PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Cocktail

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 12:50 PM
Anyone ever drank a Zombie? It's a rum based cocktail that was named because of it's zombie-type effect on the drinker - not only that but it also blows your head off! :D

The Zombie is an exceptionally strong cocktail made of fruit juices, liqueurs, and various rums, so named for its perceived effects upon the drinker. It first appeared in the late 1930s, invented by Donn Beach (formerly Ernest Raymond Beaumont-Gannt) of Hollywood's Don the Beachcomber restaurant. It was popularized soon afterwards at the 1939 New York World's Fair.

Beach concocted it one afternoon for a friend who had dropped by his restaurant before flying to San Francisco. The friend left after having consumed three of them. He returned several days later to complain that he had been turned into a zombie for his entire trip. Its smooth, fruity taste works to conceal its extremely high alcoholic content. For many years the Don the Beachcomber restaurants limited their customers to two Zombies apiece. According the original recipe, there are the equivalent of 7.5 ounces (2.2 dl) of alcohol in a single Zombie; this is the same as drinking three and a half cocktails made with a fairly generous 2 ounces (0.6 dl) of alcohol per drink. The restaurant limit of two Zombies, therefore, would be the equivalent of 7 regular cocktails such as a Manhattan or Scotch on the rocks.

I saw a few posts on this subject elsewhere but none that actually reveal the contents, there are many different variations but here are the most popular ones.

Ingredients
1 part white rum
1 part golden rum
1 part dark rum
1 part apricot brandy
1 part pineapple juice
1 part papaya juice
½ part 151-proof rum
Dash of Grenadine or other syrup

Preparation
Shake all ingredients except the 151-proof rum in a shaker with ice. Strain into a collins or hurricane glass filled with ice cubes. Float the 151-proof rum on top. Garnish with pineapple and cherry. Because of the high proof rum, this cocktail could be lit if desired.

*Alternative recipe
Here is another recipe that is probably close to what the original version was. Don the Beachcomber originally used 5 or 6 kinds of Caribbean rum that are no longer easily available in the United States, so generic rums have been specified. The following ingredients are supposedly for 1 drink but, with sufficent ice in 2 or 3 glasses, can actually make 2 or 3 very potent drinks.

Ingredients
4 ounces or 8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup water
3/4 ounce or 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 ounce or 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce or 1 tablespoon sugar syrup
1 ounce or 2 tablespoons dark rum
1 ounce or 2 tablespoons golden rum
1 ounce or 2 tablespoons white rum
1 ounce or 2 tablespoons 151-proof rum
1-1/4 ounces or 2-1/2 tablespoons spiced golden rum
3/4 ounce or 1-1/2 tablespoons Cherry Heering
1/2 ounce or 1 tablespoon Falernum syrup
2 dashes or scant 1/2 teaspoon Pernod or other anisette-flavored pastis
3 dashes or scant 3/4 teaspoon Grenadine

Preparation
Shake with 4 ice cubes, then pour into 1, 2, or 3 highball glasses that have been filled with crushed ice.
Anyone sampled? :elol:

MissJacksonCA
07-Jun-2007, 08:20 PM
As a professional bartender by trade I not only make the perfect zombie drinks but I of course enjoy them very much. If you like a long isle... you'll love most zombie cocktails... Its hard to get them if you're not in a really well stocked bar and until South Carolina ditched mini bottles it was hard to actually make one for less than like $50 dollars... but if you can find a capable and competent bartender who can make any of the variations have one they're all great.... here's my fav

1 oz Light Rum
1/2 oz Creme de Noyaux
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1 1/2 oz Sour Mix
1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
1/2 oz 151 Proof Rum

Directions
Fill Mixing Glass with Ice
Add Light Rum, Creme de Noyaux, Triple Sec, Sour Mix and Orange Juice
Strain into a Collins glass filled with Ice
Top with 151 Proof Rum
Garnish with a Cherry

There's also a 'walking dead' cocktail I had once but never found the recipe hmmm...

capncnut
07-Jun-2007, 09:42 PM
Directions
Fill Mixing Glass with Ice
Add Light Rum, Creme de Noyaux, Triple Sec, Sour Mix and Orange Juice
Strain into a Collins glass filled with Ice
Top with 151 Proof Rum
Garnish with a Cherry
Neat variation, sounds mouthwatering.

darth los
07-Jun-2007, 09:54 PM
It definitely sounds more affordable cap. I might just have to go and try me one. Thnx guys Another way to further corode my liver. :D

Cody
09-Jun-2007, 01:01 AM
I thought about doing the bartending gig before, wanetd to go to a school for it.

MissJacksonCA
09-Jun-2007, 01:21 AM
You dont have to pay for bartending school always... look for brand new restaurants and bars that are preparing to open and they often hire people who have no or minimal experience and fully train them as bartenders for a few weeks before they open.