PDA

View Full Version : 10 years of perfect driving ruined...

DeadJonas190
21-Jun-2007, 05:39 AM
I yielded at a red light instead of stopping and wouldn't you know it, there was a cop.

I was tired, trying to get home from work tonight and this happens. The first time in my 10 years of driving I get a ticket and it's because of something so stupid.

Neil
21-Jun-2007, 10:01 AM
I yielded at a red light instead of stopping and wouldn't you know it, there was a cop.

I was tired, trying to get home from work tonight and this happens. The first time in my 10 years of driving I get a ticket and it's because of something so stupid.

Do you have a points system or anything? ie: When you've paid your fine, is there any 'blemish' lef ton your licence?

bassman
21-Jun-2007, 12:22 PM
Do you have a points system or anything? ie: When you've paid your fine, is there any 'blemish' lef ton your licence?

I'm pretty sure that this whole country has that. Then again....it might be a state-by-state thing, so don't quote me on that.

It could always be worse, deadjonas.....

My first ticket/accident was me getting T-boned by a lady going about 50-60mph and flipping my truck 3 times. When I stopped flipping, my drive shaft, rear axle, both rear wheels and tires landed in the bed of my truck.

Crazy....

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 05:05 PM
I can tell you that New York has a point system And they slowly decrease as time goes by. At the end of 3 years they're toatlly gone. Unless you get a ticket of course.

Philly_SWAT
21-Jun-2007, 08:34 PM
I can tell you that New York has a point system And they slowly decrease as time goes by. At the end of 3 years they're toatlly gone. Unless you get a ticket of course.I think that most States have a similiar points system, and youre right, after a few years, the points go away. I have had my fair share of points over the years, mainly for speeding. And thats not even counting all the times I was let go with no ticket. I guess it helps when you work for the local paper......:)

Tied2thetracks
21-Jun-2007, 09:48 PM
In WI we start with 12 points, each infraction you lose points for.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 09:58 PM
I think that most States have a similiar points system, and youre right, after a few years, the points go away. I have had my fair share of points over the years, mainly for speeding. And thats not even counting all the times I was let go with no ticket. I guess it helps when you work for the local paper......:)

I would have thought you charmed the cops with dead debates and your ppics with gar. :D

Philly_SWAT
21-Jun-2007, 10:30 PM
I was almost in WI last week. I took a trip to Chicago. Maybe I saw some of it from atop the Sears tower.

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 10:53 PM
My first ticket/accident was me getting T-boned by a lady going about 50-60mph and flipping my truck 3 times. When I stopped flipping, my drive shaft, rear axle, both rear wheels and tires landed in the bed of my truck.
Crazy....

And you got ticketed for that!?! :eek: Then they wonder why people hate the cops.

MissJacksonCA
21-Jun-2007, 11:44 PM
well i'm glad you're not blaming the cop for ticketing you...

darth los
21-Jun-2007, 11:57 PM

With all that was going on the cop gave him a ticket. I bet that's the first thing the cop was concerned about. Making his quota.

MissJacksonCA
22-Jun-2007, 12:08 AM
short of him having a heart attack and driving himself to the hospital he should have gotten a ticket he broke the law...

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 12:14 AM
short of him having a heart attack and driving himself to the hospital he should have gotten a ticket he broke the law...

I'm just saying. A ticket doesn't take priority. He could have very well gotten it through the mail.

DeadJonas190
22-Jun-2007, 12:34 AM

It is quota time, I see the same cop pulling people over in the parking lot of the Blockbuster I work at the last 10 days of the month. I am pretty sure that if it happened between the 1-15 nothing would have happened, but oh well, apparantly I ran a red light at quota time.

As for the points, yes, we have them here and they do go away over time.

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 12:45 AM
It is quota time, I see the same cop pulling people over in the parking lot of the Blockbuster I work at the last 10 days of the month. I am pretty sure that if it happened between the 1-15 nothing would have happened, but oh well, apparantly I ran a red light at quota time.

As for the points, yes, we have them here and they do go away over time.

That's the thing that bugs me about quotas. If it's a crime then enforce it. You don't let people slide sometimes and then bust them at others. That's why cops let people off sometimes. They have the discretion to just not enforce the law when it suits them. That shouldn't be an option. Law enforcement has to be consistent.

Debbieangel
22-Jun-2007, 12:48 AM
Oh ya quota time...they try to say there is no such thing! Lies!
Hubby and I were on our way shopping on a major small highway and with in10 minutes of driving time we saw 4 cars pulled over on same highway, this was at the end of the month.
Any other time on that road you are hardpressed to see a cop on that stretch of highway!;)

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 12:55 AM
Oh ya quota time...they try to say there is no such thing! Lies!
Hubby and I were on our way shopping on a major small highway and with in10 minutes of driving time we saw 4 cars pulled over on same highway, this was at the end of the month.
Any other time on that road you are hardpressed to see a cop on that stretch of highway!;)

everyone knows they exist. The municipality has to have a minimum amount of revenue. Tickets help ensure that.

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2007, 11:12 AM
Fortunately I haven't met a cop due to driving, or met a cop due to anything in fact (and I'd like to keep it that way).

I got a parking ticket a few weeks back, (my somewhat subdued strop was hilarious when I think back :D), but otherwise I'm clean, and again I'd like to keep it that way. I drive much better than I did on occasion a few years ago - you know how it is, young, impatient and invincible...not these days though.

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 11:55 AM
Fortunately I haven't met a cop due to driving, or met a cop due to anything in fact (and I'd like to keep it that way).

I got a parking ticket a few weeks back, (my somewhat subdued strop was hilarious when I think back :D), but otherwise I'm clean, and again I'd like to keep it that way. I drive much better than I did on occasion a few years ago - you know how it is, young, impatient and invincible...not these days though.

That's almost unbelievable that you never ran into a cop you fine upstanding citizen you. As for the last statement, that's the definition of being young. Never apologize for it. You're supposed to be those things. One question, do the cops over there carry guns at all?

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2007, 02:28 PM
Cops don't have guns here, special units do for terrorist related things, or raids or really serious stuff. If some lunatic is out with a gun threatening people then the guns come out, but day-to-day - nope. They have a stick and some mace. :lol:

Meanwhile the crims have big f*ck off knives and an arsenal of shooters.

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 05:26 PM
Cops don't have guns here, special units do for terrorist related things, or raids or really serious stuff. If some lunatic is out with a gun threatening people then the guns come out, but day-to-day - nope. They have a stick and some mace. :lol:

Meanwhile the crims have big f*ck off knives and an arsenal of shooters.

I'm sorry to say but i don't have any other way to put this: That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard of. So if a crime that involves a gun they have to radio in for gun support!?!:eek: I've heard it all now.

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry to say but i don't have any other way to put this: That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard of. So if a crime that involves a gun they have to radio in for gun support!?!:eek: I've heard it all now.
That's the UK for you...really bizarre ways of doing things these days.

I wouldn't want all cops carrying guns, because there are bad apples and there are complete incompetants, but cops flat out NEED guns in this day and age.

It's like trying to put out the fire of London by pissing on it.

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 07:31 PM
i agree. Atleast you have free healthcare...right? :confused:

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2007, 07:39 PM
i agree. Atleast you have free healthcare...right? :confused:
Free, but not very good at all currently.

Hospitals are closing, consultants and doctors utterly played the gubment and got MORE money for LESS HOURS. There's not enough doctors generally, not enough nurses, the nurses themselves are paid a pittance for one of the worst and most depressing jobs on the planet...the Health Secretary HERSELF said 'you're better off not going into hospital as you're most likely going to come out worse off' - no sh*t, she REALLY f*cking said that! :eek:

Hospitals are still in massive amounts of debt, waiting lists are stupidly long, MRSA (a hideous "super bug" which happens when you don't clean hospitals properly) seems to be all over the place, people have DIED from it, others have been rendered incredibly ill or even handicapped from it.

The system itself is choked with beaurocrats and pen pushers, it's a complete shambles.

It was Labour's idea in the first place (many years ago), and a good idea it was, but it's been mishandled utterly and is a complete mess. I don't trust the NHS at all and hope I don't have to go to hospital for a very long time for anything.

The NHS also includes dentistry, but dentists make piss all money via NHS dentistry, so many are hopping onto the expensive private system, so there's a huge shortage of NHS dentists, and this affects the lower class the hardest, but affects the middle class a lot too. I'm fortunate enough that - well for now anyway - my dentist is remaining NHS and has principles, but many people aren't as fortunate. :(

Another kicker is, we pay a tax known as "national insurance", which people assume (probably because of the name) that it pays specifically for the National Health Service - but it doesn't. The money goes into one big pot and gets spent on anything and everything (probably some ludicrously expensive redesign of the Home Office logo which won't be used anyway, or something equally as stupid).

So yeah we have free healthcare ... but it's utter shiite right now, wasn't sh*t hot before, but in the last 10 years it's just gone so far downhill it's utterly shocking.

MissJacksonCA
22-Jun-2007, 07:43 PM
MZ thats outrageous I can't believe that (I do but y'know...)

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 07:54 PM
So would you rather have marginally better healthcare in most cases but have to pay for it? It's definitely a quandry. If something is free, it's more times than not. not going to be top notch.

MinionZombie
22-Jun-2007, 10:06 PM
There's "not top notch" and then there's "you're better off not going to hospital as you'll come out worse off" ... the NHS is now the latter.

Free healthcare should be there for everybody, you don't choose to fall ill, it's a service the gubment SHOULD be providing, and it should be a good service. It doesn't have to be superb (like Private is apparently supposed to be), but hell no I ain't paying to go private, I can't afford it and nor can the majority of the UK - ergo, we need a system that WORKS!

I think it's sick that you don't have the same in America, it's a really good idea, it just needs to be handled properly, even merely decently, but Labour have bolloxed it up big style in the last 10 years. The health secretery herself saying you're best not going as you'll come out worse just says it all really, and yet they don't seem to give a single bollox about it. Absolutely sick, a real contempt for the population. :(

A free health service which does the job simply enough, I think everyone should have access to that. Private health care is rather poncy by comparison.

You don't neeeeed a TV in there. You don't neeeeed your own room, you don't neeeeed the internet, a phone connection and private en suite ... what you do need is to know that if you're unlucky enough to have an accident or fall ill, that the support you need is there ready & waiting and will do what you ask of them - to fix you up/cure you.

In the 21st century, in one of the top countries in the world, is it too much to ask for something so basic and so necessary?

Oh, but they're all too pleased to twitter on about Resistance: Fall of Man, or throw some spy cameras into your bin to calculate your ever-so-trendy "carbon footprint" and then tax you some more on top of all the other cash that's been sucked out of your wallet.

F*cking sick, twisted bastards. :mad::mad::mad:

Blow the lot of them up!

MikePizzoff
22-Jun-2007, 10:11 PM
The very first time my girlfriend drank and drove she rear-ended a car at a red light, which sent it into the intersection and caused it to hit another vehicle which then, I believe, hit ANOTHER vehicle. In the end three people got sent the hospital from it.

Needless to say, she learned her lesson. She should have never done it in the first place. I was extremely pissed at her.

darth los
22-Jun-2007, 11:34 PM
Unfortunately, as is with most cases, people have to learn the hard way. Thank god she's okay, which is what's really important. I would have been pissed at my girlfriend as well. Then again i usually am anyway.