PDA

View Full Version : request for info from someone good with sound

Danny
13-Jun-2007, 10:33 PM
okay so after a week ive filmed 3 films, sunday, 7 days and an experiment in choereography "the fight scene", gotta edit em so i wont putfile em for a while but in the meantime ive got a few freinds, from school i aint seen in ages, from college and from fellow amatuer film makers "wicked games films" to try our hands at an online youtube tv show...only without the tv, kinda skit/ sketch based , not for any money, and since theres a few songs in there and games we definitly couldnt get royaltys for we be nuts to try and capitalise ion it huh?.
anway theres a skit involving wii remotes that ends with a pretty nasty swear word yes guys "the c word" and for comedic effect i want to bleep it out, but i dont actually know how, anyone got any tips on how to do this? in down with editing but dont know crap about audio.

PJoseph
14-Jun-2007, 06:21 AM
It's very easy. First of all, if you are editing in FCP, you can click on the menu that brings up BARS AND TONE. Then all you do is cut in one frame of tone right over the part of the word you want to beep out. (you'll need to lock your video channel so the bars don't get laid in!)

Now, I'm not familiar with other editing software, but I bet most of them have BARS AND TONE that you can import in - and once again, you only need to cut in one frame of the tone over the audio that you want to beep.

pJ

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2007, 11:04 AM
I doubt hellsing's using FCP, but I don't know which package he's using.

A simple fix would be to download a bleep sound effect online from some place you can get them for free, should be easy to find. Just whack that sound effect over the c-word, or just dip the audio at the same point where the c-word crops up.

Or, just speak into your camera and say a funny word to obviously replace the c-word (think "Hot Funk"), or you could (again speaking into your camera), make a comedy spoken bleep.

Then when you edit, take the audio from that video clip of you speaking/bleeping into your camera and whack it over the c-word.

Which software are you using by the way?

Danny
14-Jun-2007, 12:58 PM
i recently got a copy of vegas which im using, ive got one bit for this little show were me and a guy called mark play 2 "frenchmen" aka we just draw on moustaches and speak in dodgy accents chanllengeing on "anuzzer tu a du-uel" on cookin' moma on the wii and im losing and i do a platoon styl drop to my knees and scream at the sky, lower the frame rate of that beyotch and its ten times as funny.

coma
14-Jun-2007, 03:25 PM
I do film audio, dude and this is what I would do.
First find the beep sound somewhere. Sometimes a sound fx can ve harder to find than you would think.
I would generate it from a Sine wave but thats too hard for you at your level
On Youtube theres this Mad TV Sopranos sketch where there are a million beeps in it (Thats the whole joke of it)
Download it. Rip the audio. Take the single beep sound out using a sound editor lke cool edit, Sound forge or audacity (freeware).

Do a quick fade over the word you want to beep out.
One way is
Cut just before it and just after. Delete the tiny clip. Vegas should automatcally do a quick fade of the edges of the clip so there is no click sound. Clicking sounds like as, so MAKE SURE it doesnt click. ZOOM IN when you do this so you make sure its right.

Make a new audio track and drop the Wave file of the click directly on the spot you want it and adjust level.

If you need more specific info on the details, ask. Being you dont know about audio at all I assume you will be asking me about the edit part of the process. If you want to make fims YOU MUST KNOW about this stuff. I will help you with whatever info or anything else you need.

Also, in the future, when you post about a technical issue make sure you say what OS you use and what tools you already have. It makes it easier to give a clear answer.

i recently got a copy of vegas which im using, ive got one bit for this little show were me and a guy called mark play 2 "frenchmen" aka we just draw on moustaches and speak in dodgy accents chanllengeing on "anuzzer tu a du-uel" on cookin' moma on the wii and im losing and i do a platoon styl drop to my knees and scream at the sky, lower the frame rate of that beyotch and its ten times as funny.
That is extra stupid. so to me, thats extra funny. The "Noooooo" on one knee to the sky thing is ALWAYS funny.:lol:

Danny
14-Jun-2007, 03:43 PM
cheers for the info, and yeah its meant to be stupid as hell, its been a while since any of us actually just filmed something for fun rather than being "serious film makers" so itll be nice to hang out with freinds i aint seen since high school over two yers ago now, and do some stupid crap, and theres another bit to the frenchman but the whole thing should be funny, it involves cowboys, frenchmen, a public asscess broadcast and a man in a luchadore mask.

ill say no more but its gonna be dumb.:D

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2007, 04:49 PM
Well I certainly look forward to seeing you put some stuff online for us to see at last, you're like the biggest cock tease. :lol::)

Elias spoofing is, as Coma said, always funny. :cool:

Ahhh Vegas, aye I've got a copy of that, been meaning to properly get into it, but I think I need a full-on guide from t'internet or something.

Danny
14-Jun-2007, 07:04 PM
i do a kind of preliminary editing in movie maker just the rough cut it into chunks i then do all the scene editing in vegas then pice it together into a scene in movie maker then add effect in vegas then film put all the scenes together in movier maker for the finished product.

MinionZombie
14-Jun-2007, 08:28 PM
hehe, so you chop & change between two softwares as well eh? hehe, just what I do.

I do all the main chopping and changing and fiddling in Pinnacle Studio 8 - aye, it's a simple programme (but far from the simplest out there), and it is quite unstable ... unless you know how to rub it the right way, you learn to work around the instabilities...

For things like cropping and my personal favourite - Magic Bullet - I use Sony Vegas, usually starting there first after initially chopping out all the footage I think I might use...that footage goes to Vegas to get the Magic Bullet treatment, as well as any cropping I might be wanting to do. Then I render out to an AVI (but I'm gonna render back out to miniDV instead as it'll be uncompressed, which is better in the long run) ... then I take those files into Pinnacle again and do the boshing about.

I work really quickly with Pinnacle for the basic chopping - you don't need a really fancy, big trousers bit of software just to trim, fade, dissolve and cut back and forth...most editing is usually very basic and simple in the end of the day, it's only on things like music videos or skate videos or whatever where the editing gets really fancy ... or films like Spun (which I really dug by the way).

*ah mate, that charlie on Big Bruv is such a self-obsessed, two-faced munter :barf:* (it's on in the background)...

Danny
14-Jun-2007, 11:34 PM
aye i think you really need to use more than one program to get anything looking remotly better than some home movie style footage.
so im guessing the guy behind vampire vs zombies didnt.:sneaky:

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2007, 11:36 AM
It's all about what you feel comfortable with, I could do everything inside Vegas, but it's just that for the basic chopping about that is editing, you don't necessarily need a flashy load of buttons you don't understand, hence why I use two softwares...then of course it's Cool Edit for sound editing, so it's 3 softwares in fact! :p

Danny
15-Jun-2007, 12:19 PM
why is it its dry for month buts when i got to film somethign it rains so bad theres bloody flood warnings?!?:mad:

just my bloody luck huh?:bored:

MinionZombie
15-Jun-2007, 12:27 PM
It's always the way I guess, nothing ever goes according to plan. Just keep a weather eye (excuse the pun) on the weather forecasts...or if all else fails, have enough possible days set aside in which to film, so it appears to be more up front, but actually you're only gonna shoot on 2 of the 5 days you've set aside as possible filming days.

It's what I did with IAZM2 during the winter, the weather was of course unpredictable and it was all done outside, hehe, so I had to set aside as many days as possible for all "just in case" purposes. Fortunately it worked out.