View Full Version : getting a felony sealed

Cody
19-Jun-2007, 03:02 AM
my friend asked me this question but i didnt know the answer so im gonna ask it on here

he got a 2nd degree felony when he was 17, he was wondering how much it would cost to get his record sealed or on how to do this

any info guys?

MissJacksonCA
19-Jun-2007, 04:41 AM
Darth would be a better authority here but sealed I think it depends on the crime and the age you were when it happened. Because they're doing things like trying 12 year olds as adults good luck they may consider 17 above the seal rate.

darth los
19-Jun-2007, 04:51 AM
my friend asked me this question but i didnt know the answer so im gonna ask it on here

he got a 2nd degree felony when he was 17, he was wondering how much it would cost to get his record sealed or on how to do this

any info guys?

That's a tough one because matters like these are left up to the states to legislate. Subsequently, every state does it differently. In New York. It all depends whether or not the judge and the district attorney charge him as a juvenille offender, because there are a whole other set of sentencing guidlines for those who fall into that bracket. Him being 17 is very tricky because he is right on the cusp of adulthood and they might not want to charge him as a minor. Then it's also up to them if they're going to allow your records to be sealed upon turning 18. This is just as good as expunging it from your record because even though the record is still there it can never be used against you if you ever got in trouble again. In New York a certain amount of time has to pass after the commission of a felony in order to get your record sealed and to restore any franchise rights that you might be stripped of when you were convicted of the felony. Like i said it varies from state to state, so the best thing to do is ask yourprobation/parole officer and they''ll most likely be able to fill you in on the requirements. I hope this hepled, if not ask me another question and i'll try to be more specific.