PDA

View Full Version : The Smashing Pumpkins return!

capncnut
15-Jun-2007, 07:28 PM
They're back and I gotta say, it's a s**t hot return to form even though they are two original members short. Here's footage from their recent performance at Rock AM Ring.

Tarantula
DhU5M58u7ac&mode=related&search=

Bullet With Butterfly Wings
JTzU02aZTmQ

Cherub Rock
azFo4Me5cNc

New album, Zeitgeist out 10/07/07! :cool:

darth los
15-Jun-2007, 07:35 PM
cool, i'll have to download it. What's your opinion on bands that comeback after a while? Are they generally a success or has the industry passed them by?

capncnut
11-Jul-2007, 08:21 PM
New album 'Zeitgeist' was released on Monday and I have to say that I think it's the best Smashing Pumpkins record since Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness. I had no idea they were gonna come back with such a hard-hitting record and I'm glad they pulled it off.

Now Billy, get your old band back!

Minerva_Zombi
12-Jul-2007, 05:57 AM
lol, I doubt the original line up will be getting back together anytime soon. They all hate each other.

capncnut
12-Jul-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, it's a shame it turned out the way it has for the Pumpkins. The last four albums were dogged with problems because of various band member changes. After Mellon Collie they sacked the drummer, Jimmy Chamberlain and they went as a three piece for the album, Adore. Then bassist, D'arcy left for the follow up, Machina/The Machines of God (with Billy bringing Chamberlain back). Then they recruit Melissa Auf Der Maur to replace D'arcy for a few tracks on Machina II and the entire 'farewell' tour. This new record is just Billy and Jimmy...

The thing with Zeitgeist, is that it's very similar in sound to Zwan (the group Billy formed with Charmberlain after the split) but has a heavier tone that is reminiscent of the Pumpkins of old. So far, I've heard it about 5 or 6 times and I'm humming the tunes in my head 24/7.

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 07:08 PM
For anyone whos interested, here's the setlist from the 02 gig on Saturday:

Main set:

Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Behold! the Night Mare
Bring the Light
Tonight, Tonight
Mayonaise
Try, Try, Try
Superchrist
(Come On) Let's Go!
Stellar
Perfect
Lily (My One And Only)
The Rose March
Today
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Ava Adore
Drown
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
That's the Way (My Love Is)
My Blue Heaven
The Everlasting Gaze
Cash Car Star
Medley: Easy Living (Uriah Heep) / Foreplay (Boston) / For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield) /
Wasted Years (Iron Maiden)
Daydream
Wound
United States / Star Spangled Banner

Encore:

Lips Like Sugar (Echo And The Bunnymen)

Wasn't a bad night overall, just a shame that it was held at the mahoosive 02 arena. Not my favourite venue to be honest. But on a positive note the band are definitely playing better shows with their new line up.

acealive1
18-Feb-2008, 07:16 PM
boooooooo!!!

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 07:23 PM
Better than Nik Kershaw. :sneaky:

_liam_
18-Feb-2008, 08:36 PM
boooooooo!!!

did you just hear Gene's last solo album?

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 08:51 PM
The title says it all, Leesham.

Good to see your ass back motherf**ker! :lol:

_liam_
18-Feb-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm like the daleks and international terrorism - just when you think i'm gone for good...

I'M BACK

LIKE TUPAC

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm like the daleks and international terrorism - just when you think i'm gone for good...
...exterminate? LOL.

acealive1
18-Feb-2008, 09:28 PM

you mean the album that was released FOUR years ago with no hype or promotion and sold 70,000 copies that part of the year?

which is more than most acts get with promotion

Better than Nik Kershaw. :sneaky:

jog off! he's from your country though :lol::lol::lol:

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 09:35 PM
jog off! he's from your country though :lol::lol::lol:
Whats that big space for? Maybe the space between your ears, mofo! :sneaky::lol:

Mike70
18-Feb-2008, 09:59 PM

or any of kiss' stuff. grew out of that when i was 10 or so. never have been able to stand them since.

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 10:05 PM
or any of kiss' stuff. grew out of that when i was 10 or so. never have been able to stand them since.
I gotta admit, I do like the first few albums by KISS (and guiltily a few others) but I agree, most KISS fans generally have bad taste in music overall. :dead:

bassman
18-Feb-2008, 10:39 PM
I've never really seen the appeal of KISS, either. I don't think they're horrible, but not as great as they're usually made out to be.

I did like that Detroit Rock City movie. Pretty funny.

Then again, hardly anyone here likes the same music as I do, so it's all opinion.

capncnut
18-Feb-2008, 10:45 PM
boooooooo!!!
Kinda fuggin' backfired, bro. :lol:

_liam_
18-Feb-2008, 10:57 PM
you mean the album that was released FOUR years ago with no hype or promotion and sold 70,000 copies that part of the year?

Yeah that's the one, what a sack of crap!

Nothing will ever touch Alive II & Dressed to Kill.

I'm excited about Donington now

acealive1
18-Feb-2008, 11:21 PM
Yeah that's the one, what a sack of crap!

Nothing will ever touch Alive II & Dressed to Kill.

I'm excited about Donington now

why would u mention a group and a solo artist as the same thing?

Kinda fuggin' backfired, bro. :lol:

you're not a kiss fan then.........

capncnut
19-Feb-2008, 12:43 PM
you're not a kiss fan then.........
No, I'm just amused that an attempt by you to say BOOO at my Pumpkins set list ended up getting turned around into an argument about your favourite band. As you know, I love KISS but they are far from the top of my list.

_liam_
19-Feb-2008, 02:51 PM
why would u mention a group and a solo artist as the same thing?

Because that is what it will be inevitably compared to isnt it?

I think that album is better by virtue of context, if you dont listen to it as an album by "Gene from Kiss" and just accept it on its own terms, it falls even further in my estimation to be honest...