PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! STOP using TorrentSpy NOW!!!

MikePizzoff
11-Jun-2007, 11:22 PM
Apparenly, as of today, the MPAA has ordered TorrentSpy to record the details of all of it's users and hand over reports (daily? weekly?) so they can see what people have been downloading. Not cool. I'm never touching that site again...

...not that I ever did... :shifty:

capncnut
11-Jun-2007, 11:25 PM
Yes, interspecies erotica lovers BEWARE! :D

EvilNed
11-Jun-2007, 11:26 PM
They tried to shut down the Swedish site Pirate Bay too. Infact, they "raided" their HQs. Two days later, the Pirate Bay servers were up again - in Holland.

**** you MPAA. Torrentspy, heed my advice, move your servers out of the US.

Andy
11-Jun-2007, 11:49 PM
May i remind you all of our rules regarding illegal topics..

Topics relating to violating copyright law and providing or asking for information on how to obtain material protected by copyright law is strictly forbidden. Topics which infringe this include, but are not limited to:-

Any information on, or links to sites giving information on, how to infringe copyrighted material.
Links to, or any information on, sites offering Torrent files, or direct links to torrent files (or similar).
Links to, or any information on, sites offering Hacks or Cracks for games, or other files which illegally modify software, or direct links to such files.
Links to, or any information on, P2P (Peer to Peer) sharing software. We are aware that many legal files are transferred via P2P software, but we also know that it is mainly used for illegal files; therefore there is a complete carpet ban on these systems.
ANY other topic believed by a member of staff to be illegal or inappropriate.

Such posts will be immediately removed and the user warned. A thread may be closed if it is clear that information concerning illegal activities is intended to be shared, based on the nature of the thread itself.

Now so far this topic has not infringed this rule so i will keep it open as a news item ONLY, it is however borderline.. this is a licensed forums and we cannot allow any links or discussions on the subject of any torrent or P2P sharing sites, in short any post that reveals a link to a site, enough infomation to find a site or mentions any sites which are still running and operational which can be found will be deleted, action will be taken against the member who posted it and the this topic will be closed.

kapeesh? :shifty:

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 01:04 AM
Apparenly, as of today, the MPAA has ordered TorrentSpy to record the details of all of it's users and hand over reports (daily? weekly?) so they can see what people have been downloading. Not cool. I'm never touching that site again...

...not that I ever did... :shifty:

Sadly, no privacy is the price we pay for the high tech way of life we've become so accustomed to living. :(

Cody
12-Jun-2007, 01:38 AM
itunes man.

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 01:40 AM
itunes man.

And actually pay for music!?! :eek: Oh hell no!!

Cody
12-Jun-2007, 01:41 AM
well, when it really doesnt put a minor dent in your budget im down for it

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 02:07 AM
I don't know about you but i have over 3,00 songs that if I would have paid a dollar each for, i'd be piss poor. I probably wouldn't even download music. Anyhow, it sure beats 10 years a go when you had to buy cd's a sam goody's. ( remember that)? How prehistoric. :bored:

Terran
12-Jun-2007, 02:40 AM
Where did you hear this news from...?

I would think more people would be talking about it ....even on like "reputable" news sites

Cody
12-Jun-2007, 02:58 AM
get him terran

Terran
12-Jun-2007, 03:18 AM
Get him?....

Huh?....

No Im just really curious about the circumstances surrounding this new issue

MikePizzoff
12-Jun-2007, 04:59 AM
Fist off, Andy, I didn't think it was TOO close to being an illegal topic. Sorry if it was.

Second off, Terran, I heard it on G4TV about 1 minute before I posted it.

Thirdly, everybody, you should pay for all of your music, movies, video games, programs, books, audio books, television shows, etc.

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 05:03 AM
i love it when people say that we should pay for that stuff. It's like if you don't you'll get sued. A critic last week had the balls to review hostell 2 and admit that it was a bootleg version he saw. He of course said it was wrong to do stuff like that but didn't apologize for doing it. :confused: everybody does it, and you should be ashamed guys.:mad:

MikePizzoff
12-Jun-2007, 05:09 AM
you should be ashamed guys.:mad:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

EvilNed
12-Jun-2007, 08:05 AM
According to the Torrentspy site, it hasn't happened yet. But they're going up to court in any minute.

MinionZombie
12-Jun-2007, 11:14 AM
My view of the whole downloading "thing" is that people just simply cannot afford to purchase every bit of media they wish to consume. This is a media heavy society, there are so many bands, so many movies and so many tv shows, you can't possibly buy them all - unless you're rich, and the vast majority of the world are not rich.

Buy things you really want, things you know you'll love, but download the 3 star or below stuff (movies like Employee of the Month, just saying, that kind of stuff that generally turns out to be pretty naff and only one-watch/listen/play stuff).

I've got shedloads of purchased games/cds/movies, I've got over 300 DVDs and continue to buy them, heck, I've got Pirates of the Caribbean 2 coming soon, I've got a game and a CD on pre-order.

But people consume a lot of media, and not everything is worth dropping cash on, it just isn't.

And then there's the case of people downloading stuff, just to have something to download. I've seen it many times before, one of my housemates would do that constantly, he'd download all the time, but rarely watched/listened to/played whatever he downloaded, he'd use some of it, but especially with games he'd download them, burn them off and then file them away in a box. :lol:

It was like a hobby or something, the actual act of downloading, counting down megabytes and percentages, really weird. :lol:

*sigh* My computer crashed, so I lost the last chunk of the text I'd written, can't remember what it was, too lazy to re-write it, and I'm hungry for lunch. :D

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 11:46 AM
My view of the whole downloading "thing" is that people just simply cannot afford to purchase every bit of media they wish to consume. This is a media heavy society, there are so many bands, so many movies and so many tv shows, you can't possibly buy them all - unless you're rich, and the vast majority of the world are not rich.

Buy things you really want, things you know you'll love, but download the 3 star or below stuff (movies like Employee of the Month, just saying, that kind of stuff that generally turns out to be pretty naff and only one-watch/listen/play stuff).

I've got shedloads of purchased games/cds/movies, I've got over 300 DVDs and continue to buy them, heck, I've got Pirates of the Caribbean 2 coming soon, I've got a game and a CD on pre-order.

But people consume a lot of media, and not everything is worth dropping cash on, it just isn't.

And then there's the case of people downloading stuff, just to have something to download. I've seen it many times before, one of my housemates would do that constantly, he'd download all the time, but rarely watched/listened to/played whatever he downloaded, he'd use some of it, but especially with games he'd download them, burn them off and then file them away in a box. :lol:

It was like a hobby or something, the actual act of downloading, counting down megabytes and percentages, really weird. :lol:

*sigh* My computer crashed, so I lost the last chunk of the text I'd written, can't remember what it was, too lazy to re-write it, and I'm hungry for lunch. :D

I totally agree with that point. Most movies/cd's simply don't warrant their retail price. I've been wanting to watch van wilder: the rise of taj for months now simply because i loved the first one. I held off though and recently got it on pay per view. What a steaming pile of dog sh*t that was. If i would have paid 20 bucks for it, somebody would have ahd to die. j/k. Maybe if they would make better films people would actually buy them. For right now though. People are gonna do what they're gonna do.

MinionZombie
12-Jun-2007, 12:59 PM
Well you see this is the thing, it's all subjective, each to their own. Some people will really enjoy some old crap like Tokyo Drift, and others will enjoy things with a bit more substance.

But basically, if you really enjoy something, then buy it. Of course there are times when you might download something that you had no idea about, or weren't sure whether you'd love it or hate it, but you end up really digging it - then afterwards, you might remain with your download, but you also might actually go out and buy it. I saw all the Kevin Smith films on downloads, but I then sought out the DVDs of them all, and have also bought books related to Kevin Smith. I enjoy his films, so I support them, like with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, snapped up those DVDs ASAP, even got the Shaun OST, and I very rarely buy soundtracks, because I don't often listen to OSTs that much, or I do for a while and then stop, but I was (and still am) mad for Shaun of the Dead, so I bought it.

Some DVDs/CDs/games are massively overpriced though, it's about finding a competitive and decent price for something, and of course, sales always help, they inspire me to buy more anyway - although a proper sale, none of that fake sale crap like DFS who flog sofas for £1000 off all year round, or so they'd have you believe. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the MPAA and so on continue to fail to recognise the culture behind downloading, and until they do they'll just continue to be dickheads about it. It's very rare for someone to download everything and never buy anything, and likewise it's very rare for someone to buy everything (because it's physically and monetarily impossible for the vast majority).

If I had plenty of throw away cash for DVDs and so on, then aye I'd most likely go on massive DVD buying benders - kinda like Kevin Smith does, so he's said on his blog anyway - but I don't have that cash, so I can't, so it's about targetting the best buys for yourself - e.g. Hot Fuzz, or certain videogames or whatever.

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 01:40 PM
Hot fuzz seems to be getting good reviews. Is it worth buying?

Danny
12-Jun-2007, 01:44 PM
totally.

now i download music files every so often, like if i hear of a new band ill download a few tracks and then if i really like em get the cd but i dont download movies purely becuase if i want to make movies for a living in my later life i dont think itd be cool with karma to watch other peoples stuff for free when you would expect them to pay for yours.

as for copyed games screw that i only buy the real deal from games stores, i cant stand copys last one i got was grandia for my dreamcast (r.i.p little buddy:( ) and it froze during the first boss fight every time, needless to say kinda put me off copied games.

darth los
12-Jun-2007, 01:48 PM
There are definitely certain media who haven't perfected their pirated versions. Music is great. But bootleg dvd's have a long way to go. For me it's either a real copy or nothing. Haven't tried games yet though and from the sound of your experience i won't.