PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR MMO in development?

capncnut
05-Jun-2007, 08:26 PM
Okay, this (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162675) news is a month old and a little light on info but I just had to post it anyway.

KOTOR MMO in development?

BioWare has formed a new online team to create a Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic massively multiplayer online game, EGM reports.

No further details were reported in the rumour section of the US magazine but we've taped our fingers crossed. KOTOR is one of our favourite Star Wars games ever and the thoughts of an online MMO is, frankly, too much to take in.

The magazine also reports on a few other BioWare-related rumours. The current PC-exclusive Dragon Age is coming to PS3 and the DS currently in development at the mega-studio looks to be from the Baldur's Gate franchise. They're all rumours at the moment but we'll keep you updated with any announcements.

darth los
05-Jun-2007, 11:55 PM
I've heard of this, but that doesn't make it any less awesome.:D KOTOR is the game that got me into RPG's. I thought they were all like Final Fantasy. Since I'm a rabid star wars fan I said what the hell and picked it up. I freaking loved it and it paved the way for me topick up games like Oblivion. Sign me up right now!:)

capncnut
06-Jun-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah, the first KOTOR has to be one of the best games ever made for the original Xbox. No other game has remotely come to close to giving you the Star Wars experience. KOTOR 2 was initially underwhelming but seriously improves on repeated plays, the areas might've been a little less familiar but the story was top flight.

Now just think of how a virtual Tattooine would look with the 360's power? I'm seriously salivating at the prospect of going into the Toshi station to pick up some power converters. :D

AcesandEights
06-Jun-2007, 08:40 AM
I had almost forgotten how much fun I had playing KOTOR. Fun f***in' game.

Eyebiter
06-Jun-2007, 12:38 PM
Much as I enjoyed both of the KOTOR games, question the wisdom of making the next one a MMO. How long the MMO bandwagon will keep going? After all there are only a set number of potential subscribers that are willing to pay $10-20 per month to play a particular game. At some point one MMO game will have to leech players from another to stay afloat. Witness the rise of World of Warcraft and the decline of several other MMO's. Also if a KOTOR MMO is developed then what happens to Sony's Star Wars Galaxies? Wouldn't that hurt an established franchise using the SW license?

darth los
06-Jun-2007, 04:58 PM
Much as I enjoyed both of the KOTOR games, question the wisdom of making the next one a MMO. How long the MMO bandwagon will keep going? After all there are only a set number of potential subscribers that are willing to pay $10-20 per month to play a particular game. At some point one MMO game will have to leech players from another to stay afloat. Witness the rise of World of Warcraft and the decline of several other MMO's. Also if a KOTOR MMO is developed then what happens to Sony's Star Wars Galaxies? Wouldn't that hurt an established franchise using the SW license?

The truth is that most MMO's tank. However something of this nature is almost a lock to do well because of the rabid following that the star wars franchise has. I've played star wars galaxies and was very underwhelmed. If the kotor mmo is anything like the game it should kick galaxies ass.

Yeah, the first KOTOR has to be one of the best games ever made for the original Xbox. No other game has remotely come to close to giving you the Star Wars experience. KOTOR 2 was initially underwhelming but seriously improves on repeated plays, the areas might've been a little less familiar but the story was top flight.

Now just think of how a virtual Tattooine would look with the 360's power? I'm seriously salivating at the prospect of going into the Toshi station to pick up some power converters. :D

The problem in kotor 2 is that you eventually became way too powerful. It ceased to become challenging toward the end when a game is suppossed to increase in difficulty. Also i didn't like the cliffhanger they left us on. We need a resolution to that storyline.

Eyebiter
07-Jun-2007, 01:02 AM
KOTOR 2 wasn't finished when it was released. Bad enough several areas were reused from the first game. But then a large amount of content was left out to speed up the ship date. Right now there is a fan effort to restore / develop the missing content into a patch for the PC version.

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 01:18 AM
You just confirmed what i already suspected, that to capitalize on the success of the first game they released it before it was ready. Trying to stike while the iron was hot so to speak. I don't doubt what you say for a second because throughout the game i got the distinct feeling that something was off.

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 10:47 AM
KOTOR 2 wasn't finished when it was released. Bad enough several areas were reused from the first game. But then a large amount of content was left out to speed up the ship date. Right now there is a fan effort to restore / develop the missing content into a patch for the PC version.
The game felt unfinished tbh but this new fan patch sounds interesting. They are selling the PC version KOTOR 2 really cheap in GameStation too.

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh sure, rub it my lowly console only having face, you pc gamer. :mad: :p

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey, I'm no PC gamer but things like this certainly make me wanna be one.

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 09:09 PM
I just could never play with a mouse and keyboard. I realize that many games have peripherals that allow you to bypass this as well. Oh, and that pricetag of a powerful gaiming computer is a big turnoff.:( Any way I could do it on the cheap?

capncnut
08-Jun-2007, 02:34 AM
The problem in kotor 2 is that you eventually became way too powerful. It ceased to become challenging toward the end when a game is suppossed to increase in difficulty. Also i didn't like the cliffhanger they left us on. We need a resolution to that storyline.
And I thought that lengthy dialogue sequence at the end was boring and anti-climactic. I was expecting something a little more dazzling tbh.

darth los
08-Jun-2007, 02:49 PM
All it did ws raise more questions than answers. Now there saying they don't even know if they're even going to make part three which is just wrong. It's not like it didn't seel well because it wasn't a good game, it just wasn't as good as it's predecessor.