PDA

View Full Version : why were the dead being reanimated?

darth los
18-Jun-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm Expanding on mj's theory of dormant disease, which is definitely very feasible. How about this:
The venus space probe which came back to earth was thoerized to have brought back intense levels of radiation which was subsequently thought to reanimate the dead. But what if it wasn't radiation? What if what it brought back was a space virus totally unprcedented on this planet. That would acount for it not ever happenning before. Following that line of logic as it pertains to Gar's original script for day, there's this: Remember war of the world's and how the aliens were fine at first but after a while they couldn't survive because the bacteria was killing them? Perhaps that happened to the space virus as well. Whether three legged aliens or viruses they are still foreign to this planet and have no way of fighting off harmful bacteria. The virus that reanimated the dead was able to survive for some years, but the earth's "immune system" finally destroyed it. Just a thought.

So which is it? Voodoo mysticism? Communicable disease? Any theories?

acealive1
18-Jun-2007, 11:45 PM
no idea, but if the theory holds up right......they will all die in five weeks from starvation

MissJacksonCA
19-Jun-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm going to go back to my theory of a dormant disease but post genetic mutation kinda. As i've said before the scary part about zombies for me is that we are in a way turning people into Frankensteins by using dead things on live humans. We have dead organs going into live people, dead skin from various animals and people to live humans, and we're taking tendons and muscles from dead bodies and using them to repair injured live people. Now when someone dies it sends rigor to all the parts of their body... and eventually by embalming we stop the process and preserve the body which would prevent the dormant disease from sparking. But by transferring these dead muscle tissues and organs and continually trying to salvage more parts from dead bodies you're mutating people in such a way that where these dead parts would adapt to their host it instead awakens this dormant gene and turns them into zombies. Now because the dead part is taking over the living parts it seeks renourishment in order to sustain itself. The body needs certain vitamins and calories in order to perform but in order to sustain yourself as a zombie you now need flesh to re-generate your dead body. Its almost like you're killing people to survive in that sense.

Enjoy!

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 12:05 AM
no idea, but if the theory holds up right......they will all die in five weeks from starvation

I think that your refering to the "infected" in 28days later. If that's what the subject was you'd be totally correct. However none of that applies to GAR'S mythology. I know my theory involves a virus just like in 28 days later but its 2 totally different "universes."

MissJacksonCA
19-Jun-2007, 12:10 AM
By virtue of the fact that its being spread by bites I have to rule out any theory GAR presented. So I see zombies as more of an infection than as anything else.

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 12:27 AM
By virtue of the fact that its being spread by bites I have to rule out any theory GAR presented. So I see zombies as more of an infection than as anything else.

But the beauty of it all is that GAR purposely chose to NOT give a thoery behind everything that was happening. In every movie there was rampant speculation, but speculation is all that it was.

-NOTLD- space radiation
-DawnOTD- voodoo mysticism
-DAYotd- virus/biological

acealive1
19-Jun-2007, 12:28 AM
I think that your refering to the "infected" in 28days later. If that's what the subject was you'd be totally correct. However none of that applies to GAR'S mythology. I know my theory involves a virus just like in 28 days later but its 2 totally different "universes."

remember after a few weeks of hiding in the mall in original dawn, we saw a dead zombie on the parking lot ground after peter gets done playing tennis?

its like they're misleading us which is ****ed up.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jun-2007, 12:29 AM
for me it just wasn't enough though... some far fetched theory... boohoo it'll never happen... not scary enough I want to believe there will be zombies

savvy observation ace

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 12:42 AM
remember after a few weeks of hiding in the mall in original dawn, we saw a dead zombie on the parking lot ground after peter gets done playing tennis?

its like they're misleading us which is ****ed up.

That would be typical of moviemakers nowdays to misdirect us like that but i doubt that what GAR was going for. However, that is a good observation but that zombie could have very well
A) Been shot a while ago or
B) Been run over by one of the trucks they used to block the entrances or even shot by one of them during that endeavor. Remember we were not privy to that whole scene as we saw them place only 2 out of the 4 trucks. Who among can speculate as to what happened?

Philly_SWAT
19-Jun-2007, 01:03 AM
That would be typical of moviemakers nowdays to misdirect us like that but i doubt that what GAR was going for. However, that is a good observation but that zombie could have very well
B) Been run over by one of the trucks they used to block the entrances or even shot by one of them during that endeavor. Remember we were not privy to that whole scene as we saw them place only 2 out of the 4 trucks. Who among can speculate as to what happened?
Both are good points. Considering that Dawn takes place over several months, there is obviously a lot of stuff that happened off-camera. I suggest another possibility:
c) Been shot recently, by one of our survivors, from the roof, just for something to do.
I tend to think that it was more just something GAR through in there, without thinking of the ramifications of it. Again, as I said before, I doubt he had any idea we would be discussing the movie in such detail almost 30 years later.

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 01:14 AM
I tend to think that it was more just something GAR through in there, without thinking of the ramifications of it. Again, as I said before, I doubt he had any idea we would be discussing the movie in such detail almost 30 years later.

As usual the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. I don't think GAR made each installment of the dead trilogy with the thought "how will this play down the road" or "will this be consistent with a sequel i might make 10 years down the road." This wouldn't be the first time there were inconsistencies or unexplained events in the trilogy. It's well known that when he made NOTLD he didn't have the "rules" to his zombie mytholgy set in stone yet.

DEAD BEAT
19-Jun-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm going to go back to my theory of a dormant disease but post genetic mutation kinda. As i've said before the scary part about zombies for me is that we are in a way turning people into Frankensteins by using dead things on live humans. We have dead organs going into live people, dead skin from various animals and people to live humans, and we're taking tendons and muscles from dead bodies and using them to repair injured live people. Now when someone dies it sends rigor to all the parts of their body... and eventually by embalming we stop the process and preserve the body which would prevent the dormant disease from sparking. But by transferring these dead muscle tissues and organs and continually trying to salvage more parts from dead bodies you're mutating people in such a way that where these dead parts would adapt to their host it instead awakens this dormant gene and turns them into zombies. Now because the dead part is taking over the living parts it seeks renourishment in order to sustain itself. The body needs certain vitamins and calories in order to perform but in order to sustain yourself as a zombie you now need flesh to re-generate your dead body. Its almost like you're killing people to survive in that sense.

Enjoy!

As long as they don't start using the sex organs we are in great shape!
:D

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 06:10 PM
Both are good points. Considering that Dawn takes place over several months, there is obviously a lot of stuff that happened off-camera. I suggest another possibility:
c) Been shot recently, by one of our survivors, from the roof, just for something to do.

It could have also been just a shocking wake up call and a dose of reality which contrasted the safe serene setting the protagonists enjoyed in the mall. Remember, it was right then when the bikers were about to discover the mall. Maybe it was GAR'S way of saying the party is over.

ShadowMan
19-Jun-2007, 06:50 PM
During NOTLD, there was much emphasis put on the Venus probe. This leads me to believe that it did have something to do with the rising. I am beginning to wonder if maybe it couldn't be alien. Not a virus, but an actual alien intelligence taking over and getting rid of the human pestilence plaguing the planet. This is one of the crazier ideas (but we are talking about a world in which the dead are not dying)!

Other than that idea...I think it could be a foreign virus carried to earth from deep space. Wouldn't it be interesting to learn that Venus is a world where nothing dies (considering it has any life at all). I wonder if George mentions anything at all about a Venus probe in Diary...since he's going back to the beginning of the rising. Oh well, just another one of my rants.

Food for thought.

sgrosse
19-Jun-2007, 07:17 PM
I have wondered about this. And of course this is all just speculation about why the dead rise. I am not a religous man, but I do believe in a soul. So to me, what happens is that when someone dies, the soul leaves. Normally the body would just rot away dormant, untll the earth reclaims it. But during the period when the soul leaves the body and the body actually dies, the brain comes back on line, but only uses its basic primitave functions, the soul having taken the learned information back to whereever it goes. Of course, I might just be reading way to much into this. But since the movies never came out and stated why the dead are rising, one theory is just as good as another I guess.

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 08:34 PM
During NOTLD, there was much emphasis put on the Venus probe. This leads me to believe that it did have something to do with the rising. I am beginning to wonder if maybe it couldn't be alien. Not a virus, but an actual alien intelligence taking over and getting rid of the human pestilence plaguing the planet. This is one of the crazier ideas (but we are talking about a world in which the dead are not dying)!

Other than that idea...I think it could be a foreign virus carried to earth from deep space. Wouldn't it be interesting to learn that Venus is a world where nothing dies (considering it has any life at all). I wonder if George mentions anything at all about a Venus probe in Diary...since he's going back to the beginning of the rising. Oh well, just another one of my rants.

Food for thought.

Something else that's interesting about the venus probe. You might even call it an inconsistency. If you pay close attention the broadcaster says in NOTLD that this is a phenomenon which has affected "the eastern third of the country". Why not everywhere else? Why did it originate there and then spread throughout the world? Is it because that's below where the probe was destroyed? This lends credence to the virus theory as well. More food for thought.

acealive1
19-Jun-2007, 09:23 PM

very true. in hindsight,why didnt they just board up all the doors and all that? woulda made more sense and just locking them.

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 09:44 PM
That's a point that has been brought up many times. The definitely didn't put the thought and effort into securing the mall the way it should have been done. I don't think they planned very well. Another example of laziness was that cheap wood paneling they put up to block off the way to the apartment. That should have made been the stongest material possible because it was truly their "safe spot" in the event of an emergency.

acealive1
19-Jun-2007, 11:52 PM
That's a point that has been brought up many times. The definitely didn't put the thought and effort into securing the mall the way it should have been done. I don't think they planned very well. Another example of laziness was that cheap wood paneling they put up to block off the way to the apartment. That should have made been the stongest material possible because it was truly their "safe spot" in the event of an emergency.

very very true. they really should have done more. entire doorway and entrances boarded up with a car in front of it would have set em pretty straight. since there werent that many zombies out when they blocked the entrances.....im thinkin they shoulda caomed out on the roof tops with some rifles for about 10 minutes to "clear the lot".

you notice they were in a hardware store and didnt grab any of the expensive stuff? im thinking particle board and marble woulda done a great deal better. that way flyboy wouldnt have been able to chew his way through the wall. it was like paper mache

darth los
20-Jun-2007, 12:31 AM
Others on these boards tend to disagree with me but i was always of the mind that they should have ben "thinning out the herd" all along. They certainly had the bullets to do so. Look at what happened in the end anyway. All those guns and ammo at the gun store went to waste. Some argue that having the zombies in the lot was a natural defense against looters, but you see how well that worked out. If they had thinned them out the only thing they would have had to worry about were the bikers. They could have let them loot, wait till' they left and fixed the place back up again. They wouldn't have bee faced with the double threat of bikers and ghouls. Without zombies stephen would still be alive and would have never lead them up to the apartment. Just an alternate theory.

sandrock74
20-Jun-2007, 02:42 AM
For lack of anything better, I will go with what John said in "Day of the Dead". I am paraphrasing here but he said he thought it was a punishment from God. We (the human race) were getting too big for our britches; trying to figure His **** out.
I like to have logical, scientific explanations for things but what was happening in these movies defies logical, scientific explanation. I am not above admitting that weird **** happens sometimes and you just accept it and adapt...the altenative is to die out.
By the way, I am one of the people who think that humanity [I]will[I] live through this crisis. In much reduced numbers definately, but survive it will!
Personally, I always loved the Resident Evil games because we knew the zombies were due to an artificial virus created by the Umbrella Corp. Thats the kind of scientific explanation I crave.

acealive1
20-Jun-2007, 02:46 AM
Others on these boards tend to disagree with me but i was always of the mind that they should have ben "thinning out the herd" all along. They certainly had the bullets to do so. Look at what happened in the end anyway. All those guns and ammo at the gun store went to waste. Some argue that having the zombies in the lot was a natural defense against looters, but you see how well that worked out. If they had thinned them out the only thing they would have had to worry about were the bikers. They could have let them loot, wait till' they left and fixed the place back up again. They wouldn't have bee faced with the double threat of bikers and ghouls. Without zombies stephen would still be alive and would have never lead them up to the apartment. Just an alternate theory.

now that's somethin to think about for awhile.

darth los
20-Jun-2007, 02:59 AM
For lack of anything better, I will go with what John said in "Day of the Dead". I am paraphrasing here but he said he thought it was a punishment from God. We (the human race) were getting too big for our britches; trying to figure His **** out.
I like to have logical, scientific explanations for things but what was happening in these movies defies logical, scientific explanation. I am not above admitting that weird **** happens sometimes and you just accept it and adapt...the altenative is to die out.
By the way, I am one of the people who think that humanity [I]will[I] live through this crisis. In much reduced numbers definately, but survive it will!
Personally, I always loved the Resident Evil games because we knew the zombies were due to an artificial virus created by the Umbrella Corp. Thats the kind of scientific explanation I crave.

Need solid evidence do you? lol So on x files you would play scully's role, Never willing to accept a premise without proof. I respect that. With all the things us humans have figured out there's still very little about what we know about how the universe works. Ben said in NOTLD 90', "this is something nobody's ever heard about and nobody's ever seen before." However, just because we can't figure it out doesn't mean that there isn't a scientific explanation for it just that it's beyond our grasp to understand for now. For thousands of years we didn't know what lightning was and where it came from so the ancient greeks just figured that it was an angry zeus tossing them down from atop mt. olympus. There was a scientific explanation for the lightning bolts but it was beyond the understanding of the people at the time.

sandrock74
20-Jun-2007, 07:55 AM
Need solid evidence do you? lol So on x files you would play scully's role, Never willing to accept a premise without proof. I respect that. With all the things us humans have figured out there's still very little about what we know about how the universe works. Ben said in NOTLD 90', "this is something nobody's ever heard about and nobody's ever seen before." However, just because we can't figure it out doesn't mean that there isn't a scientific explanation for it just that it's beyond our grasp to understand for now. For thousands of years we didn't know what lightning was and where it came from so the ancient greeks just figured that it was an angry zeus tossing them down from atop mt. olympus. There was a scientific explanation for the lightning bolts but it was beyond the understanding of the people at the time.

I never was into the X-Files BUT as Star Trek has taught us, what seems to be magical to one race is casual science to another all due to ones understanding of environment and technology.
In a zombie world, I could care less what was making the dead rise and wanting to eat me. Let people like Dr. Logan try to figure that out. Me? I'm gonna hide and run when the situation even begins to look kinda scary. It's all about survival...screw understanding in these circumstances! (It's just my preference to understand the logic behind stuff under NORMAL circumstances.)

darth los
20-Jun-2007, 08:02 AM
I never was into the X-Files BUT as Star Trek has taught us, what seems to be magical to one race is casual science to another all due to ones understanding of environment and technology.
In a zombie world, I could care less what was making the dead rise and wanting to eat me. Let people like Dr. Logan try to figure that out. Me? I'm gonna hide and run when the situation even begins to look kinda scary. It's all about survival...screw understanding in these circumstances! (It's just my preference to understand the logic behind stuff under NORMAL circumstances.)

So that would mean that you're from the john and McDermot school of thought,huh? The ritz wasn't such a bad place to hang.

sandrock74
20-Jun-2007, 11:43 PM
So that would mean that you're from the john and McDermot school of thought,huh? The ritz wasn't such a bad place to hang.

I certainly would have been hanging out with them if I had to live in the cave in Day! I would have felt safest with them than with the dope smoking soldiers and their tyranical leader.
Although, I did agree with Captain Rhodes about killing all the zombies in the pens so they could all live more comfortably.
They should have stopped worrying about the scientists beloved research and been concentrating on locating other survivors and keeping the herd on the other side of their super-fence thinned out.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 12:07 AM
I certainly would have been hanging out with them if I had to live in the cave in Day! I would have felt safest with them than with the dope smoking soldiers and their tyranical leader.
Although, I did agree with Captain Rhodes about killing all the zombies in the pens so they could all live more comfortably.
They should have stopped worrying about the scientists beloved research and been concentrating on locating other survivors and keeping the herd on the other side of their super-fence thinned out.

I certainly agree that they were past the point of no return. Their reseach was basically useless and wasn't going to help the situation or anybody else. Any "answers" they would have found would have been moot. I think the scientists were just driven by their need to know. The rest of them had no such needs and looked at them as if what they were doing was crazy. They all in some way or another carried on their normal duties even though there was no point to it.

sandrock74
21-Jun-2007, 02:08 AM
I certainly agree that they were past the point of no return. Their reseach was basically useless and wasn't going to help the situation or anybody else. Any "answers" they would have found would have been moot. I think the scientists were just driven by their need to know. The rest of them had no such needs and looked at them as if what they were doing was crazy. They all in some way or another carried on their normal duties even though there was no point to it.

Exactly! I never heard it put so to the point. If Logans calculations were right about zombies outnumbering humans 400,000 - 1, there was nothing that they (the scientists) could have discovered that would have mattered at all. I suppose it can be argued that Captain Rhodes was being extraordinarily generous by not blatantly shutting down their experiments and trying to do something else, like making finding other survivors the priority.
We know the Cleveland and Fiddlers Green were both still in the control of humans...

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 03:03 AM
Exactly! I never heard it put so to the point. If Logans calculations were right about zombies outnumbering humans 400,000 - 1, there was nothing that they (the scientists) could have discovered that would have mattered at all. I suppose it can be argued that Captain Rhodes was being extraordinarily generous by not blatantly shutting down their experiments and trying to do something else, like making finding other survivors the priority.
We know the Cleveland and Fiddlers Green were both still in the control of humans...

Based off of land of the dead we do know that now. But put yourself in their place. It was implied that the fuel supply of the whirly bird would only get them 200 miles or so. What then? The couldn't be sure that they would find a place that was safe. It would be the equivelant of of going deep sea diving looking for refuge. You can go as far as your oxygen supply would let you, but then what? You'd be dead, that's what. pittsburgh and cleveland were way too far for that. I'll borrow a line from the oft maligned on this site Dawn 04' which i think sums it up perfectly. It's when Mikhi Phifer says" he might as well be on the moon."

MissJacksonCA
21-Jun-2007, 03:28 AM
To my way of thinking the very idea that there would ever be a way to cure the zombies is a dream of immense proportions. I mean you're talking about a corpse missing its entrails but living a normal life sometime after being 'cured' and that would never happen. As far as searching for why zombies feed and how they came to be I just dont see why the latter is productive and if you can even prove the former. Their time would have been much better spent not locating other survivors but finding a safer place to survive and start over where they could farm the land to grow food and fish from the sea. Hiding in a hole is never a wise idea and looking for other survivors only puts your safety into jeopardy because you can't determine whether they're friends or foes and when you find out it could be too late.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 03:36 AM
To my way of thinking the very idea that there would ever be a way to cure the zombies is a dream of immense proportions. I mean you're talking about a corpse missing its entrails but living a normal life sometime after being 'cured' and that would never happen. As far as searching for why zombies feed and how they came to be I just dont see why the latter is productive and if you can even prove the former. Their time would have been much better spent not locating other survivors but finding a safer place to survive and start over where they could farm the land to grow food and fish from the sea. Hiding in a hole is never a wise idea and looking for other survivors only puts your safety into jeopardy because you can't determine whether they're friends or foes and when you find out it could be too late.

Like i said, they needed to know why. It's a basic human need. Like if a man cheats on you it's not enough to know he did it, you would want to know why. it's not enough for mankind to know we're here, we have to know why and where we came from, it's what drives us.

sandrock74
21-Jun-2007, 03:38 AM
As far as friends or foes, I would bet that a military presence would keep any possible trouble makers in line. It worked in Land.
To help them find survivors, they could look for better radios or set up some relays...Bill said they had communications with Washington with the use of relays. If they made the location of survivors the priority they would have figured something out!

mista_mo
21-Jun-2007, 03:38 AM
Buddha got pissed off at jesus for being better then him and unleashed the living dead on humanity, in the guise of the christian religion. Afterall, why blame the fat peace loving buddha when you can blame Jesus, who said the rapture would come with the end of the world.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 03:45 AM
As far as friends or foes, I would bet that a military presence would keep any possible trouble makers in line. It worked in Land.
To help them find survivors, they could look for better radios or set up some relays...Bill said they had communications with Washington with the use of relays. If they made the location of survivors the priority they would have figured something out!
that all sounds nice but you still ahven't explained how they would find this equiptment or survivors for that matter. They already said they went as far up and down the coast as hey could go and found absolutely nothing. Like steel said " what anyone else? we're it!"

MissJacksonCA
21-Jun-2007, 03:55 AM
in the beginning i'm sure the military personnel that didn't abandon their duties were entirely honorable but the long and short of it is they were gonna turn that underground bunker into a prison rape scene on lori cardille... I think that can tell ya they were scum...

But as I've said in posts on other boards as far as other survivors... if you found other survivors traveling alone or in a small group of a few and you bring them back to your safety zone they're going to expect you to keep them safe and they're going to expect to be able to stay... that means sharing what you have with them... and you dont know who they are so you dont know that you can trust them just because you're the only living people in a dead world... next... if you find a large group of survivors they may want whatever you have...

generally its unwise to assume that people are going to band together just because you're the only survivors... its more likely that they're going to take what they want from you and kill you... you have to prepare yourself for that possibility so you see it coming...

its like any good football coach says... a good offense is better than a good defense...

and in case I haven't plugged it enough... the walking dead people! read it buy it... worship it on the holy chair filled with water if you must! its gold baby

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 04:02 AM
in the beginning i'm sure the military personnel that didn't abandon their duties were entirely honorable but the long and short of it is they were gonna turn that underground bunker into a prison rape scene on lori cardille... I think that can tell ya they were scum...

But as I've said in posts on other boards as far as other survivors... if you found other survivors traveling alone or in a small group of a few and you bring them back to your safety zone they're going to expect you to keep them safe and they're going to expect to be able to stay... that means sharing what you have with them... and you dont know who they are so you dont know that you can trust them just because you're the only living people in a dead world... next... if you find a large group of survivors they may want whatever you have...

generally its unwise to assume that people are going to band together just because you're the only survivors... its more likely that they're going to take what they want from you and kill you... you have to prepare yourself for that possibility so you see it coming...

its like any good football coach says... a good offense is better than a good defense...

and in case I haven't plugged it enough... the walking dead people! read it buy it... worship it on the holy chair filled with water if you must! its gold baby

When it comes to supplies it's you also have to consider if you would even want other people with you. Let's say you have enough food and water to last 2 years. If you come across 5 more people that supply might only last you six months or a year. It's all about survival and taking on more people might not be conducive to that.

MissJacksonCA
21-Jun-2007, 04:31 AM
Well you also have to trust that those people aren't going to steal from the rations...

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 05:09 AM
Well you also have to trust that those people aren't going to steal from the rations...

As you should know by now trust and people shouldn't even being the same sentence. However, i'm not even talking about that. Just by their presence they're taking food out of your mouth. They have to eat right? That means you're going to have less and won't be able live as long.

acealive1
21-Jun-2007, 05:49 AM
As you should know by now trust and people shouldn't even being the same sentence. However, i'm not even talking about that. Just by their presence they're taking food out of your mouth. They have to eat right? That means you're going to have less and won't be able live as long.

the more you kill,the longer u live. i'd drop caps in @sses to save myself.:lol:

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 05:59 AM
It only makes sense. Questions of morality aside, staying away from people when they would make your life sustaining supplies dwindle makes perfect sense. C.J. from dawn 04' had the same mentality. He couldn't give 2 sh8ts about other people. He wanted to live and if other people had to die to ensure that goal, so be it.

sandrock74
21-Jun-2007, 07:28 PM
The ONLY way ANYONE could hope to live long term in the zombie world is if they learn to grow fruits and vegetables and hunt for meat.
Period.
All food (frozen or canned) will go bad after a year or two. Then what? You need to think ahead...

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 10:30 PM
The ONLY way ANYONE could hope to live long term in the zombie world is if they learn to grow fruits and vegetables and hunt for meat.
Period.
All food (frozen or canned) will go bad after a year or two. Then what? You need to think ahead...

Taking into account that farming skills are lost on 95% of the population i gues they would be goners.These are things that people just don't know how to do anymore. That's why i have so much respect for commandos and outdoor woodsman type guys. They could live of the land in the event of an emergency. Most other people would be stuck if even their cell phone stopped working.

Philly_SWAT
21-Jun-2007, 10:37 PM
Period.

I dont think you would have to do that. Fruits and vegatables are more than capable of growing without humans doing anything to help them along. Existing trees would continue to bear fruit. Ever throw a watermellon rhine out in the grass? The seeds will take root themselves and grow vines. We can live without meat if we have to. Again, I think most people would be able to take to shooting a gun pretty quick if pressed into it. Fishing might be even easier.

Your point about canned and frozen food is well taken. That would either run out or go bad after a while. But a person could live off the land without having any particular hunting or farmer skills.

MissJacksonCA
21-Jun-2007, 11:00 PM
As someone who considers herself an avid gardener its not entirely difficult to plant fruit and veggies... the hard part is keeping it protected against animals, zombies and keeping it watered. Additionally by eating and passing excrement you're making some spiffy fertilizer for your crops :) just watch Paradise Road hehe...

But to be fair... Twinkies and assumingly any other similar item dont ever go bad... ever... there may be a date but they do not go bad!

Oh yeah the hardest part of growing fruit and veggies is getting the seeds too... it prolly wont be easy breaking into Home Depot depending on whether they were closed during the zombie outbreak or open. When they're closed they're hard to break into (not that i'm speaking from personal experience just an observation because I think its important to plan to break in to every place you've ever been in case you're ever surrounded by zombies) and need something from there...

Its actually an essential to maintain perfect form in the event of a zombie outbreak by eating well and exercising with precision in order to function at your peak. I have to wonder how long 'living off the woods' will sustain you at top performance.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 11:08 PM
I dont think you would have to do that. Fruits and vegatables are more than capable of growing without humans doing anything to help them along. Existing trees would continue to bear fruit. Ever throw a watermellon rhine out in the grass? The seeds will take root themselves and grow vines. We can live without meat if we have to. Again, I think most people would be able to take to shooting a gun pretty quick if pressed into it. Fishing might be even easier.

Your point about canned and frozen food is well taken. That would either run out or go bad after a while. But a person could live off the land without having any particular hunting or farmer skills.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one. Sure people could live off the land and eat the indigenous fruits veggies and plants, but there's a problem with that. The amount of vegetation it would take to sutain a group of people, say within a mile radius wouls deplete fairly quickly, atleast quicker thatn the time it would take to grow new ones to take their place so they would have to leave in search of more food. This is what humans did for tens of thousands of years. They had to be hunter gatherers until the inovations of farming techniques and irrigation came along. this allowed them to stay situated in one area. Then they started to turn their interests to other areas when getting food and water for the day was no longer a primary concern. They started making art, writing and other cool inventions. So yes i think they would indeed need some semblance of farming skills if they wanted to survive.