PDA

View Full Version : Yeah so ive just finished reading Cell..

Andy
06-Jun-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah i know im late, wont go into details in case there is anyone else out there who is reading it but i have to say, i was severely disappointed with the ending.

Anyone else?

AcesandEights
06-Jun-2007, 09:43 PM
***Minor Spoilers***

Yeah i know im late, wont go into details in case there is anyone else out there who is reading it but i have to say, i was severely disappointed with the ending.

Anyone else?

I wasn't so much let down by the ending, as I ended with a sense of slightly let down adequacy.

I've never bothered to read anything from Stephen King, so I expected something truly frightening, with great characterization and a horrible ending. The book was okay. Some of the characters, especially the triumvirate of main survivors, were great and some of the parts and ideas were executed very well (i.e. the outbreak as it occurred in Boston). But I was a bit underwhelmed. Creepy, but not scary, I suppose. Some detail, but not the voluminous sort of details I was led to believe were part and parcel of King's work.

Likewise, the ending was okay, in my opinion, just very personal with regards to the main character, which I can see how it could have disapointed some people. Likewise, I can see how for some people, who wanted huge fireworks at the end and a smart, never-see-it-comin' conclusion to the whole climax, may have felt things did not come to a proper crescendo.

I was glad I read it. It was decent, but not fantastic.

tkane18
06-Jun-2007, 09:47 PM
Since most people don't like the endings of King's books, how would you have ended Cell? (just curious)

Danny
06-Jun-2007, 11:14 PM
^ what he said i think it was a great book, people just expected the typical zombie type ending of escapeing when things goe tits up, but yeah the way the girl died by getting hit by a bick to the ehad by a passer by was so unexpected and tragic that it really hit home the characters werent the indestructable heroes and gunslingers were sued to, great book and i think people dislike the ending so much it causes em to see the whole thing in a bad light.

Kaos
07-Jun-2007, 12:55 AM
^ what he said i think it was a great book, people just expected the typical zombie type ending of escapeing when things goe tits up, but yeah the way the girl died by getting hit by a bick to the ehad by a passer by was so unexpected and tragic that it really hit home the characters werent the indestructable heroes and gunslingers were sued to, great book and i think people dislike the ending so much it causes em to see the whole thing in a bad light.

I enjoyed it as well. I wonder how the movie will do with Eli Roth at the helm?

th_deadhead
07-Jun-2007, 01:48 AM
i too thought it was a good book. its been a while since i read it. may have to get it back out. i would think the movie would be halfway decent as long as they stay as close to the book as possible. kings books kind of get screwed in the conversion.

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 10:54 AM
I thought it was good, not his best, but really good. It baffles me as to why it is so underrated.

fartpants
07-Jun-2007, 08:53 PM
i agree the ending was just one big disappointment, it really annoyed me as i thought the rest of the book was o.k but the whole book was ruined by the end. Its almost like he got bored of writing it and just rushed the ending to get the book out of the way.

Andy
08-Jun-2007, 10:13 PM
Since most people don't like the endings of King's books, how would you have ended Cell? (just curious)

Well this is just me personally but

I would like to know what happened to johnny, if he is ok after he receives a second blast of the pulse or not.. and if so, what next? do they make a home for themselves or go out in search of tom and jordan? and then again what if johnny is not ok then what clay does then.. does he kill him and leave in search of tom and jordan alone? or does he kill himself, or maybe he gives himself a dose of the pulse so he and johnny can truely be together again.. i just dont like open ended stories :)

Danny
09-Jun-2007, 07:46 AM
never read the final volume of the dark tower, seriously andy.dont.

-if any of youve read it youll knwo what i mean:D