also they level of opitimism and hope seemed to decline with each film as well. It's no wonder people think they happen in the same timeline and universe. It certainly is implied. Thanks philly you're a lifesaver.;)
No problem! ;)

For more information, please see some rather lengthy threads on this very topic............
http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=4398

acealive1
30-May-2007, 12:42 AM
anyone anyone?

Personally I enjoyed most the scene where Doc Logan treats Bub like a small child or pet and he's like now you're going to sit in the dark and think about what you've done. And Bub gets this sad confused look on his face. It was so funny.

uh.that wasnt bub........

darth los
30-May-2007, 12:44 AM
It wasn't even bub, it was the firefighter zombie the men got from the corral that he said that to. .;)

Mutineer
30-May-2007, 01:03 AM
I love the whole confrontation between Rhoades and Frankenstein when Rhoades has a meltdown

I love the scene where they amputate homeboys arm and then homegirl starts to meltdown

I love the speech by the Black dude

jim102016
30-May-2007, 01:36 AM
The helicopter trip from the city to the bunker...and the scene where they discuss the possibility of other groups surviving before Rhodes has a meltdown.

Cody
30-May-2007, 03:33 AM
im glad I wasnt the only one that liked the begining

Mike70
30-May-2007, 06:39 PM
the scene where rhodes goes off on logan - "is that food enough for ya?"

or:
"have you lost your mind?"
"no, ma'am. have you? i just told you i was willin' to kill you if you didn't get back in your chair. you didn't get back in your chair."

EvilNed
30-May-2007, 06:52 PM
I love Day. I wouldn't mind an extended Day film like... one hour MORE! or at least 20 minutes or so wouldn't hurt.

DEAD BEAT
30-May-2007, 06:58 PM
I loved it when Steele finally kicked the shiiit out of that smooth talking hippie loving John,through that whole movie he thought he was slicker than everyone else until Steele showed him what time it was!:D

Oh and of course as someone posted earlier the opening scene in the city is the highlight of the film its all down hill from there on! :dead:

darth los
30-May-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the scene where the Salazar enabled zombies infiltrate the bunker and the chaos that ensues, that's epic.
To me it's the best 15-20 minutes in zombiedom.:D

MagicMoonMonkey
30-May-2007, 10:56 PM
I too think the opening sequence of the movie sets the tone perfectly. I remember thinking how hopeless their situation was when I first watched Day.

Other scenes of genius were:
The progress meeting where Logan turns up late. That whole scene from start to finish was fantastic.

John's speech regarding 'What's goin' on'

Logan's justification to Sarah on the use of Cooper for research and her reaction.

I still to this very day feel that the killing of Rhodes and his men were the most horrific and convincing of any zombie movie. I do not include the gore factor in my reasoning, but each soldier died alone... horribly. The screams from Rickles, even as the scene faded out, were horrific. God knows how long he lived after the fade-out as he was having his eyes gouged and digits bitten off. All I know is it was brutal, yet perfect.

I am one of the few that thought Rhodes was justified in his actions regarding the civilian element of the base and maybe that just adds to the horror of the deaths of Rhodes and Co.

Graebel
31-May-2007, 01:12 AM
"Choke on 'em!!!!"

My favorite scene, hands down.:D

MissJacksonCA
31-May-2007, 01:14 AM
I did enjoy that scene very much I certainly did I did I did

acealive1
31-May-2007, 01:15 AM
I loved it when Steele finally kicked the shiiit out of that smooth talking hippie loving John,through that whole movie he thought he was slicker than everyone else until Steele showed him what time it was!:D

Oh and of course as someone posted earlier the opening scene in the city is the highlight of the film its all down hill from there on! :dead:

u know george has a reason behind all things in his movies. social commentary. so that part wasnt really meant to empower or have someone think "yeah he showed him what time it was"

Mutineer
31-May-2007, 01:16 AM
Rhoades was a character one likes even though we know we're supposed to hate him; like Steve in Dawn04

Cody
31-May-2007, 02:07 AM
lol i loved steve in 04 what a douche bag

darth los
31-May-2007, 03:24 AM
He was just one in a long line of 1 dimensional characters in that movie.

MissJacksonCA
31-May-2007, 03:52 AM
he was priceless

DEAD BEAT
31-May-2007, 03:55 PM
u know george has a reason behind all things in his movies. social commentary. so that part wasnt really meant to empower or have someone think "yeah he showed him what time it was"

The guy annoyned the piss out of my after awhile, what can i say it put a smile on my face!
:D

darth los
31-May-2007, 05:59 PM
he was priceless

It's definitely no easy task effortlessly being a douchebag.:p

capncnut
05-Jun-2007, 06:16 AM
And not to mention the the little nod to Dawn with the revamped mall theme during that very sequence.

I think that the most visually effective scene was at the beginning when you see the city from above, and how there is no life anywhere. It really gives a jarring look at how society, and human existence, is threatened almost to the point of extinction.
Completely agree and the music is effective too. I would probably have to say that the beginning is my favourite part of Day because it's so epic.

MaximusIncredulous
05-Jun-2007, 10:02 AM
Rickels trapped in the cave while all around him foul, grisly ghouls are advancing towards him. I always found the atmosphere during those scenes to be very Hellish :evil:

MontagMOI
05-Jun-2007, 02:40 PM
Any scene where Steele or Rhodes go on a curse-a-thon.

Yep, i think i can go along with that :)

Neil
05-Jun-2007, 03:20 PM
I quite like it when John (& McDermott) chat to Sarah about what they're trying to achieve...

"...and teach our kids never to comer over hear and dig up these records"... (or something like that)

The soundtrack is also a work of GENIUS!

MissJacksonCA
05-Jun-2007, 06:35 PM
I liked that scene too. Except how many kids would they have to have to repopulate the earth? And even still she'd prolly have to have kids by the both of them and hope they were the opposite sex because we've all seen what inbreeding can do..

Neil
05-Jun-2007, 07:59 PM
I liked that scene too. Except how many kids would they have to have to repopulate the earth? And even still she'd prolly have to have kids by the both of them and hope they were the opposite sex because we've all seen what inbreeding can do..

I don't think John was talking about 'them' specifically... Just survivors in general...

MissJacksonCA
05-Jun-2007, 08:09 PM
The feeling I got with Day of the Dead (bear in mind I never actually made the correlation of the movies all being related at the time) was that they were basically the last strand of survivors. I got that feeling because of course they were going up the coast back and forth and found no one. The radio transmissions were basically a waste of time. There was no contact with anyone outside of their 'camp.' As if that didn't make it hit home enough for me the end of the film made me feel that way too when they found their private isle and there was no one else there. It wasn't until Land that I began to think there could be hope for humanity after all.

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 01:34 AM
For all intents and purposes imo they pretty much were the "last". Now surely there were other pockets of survivors in silos/bunkers just like theirs, however, they were simply too far away. Going on a mission like that just to find other people would have been suicide. There's virtually no way they could do it. I'll borrow a line from dawn 04'. When they discover that a survivor named andy was across the lot in a gun shop Miki Pheifer says "He might as well be on the moon." As apt a description as any. It's like if you owe someone ten thousand dollars but have only a couple thousand saved up. You could say the debt you owe might as well be a million because there's no way you could pay it either way.

Neil
06-Jun-2007, 08:08 AM
"He might as well be on the moon."

If I remember the film - I try not to very hard - you can obviously reach the moon as long as you're chasing a dog? Isn't that what happened?

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 05:37 PM
If I remember the film - I try not to very hard - you can obviously reach the moon as long as you're chasing a dog? Isn't that what happened?

Great point and i've contemplated that question before. So much thought about "what are we going to do about andy?" When they have a truck sitting right there. They seemed to forget about it at the most inconvienient time because they obviously knew it was available for use. Ving Rhames was going to use it to get his brother. Another one of about 4 examples of how these people faild to plan for anything particularly well.

flyboy
09-Jun-2007, 10:45 AM
anyone anyone?

Personally I enjoyed most the scene where Doc Logan treats Bub like a small child or pet and he's like now you're going to sit in the dark and think about what you've done. And Bub gets this sad confused look on his face. It was so funny.the bit where rhodes points his gun at sarah, and tells her to sit darn!!
:barf:

rightwing401
09-Jun-2007, 04:40 PM
Ok, there were three scenes that I absolutely loved in Day.
The first was right in the beginning, when they had that entire city completely overrun. There was nothing by scattered remanents of a time passed, and all those living dead staggaring down the street really sent a chill down my spine. I know that they were all slow as can be, but just seeing something like that in real life I know would make me sh*t my pants. When Miguel sees all of them and hightails it back to the helicopter, I remember saying to myself, "Damn right."

The second was when Logan gave Bub the gun. I was kind of wondering what he would do, as he looked like he was just playing with it. But oh man, when he pulled that slide back, and the music keyed in, that was one of the most shocking scenes in any zombie movie I had ever seen. I litterally shouted out, "Holy sh*t! He knows how to use a gun!"

The final scene was when Bub found Logan dead. He acts like an obediant dog that's just done a new trick for their master, but when he sees him lying there, it's like he understands quickly that he's dead. When he starts to thrash around and moan that sad wail, it really just made me feel very sorry for him. If anything, it really drove home that though the zombies are sort of monsters, they were people once.

Danny
09-Jun-2007, 05:11 PM
the bit were he cocks the gun and pulls the trigger at steel and he flinches as it clicks on an empty chamber was a piece of george romeros work at its best.:cool:

coma
09-Jun-2007, 07:19 PM
The final scene was when Bub found Logan dead. He acts like an obediant dog that's just done a new trick for their master, but when he sees him lying there, it's like he understands quickly that he's dead. When he starts to thrash around and moan that sad wail, it really just made me feel very sorry for him. If anything, it really drove home that though the zombies are sort of monsters, they were people once.
One of GARs best scenes period. That Sherman is a great actor. How Bub tries to show he tiook apart the chain, a combination of look at what I did! and I think I did a bad thing because Im supposed to be chained up.

Though not some heavy scene, I always really liked the sequence in the cave where McDermitt Cuts the Zombies head in half with a shovel then flicks the top half aside. When they are running away the Zombies half head is upside down in the foreground and its eyes are darting side to side. CLASSIC!

Neil
09-Jun-2007, 07:29 PM
One of GARs best scenes period. That Sherman is a great actor. How Bub tries to show he tiook apart the chain, a combination of look at what I did! and I think I did a bad thing because Im supposed to be chained up.

Though not some heavy scene, I always really liked the sequence in the cave where McDermitt Cuts the Zombies head in half with a shovel then flicks the top half aside. When they are running away the Zombies half head is upside down in the foreground and its eyes are darting side to side. CLASSIC!

Let's be frank... Day has LOTS of good scenes! It's very underrated!

coma
09-Jun-2007, 08:19 PM
Let's be frank... Day has LOTS of good scenes! It's very underrated!
Not by me:D
Unlke Dawn and Night, Day has grown on me over the years. I loved DOTD and NOTLD right off intensely. While I definately really liked Day right off, over the years I now regard it as equal to the first 2. GAR films are the gift that keeps on giving. I actually Thought Joe Pilato was the worst thing about day for a long time. Too over the top. With Time I have met Napoleanic Screaming Nutjob self appointed dictators repeatedly so I now see him as not over the top, but just right.:)

jim102016
10-Jun-2007, 01:06 AM
the bit were he cocks the gun and pulls the trigger at steel and he flinches as it clicks on an empty chamber was a piece of george romeros work at its best.:cool:

Wasn't that Rhodes he pointed the pistol at and then dry-fired it? I always thought that incident where Bub was almost destroyed made him especially happy to see Rhodes in the hallway at the end.

swellman
10-Jun-2007, 02:27 AM
The part where Rhodes was torn in half. That was fucking awesome.

darth los
10-Jun-2007, 11:37 PM
That's definitely what most people remember the most when asked about that film. It definitely leaves a lasting impression.

swellman
11-Jun-2007, 12:42 AM
That's definitely what most people remember the most when asked about that film. It definitely leaves a lasting impression.

Yeah. But, too bad they weren't able to amke the film the was it was originally meant to be. I get sad now everytime I watch Day just thinking of what a great film it could have been.

darth los
11-Jun-2007, 12:54 AM
If it's any consolation, alot of the ideas that were to be in the original script were implemented in Land of the dead and we see how well that worked out. :barf: Be carefull what you wish for.