PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore FPS nauseum...

DVW5150
30-May-2007, 02:28 PM
I have gamed now for at least 8 years, as far as actively seeking the medium specifically in entertainment. Of course as a kid, Asteroids was my fave.
I have had my share of playing levels a-many , you may have too.

I seem though, to sometimes be plodding through a level I have done a few times too many, feel nauseated.
Or get wall-eyed in the game where you are sort of lost in up & down?
Has anybody ever had this?
To get mildly ill from a game you have played too much?
Once I stop, I feel okay.
So what the moral here? Stop playing the dumb thing. Sheesh...:elol:

I have read the warnings in some of the game instructions about epileptic seizures & stuff...

But has anybody else has this?

Cykotic
30-May-2007, 02:58 PM
yep... this happens a lot to me too. I try to ignore it, but it just keeps happening. however, the only game it happens on is Battlefield 2...

Danny
30-May-2007, 03:19 PM
only once, i had a migrane and was playing condemned, adn the motion of the 1st person walking really bugged me ,but only once ,up adn down and up and down....:barf:

MinionZombie
30-May-2007, 06:19 PM
If I play a game far too much in a day I'll get kinda sickly feeling, I'll have the images and sounds imprinted on my brain until the following morning when I go to sleep, and not in a psycho way...if I spent the entire day watching boobies flop around in front of me, that's all I'd see...

Anyway, I remember putting off some essay research one Friday in favour of NFS Underground 2 and played it all freakin' day, I didn't leave my room almost the entire time, so I got really claustrophobic (my room at uni was literally 6ft by 8ft - no joking - with a corner for storage and a corridor connected to that which lead you into my room)...anyway, I felt a bit dizzy and just generally not sh*t-hot, so I stopped and went downstairs for a change of scenery and decompressed for a while.

I don't get motion sickness from games though, but I do - or at least used to - when sat in a car as a passenger, but that's worn off pretty much nowadays I think, I ended up getting it several years ago from one of my Dad's company cars which was a hand-me-down until the new car year rolled around...anyway, it was leaking carbon monoxide into the 'cabin' where you sit, so I acquired motion sickness by association with mild CM poisoning! :rolleyes:

But now it's pretty much worn off, I hope anyway...

I'll shut up now. :D

tkane18
30-May-2007, 06:39 PM
We used to play Duke Nukem (remember that?) at my old job. There were probably 10 of us that played and no one ever said anything about getting ill while playing. Then I tried to get my boss to play one day. He played for less than 5 minutes and said he felt like passing out. So I guess it does happen.

MinionZombie
30-May-2007, 10:07 PM
Indeed, some people have different reactions, part of it is also down to personal gaming stamina. I remember I felt like utter shiite after playing my first ever console (Mega Drive 2) Xmas Day 1993 for a couple of hours. I felt horrid, thumping headache, but was still loving it and went back for more...back when I'd just ignore the headache and power through it, now I down some Ibuprofen and chug water. :lol:

Frame-rate is about the only thing these days than can unsettle me, like if I've been playing a game on my PC which is struggling a bit and it's going a bit sluggish (or at least, not normally smooth), then I can get a bit out-of-sorts when I come away and start looking at reality again (re-adjusting to the frame-rate of real life, so-to-speak). hehe. :p

DVW5150
30-May-2007, 11:39 PM
I have had my Alienware back for under a week, after 6 months to pay off a 589 bill to get it back from the repair shop.
Now after getting it back to running it wont read the OS disk boot. Meaning I need to purchase windows xp home again after paying for it to be installed in the shop, I have to buy the sh!t again!They told me I have to buy it, that they wouldnt re-install no charge. Or give me the disk which I asked about when I picked it up.

So so much for getting wall-eyed and puking for awhile.I was looking for ward to getting online with some good ole' Half Life 2.... F^CK! :mad:

The shop is called Hitech exchange in Rockville MD.The owners name is Anis, no kidding, Anis(Anus)...A gent from the mid east with serious issues, at least a serious social disease.The flunky I spoke to was such a c^nt...

I am bummed and pissed*not drunk* angry as friggin dog.:evil:

Cody
31-May-2007, 02:33 AM
damn. you guys serious?

Mutineer
31-May-2007, 03:14 AM
I havent experienced this and junkie hard on Forgotten Hope mostly

darth los
31-May-2007, 03:30 AM
I played Tomb Raider 3 for the original PS the other day and had to stop after about 20 minutes.:barf: I just couldn't believe what a heavily pixilated mess it was or that it didn't bother me back then.

MikePizzoff
31-May-2007, 12:56 PM
I havent experienced this and junkie hard on Forgotten Hope mostly

What?!

Dommm
31-May-2007, 01:14 PM
I think this only used to happen me when I got link to the past on the snes, but I was on the damn console for near 12 hours a day playing that ****.

darth los
31-May-2007, 05:31 PM
Yep, that'll do it. :barf:

Danny
01-Jun-2007, 01:35 AM
i think the worst is 3d games with really bad texture mapping, like the wall, roof and floor all look exactly the same, and especially in fps that gets buggy.:dead:

darth los
01-Jun-2007, 03:21 AM
That's exactly what i'm talking about. That mostly happens with late 90's titles and the budget ones too now that i think about it.

DVW5150
01-Jun-2007, 05:07 AM
I recall Duke Nukem had some textures that seemed like puke.
:barf:

MinionZombie
01-Jun-2007, 09:44 AM
At the time you're fine with blocky textures, but I totally know what you guys are on about when you say you find it hard/even literally sickening to play really old games now.

For one thing, we've moved so far on now, that it's just a bit dodgy now and not retro enough to have a new station in life, secondly - indeed - we're used to better frame rates and greater clarity and detail.

darth los
01-Jun-2007, 10:54 PM
I recall Duke Nukem had some textures that seemed like puke.
:barf:

So would that make it " DUKE PUKE'EM"?:rockbrow:

darth los
01-Jun-2007, 10:54 PM
Damn, i can never get the multi-quote thing to work!! Anyways, Yeah MZ, it's funny how you're all nostalgic to play those old games because of all the great memories, then as soon as you pop it in it's like ,"This game is not that good, actually". We'll allways have the memories though.

Mutineer
02-Jun-2007, 01:07 AM
What?!

Yeah ?

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, the games are still good, it's just that ... if they were released now, they'd be a laughing stock, but back in the day...ahhh...classic memories. I was a huge fan of "Outlaws" by Lucas Arts, loved that game, great music too...I used to play that a hell of a lot.

DVW5150
02-Jun-2007, 04:45 PM
The drawbridge jumps in 'Take a ride' (Chicago) were so cool.
Right when 'take a ride' starts in Chicago, you just drive straight and you catch the bridge just in time to have a leap.The make a film feature was great. I still have some chases on old vhs tapes...

It had a weird attempt to simulate life, the boxy people were funny.They look like Gumby characters...

Finding the yellow muscle car in the basement of the baseball stadium was cool.

But yes, you go back and play them and they arent so impressive compared to what being done now.
I see my daughters playing 'side scroll' games, and roll my eyes.

So would that make it " DUKE PUKE'EM"?:rockbrow:

I still liked the game, it had a strange vibe...Killing the LA pigs in " Time to Kill" was fun.
The strip club 'Bootylicous ' was odd but funny too.

The version for Duke Nukem n64 (oldy) was my favorite version.
Quake 2 for the ps was shiite, Q2 in the n64 was superior in my opinion to the PS version, second only to the pc version of Q2.

capncnut
04-Jun-2007, 09:58 AM
I seem though, to sometimes be plodding through a level I have done a few times too many, feel nauseated. Or get wall-eyed in the game where you are sort of lost in up & down? Has anybody ever had this?
Yes, I used to get motion sickness quite often. Actually, I deliberately trained myself to play FPS games because I used to get barfy just looking at them. Now, I rarely get the sickness (oo-wah-ah-ah-ah) and have come to realise that most headache related symptoms are often caused by long bouts of gaming. Or sleeplessness.

I played Tomb Raider 3 for the original PS the other day and had to stop after about 20 minutes.:barf: I just couldn't believe what a heavily pixilated mess it was or that it didn't bother me back then.
Man, there are so many PSone games like this I could point out. The first Silent Hill is one of the most spectacular messes I have ever played post-gen but my memory remembers the graphics to be very different back then.

At the time you're fine with blocky textures, but I totally know what you guys are on about when you say you find it hard/even literally sickening to play really old games now.
My point exactly old bean. :D

Danny
04-Jun-2007, 10:12 AM
yeah same here for silent hill, great soundtrack ,voice acting and story but the textures are so bad i cant play it anymore.
silent hill 2 on the other hand....:sneaky:

MinionZombie
04-Jun-2007, 10:13 AM
I remember back in the day when Virtua Racing for the Mega Drive came out, I loved that game and would play it with one of my mates constantly on Saturdays when we went over each other's houses, anyway, I remember thinking the graphics were "WOW!" back then ... I played it recently and I couldn't Adam & Eve it, feckin' nora!

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/lovelyvr.jpg

capncnut
04-Jun-2007, 10:34 AM
Don't forget F1!!!

http://tv-games.narod.ru/sega/g/i/f/F1_World_Championship_JUE__003.png

silent hill 2 on the other hand... :sneaky:
Silent Hill 2 has a touch of the Shenmue's mate. Both games are 7 years old and look almost as good as anything released recently.

darth los
11-Jun-2007, 06:16 AM
The cars in these games look as if they're on a polygon fast !! :lol: :lol:

capncnut
11-Jun-2007, 10:32 AM
I tell you what though, F1 still plays and handles excellently. I stuck this on not too long ago (along with PGAII :cool:) and played it all day. The courses are pretty damn accurate too, even for those days.

darth los
11-Jun-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm not knocking it at all. It's just funny, as mz has pointed out, that we used to marvel at the graphics in games like these. Just as we'll Laught at gears of war and twightlight princess years from now while we're playing on the 3rd generations wii's holodeck. :D

capncnut
12-Jun-2007, 06:35 PM
Getting back to the motion sickness thingy, I was playing Half Life 1 on the PS2 today and about four hours in, I got the wobbles and absolutely could not look at the screen for one minute longer. That game has always been notoriously 'sicky' (due to its very speedy and fluid movement, more so than HL2 actually) and I had to take a lie down for an hour or so to shake it off. All back to normal now though. :D

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 08:50 PM
Getting back to the motion sickness thingy, I was playing Half Life 1 on the PS2 today and about four hours in, I got the wobbles and absolutely could not look at the screen for one minute longer. That game has always been notoriously 'sicky' (due to its very speedy and fluid movement, more so than HL2 actually) and I had to take a lie down for an hour or so to shake it off. All back to normal now though. :D

Exactly my point. Why do you think it is that most games from that era, at the time, didn't have any effect on us, but are virtually unplayable nowdays due to the nauseum factor? It really ruins the nostalgia factor for me.

MinionZombie
12-Jun-2007, 09:28 PM
Ug, that speedy factor - totally.

Have you played Classic Doom 3? Ah mate, they have you run around at Doom 1 speed, and it absolutely did my head in, it made me feel sickly and headachey and just not good.

The game itself was a trip down memory lane, albeit remade, but mate...that speedy movement...oh dear.

DeadJonas190
13-Jun-2007, 04:20 AM
I have gamed now for at least 8 years, as far as actively seeking the medium specifically in entertainment. Of course as a kid, Asteroids was my fave.
I have had my share of playing levels a-many , you may have too.

I seem though, to sometimes be plodding through a level I have done a few times too many, feel nauseated.
Or get wall-eyed in the game where you are sort of lost in up & down?
Has anybody ever had this?
To get mildly ill from a game you have played too much?
Once I stop, I feel okay.
So what the moral here? Stop playing the dumb thing. Sheesh...:elol:

I have read the warnings in some of the game instructions about epileptic seizures & stuff...

But has anybody else has this?

I would call the Better Business Bureau on them. That is some dirty work they are doing there and it sound like they are trying to rip you off on purpose.

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 05:05 AM
Unfortunately most people disregard those warnings, until they start foaming at the mouth that is. Those warnings are there for a reason. Listen to your body.

Dtothe3
13-Jun-2007, 11:34 PM
TWINE on the N64 did it for me. The end of game was an underwater thing. A crap ending followed it. Here, have some motion sickness, then a really crap ending to make you feel better about it :barf:

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm giving honorable mention to the sopranos ending for making me nauteous. :barf: