PDA

View Full Version : Vigilante justice and general other questions... your *thoughts?

MissJacksonCA
01-Jun-2007, 10:42 PM
Does the rise of vigilante justice suggest that perhaps our own justice system needs a bit of tweaking?

Also with our prisons being relatively overpopulated shouldn't that also suggest we need to not only build more of them but create new standards by which we treat people? Are we just locking up people for X number of months and years and then letting them out or are we actually treating them?

One thing I find paticularly interesting is do we do enough for criminals to re-introduce them into society? Giving a man 40 bucks and a parole officer (that is if they get a p.o.) isn't exactly helping them in any way. Are we training them for a job they can take once they're out? If they dont get a job they may resort to a life of crime. If they're a drug or alcohol addict are we giving them rehab in prison? Do they have access to AA and the like?

fartpants
02-Jun-2007, 04:34 PM
the police are out-numbered , my house was burgled recently and it took the police 3 weeks to come and dust the windows for prints and when i asked the officer what the chances are of catching the perps... he actually laughed at me. now if i found out who did it, and the choice was getting him arrested just for him to get a caution or me and a couple of friends paying him a visit to personally show him the error of his ways, well i know what i would do ( in a heartbeat )

DVW5150
02-Jun-2007, 04:57 PM
If you want peace prepare for war...

There are situations that call for one to take personal action.

I like the kneecaps.:mad:

MissJacksonCA
02-Jun-2007, 07:27 PM
That was beautiful. I agree with fartman... I've had my house burgled before and told the police exactly who did it and they didn't even once go and talk to the person who did it. I was so incensed. The only time they caught someone who broke in was when my Akita bit the guy trying to break in so badly that there was enough blood outside my house to make it look like the Simpson/Goldman murder scene. They caught the guy at the hospital but that was it. Cars stolen and never found. Wakeboards and boat taken and never retreived. I mean if the police dont give a crap at least give me carte blance to get it back y'know?

Whats funny to me is how much time the police spent locking me up in a car in the summer heat without the windows being cracked waiting for me to admit to vandalism. I mean it was FOUR HOURS they waited. If my friend who worked for the forrestry service never came along and saw me I may have died from heat exhaustion. And after complaining to the powers-that-be about the officer in paticular having a sick vendetta against me they blew it off like I was paranoid. Until half the town complained when he killed a baby bear. They still didnt take action against him (it was a wildlife preserve where you couldn't kill animals). It wasn't until he shot at a 14 year old who stole a car in town that he was reprimanded.

I just dont understand the police. The justice system. Or the jury who convicts a person of a crime against someone who wrongs them.

DVW5150
02-Jun-2007, 09:29 PM
I learned it in basic training, but in latin but forgot the latin part, and remember it in english...:elol:

EvilNed
02-Jun-2007, 09:41 PM
Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

Let him who desires peace prepare for war

- Vegetius

fartpants
02-Jun-2007, 10:40 PM
who'd of thought you would know latin Ned...

_liam_
03-Jun-2007, 01:17 AM
"pacifism can be the greatest barrier to peace"

Dawg
03-Jun-2007, 02:10 AM
Are any of you kidding!?? Prisons don't reabilitate, they just house and make the soften criminals into more harden criminals.

Its a big running joke for years. They give them weights and access to law libaries so next time they crack your head, they are stronger to do it and smarter so maybe then they wouldn't get caught.

The police don't prevent crimes, they come in after the fact and clean up the mess. They are nothing but glorified janitors.

:dead: Dawg

rightwing401
03-Jun-2007, 03:23 AM
Here's a perfect example.

About two months after Katrina hit, my older brother was watching our parent's house. In the middle of the night, someone tried to break in. He called the police, and they told him that they would be there as soon as possible.
Being armed with a twelve guage shotgun, his response to the cop on the other end was, "Well if you're not here by the time this a##hole comes through the window, he's dead."
They showed up less than five minutes later, a new record given their usual response time- 15 min. to a half hour.
Once the social structure falls apart, it's rather shocking to see how quickly the police become unreliable.
In short, all of us learned down here that you can't really rely on the police to save you. Like Dawg said, they're little more than janitors.

So yes, I do believe that vigilantie justice becomes a necessity when the police are unable, or unwilling, to do something.

MissJacksonCA
03-Jun-2007, 05:28 AM
What amazes me (a little less everyday mind you) is that people keep expecting the best from people! They expect that people CAN be rehabilitated. I may be the most hateful bitter pessimistic person on the face of the Earth and I may expect the absolute worst from everyone but goshdang people... not everyone is normal, not everyone is nice, not everyone is going to get better. What's more is that in prison you're not exactly going to get access to good psychiatric treatment even if that might help you.

Dawg was right... prison makes you even more of a hardened criminal but being able to trade notes with other criminals... hello? Its like going to sex addicts anonymous... its where you meet your next partner/mentor.

I also feel you can't rely on the police to do right by you to protect you. They're racist, some of them have power trips, they're sexist, and in many cases they behave worse than common criminals. God forbid you enact a little vigilante justice on one of them.

EvilNed
03-Jun-2007, 12:41 PM
Not sure what kind of prisons or rehab you guys have over here, but over here the maximum sentence is 20 years. Most people serve 10-15. I can't say that they're all fully rehabilitated when they get out (because honestly, I don't know) but I've never ever heard of anyone that goes on another criminal or killing spree after they've been in for that long.

Of course, a prior sentence of 3 months isn't going to rehabilitate anyone. But we have no problem with rehab over here.

As for vigilante justice, all I say is the Punisher!!

DVW5150
03-Jun-2007, 06:23 PM
The Patriot Act makes it perfectly legal for the FBI or any government agency to incarcerate you with out justification.

Just as there is no law stating you have to pay taxes in the USA. :mad:

Boy, I am in good mood.

" Even though sheep may bind disgust to my remarks, I will not be silent. "
-Thomas Jefferson

acealive1
03-Jun-2007, 06:27 PM
the police are out-numbered , my house was burgled recently and it took the police 3 weeks to come and dust the windows for prints and when i asked the officer what the chances are of catching the perps... he actually laughed at me. now if i found out who did it, and the choice was getting him arrested just for him to get a caution or me and a couple of friends paying him a visit to personally show him the error of his ways, well i know what i would do ( in a heartbeat )

i HATE thieves. my house was broken into about 2 years ago and it makes me sick thinking about it. the one time i get a chance to go out and have fun,some 16 year old dummy breaks in. i call him a dummy not cuz of his age but because he broke into my house in the middle of winter with snow everywhere leading me to find him very soon after.

DVW5150
03-Jun-2007, 06:28 PM
Not sure what kind of prisons or rehab you guys have over here, but over here the maximum sentence is 20 years. Most people serve 10-15. I can't say that they're all fully rehabilitated when they get out (because honestly, I don't know) but I've never ever heard of anyone that goes on another criminal or killing spree after they've been in for that long.

Of course, a prior sentence of 3 months isn't going to rehabilitate anyone. But we have no problem with rehab over here.

As for vigilante justice, all I say is the Punisher!!

BTW, I liked Tom Jane as the Punisher,seems he has turned down the 2nd installment movie deal...
The graphic novels /comics were the sh!t!

EvilNed
03-Jun-2007, 06:34 PM
BTW, I liked Tom Jane as the Punisher,seems he has turned down the 2nd installment movie deal...
The graphic novels /comics were the sh!t!

I thought Jane was perfect for the role. But without him, I'm not so sure the sequel will be any good.

DVW5150
03-Jun-2007, 10:38 PM
I thought Jane was perfect for the role. But without him, I'm not so sure the sequel will be any good.

You got that right.
He made that character his own...
Did you get the simularity of the scene where he runs to his dying/dead family on the pier with the scene in Mad Max?

I think dark characters can drive a story well, if the actors make the roles they play their own.
One of the best scenarios are, well, natural justice.

EvilNed
03-Jun-2007, 11:24 PM
Did you get the simularity of the scene where he runs to his dying/dead family on the pier with the scene in Mad Max?

I didn't think of it at the time, but now that you mention it! Man I have to rewatch that film... I love the old Mad Max films and this is definetly another worthy addition along the same themes of the first one. Mad Max is one of the few films where I'm really cheering for the guy in the end, I mean really. When he runs over those bikers, I'm all happy inside. Vigilante!

But who can replace Tom Jane? He was so good. I can't think of anyone.

MissJacksonCA
04-Jun-2007, 01:05 AM
I dated a guy who served 7-8 years in prison for nearly beating a man to death. The man just said something to upset him and he couldn't control his anger. While in prison he didn't have any access to someone who could help him with his anger so when he got out and I ran into him and got to know him it was obvious he needed serious medical treatment. Eventually he moved to Chicago and wound up in prison again.

The thing about repeat offenders is that you never really hear about how many people are going to prison, or for what... and then you dont hear about them offending again unless its a 'sensational' case that appeals to the media. I notice most often its sexual predators that are the biggest repeat offenders. People who commit domestic violence are also habitual offenders. Those two groups are lost causes that should be put to sleep for the safety of the world.

As far as killers go... theres so many circumstances surrounding the reasons why someone kills that its difficult to say if they'll do it again. A person willing to kill for money is likely to re-offend because they're obviously interested in easy money. A person who does it in self defense is likely to do it again because they're in a scared place and likely to lash out at unsuspecting people. Someone who kills to be with someone is likely to do it again because they're sick. Its hard but I think we should kill a good lot of offenders

Philly_SWAT
04-Jun-2007, 04:31 AM
I dont think that the solution is more prisons. The United States now has more people in prison per capita than any country in the world. Does that sound lke the "land of the free" to you? The problem is outdated, erroneous, and rediculous laws (the drug laws, as a prime example) that makes people "criminals" by definition. Government is supposed to fufill the will of the people. The drug trade is constantly referred to as a multi-billion dollar industry, therefore, it seems logical that the people want drugs. The government would be better off making it legal, taxing it, providing better education about it, and worry about things that are harmful to other people, such as driving under the influence, rather than criminalizing possessionn and distribution.

Also, is there was more "economic equality", there would be less people with either the need or desire to rob others. When the top 1% of people own roughtly 90% of everything, that to me is unjustifiable and wrong.

MissJacksonCA
04-Jun-2007, 04:52 AM
Short of being mentally deficient there's no reason for people not to do whatever it takes to be wealthy legally. I'm not suggesting one become a celebrity but I mean doctor, dictator, entrepreneur, mad scientist...

The fact of the matter is your economic background doesn't dictate whether you're going to do drugs or deal drugs. Thats a choice people make. What most people want is easy money because they dont want to have to earn it. Further, money doesn't automatically make the world happy or stable. We're materialistic to the extreme here in the states to the point that people mortage their homes several times over just to keep up with the Joneses. Thats their problem for being stupid.

I agree we should legalize drugs and also prostitution. If prostitutes worked for the government they would be able to get medical testing for STDs, the government would take a cut like a pimp and keep the women and men safe, I mean its a market that they refuse to tap into.

Of course if I were the government i'd lace cyanide into the drug supply to weed out the undesireables on my planet but hey!

That said... I feel drug dealers should be held accountable for peddling their wares. People overdose on illegal drugs all the time but you dont see the police taking down their dealer and charging them with manslaughter. Which is what I would do. Its the same as a bartender over-serving a person who drives home and kills themself or someone else. Someone has to be held accountable for enabling addicts. The greater solution is to break the cycle of addiction .. the government should work on that and give it to people in halfway houses and rehab centers.

But since none of the above will ever happen in my generation I agree that we should reduce the sentences of dealers to keep the real bad people in prison.

Philly_SWAT
04-Jun-2007, 10:23 AM
Short of being mentally deficient there's no reason for people not to do whatever it takes to be wealthy legally. I'm not suggesting one become a celebrity but I mean doctor, dictator, entrepreneur, mad scientist...
I would suggest that it is not a fact that as a matter of existence that everyone should "do whatever it takes legally" to become wealthy. Because someone purposely chooses not to try to become wealthy does not in and of itself mean that they have a mental deficiency, imo.

The fact of the matter is your economic background doesn't dictate whether you're going to do drugs or deal drugs.I wasnt suggesting that it did. I was saying that your economic background does dictate whether you are going to rob people are not. Rich people do not break into houses and steal TV's, they steal millions from banks, corporations, etc., which have all of everyone elses money in there, and they get off with a fine and minimal jail time.

What most people want is easy money because they dont want to have to earn it. Further, money doesn't automatically make the world happy or stable. We're materialistic to the extreme here in the states to the point that people mortage their homes several times over just to keep up with the Joneses. Thats their problem for being stupid. It is a valid point that it is stupid to over-mortgage your home, but the fact remains that the richest 1% own 90% of everything. That is a massive mis-distribution of wealth. If wealth were distributed more evenly, everyone could be as materialistic as they wanted without having to resort to robbing people.

I agree we should legalize drugs and also prostitution. If prostitutes worked for the government they would be able to get medical testing for STDs, the government would take a cut like a pimp and keep the women and men safe, I mean its a market that they refuse to tap into. I agree.

Of course if I were the government i'd lace cyanide into the drug supply to weed out the undesireables on my planet but hey!I assume you are being sarcastic here......

That said... I feel drug dealers should be held accountable for peddling their wares. People overdose on illegal drugs all the time but you dont see the police taking down their dealer and charging them with manslaughter. Which is what I would do. Its the same as a bartender over-serving a person who drives home and kills themself or someone else. Someone has to be held accountable for enabling addicts. The greater solution is to break the cycle of addiction .. the government should work on that and give it to people in halfway houses and rehab centers. The police dont take down dealers and charge them with manslaughter because since the drug trade is illegal, dealers hide in the shadows, and it is difficult at best to determine which exact individual sold which drugs to which person. Many times drug overdoses are the result of people not having proper information on how much is safe to take. If you could buy drugs legally, information could be on the packaging, or you could just ask the pharmacist. And just because someone takes drugs, that doesnt make them an addict. Maijuana, for example, is not physically addicting. You may want to smoke it all the time, but if you stop, you dont go through withdrawal.

I believe in personal freedom, and feel that you do not have the right to tell me what I can and cant do, anymore that I have the right to tell you what you can and cant do. If you want to tell me that I cant drive on the same road while under the influence of drugs, the same public roads that you are driving on with your kids, then I dont have a problem with that. But I do have a problem with you telling me that I cant do drugs, or anything else for that matter, in the privacy of my own home.

MissJacksonCA
04-Jun-2007, 08:09 PM
My concern about legalizing drugs is simple... I dont want kids to do them and I fear that by legalizing curretnly illegal drugs its going to send the message that its okay. If the government legalizes them more people are going to start doing drugs and I fear what's going to happen to Americas roadways as if they're not unsafe enough with inebriated celebs, government officials speeding, etc.

I'm not talking about marajuana so much I feel that should ultimately be legal for medical reasons if nothing else i'm really speaking about coke, heroin, meth etc. Drugs that I feel people shouldn't use. But I'm all for legalizing them to get people to safely use them. The problem with that is of course people may still OD because they may want more and more. I dont know how those drugs affect people I mean my boss is a cokehead and an A*hole but that could just be his personality.

I was serious about the cyanide thing though. I dont understand the desire to do drugs or smoke cigarettes. If you want to die quit doing it slowly and kill yourself... i'll give ya the bullets. If you need drugs to enhance your life get a life because life is pretty damn wonderful!

I think if you want to be wealthy you can make that happen. I've seen people go from having absolutely nothing to being wealthy. And without a college education in one instance.

I do agree that being in the lower echelons of society you have a greater propencity to commit crime but that's not your only choice. And that's just what it is. A choice. And a lot of those people are drug addicts who rob for money to buy drugs. End the cycle of drug addiction man...

coma
05-Jun-2007, 02:08 AM
If you need drugs to enhance your life get a life because life is pretty damn wonderful! Sometimes life is wonderful, sometimes it sucks and is a total horror show.

I I think if you want to be wealthy you can make that happen. I've seen people go from having absolutely nothing to being wealthy. And without a college education in one instance.

My uncle came from absolutely nothing and has done very well, however most people work their nuts off and end up old barely making it. If getting wealthy was so easy everyone would be doing it.
Theres a reason why people who start from nothing (i dont mean that fake middle class nothing, I mean actual having zero opportunity) never say "anyone" can do it. Because its not true. Its a special story when it does, because it ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS. Its a carrot on a stick fantasy that only serves to get people to comply with a construct that is not designed to benefit them. I find it funny that often people who had many opportunities and advantages like private schooling etc claim to have a f**king clue what it's like to be disadvantaged in America. They dont. It is a supposition and impossible to know unless you've been there.. Even with advantages, many people go nowhere, so what then?Occam's razor is not a real law, because the simplest answer is not a;ways TRUE.

That said, being wealthy for the sake of just having bucks to lord over people is a pretty lame life goal. To have it as a tool, fine. As a weapon? No.

MissJacksonCA
05-Jun-2007, 02:30 AM
I never meant to say being wealthy is easy. And one persons idea of wealth can be vastly different from anothers. The thing about getting to a point where you have wealth is it takes a lot. And I mean A LOT of hard work and discipline and not everyone is as committed to that as the people who succeed are. So I dont begrudge the wealthy any of their spoils of hard labor. Granted, some people fall into money but they're not worth the TP I use on my rear end.

I feel everyone in the u.s. has a tremendous advantage to succeed, whether you do or not is directly related to your resolve. But again... I mean one persons definition of wealthy can be a far cry from someone elses. Perhaps to one person wealth is owning a home, a car, having a family and money in the bank to use when they take the wife and kiddies to Orlando and send their children to private schools and pay for kumon and piano lessons.

I personally am not independantly wealthy. I live in the bad part of town, my exploder seems to take joy in punishing me, I dont drop a lot of cash going out to bars with my friends, I save my cash when I can and I squeeze a nickel until the buffalo poops. But I work two and sometimes three jobs and I work hard at them. I go to school when I can and next year will be a full time student. Money doesn't matter to me personally. I've been going crazy trying to take my electric bill from $140 a month to $67 a month for the past few months. I know what it takes to be wealthy, I heard the story every day growing up from my dad... but frankly I dont need it. I take more joy from the free things than I do from what costs me money. I dont need to buy friends. I dont need to have a new car. I have a life, sometimes its the worst one and I wait for the floor to fall out from under me, sometimes I think i'm too damn lucky, but either way money doesn't rule my life. I've seen what it does to people. I dont want to be like them. For them nothings ever enough. I dont wanna be a slave to the American dollar (especially when it keeps dropping lol) but i'm just saying... its possible to earn your way up... thats all

DVW5150
05-Jun-2007, 08:48 PM
The American people have been lied to time & time again about the harm of marijuana. You cant overdose from pot, you just want Funyuns.
The message thats been sent :" Marijuana will make you crazy , and is a gateway to harder substances."
A big bag of sh!t lies from uncle scam.

The legalization of Marijuana sends a message of forced responsibility for parents.
I was instructed that pot was a reward for one that doesnt want the after-effects of alcohol.
Respect it as something in moderation.
Smoking too much at once can make you stupid though.

What would parents suddenly have to resort to to keep their kids off the vile weed?
" Oh my gawd, he has a violent-deadly marijuana taped to his leg."

Vigilante Justice would be a thing of the past, people would be too stoned to want to take action.

Philly_SWAT
06-Jun-2007, 11:16 AM
My concern about legalizing drugs is simple... I dont want kids to do them and I fear that by legalizing curretnly illegal drugs its going to send the message that its okay.
Ummmm.....kids are doing them! The mere fact that drugs are illegal, yet many use them, kind of adds an "its cool" factor to drugs, which I think if anything encourages kids to want to use them. If kids were given proper information about drugs, i.e. their short and long term effects on the body, the danger of addiction, etc. many would choose never to use them, even if they were legal. I happen to think that alcohol has the same potential for damage as other drugs, yet not only is it legal, but constantly promoted all over TV. Celebrities, poloiticians, and atheletes dont hesitiate to talk about drinking. That always seems weird to me.

If the government legalizes them more people are going to start doing drugs and I fear what's going to happen to Americas roadways as if they're not unsafe enough with inebriated celebs, government officials speeding, etc.
With proper education, I am not convinced that it is a fact that more people will use drugs if they were legal. In fact, I think compelling arguments could be made that less people would use them if they were legal, along with proper education efforts, not corny slogans like "just say no".

I'm not talking about marajuana so much I feel that should ultimately be legal for medical reasons if nothing else i'm really speaking about coke, heroin, meth etc. Drugs that I feel people shouldn't use. But I'm all for legalizing them to get people to safely use them. The problem with that is of course people may still OD because they may want more and more. I dont know how those drugs affect people I mean my boss is a cokehead and an A*hole but that could just be his personality. Here is the main point of your argument... "Drugs that I feel people shouldn't use". No offense, but who are you to make those judgements for everyone else? Yes, people may still OD if drugs were legal. But if they OD because they "want more and more", then that would be no different than under the current circumstances. But there would be less bad batches, weird stuff mixed in with the drugs, etc., if they were legal.

I was serious about the cyanide thing though. I dont understand the desire to do drugs or smoke cigarettes. If you want to die quit doing it slowly and kill yourself... i'll give ya the bullets. If you need drugs to enhance your life get a life because life is pretty damn wonderful!
So again, you are willing to make drastic choices for others, including PURPOSEFULLY KILLING THEM for doing something that you dont understand. That is quite a statement. Many anti-drug people unfortunately, like you, pronounce judgements while NEVER having used the drugs in question themselves. And use statements like "why do you need drugs to enhance your life". Many things all people do enhance their lives. How about watching movies, does that enhance your life? Having air conditioning? Having a car to get around? Having planes to quickly fly you across country? When you say that "life is pretty wonderful", what specifically are you talking about? If it is time spent with family and friends, you should work less to aquire a car, air conditioning, etc. and sit in poverty and talk to your family. Perhaps the Amish way of life would appeal to you. But it is a faulty argument on face value to say that life is great and you shouldnt need drugs to enhance it. Number one, without ever having used drugs yourself, you have no frame of reference to what that "enhancement" even is. And number 2, if you are against recreational drug use as some type of "bad" enhancement to life, then I dont see why you wouldnt be totally against other time wasting, life enhancers, such as TV, movies, video games, etc. Cyanide in drugs? What next, anthrax on video game controllers?

I think if you want to be wealthy you can make that happen. I've seen people go from having absolutely nothing to being wealthy. And without a college education in one instance.
This is true that you CAN become wealthy if you want, which will entail both some skill and some luck. But you originally said "Short of being mentally deficient there's no reason for people not to do whatever it takes to be wealthy legally." I totally disagree with that. A well educated, intelligent, thoughtful person could easily make a choice to not join the materialistic rat race, and live a happy live without being wealthy.

I do agree that being in the lower echelons of society you have a greater propencity to commit crime but that's not your only choice. And that's just what it is. A choice. And a lot of those people are drug addicts who rob for money to buy drugs. End the cycle of drug addiction man... Of course that is not your only choice, but it becomes a much more powerful choice. If drugs were legal, they would cost much less, and therefore reduce the desire to rob in order to get money to pay for overpriced, illegal drugs.

Terran
06-Jun-2007, 04:41 PM
Be careful Philly Swat....reason and logic are hardly embraced here :)....

So far I agree with what you have said...keep on keeping on...

MissJacksonCA
06-Jun-2007, 06:54 PM
Are you from the states? Schools do teach about long and short term side effects of every single illegal drug and cigarettes and alcohol! In a study done by the Canadiens they polled students and said why do you smoke despite the graphic photos of what cancer does to your body? And to that they responded... those are old people so they have time to smoke and enjoy life ...but the fact of the matter is that kids are too damn stupid to fully grasp the MANY ways that cigarettes and other drugs can affect them. Of course maybe they deserve to die horrible painful deaths hey what do I care? I'm only breathing in their polluted air.

With proper education less people will do drugs? You have to be kidding me. Everyone has access to a proper education on drugs, its called the internet. You can make them hear the facts but they dont care. People have no or little self control when it comes to drugs thats why they stoop low enough to do them.

I have something against people who do drugs, yes. Because odds are they weren't born addicted to drugs and there's no purposeful reason for them to do drugs. Why do they even start? I dont get it. And I have tried drugs. I tried cigarettes in high school and they tasted god awful. It was like breathing in fire and smoke and was the most disgusting thing in the world. I smoked pot after high school and numerous times. Didn't get anything from it (and before you argue the quality of the product I used I was smoking it up with my friend Sheri whos the biggest pothead in the world). I used extacy, meth, and coke and I've got news for you. They did nothing for me. I tried to spend two weeks of my life drinking like my mom to figure out if its going to numb me to the world like she seems to say it does but no. It just made me sick. People who use drugs make me sick.

Something interesting though takling about drugs... I love how kids today (and adults too of course) are taking prescriptions like xanax and oxycodone and such and justify getting a buzz from them by saying well its prescription medicine thats given by a doctor so its not going to hurt me. And yet its prescribed by a doctor for a person in paticular not for everyone. So if we legalize coke and the like I mean what's next? Legalizing everyone taking prescription meds?

Maybe saying that drugs enhance your life is a bad choice of words. Its weak to use drugs. I dont get why people begin. I dont get why they dont quit it.

I dont understand how alcohol and cigarettes can be legal either with all the damage they do to you as well.

We can agree to disagree on this one because I dont understand people who habitually use drugs, alcohol, and smoke. They're polluting themselves and deluding themselves if they think its okay. But thats my opinion. And its a hypocritical one because I made money in high school selling prescription sheets from my dads office and selling drugs he had in his office that I had access to. So perhaps i'm as bad as people who do drugs.

Philly_SWAT
06-Jun-2007, 07:05 PM
I dont want to get into a lengthy debate here, but I will respond to a couple of things you said here.

Everyone has access to a proper education on drugs, its called the internet.
Ummm....I hope you dont think that the answer the education is the internet? A place where anybody can post whatever they want, truthful or not? Plus, not everyone has the internet. Many are too poor to have it. Many make a purposeful choice not to have it. And many use it purely for entertainment purposes, not to edcate themselves.

Also, you use the term "I dont get" and "I dont understand" 5 times in this post. I submit that just because you dont understand something, that doesnt mean that it should be illegal, or that people who do something you dont understand are "bad".

And if you are one of the few people on this planet who are immune to the effects of pot, coke, meth, and X, that might explain why you seem to be so judgemental. You must have a very different body chemisty than the rest of us.

Maybe saying that drugs enhance your life is a bad choice of words. Its weak to use drugs.
You make pronouncements about the actions of others as if you are the ultimate authority on what others should do. It could be argued just as easily that it is weak to not use drugs, that you are too weak to expand your mind, and expose yourself to a different way of thinking.

I dont understand how alcohol and cigarettes can be legal either with all the damage they do to you as well.
Again, I say that a person should be allowed to make his or hers own choices in life. Again, supply a person with correct and unbiased information, and if they decide to do it anyway, that is their choice. Many things can damage us, should they all be illegal? No tall building cuz someone might fall off? No knives, someone might get stabbed? No rope, someone might hang themselves? No meat, someone might get clogged arteries?

MissJacksonCA
06-Jun-2007, 07:33 PM
The internet has vast resources provided by the government and non profits to help educate people of all ages on the evils of drugs.

The drugs I used didn't all have an effect on me but the ex and the coke did. The effects of the others were so insignificant it wasn't worth doing.

I said I dont get it and I dont understand because I'd like to. I'd love to know what its like for people who do drugs. Why they do them? How it started... etc. It beats saying I dont care. Unlike most people I'm interested in knowing more and i'm always waiting for someone who'll change my opinion.

And I think there's a tremendous difference between tall buildings and the danger someone might fall off one and a person who uses drugs. A person doesn't choose to fall. Meat will clog your arteries but thats part of a balanced diet and with proper diet and exercise you can live a strong healthy life and there's prescriptions to help with arterial flow. Rope and knives were created to assist in every day life if people wield them as weapons that's their own choice. You have a great point that many things can damage us but we dont all choose to damage ourselves.

Philly_SWAT
07-Jun-2007, 04:45 AM
I guess that overall, my main point is that it is not in line with the concept of "freedom" to make things illegal simply because you dont like or understand something. And again, government, at least American government, is supposed to fufill the "will of the people". What are commonly referred to as "illegal drugs" is a multi-billion dolalr industry. It is not a multi-billion dollar industry because a small handfull of people are using them. It is not a multi-billion dollar business because poor people are the main ones buying them. A very large amount of people are buying these drugs, of all ages, genders, races, etc. It appears that the "will of the people", at least a large amount of people, want to do these drugs. And our jails are clogged full of people in there because of drub related charges.

Don of the Dead
07-Jun-2007, 05:55 PM
Speaking as a man whos wife and sister-in-law are both vicitms of rape and as a man who's had his house broken into before, I"ll call the cops...
They'll have the best methods of taking the ****ers body away.

I don't own a gun, but I do keep a larger machete under my bed, I"ll give new meaning to the words "dis-armed"

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't own a gun, but I do keep a larger machete under my bed, I"ll give new meaning to the words "dis-armed"
Hehe, like it. :sneaky:

coma
07-Jun-2007, 10:07 PM
Speaking as a man whos wife and sister-in-law are both vicitms ..
Im sorry to hear that. Its a cold harsh world out there.

I dont have a machete, just a big ass cleaver I can wield wield with authority and My trusty Louieville slugger by the door. Home run!
I used to keep a homemade Zip gun by the bed when I was a kid.

Imo, simply doing drugs is ethically neutral. Its the things one does to harm others that is unethical. Occasionally indulging even in Hard Drugs doesnt make you evil and to think so is simplistic and unrealistic about human nature. When Life gets too much for me I occasionally (very) will spend an evening blasted on something or another. Its very occasional, but nothing bad happens and the next day Im good to go, better at having blew off steam. Not everyione can do that but that shouldnt be MY problem. Some people cant drive for sh*t, so I should lose my freedom cause some mook is irresponsible?? It also doesnt make me feel superior becasue I dont have a problem someone lese has. "But for the grace of God go I".

Mike70
08-Jun-2007, 04:32 AM
first off i think the american "justice" system abandoned rehabilitation a long time ago in favor of simply fraking with people psychologically/emotionally before setting them loose again the general population - very nice of a govt that is supposedly so worried about the avg person's welfare.

i'm not talking of rapists and murderers here but people that are in jail for ridiculously long times for the laughable crime of drug possession. the drug laws in this country were written by mickey mouse and jerry falwell (hell a little hot for you?) and make about as much sense as a collaboration between the two.

as for vigilante justice - sometimes, in limited circumstances, it is warranted and to be applauded. for example- i am a parent. if i were to catch ANYONE (no matter who) attempting to molest/physically harm my kids - i will kill them in blood where they stand and not think a thing about it. not only would i kill them i would be quite tempted to go Vorenus on said person (see the HBO series Rome) and carry their head through the streets as a trophy. i am deadly serious about this. as far as a person's children go - i don't feel that normal human law applies to that kind of situation. if i caught a person in the act, i would be judge, jury and executioner and would feel that i am totally within my "rights" as a parent to kill, maim, or mutilate said person as i saw fit.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jun-2007, 05:49 AM
Is when a person attacks you with a knife and lets say you defend yourself and wind up stabbing them lets say... stab their hand through their shoulder and turning them into a lefty or stab them in the leg and twisting the knife to give them a little reminder of just who not to contend with... will the police arrest you for excessive force and say... you shoulda defended yourself but not so violently instead perhaps sought a safer place to be and called us to take out the trash?

Don of the Dead
08-Jun-2007, 05:55 AM
Is when a person attacks you with a knife and lets say you defend yourself and wind up stabbing them lets say... stab their hand through their shoulder and turning them into a lefty or stab them in the leg and twisting the knife to give them a little reminder of just who not to contend with... will the police arrest you for excessive force and say... you shoulda defended yourself but not so violently instead perhaps sought a safer place to be and called us to take out the trash?

I've always been of the mind, if I own a gun, I'm keeping a screwdriver next to it, I"ll sneek up on the punk wisper "Catch" toss them the screwdriver, when they catch it, I'll give them an exsessive case of lead poisoning.

:He had a weapon officer, I had to shoot him"

MissJacksonCA
08-Jun-2007, 05:56 AM
don you're my hero and an inspiration to keep a screwdriver next to my baseball bat

DVW5150
08-Jun-2007, 10:36 PM
I dont want to get into a lengthy debate here, but I will respond to a couple of things you said here.Ummm....I hope you dont think that the answer the education is the internet? A place where anybody can post whatever they want, truthful or not? Plus, not everyone has the internet. Many are too poor to have it. Many make a purposeful choice not to have it. And many use it purely for entertainment purposes, not to educate themselves.

Also, you use the term "I dont get" and "I dont understand" 5 times in this post. I submit that just because you dont understand something, that doesnt mean that it should be illegal, or that people who do something you dont understand are "bad".

And if you are one of the few people on this planet who are immune to the effects of pot, coke, meth, and X, that might explain why you seem to be so judgmental. You must have a very different body chemistry than the rest of us.

You make pronouncements about the actions of others as if you are the ultimate authority on what others should do. It could be argued just as easily that it is weak to not use drugs, that you are too weak to expand your mind, and expose yourself to a different way of thinking.

Again, I say that a person should be allowed to make his or hers own choices in life. Again, supply a person with correct and unbiased information, and if they decide to do it anyway, that is their choice. Many things can damage us, should they all be illegal? No tall building cuz someone might fall off? No knives, someone might get stabbed? No rope, someone might hang themselves? No meat, someone might get clogged arteries?
:cool: :cool: :skull: