View Full Version : I was thinking...

MissJacksonCA
05-Jun-2007, 08:17 PM
ouch that hurts! :p anywho... last night as I realized my 173 channels have absolutely nothing of interest that perhaps we could start a thread on movie reccomendations... Everyone here shares a similar interest in horror flicks and there's a lot of movies on here people have mentioned that I watched and enjoyed... so lets hear it... who has a movie they'd like to reccomend? It would be appreciated if people would refer to the films genre too... and please... dont be deceitful... the undead is comedy not horror!

White Skin - Horror - 2000s - Its a French Canadien movie that has English dubbed over it but its a fabulous movie. Its barely scary but the stuff they talk about is deep. And in case anyone couldn't infer it from the title... its about vampires kinda/sorta.

Lets Scare Jessice To Death - Horror - 1970s - This is about a couple moving to a small town and of course... uh ohhh there's something weird about those townsfolk but it could just be Jessica since she used to be crazy

Long Distance - Suspense - 2000s - This movie is one of those there's a maniac on the other end of the line but I felt it was good. I think when they made it they were going to use a different ending but in any event the movie was good for what it was and the end was still groovy!

Danny
06-Jun-2007, 08:17 AM
aye i know a fair few.

funny games (i think): thriller, mid 70's i think, two guys show up at a familys lake retreat and hold them hostage they make them choose to kill thre son then theres a single ten minute shot of them afterwards, powerful stuff i gotta say.

city of god: novel adaption/ docudrama mid 90's, a story of some people growing up in the slums of rio, some really great cinema here, and theres a reason its allways considered one of the top 5 greatest films in cinematic history, more than alien and 2001, even stuff like the breakfast club.

casshern: real life adaptation of an anime 2003, a real life story of how a goverment building were people are cloning dead bodys for parts has a giant metal thunderbolt fall from the sky into the cloning vats, the pieces form together to make mutants who rebel against the humans, meanwhile the project creators dead son is also brought back to life as the warrior casshern, who then has fights rivalling the matrix visually as well as scale wise adn has possibly the most "wtf" ending ever but a great piece of asian cinema nonetheless.

the blair witch project: mocku-horror, mid 90's granted almost everyones seen it but if you havent and want something a bit different this is great.

trainspotting: novel adaptation: mid 90's, it has euan magregor climbing into a crapper full of hsit and swimming around to find a speosotory of drugs he just **** out, and thats in the first 15 minutes, wierd but great british film.

double indemnity: noir ,possibly the 50's, the grandaddy of all noir films, 100% stands the test of time and is one of my favourite pre 60's films, i can totally recommend it.

the whicker ma (NOT THE CAGE REMAKE!) 60/70'2, hard to genre define, is it horror?musical?,drama?, who can say, the only thing i can say is you'll never forget a scene involving the line "oh god!!, oh jesus christ!"

fartpants
06-Jun-2007, 04:03 PM
Demons 1 & 2, my all time fav non zombie horror films ( and still scary as hell).Also just seen Fido which is worth a viewing ( although the lead zombie looks uncannily like Billy Connelly )

bassman
06-Jun-2007, 04:23 PM
Although you've most likely seen them.....I gotsta say my two favorites, "Ghostbusters" and "Fight Club".:D

Philly_SWAT
06-Jun-2007, 04:28 PM
Good idea for a thread. I could name over 100, but to keep it short and reasonable, here is 3 movies that people may enjoy...

They Live - 1988. Science Fiction/Alien
If you are a John Carpernter fan, then enough said. Starring former wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper, this film has a cool premise, some funny, corny, dialogue, and perhaps he best, and longest, fistfight scene in any movie ever.

Rollerball - 1975. Science Fiction/Drama/Action
Not to be confused with the 2002 "remake" (which was OK in and of itself), this movie from Norman Jewison is truly awesome, in my opinion. James Caan as a futuristic "everyman", strikes a blow against oppression, and strikes many blows against fellow Rollerball players.

Memento - 2000. Category-Unsure
It is hard to place this movie in a category, is it so good and different than any movie I have ever seen. A movie that requires you to pay attention to every scene, every shot. The story is told in a very unique way, following the sequence of events from the end to the beginning. Its a movie when you are done watching, your brain kind of gets frozen for a while.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Jun-2007, 05:20 PM
Batman Begins - (2005, Comic Book Action)Best batman film ever made.

Die Hard - (1988, Action Suspense) Need I say more about this film.

American History X (1998, Drama, Coming of Age) Edward Nortons best role to date.

The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996, Drama) Woody Harrelson turns in a great performance as larry Flynt, the man behind hustler magazine who was dubbed in the Media as America's Pimp.

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 06:09 PM
Demons 1 & 2, my all time fav non zombie horror films ( and still scary as hell).

Great picks. Argento's best films imo. I've struggled to find anyone else who's ever seen them.

Another one of my personal favs that no one i know has seen.
The way of the gun- Staring- Ryan phillipe, Benicio del Torro, Juliet Lewis, Taye Diggs, Jimmy Caan. Convinced they'll score big money fastby kidnapping a young surrogate mothercarrying the child of a wealthy southwestern couple, two small caliber crooks soon run into major problems. Realizing too late that they're in over their heads, the kidnappers fight to keep their plan from unraveling amid a rising tide of bloodshed, mind games and greed.

MissJacksonCA
06-Jun-2007, 06:29 PM
Enduring Love - Thriller - 2000s
This movie was effing amazing! It takes you into the mind of a crazy person like never before and I thought the whole thing was very thought provoking. It also has one of the greatest gory scenes i've ever seen.

Suspect Zero - Thriller - 2000s
This is about an FBI agent tracking a serial killer who kills serial killers. Its a little hokey in parts but I thought it was neat how the guy tracked serial killers because it reminds me of the governments Stargate program.

They Live is quite possibly one of the greatest movies EVER.

If ya have a lady friend/wife I reccomend

Heights - Drama - 2000s
Its one of those everyones life intersects with everyone elses in some small way but can affect them profoundly. I liked it it's very carpe diem and the acting by every single cast member was amazing.

Danny
06-Jun-2007, 11:03 PM
i quite liked identity, -oh and the mothman prophecys hard to believe it being a richard gear film but thats one of my favuorite hollywood movies past 2000, great story, never fully reaveals what the "monster" of the piece is and yet you left feeling like youve seen a complete story and remain entertained till the end.

MissJacksonCA
06-Jun-2007, 11:05 PM
I had a coworker from that town ...agreed that its an awesome film and very entertaining.

Kinda felt like after watching Identity it ruined the ability to watch it again because you knew too much.

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 11:48 PM
Debbie can't stop talking about how they filmed that movie near her house. Ask her sometime, she loves to tell that story. lol :p

Danny
07-Jun-2007, 12:20 AM
if you aint seen the mothman prophecys heres the trialer, its based on true events which makes watching it in a cinema wheni was about, i dunno 14 maybe at the time all the more creepy.

jP4P7VPx2zM

heres identitys

rTYL1hm9YuA if you like silent hill youll like identity, and while were on the subject of hollywood thrillers that dont suck major balls it may have tons of naysayers but f-em i dug nicole kidmans "the others" starring christopher "the doctor" eclleston a ghost story set in the early 20th century, a great movie for a dvd marathon, in fact i may watch all 3 later on.

...couldnt find an actual trailer, all the others turned up was emo vids of lost with evanesence songs:rolleyes: , hope this will satisfy ya instead:lol:

16acC5BHfvs