PDA

View Full Version : as hurricane season approaches... a question

MissJacksonCA
06-Jun-2007, 10:46 PM
As hurricane season approaches the U.S. i'm wondering what everyones opinion is on people who leave behind pets when the storm approaches. This question is inspired by Hurricane Katrina and people who left their dogs chained outside to face the horror of a hurricane and left pets inside and bailed outta town. During the aftermath the pets who survived were adopted out to people who were willing to take them in and have since been sued by the pets origional owners to get their animals back.

Personally I feel if you're heartless enough to leave a pet to die in a hurricane you not only deserve to be chained out during a similar weather occurrence but also gave up any privilege to have an animal ever again because obviously you're a fair weather pet owner. What also personally fascinates me is that its illegal to mistreat an animal but apparently not to skip town and let them fend for themselves.

MikePizzoff
06-Jun-2007, 11:47 PM
In a state of panic, like that, I can see how people would leave behind pets. Sometimes there just wouldn't be any choice. It's sad, I know, but I think it was out of the hands of a lot of people.

Although, I do agree that they should NOT be able to get their pets back after abandoning them like that.

DVW5150
07-Jun-2007, 12:48 AM
Situations that dictate a sacrifice , call for extreme tenacity.
Its easy to say until you are in that situation.
Alot of the people that have left animals behind had to because there was no room in the transportation used for evac.
How is it decided what circumstances (in a hurricane evacuation) are "beyond your control"?
The whole sh!t fit is beyond everyones control.
I feel no need to judge folk that have lost everything.
If they lost their pet because they left em behind due to instructions told by a salty state side sgt in the National G...

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 01:24 AM
Frst off let me say that i know animals have a special place in alot of homes and that they are often treated as family. I for one stopped having pets because when my last dog died i was inconsolable and bawled like a baby. However, it depends on the situation. In the end they are animals and should not be compared to human life. If the opportunity was there to take them and they were purposely and uncoscionably left behind that's just wrong and god will deal with them. But if taking an animal along would put any human lives at risk, leaving them behind is not only very sad but nescesary. I personally would hate to have to make that call.

MissJacksonCA
07-Jun-2007, 10:41 AM
I just feel that when you become a pet owner you have a responsibility. Whether you live in Utah where nothing happens or in Florida where there could be a hurricane once a month during summer. Its when people leave behind their pets without taking precautions for their safety that they're no longer human. What differentiates us from them is our thinking and conscience that we haven't established they have yet. What's more is what pets do for you. Dogs smell out cancer, lead the blind, detect drugs and bombs, protect people. Cats are generally lazy and selfish but they do extend your life and have been known to wake their owners to gas leaks and carbon monoxide at dangerous levels.

I'm certainly not suggesting that people leave behind their kids to take Mr Peepers outta harms way. But during major weather problems you leave your dog on a leash outside? Justify just that. I will judge the pet owners who did that. They didn't care. And before someone points out that i'm not a vegetarian at least when they slaughter cows its not done by means of drowning them or letting flying debris tear them apart.

I also understand that not everyone in the states affected by Katrina had a personal method of transportation and of course you can't bring your pets onto a bus with other people but that doesn't for a second excuse leaving a pet outside tied to a leash. Whats more is there are shelters people can take their pets to. Thankfully in the aftermath of Katrina and last years storm season a lot of people have gotten together to form charities that specifically will address the issue of pets during weather emergencies such as housing them safely and rescuing them from the people who left them behind.

Graebel
07-Jun-2007, 11:31 AM
A lot of people don't have proper carrying devices/ or even leashes for their pets. Thus they have nowhere to put them and no way to carry them out.

Don't get me started. I would never abandon my critters.

Cody
07-Jun-2007, 12:44 PM
living in florida with hurricanes always sucks. i think were gonna get the big one this time

Philly_SWAT
07-Jun-2007, 03:56 PM
This is a tricky question. Many times, I feel bad for animals in general as far as their treatment by humans goes. On the one hand, we love our dogs and cats. On the other hand, we raise chickend with the sole purpose of getting eggs from them, and them eventually kill them for the meat. They live their whole lives in a little cage. Some places even cut of their beaks when they are young, to avoid being pecked. Then again, humans are meat eaters, and I like chicken and eggs, so what could be done different? I think at least animals we raise for the sole intent to kill them should at least be raised "free range", meaning they have freedom of movement while they are alive.

As far as Katrina stuff goes, I would do whatever I could to save my animals, but if it came to them vs. a person, I would go with the person. I definately wouldnt leave them chained up. I had also thought, imagine what would have happened in all those people at the SUperdome had pets with them? No doubt, starving people with no help in sight would have stolen others pets and killed and ate them, which would have been traumatic for all.

MissJacksonCA
07-Jun-2007, 07:42 PM
husband should be ablee to take care of himself lol...

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 09:41 PM
No doubt, starving people with no help in sight would have stolen others pets and killed and ate them, which would have been traumatic for all.

You mean when they weren't watching their plasma tv's that they found? :p