PDA

View Full Version : Anyone believe in ghosts?

MissJacksonCA
12-Jun-2007, 05:40 PM
Just curious... I think this is another one of those 'if you believe no evidence is necessary and if you dont no proof could ever be enough' things...

I believe in ghosts... I think my moms house in Hudson, Ohio was haunted too... its a historic village style town and she had one of the older homes in town and the places scared the living crap out of me. Later I believed our cabin in Canada was haunted when I was making some food and a bottle of mustard moved across the counter towards me. I told my mom in both instances and she looked at me like I was crazy (which wasn't an odd look for her to give me per se) but eventually I think she came to think maybe it was too.

They say Charleston is deeply haunted possibly because of its sordid history and there's a ton of ghost tours and carriage tours but i've been on them all numerous times and feel and see nothing. A lot of people I used to work with all said they had personal experiences but hey who knows.

Danny
12-Jun-2007, 06:19 PM
i do and i dont, i have read anythign i could find on the paranormal since i was about 4, loved ghost stories and halloween more than christmas, that said if someone shows me evidence i will do my damndest to try adn dsiprove it, that way if i cant explain it, adn most of the times if you think it over rationally you can then it really is somethign special.

Cody
12-Jun-2007, 07:11 PM
you should of made a poll! :(

Kinda.

DeadJonas190
13-Jun-2007, 03:40 AM
I believe in ghosts. I believe my house is haunted, I have seen a little girl on multiple occasions and my neice and nephews toys in the spare room can be heard being played with sometimes at night. It's pretty crazy.

MissJacksonCA
13-Jun-2007, 03:42 AM
I dunno how to make a poll codes... my bad

So uh Jonas... when's the sleepover?

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 03:53 AM
Is it a given that if you believe in ghosts then you believe in god? I've heard many stories, my grandmother even says she saw jesus. I'd have to say no, but i'm an open minded person. If I was confronted with incontrovertable evidence i'd probably change my mind.

coma
13-Jun-2007, 04:02 AM
...If I was confronted with incontrovertable evidence i'd probably change my mind.
Short answer NO
Long answer..What you said:D

However,It would be pretty cool. But Alien Life would get me more stoked.
I have had no experience with ghosts so it's easy for me to not believe.
I have, not very long ago, had a bizarre telekinetic experience (like an ESP thing). I don't believe in that stuff, but yet, there it was. I experienced it and it was actually pretty terrifying. It made me doubt much of my ultra skepticism. I still haven't sorted out my feelings on it yet.

MissJacksonCA
13-Jun-2007, 04:03 AM
There was a time in my life I didn't believe in God but I still believed in ghosts. I know that people say demons are fallen angels I believe but ... that's not the same thing as a ghost from what I gather. Beliving that there's some kind of life after death I dont think correlates to religon because its not hell and that sure can't be heaven.

why d'ya ask d-lo

I've never seen Jesus lol... I know some people say they see saints but as I recall I've only heard people seeing Jesus and his other half in tortillas and mold... hmmm oh but people who say they see Jesus also die and become saints... I think... damnit religon is a waste of time if I dont know this crud!

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 04:05 AM
I definitely think that there are things in this world that can't be explained. I think that it's way more likely that aliens exist than ghosts. We can actually prove that there are other planets. No such claim can be made about ghosts and an etherial plane of existence. Ever notice that the same people that believe in ghosts are usually religious and therefore refuse to believe in extraterrestrial life? :rockbrow:

Debbieangel
13-Jun-2007, 04:06 AM
i do and i dont, i have read anythign i could find on the paranormal since i was about 4, loved ghost stories and halloween more than christmas, that said if someone shows me evidence i will do my damndest to try adn dsiprove it, that way if i cant explain it, adn most of the times if you think it over rationally you can then it really is somethign special.

hellsing have you watched that show "Ghost Hunters"? its on the scifi channel they try to debunk places that say that they are haunted. I like it myself because they don't give you a bunch of bunk Imo.
I find the show very interesting, it is on wednesday nights if you are interested in watching.

Sorry MissJackson, I didn't answer your question whether I believe in ghosts or not...well,there are alot of unexplained things out there and I have had my own experience. After my own experience ya I do believe!

MissJacksonCA
13-Jun-2007, 04:13 AM
I've never known a religous person who believed in ghosts and not in aliens... of course I dont poll my fellow parishoners lol... I dont really relate the two as being similar but i'm religous and believe in ghosts and aliens so ha! But ghosts are evident in a lot of beliefs for instance the Kohran mentions them quite a bit. Dont ask me where because I dont know I can't read Sanskrit but that's what a doctor who has read the Kohran said to a woman who felt her home was haunted and said please dont think i'm crazy...

I'm the first person to be skeptical about ghosts and to debunk any claims if I find a place that says its haunted but that doesn't mean I dont believe in them. I dont but a whole lot of alien claims either but in both cases its because people can't be trusted to be sane or honest and at times people can benefit from falsifying claims but not always. If you know your homes haunted you're supposed to tell anyone who buys it beforehand of course which can lead to it never being sold (in one instance an entire cul de sac remains unsold due to an alleged haunting).

Of course my beliefs are strange because I also believe in yetis but not in the cubacabra! And I believe the megaladdon still exists but we never see it because of them being cannibleistic and all but I think they're still out there or else how do we keep finding their teeth? Hooya!

:sneaky:

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 04:35 AM
I've never known a religous person who believed in ghosts and not in aliens... of course I dont poll my fellow parishoners lol... I dont really relate the two as being similar but i'm religous and believe in ghosts and aliens so ha!

I say that because if you are a person who practices monotheisim, epecially christianity or catholosism, God created everything in the bible and that's it. No aliens. For millenia the church refused to recognize that the earth was not the center of the universe and they believe that we are the highest being god ever created. ( considering their belief in angels i find that highly debatable, they can do some very cool things you know):D

MissJacksonCA
13-Jun-2007, 04:43 AM
Yeah but I just can't believe people being so archaic in their beliefs that they don't buy into ghosts or aliens or any combo of the two. Of course with that said there are a special many who believe in creationism and if that cooks their hotcakes thats spiffy. I just go to church because I feel its a positive influence but that doesn't mean i'm soaking up every word like its the spoken truth of the universe. But then again there's devout Catholics who believe so deeply in their religon they dont use condoms. There's mormons who dont drink soda. And Baptists who dont drink alcohol. But not drinking alcohol is against my religon =) I mean refusing the wine is just rude lol... which is funny thinking of it now because when I went to a born again church they gave me saltines and fruit punch and I felt so ripped off!

Where was I? Ahhh yes... i'm lost...

Aliens... ghosts... blood sucking goat killers... aint this world great? I dont know if i'd want it any other way. Its more fun like this =)

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 04:53 AM
Yeah but I just can't believe people being so archaic in their beliefs that they don't buy into ghosts or aliens or any combo of the two. Of course with that said there are a special many who believe in creationism and if that cooks their hotcakes thats spiffy. I just go to church because I feel its a positive influence but that doesn't mean i'm soaking up every word like its the spoken truth of the universe. But then again there's devout Catholics who believe so deeply in their religon they dont use condoms. There's mormons who dont drink soda. And Baptists who dont drink alcohol. But not drinking alcohol is against my religon =) I mean refusing the wine is just rude lol... which is funny thinking of it now because when I went to a born again church they gave me saltines and fruit punch and I felt so ripped off!

Where was I? Ahhh yes... i'm lost...

Aliens... ghosts... blood sucking goat killers... aint this world great? I dont know if i'd want it any other way. Its more fun like this =)

What!?! No honorable mention for bigfoot, the loch ness monster or leprechauns!?! I'm shocked!!

Anyway, that's one of the things that turn me off to organized religion. If you don't accept wholeheartedly every line that they spew then your not a real part of the flock. That's such bullsh8t. Your not aloud to think outside the box, challenge any religious doctrines or have independant thoughts. They want sheep. Why do you think they call it a flock? :confused:

MissJacksonCA
13-Jun-2007, 05:05 AM
You can't think outside of the flock in some churches but mine is a more tolerant system of beliefs and its a progressive one. I mean who else can say they have a gay bishop =) Which I think is splendid but my family wanted to renounce their religon lol...

whats so funny is ...and here's where we span to a whole new topic... you can't think outside the flock in a lot of groups... think about it... the typical high school has your average cliques and god forbid you speak against your own kind or act/dress different from the rest? Why how would they recognise that you're with them? Thats how it is for girls of course I can't speak for the laddies...

then you take the average adult cricle of friends... not a lot of people are tolerant of others who have radical views that differ from the common majority and often will ostracize those who speak against the norm...

even take a family... I mean if you go against their wishes and what they deem is appropriate you risk being denied by your own blood relatives...

Its almost like our whole society is based on beliving in certain ideas and we all stick to it or else! And if you dont... you're gone! Like that! Poof! Ag-ra-bah! It reminds me of the remake Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Its all about being different. And i'm not talking the kind of different where people dye their hair black, wear clothes they find on the highway, stop washing their hair, and name themselves something special... because those people all look the same and have nothing vauable to say... but now i'm lost again...

I did forget about Nessie who btw lives in Canada during the off season hehe

And I think yetis I mentioned are related to bigfoot... they live in Bhutan...

mista_mo
13-Jun-2007, 06:43 AM
Yes.

Simple and straight to the point. They exist.

ngm231
13-Jun-2007, 06:52 AM
i believe in ghosts until the stupid people say they have seen one.

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 06:57 AM
It's funny how that works. We're always so unwilling to believe the testimony of others.( especially when it comes to floaty ecto plasmic things).:D I think unless i actually see one i'll be a skeptic.

Danny
13-Jun-2007, 10:51 AM
aye same here as for aliens, of course theres gotta be some purely becuase life exists, look all around you life happens and the odds of it occuring on just one blue rock in the whole ...i dunno macrocosm is for lack of a more eloquent word retarded.

Yes.

Simple and straight to the point. They exist.

k, proof please:D

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 02:57 PM
Haven't you heard of casper !?! what more proof do you need !?! :D

capncnut
13-Jun-2007, 04:31 PM
http://scareo.com/images/brownlady.gif
The infamous Brown Lady, more like brown trousers! :eek:

http://z.about.com/d/paranormal/1/0/b/A/back_seat_ghost_lg.jpg
Behind you! Actually, this is one was taken by the driver's wife who later noticed his mother was sitting in the back seat. Thing is, she's been brown bread for years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/features/halloween/images/wem_ghost_330.pg.jpg
This photo is of a burning warehouse in Shropshire and this girl, allegedly that of Jane Churm, showed up when there was no-one there at the time.

http://www.ghoststudy.com/monthly/oct04/deadboy012.jpg
Speaking of kids, let's not forget Amityville Boy!

Oh, and who can forget this? Might be a bit too scary to post so make with the clickety (http://www.geocities.com/deadshedproductions/biography.html). :D

MissJacksonCA
13-Jun-2007, 07:45 PM
What was it? It was some dude doing a ta-dah?

oh I get it thats MZ.... very funny

darth los
13-Jun-2007, 08:03 PM
Spooky pics. How many of them do you think were doctored? I'm gonna have to sleep with my blanky tonight.:confused:

MaximusIncredulous
14-Jun-2007, 03:06 AM
Thing I never understand about ghosts is why the clothing? Ok so the theory is that a person dies and bang-zoom they're instantly converted to spirit form (bypassing the resurrection - what the heck is that for if you can become spirit without it?) looking for the light but their clothing too? I wonder if that includes the labels as well?

MissJacksonCA
14-Jun-2007, 03:43 AM
ooo very interesting point... I have no idea why they would have clothes... I know a lot of people who say they saw one the ghost in question wore something typical of what they wore in everyday life so it may be whatever they died in...

hmmm... :shifty:

Kaos
14-Jun-2007, 04:16 AM
I don't believe in ghosts. Not only because there is no proof of ghosts, but because many people's explanation of ghosts sound...well...ridiculous. For example, one explanation of ghosts is that they are troubled spirits who never went on to (heaven, hell, limbo, the underworld, the elysian fields, valhalla, pick one). Given the billions of people who have died, and a pretty good percentage who have been f*cked over in their life, you'd expect paranormal poltergeist activity everywhere... in your house, on the street, in your backyard, the local pub...everywhere. This obviously isn't the case.

It is also weird to hear christians speak of ghosts. My understanding of christianity pretty much concludes that ghosts really don't fit in christian belief. (Although not a christian myself I have read the bible from beginning to end.) The only ghost is the godhead. Everyone else goes to hell or heaven or limbo if you are catholic. God is never supposed to make a mistake and let someone hang around on Earth after you die so you can make pranks on the living. (Although this personally seems like a pretty cool thing to do once you are dead - if only it were true.)

Well, I really don't want the believers in ghosts to be pissed at me. I can't say with certainty that ghosts do not exist, but according to logic I don't have to prove that ghosts do exist, it is up to the person claiming that ghosts exist to prove it...this is especially true if they are trying to convince others to believe it too. I don't treat people who believe in ghosts poorly since they may have experienced something that to them is extraordinary that cannot be proven. Even if I experienced a poltergeist-like experience I can't see the direct correlation that ghosts are the answer to the unexplained phenomena.

I have to say though that I love horror movies, and ghosts are OK by me in fiction. If ghosts did exist and it was ever somehow proven it certainly wouldn't crush my world view...but only expand it. I sincerely doubt, however, that will happen in my lifetime.

mista_mo
14-Jun-2007, 05:59 AM
technically, we are always surrounded by the spirits of the dead- everywhere is "infested" with them if you will, but they aren't strong enough (I dunno what the term is off hand) to actually physically manifest into something we would notice.

so right now, there could be 6 or 7 dead people in the room with you watching everything you do (if they percieve us the way we percieve them that is) and trying too communicate, but unable too. I don't mean to sound like a wimp or anything but damn, thats a pretty frightening prospect.

darth los
14-Jun-2007, 06:31 AM
Thing I never understand about ghosts is why the clothing? Ok so the theory is that a person dies and bang-zoom they're instantly converted to spirit form (bypassing the resurrection - what the heck is that for if you can become spirit without it?) looking for the light but their clothing too? I wonder if that includes the labels as well?

I guess you could say that they wouldn't be caught dead naked. :rockbrow:

Kaos
14-Jun-2007, 11:39 AM
technically, we are always surrounded by the spirits of the dead- everywhere is "infested" with them if you will, but they aren't strong enough (I dunno what the term is off hand) to actually physically manifest into something we would notice.

so right now, there could be 6 or 7 dead people in the room with you watching everything you do (if they percieve us the way we percieve them that is) and trying too communicate, but unable too. I don't mean to sound like a wimp or anything but damn, thats a pretty frightening prospect.

Well that is a nice story, but it is again another take on ghosts that seems a bit facile and well...made up.

MaximusIncredulous
14-Jun-2007, 12:29 PM
I read a theory a long time ago that said all ghosts were really demons that take the form of human beings that have died in order to foster a belief in the living of automatic immortality upon death. Since human beings have to work(?) with God towards achieving a spiritual existence (if you believe that sort of thing), the notion of existence on that plane being given automatically to us upon death keeps humanity separated from God by encouraging them to pursue more "mortal" interests, or something like that. If accounts of paranormal activity have any truth to them, that could be one explanation for the senseless activity found in the majority of hauntings. Some hauntings have a "ghost pointed to a wall, we knocked a hole in the wall and found a box of human bones behind the wall" theme to them but those are rare. Most paranormal actions are nonsense: unsettling visuals, sounds, etc.

Sorry to inject religion into the thread but I always found it an interesting or, at least, a different take on the ghost thing.

capncnut
14-Jun-2007, 01:07 PM
Okay, here's a few famous ghost pics that are blatantly fake even though they are still considered real by the experts.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/Australianghosthunters/monk.jpg
The ghost monk - oh c'mon now!

http://seminars.torontoghosts.org/blog/media/tulipbw.jpg
The Tulip Staircase apparitions - couple of pranksters dressed up in sheets?

http://www.speakingwithspirits.com/Ghosts_in_news/ghostl14.gif
The Bachelors Grove tombstone woman - to beautifully shot to be real.

http://www.witchesway.net/links/spirits/storyimages/boothill.jpg
Boothill Cemetary ghost - some ol' cowboy taking a s**t in the shrubs?

Do these folks think we're stupid or what? :rolleyes:

DVW5150
14-Jun-2007, 03:58 PM
Okay, here's a few famous ghost pics that are blatantly fake even though they are still considered real by the experts.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/Australianghosthunters/monk.jpg
The ghost monk - oh c'mon now!

http://seminars.torontoghosts.org/blog/media/tulipbw.jpgThis photo in particular, is by all reaserch that I have read legitimate Capt...
The Tulip Staircase apparitions - couple of pranksters dressed up in sheets?

http://www.speakingwithspirits.com/Ghosts_in_news/ghostl14.gif
The Bachelors Grove tombstone woman - to beautifully shot to be real.

http://www.witchesway.net/links/spirits/storyimages/boothill.jpg
Boothill Cemetary ghost - some ol' cowboy taking a s**t in the shrubs?

Do these folks think we're stupid or what? :rolleyes:
I didnt think one way or another about ghosts, until I saw some at my great- great grand parents house in Linthicum MD (Linthicum is part of my family tree)...The house was built around 1800 and was a makeshift hospital (civil war)and a place of refuge on the underground railroad during emancipation.
I would be open to the explanations of seeing a chest of drawers walking by itself, a man dragging a bag across the back lawn...I saw a woman (mightve been my great great great cousin) running up and down the staircase.
I think that if you see something, and have a certain type of intuition, you can be aware of a 'presence' ...
Lastly, when I was going to sleep one night in the Linthicum house (I was 7 or so) I felt a hand (?) squeeze my hand , it was cold and nearly crushed my bones. My hand hurt for a few days after.

Thats why I am not surprised of photos like the Tulip Staircase. I saw that photo on the cover of a ghost book shortly after my experience as a child, it made my hair stand. Later on , after reading about that picture, I found that all forensic testing on the original negative came to the conclusion its not touched up or altered.I dont remember ...Spirits.com or something.
I have my belief from personal experience. If I had not seen those things , I would not believe.
The other pics are obviously kitchy gags.

Anyway, its creepy, but fascinating.
I dont go for the shows they have now with the lights balls and stuff.

MissJacksonCA
14-Jun-2007, 04:46 PM
Interesting theory Maximus...

In my readings there's a difference between ghosts and demons... ghosts can be controlled by demons which are more entities whereas ghosts used to be actual people... I kinda feel like when you're being watched maybe its a ghost but I do enjoy believing in ghosts I love to be scared of stuff and the supernatural is way too cool... i'm of course skeptical but hey its all in good fun...

kinda like going to a star trek convention in star wars regalia

capncnut
14-Jun-2007, 05:04 PM
I saw a woman (mightve been my great great great cousin) running up and down the staircase.
When I was much younger, my aunt and uncle moved into a house and at the time they had the upstairs and an old lady called Nell had the downstairs. My aunt and uncle are not so complimentary when old Nell is discussed but I always found her to be a sweet old lady.

So a couple of years later when I'm about 8 I go into the kitchen and see Nell standing there. I can remember this like yesterday, "Hello sweetheart, what are you doing down here?" She was even making tea. "Would you like a drink love? Awww you're such a sweet little boy, how about a biscuit?", etc. This conversation probably lasted a good ten minutes but when I got my OJ from the fridge, I went back upstairs.

"Where the bloody hell have you been?"
"Oh, I was just talking to Nell."
"Nell? Impossible, she died last week."

:eek:

People can believe what they want to believe in, that conversation was real and certainly not something my mind created. She was a real person, and the bright kitchen light reflected off her spectacles - but she was dead!

MissJacksonCA
14-Jun-2007, 05:30 PM
I do hate shows that discuss the 'balls of light' and anything where they use the term 'orb' I mean how desperate are you to find proof of something that you begin to claim those are anything supernatural... bah!

So dvw... you wont share your alien abduction story but ghosts are okay? lol... thanks for the story though it makes me feel less insane...

I do think some people have a sort of sixth sense and can see or sense spirit activity but that there's a bunch of loons out there who pretend to which forces me to question the validity of most peoples experiences. I have the tendency to believe that animals posess that sixth sense because my dog would always react oddly whenever she felt something was there and it always happened when I was freaking out because I felt like there was something there too...

I also try to look for the explanation for hearing things at night in me mums historic home... doors closing, stair well steps... I mean old homes are drafty and old so they'll make more noises than a brand new home. There were other things that are less explainable that went on but I suppose perhaps a medical condition could explain them. eh...

darth los
14-Jun-2007, 06:41 PM
I do think some people have a sort of sixth sense and can see or sense spirit activity but that there's a bunch of loons out there who pretend to which forces me to question the validity of most peoples experiences.

I think your on to something that some people are just more in tune and can sense "things", although whether they're spirits or not is up for debate. if people want to explain it as ghosts, cool. I think it's just human nature, and there's ample proof throughout history, to have to have a supernatural explanation for things we don't understand....yet. Thousands of years ago we couldn't comprehend what lightning was so it was just explained as Zues being angry and hurling lightning bolt from atop mount olympus. If someone did some thing out of the ordinary they were called a witch and burned. If there was a drought, it was thought that something was done to anger the gods. People just don't like the unknown. Which is why so many of us fear death. Strangely enough despite all our differences, death is the one thing that unites us, the one experience that we all are bound to share one day.

MissJacksonCA
14-Jun-2007, 07:00 PM
Together we stand divided, but united we all fall... kinda a morbid thing that they had printed on my high school ...

I think we all have a sixth sense but that it dissipates through time as people begin to subscribe to different beliefs or as stress of everyday life takes over... you lose your feel for things y'know?

I'm so looking forward to senility if I make it that far...

darth los
14-Jun-2007, 07:03 PM
You'll make it, just pace yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. The stars that burn brightest burn fastes. Okay, I'm out of cliches but you know what i mean.:p

blind2d
27-Oct-2008, 03:50 AM
I've always believed in ghosts, but i don't think they believe in me...

NOTLDC5
27-Oct-2008, 06:19 AM
Short answer NO
Long answer..What you said:D

Visit Waverly Hills Sanatorium
http://www.therealwaverlyhills.com/home.htm

This place will change your mind to yes very quick.
One of the most haunted locations in the U.S.

EvilNed
27-Oct-2008, 10:45 AM
No, there are no such things as ghosts and there never will be. It's funny how people always have different visions of ghosts, but few of them seem to fit together. It's funny how all pictures of ghosts seem awfully faked. I could do the very same thing in my photolab RIGHT NOW, and people would buy it.

As Kaos said. If there are ghosts around, then there have always been ghosts around, and that means there wouldn't be one unhaunted place in the entire world. Just imagine cities. People die there all the time. Imagine Rome or Istanbul! Two very very old cities! They'd be LITTERED with ghosts and paranormal activities! There'd be more ghosts than humans. Rome, at a time, had a million citizens in time of the romans. Think of that. Most of those people probably died there and were replaced by another million, for millenia this went on until now. Right now there's around 3 million people living in Rome, but it'd also be the home of around 50 million ghosts. Haha, says I, anyone who believes that is just nuts.

All those "haunted places", like Waverly Hills Sanatorium can go **** themselves. Go to Rome. Rome has over 50 million ghosts, if we are to believe in them! And that's just Rome. Imagine Athens, Istanbul, Alexandria etc. etc. and all other old cities. Yet, unsurprisingly, tourists do not get spooked in Rome anymore than they get spooked back home. I wonder why, hmm? Maybe because ghosts are bull****?

I believe that ghosts, just like the notions of ghosts, are something we manufacture in our own mind. When the wook settles in, that's a ghost. When the wind knocks something over, that's a ghost. When we dream something and then can't remember if it's true or not, that's a ghost. The human mind is a fascinating thing, more advanced than anyone can ever comprehend. We can instill illusions in our own minds unwillingly. And THIS is the explanation for ghosts. Our mind creates them, but they aren't there. There have been times when I have imagined things, strange things, and they seemed ever so real. But afterwards I thought about it and realized that it's just my mind.

Just because our mind functions they way we're used too 99% of the time, doesn't mean it doesn't have it's own leaps of logic.

EDIT: Also, as usual, if anyone believes that going on a no-refunds, cash only tour on the Waverly Hills Sanatorium, organized by the owners, is such a good idea might be very interested in a bridge I'm willing to sell.

blind2d
27-Oct-2008, 11:42 AM
No need to be rude...
And your argument about old cities doesn't make much sense to me...
Everyone knows that only a few are selected to be ghosts, and who's to say how long spirits can remain detectable on this astral plain?

EvilNed
27-Oct-2008, 12:58 PM
Everyone knows that only a few are selected to be ghosts, and who's to say how long spirits can remain detectable on this astral plain?

What what what? Are you serious? "Everyone knows"? Who gets to "select" ghosts? This is just more proof for me that ghosts do not exist, because there is noway any reliable source could EVER have proven that to you, yet you accept it as fact.

Either there are ghosts, or there aren't ghosts. And if people die and become ghosts (or don't) we either have the entire ****ing planet overcrowded with ghosts, or we don't have any at all. Geez, I wonder which sounds more likely.

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2008, 01:21 PM
Bloody nora, that Waverly Hills place would be sh*t me up big style, but also awe me - that place would be ideal for the definitive mental asylum horror movie right there.

As for ghosts, I neither believe nor disbelieve.

Neil
27-Oct-2008, 01:48 PM
Part of me - the logical side - just doesn't believe in ghosts. But another part of me does, especially when you here perfectly sane people tell you what they've seen!

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2008, 01:48 PM
A certain amount of incredulity is a good thing, Ned...especially with regards to the existence of ghosts, ghoulies, conspiracy theories, governments you can trust and girls who claim they're virgins, however being dogmatic and absolutist about admitting the possibility is very unscientific.

Really, zealotry in the guise of 'right-minded' religion or 'right-minded' science is just the same old bullsh1t.

EvilNed
27-Oct-2008, 02:06 PM
A certain amount of incredulity is a good thing, Ned...especially with regards to the existence of ghosts, ghoulies, conspiracy theories, governments you can trust and girls who claim they're virgins, however being dogmatic and absolutist about admitting the possibility is very unscientific.

Why would I believe in such things that can easily be explained by mere science? Why would I believe in illogical fairytales? Especially when I haven't experienced anything that can even remotely put some credibility here.

Let me put it this way:

When you understand why you, yourself, do not believe in Zeus, or Amon-Ra or werewolves, then you will understand why I don't believe in ghosts.

LoSTBoY
27-Oct-2008, 02:22 PM
Why would I believe in such things that can easily be explained by mere science? Why would I believe in illogical fairytales? Especially when I haven't experienced anything that can even remotely put some credibility here.

Let me put it this way:

When you understand why you, yourself, do not believe in Zeus, or Amon-Ra or werewolves, then you will understand why I don't believe in ghosts.

How dare you mock the great Zeus!!

He will send out his legion of werewolves to eat you! :p

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2008, 02:34 PM
Let me put it this way:

There's a keen difference between the act of believing and that of actively disbelieving. One is usually done in the attempt to uphold one's own comfy little idea of how the universe 'must surely' work and is supported by rigid if/then statements.

EvilNed
27-Oct-2008, 02:42 PM
There's a keen difference between the act of believing and that of actively disbelieving. One is usually done in the attempt to uphold one's own comfy little idea of how the universe 'must surely' work and is supported by rigid if/then statements.

Of course there is a difference between believing and disbelieving! The words even imply it. Infact, I would go so far as to claim that they are opposites...

I don't believe in ghosts, and think it's a silly notion. There's nothing else to it. There's no dogmatic absolutism at work here. I just don't believe in ghosts, because they are no more real to me than werewolves or Zeus (or God). To me they are silly and belong in child's books. Simple as that.

If ghosts were real, then paranormal activity would have forced people out of Rome, Istanbul, Athens or London long ago. But there are no ghosts there, so there you go.

Ghosts generally do not appear in places until they are abandoned for practical reasons. This is no coincidence, but there's nothing paranormal about it. It's just the way we imagine ghosts: In abandoned buildings.

Neil
27-Oct-2008, 02:55 PM
If ghosts were real, then paranormal activity would have forced people out of Rome, Istanbul, Athens or London long ago. But there are no ghosts there, so there you go.

Ghosts generally do not appear in places until they are abandoned for practical reasons. This is no coincidence, but there's nothing paranormal about it. It's just the way we imagine ghosts: In abandoned buildings.

On a windy day, you wouldn't notice someone blowing at you from a few feet away. On a still day, you might.

However, I have the same skeptical view as you do most of the time, but it does seem a lot of rational people have seen a lot of irrational things!

EvilNed
27-Oct-2008, 03:00 PM
On a windy day, you wouldn't notice someone blowing at you from a few feet away. On a still day, you might.

However, I have the same skeptical view as you do most of the time, but it does seem a lot of rational people have seen a lot of irrational things!

Even rational people have irrational moments.

strayrider
27-Oct-2008, 03:00 PM
Later I believed our cabin in Canada was haunted when I was making some food and a bottle of mustard moved across the counter towards me.

I hate it when that happens. However, I have found that this is caused by a thin layer of moisture on the bottom of the bottle which acts as a lubricant and allows the bottle to slide across the surface of the counter.

:D

-stray-

I currently do not believe in ghosts.

Neil
27-Oct-2008, 03:08 PM
Even rational people have irrational moments.

True...

OK, our neighbours two doors down. One night the woman woke up and saw the figure of an old man in their room. Needless to say, she screamed and woke the house up.

On talking to her husband, he said he'd seen the figure a number of times before, but didn't mention it as he didn't want to alarm her.

So:-
1) They're mad.
2) They're lying.
3) Something odd is happening.

Mike70
27-Oct-2008, 03:09 PM
i do not believe in ghosts either. in fact, i have no belief in the supernatural at all (bigfoot finally convinced me of this during one of our walks).

it is kind of funny that i don't, i have had a life long interest in monster/ghost stories/folklore,etc. of all kinds; but as for actually believing in them, i don't.

MikePizzoff
27-Oct-2008, 03:16 PM

So are you saying you do not believe in ghosts, however, you do believe in werewolves?

I hope so.

Mike70
27-Oct-2008, 03:25 PM
So are you saying you do not believe in ghosts, however, you do believe in werewolves?

I hope so.

as for werewolves - do i believe a person can literally change into a wolf? no. but if you were to ask me if believe in lycanthropy, the answer would be yes.

darth los
27-Oct-2008, 03:37 PM

Perhaps there's just too many things creating "backround noise" nowdays that there didn't used to be before. There's no doubt that our ancestors were much more in tune with nature, because they had no other choice. We've all but abandoned that aspect of our being and most of us rarely come into contact with nature or the elements.

Maybe if there wasn't all this technology around we'd experience more supernatural events.

:cool:

EvilNed
27-Oct-2008, 03:39 PM
True...

OK, our neighbours two doors down. One night the woman woke up and saw the figure of an old man in their room. Needless to say, she screamed and woke the house up.

On talking to her husband, he said he'd seen the figure a number of times before, but didn't mention it as he didn't want to alarm her.

So:-
1) They're mad.
2) They're lying.
3) Something odd is happening.

Geez, that one is easy. It's fully possible for a person, while waking up, to be stuck in a state of mind between dream and reality. This is true. During this state you do not have full control of your body (because it's sleeping!) but you have full control of your mind. Even though IT is TOO still dreaming. Which means you can see your surroundings, plus whatever your mind puts there. Such as a strange man.

They don't have to be mad, lying and there's certainly nothing strange going on. The mind just played tricks on them. Coincidence that they saw the same person?

Besides, this sort of thing always seem to happen to "other people". Very strange. Until I've experienced it myself, I just won't buy it. Ghosts? Bah. Might as well believe in werewolves.

No, but I assume most people do not believe in at least all three of those things I mentioned. Which is why I used them as examples. Zeus to you is God to me. We both laugh at the mere prospect. Werewolves to you are ghosts to me. Again, we laugh at the mere suggestion.

darth los
27-Oct-2008, 06:02 PM
They don't have to be mad, lying and there's certainly nothing strange going on. The mind just played tricks on them. Coincidence that they saw the same person?

Good point, A person can have a totally different recollection of an event than someone else who witnessed it but it doesn't mean he's lying. He could just be crazy. :p

:cool: